Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

How to make my LR cozy?

User
13 years ago

This is long as usual so please bare with me. I can't believe I'm bring this up but I've been thinking about it on and off for awhile now. Please be gentle.

I don't feel like my room oozes cozy. Matter of fact, my kid sister just told me it's looks stuffy and like you shouldn't touch anything or sit down. Nice. (I did ask.)

I can't go replacing everything because it's not practical and DH will have a cow. The arrangement needs to stay as is. I know the set up isn't perfect for the room but I've tried literally about everything else (suggestions from here) and this is how it stays for now so please... don't go there.

Some ideas:

I was thinking maybe replace the wing chair (which was a $15 CL find) with something more club style. It is comfy but more formal looking. Maybe change out that round end table to something less formal as I can't picture that working beside a club style chair. I DO like the other fancy/Frenchy end table between the couch/loveseat. I know it's too high but again, I like it and the wide surface space is nice for drinks, etc.

I'm finding myself drawn to less froo froo things (used to be the more ornate the better). The half table (carved with marble top) will be going to my sister's new house if they ever find one. She loves that table. I'd like to find something less fancy, something that better fits the walls space, and not too leggy or traditional queen anne style. I've REALLY been drawn to texture and a rustic looking mix in general as of late.

I like the two hunt prints and want to stack them but I refuse to put anymore holes in my wall until I have a better game plan.

I was planning on buying a leather ottoman