Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julieschrader

Enough slacking ... time to accessorize

Jules
9 years ago

We moved into our house in early June and decided to put decorating on the back burner in order to relax and enjoy summer. Time's up. Now I have to get busy, starting with my living room.

Below are mostly photos taken when we first moved in. I admittedly plunked items onto shelves and tables without much thoughtfulness since we had company arriving quickly, and the company didn't cease. We've since added rustic end tables flanking the sofa (light blue painted old barn wood), a large cocktail table, 10 white slipcovered chairs around the dining table and not much else.

I've linked to my kitchen thread below so you can see photos of the adjoining space and colors.

Needed:
1. Art over fireplace mantle - Should I go with a single piece or a collection of items? Any specific ideas? Chase is 8' wide to give you an idea of scale.
2. Books - Several boxes have yet to be unpacked.
3. Tchotchkes - Accepting suggestions on rearranging, omitting or adding relatively useless knick knacky items. Pottery, glass? Color?
4. Window treatments - I have rods and plan to hang four curtain panels on each set of sliders. Should I go with white linen? A pattern with color?
5. Something in between sliders - A set of chairs? Tall shelves with even more books and tchotchkes?
6. Different lamps or maybe just lampshades. I kind of like the glass ghost bases in this room.

Thanks so much for your input!
Julie

I could use a cute little table between these chairs:

Colors:

Dark photo of the sets of sliders:

Here is a link that might be useful: Adjoining kitchen

Comments (40)

• Jules
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the area rug.

• Jules
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are some ideas I had for art over the fireplace.

My original inspiration for this room:

Similar:

Fun and whimsical. I would probably have my talented niece paint something similar featuring our views of dune grass and beach. I've seen various interpretations of swinging from the clouds:

• lucillle
    9 years ago

Julie your home is stunning. Wow.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

Stunning house! I'm definitely a fan of less is more. I like big statement pieces and not a lot of knick-knacks, epecially since the kitchen elevation is already busy visually. If you don't need drapes for privacy, I would leave the windows bare.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Wow....if that is your idea of " plunking things on shelves without much thoughtfulness" can you please come and do that at my house?

Your house is lovely....I don't think you need to do much. Vote yes for plain drape panels or a very subtle pattern, tone on tone type. Love both art prints you are considering.

• rgps
    9 years ago

Oh my goodness. White never looked so good. One big painting over the mantle for sure. Minimal riffraff. Only what you need and use. Except books. You can never have too many books if they are read and loved. I would put some window treatment in however because you have plenty of room on the sides of your windows/doors so they can be all the way back and not impinge on the view. I like the color panels in the inspiration room.

Love the color of the glass bottles. I'd use more of that color if you want a break somewhere from all white.

A lot of times people have an inspiration room that looks like Versailles and the end result looks like Elvis and Liberace doing the limbo. But you have nailed it. Congrats.

• lizzie_grow
    9 years ago

OKâ¦when can I move in??? I LOVE your home & would suggest nothing, except a lovely, slightly whimsical painting above your mantlel. I love the one with the woman on the swing seemingly coming out of the clouds. Otherwise, perfecto!!

• lizzie_grow
    9 years ago

OKâ¦when can I move in??? I LOVE your home & would suggest nothing, except a lovely, slightly whimsical painting above your mantle. I love the one with the woman on the swing seemingly coming out of the clouds. Otherwise, perfecto!! Oh, maybe a round adjustable piano stool between the chairs if you want something there.

• finallyhome
    9 years ago

Looks finished to me. Just beautiful. Wonderful job.

• Jules
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the nice compliments!

A piano stool is a good idea, lizzie. I'll check some out.

I hadn't considered tan curtain panels, rgps. Hmmm. I have an extra one hanging around and will try it. I agree about never having too many books. I walked into a resale shop a couple weeks ago and it felt like home ... stacks of books everywhere, lots of artwork, loud jazz. That's exactly how I want my house to feel ... coupled with a beach vibe. I do need a dose of "rich hippy" added to the mix, I think.

joanie, I believe we could all benefit from a visit from other GWers to lend ideas on site. I have thought to myself that I'd very much like a "GWers on loan" program. I serve good food and wine and have a nice view! Who's interested?

I feel I need more textures and layers, so please share opinions on how I might pull that off. Thanks!

• alex9179
    9 years ago

Wow! No wonder you've had non-stop guests! That place is fantastic.

Accessorizing bookcases without being there is hard. After you get your books unpacked and an idea of their placement, gather your goodies on the table and group them by color/material. Use one or two of the groupings to fill in the spaces. Looks like a lot of silvery/mercury glass? The sea glass colored bottles would look good with those. Or look for items that share a sentimental thread. Stuff that makes you feel warm and fuzzy when you look at them.

Right now, I think I like the top of the shelves empty. Maybe really large scale pottery, if you find something that complements your painting.

Yes on one big piece of art. Clear the mantle. I'd probably try the obelisks there if I felt it needed something.

Is the table in the corner, behind the chairs, too large to go between the sliders? It would be a great place for serving cocktails or watching the view with a cup of something soothing. I'll link to a picture with a table and chairs that I just love, with furniture to your taste. It would be nice for games, too.

What about plants? A couple of BIG ones and then a few smaller scattered about the area.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• edie_thiel
    9 years ago

LOVE your place. I think the artwork that you're looking at would be fabulous above the mantel and would add a bit more of the blue color. If you have any other items in those shades of blue that you like and enjoy, I would find places to put them in the room also.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Jujubean, i want your house! Lots of wonderful homes here on GW, but yours is exactly what I would want in a beach house-or year round house which it would be for me if I had yours!!! Can't imagine wanting to be anywhere else.

In answer to questions: one large piece of art for sure. I like the swing suspended from the cloud one! A huge abstract could be cool, too (I love the idea of a Rothko-esque color field painting there).

I would fill the shelves with books.

You outdid your inspiration photo! Love your chandelier, rugs, stove, everything. Now, relax and enjoy.

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

I think everything looks great already. I love the pale blue accents and would like to see more of that color on the shelves, although I just love the silver accents.
    I could see pale blue sheer drapes( the color of the two large chairs) or white drapes on your doors.
    I like the color in the painting of the girl in a swing.
    Of course, no one will notice your decor with a view out the window!

• nancyocean
    9 years ago

Your house is gorgeous, I love your taste. Have you thought of something round over fireplace? With all the squares and angles, I think something round might be nice. I think your house is better than the inspiration house and that's not an easy thing to do.

• Jules
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Seems that a single art piece is the consensus. I agree with you, kitchenlover, that a round shape would work well, but what could be used besides a clock or mirror? I'd prefer not to use either.

cyn I'll look up Rothko art.

Karen and Kees, I'm with you on more blue on the shelves. Maybe from book binders. I do have to add family photos, so that is also a possibility.

alex, thanks for the tips. I like the thought of incorporating plants but fear they'd die (thus the fake hydrangeas scattered about along with fresh cut flowers only meant to be temporary). Any suggestions on easy-to-care-for varieties?

I sincerely appreciate all the sweet feedback! I designed every inch of this house with only ideas floating in my head, and it's been fun to see the ideas come to life -- first on paper and then in reality.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Lovely home!

For some reason, I want to see a large metallic sculpture of a seagull over the fireplace...or maybe a tree of life. But I think the texture of a sculpture could be more interesting than a painting.

I was looking for a small table for by my chair in my bedroom nook, and I came across these guys. In addition to other lovely things, they make drink tables which are just what I need. Maybe you'd find something you like too. They are hand forged metal and offer stone, wood or glass tops.

Here is a link that might be useful: Charleston forge

• deeinohio
    9 years ago

Love your house! It's ironic you looking for art since your recent post about seeing houses in real life/ Houzz led me to the artist David Witbeck (his painting was above the mantel in that house). I ordered a signed print, and love it. It will be in our newly built weekend lake house (not nearly as grand as yours).

Anyway, may I suggest a bowl of sea glass/clear glass floats? I have a group of cobalt blue and green Blenko ones I'll be using, as well as one of their large glass fish, like below. They also have the fish in blue, which would look terrific on your dining table.

And, may I ask, is that a Jaipur rug? Do you find it thick enough?

• alex9179
    9 years ago

Sansaveria (snake plant) is pretty hard to kill and does well in a variety of light conditions.

Cast Iron plant - good for those low light inner corners that needs SOMETHING but nothing else gives you the Ah-ha.

Aloe in bright indirect light or out on the deck. Great for burns or other skin issues.

Parlor Palm (Chamaedorea elegans) also good for bright indirect light. A little fussier about watering as it likes even moisture and hates over watering. I have a couple that live outside in the shade of my overhang. Still too much sun for them but I haven't even come close to killing them.

Believe it or not, I think a Home Depot orchid (Phalaenopsis) would do well. I got one on Valentines day this year and it's doing great. You want it planted in a bark mix. Water very well once a week and let the water drain away - I do this in the sink. It loves bright, indirect light. Mine is on a table by north facing sliders. It's blooming like crazy right now and absolutely no trouble. I do spray orchid food on the base once or twice a month, when I remember.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Jujubean, your house is my new favorite! The scale is wonderful--- big but not overwhelmingly so, very much still on a human scale. Love the white siding, the fireplace, the windows, lighting, everything!!

You already have a lot of chairs in the room, the dining chairs can be pulled into the seating area if need be,so I wouldn't necessarily go for more chairs between the sets of sliders. I would probably do a console and mirror over it as a place for flower arrangements, sea oats in a jar, anything organic. The mirrors would be fun.....glass mosaic frame on one side of the room, greyed driftwood frame on the other? Ditto for the console tables, you can do your rich hippie thing there with chipped turquoise paint, inlaid bone, etc.

Love the idea of a few trees in that fantastic space, just like the inspiration room! And love the cloud hanging star swimmer painting for your mantel, maybe with sconces on either side or maybe not. You cannot go wrong with white panels, but it you want a touch of color I would try to find wide horizontal striped panels in white and blue or aqua (picking up a color in your future painting over the mantel).

"Accessorizing" the shelves with books, perfect of course, and I might try a rustic element in antique buoys that are all chippy paint and different colors. For bookshelves they have the added advantage of being heavy enough to ask as a bookstop :-)

Absolutely. LOVE. your. house!

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

I love it just as it is! Given that, whatever you add/change, is sure to be fabulous!!!

(Add me to the list of those wanting to move in!)

• amykath
    9 years ago

It is gorgeous! I added one of the pieces of art you posted. I think it would look great with a white matt and a frame. Alone, it seems to overwhelm the space with color. I tried the other you posted and it did not go in my opinion. I think some soft curtains would be great. I am not sure if you want white or a nice linen color.

• Jules
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Annie, I actually looked intently for sailboat sculptures at art shows this summer but no luck. I think I'd need a fairly huge one (very expensive) over the mantle, so I may go with a smaller sculpture on a different wall when I find one I like. Thanks for the link to Charleston Forge.

dee, I totally missed the Witbeck artwork in the Riptide DR. Love it! How fun. Which piece did you buy? I really want the one with the fisherman holding the oversized lobster, but I'm not sure it would fit at our house in Florida. Too northeastern seaboard maybe? We have lobster art there done by my niece but I'll have to see. Yes, the rug is Jaipur, and it's not very thick but thick enough IMO. I bought a rug pad for it that I didn't end up using. I'm going to look up Blenko right now.

alex, thanks for the plant info. kswl, isn't it funny but I've looked at my inspiration picture dozens of times and completely overlooked the humungo tree in the middle of the room! Whaaat? Interesting what our minds edit out. That tree is an example of something that would sadly not survive in my care.

Really nice of you to say, cat and kswl!

Re: wide striped curtains, what do you think of these?

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

Sorry - no comment here. I'm still digesting the *slacking* part. Having followed your build on the other forum I know that's a big fat lie, to say nothing of the pictures above that are drool-worthy !!! I'm working my way up to slacking in your category ;-)

• rgps
    9 years ago

I like those striped curtains a lot. Interesting idea.

• joshuasamah
    9 years ago

Juju. Could you share the name of the artist in the first art photo you posted? I love it Beautiful home you have created. Just spectacular!

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Your accessories are tiny compared to the scale of the light, fireplace and walls. Stand back and they are lost.

I would add some larger things in intense colors - teal, sea-green, etc. and maybe wood and dark metals.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Love those colors in the wide stripe curtains, they are fabulous! They also give you another two colors for upholstery and accessories. In your room I don't think I would use any prints in upholstery, just the solid white or other color(s), as I think the color blocking vibe is great for a large space like yours.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Slacking. Uh-huh! Your room is gorgeous. So open and airy and casual and just gorgeous!

As far as adding the special touches, I will give you advice I can never seem to take myself - patience. You want something with character, something unique, something local, something with scale and presence. I have no idea what it is but it will present itself someday. In the meantime, you will just have to "suffer" with this fabulous room.

As for a little table inbetween, garden stools are hot right now and come in very cool colors and patterns. I also like the tables they have at Horchow IIRC and Jayson Home. But so many things can work, does your community have many antique stores?

I will also say that your inspiration room doesn't appear to be a beachhouse. For your beachhouse, I think you should bring the ocean in more. I know that can veer hokey, but OTOH there are so many beautiful things about the ocean, shells, driftwood, seaglass. You don't want to over do it, but there should be a nod to the ocean IMHO. There are some very tasteful examples.

BTW, I am horrible at connecting names and houses, but now I remember your kitchen. Whatever happened to the wonderful painting you considered putting above your stove?

• Jules
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ooooh, I like that aktillery. Thanks for the mock up. I'd ask my niece to use the shades of blue I'm already using in the room. And of course the woman will be me ... a few pounds ago. :)

Joshua, do you mean the artist featured in my inspiration room? I don't know. All I know is it's Howie Mandel's former Cape Cod style home in California that I found on the Hooked on Houses blog some time ago.

Lazy, you are spot on. I need some larger scale items but have such a hard time finding them. Specific suggestions are welcome and appreciated! For instance, I'm going to place an order for the Blenko dee recommended.

dlm, thank you. I had good reason to slack after the first world problem of being exhausted after all the decisions involved in a custom build. I do recognize how obnoxious that sounds.

mtn, the painting is still sitting atop my range the same way it was three months ago. I have lots of art around the house leaning against walls. This is where the slacking comes in. I have yet to call the artist to inquire about alternative/custom options but am going to tomorrow! I hear you on being patient ... so hard to do. A garden stool is a good idea and so readily available. Also going to order one of those tomorrow. We're actually on Lake Michigan vs ocean (feels like the sea though), so no shells but I've used lots of rope, grasses, sand, lanterns, sailboats, glass, rocks, decorative driftwood in fireplace during summer. What else, what else?

Thanks everyone!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Hey, what about some throws? Great striped cotton ones. Those are always fun and useful too...

Esty for some throw pillows, too. The prices there are so reasonable you can switch them out like fashion.

For the other stuff, haunt the antique shops and craft fairs. And a niece who can paint? Lucky you.

• joshuasamah
    9 years ago

Juju thanks for the info I was referring to the painting of the woman in the inner tube If you know the artist It would be great

• Jules
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh yes, that one is by Beth Carver who exhibits at art shows in Florida. Wait 'til you see how fun her pieces are.

Mtn - check, check.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beth Carver

• amykath
    9 years ago

Here is a mucky rendering of the striped curtains I added to one of your photos. Hope it is helpful.

• joshuasamah
    9 years ago

Thank you Juju!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Juju,

This is really out there, but here goes! I was in a waiting room today at the vet's and they had Country Living. I saw a bench in there, not sure if you have any place for it or if you hate it, but figured a Michigander might like the link to the automotive tradition!

There are called tailgate benches and they are on Etsy. There are many different kinds.
    Probably too rustic for you, but I am a sucker for any kind of patina...

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

You may also want to try "Lake Michigan Art" either under "handmade" or under "vintage", on Etsy.

They had a cool retro travel map of Lake Mi/ Chicago and one of Mackinac Island Bridge. Also some great photos, eg

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I couldnt post this photo above but here is an example of MI travel posters.

I don't know where you are but there seem to be a lot of choices.

Here is a link that might be useful: travel posters for Lake MI

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

How about a Daum sailboat?

• Jules
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cool ideas. Thank you!

I really like glass pieces, chippy benches and vintage art. You guys know what I'm after!

I've been looking but haven't found vintage art for my city (Ludington) with my colors. Of course I need both. Maybe I'll just have to design a line. :)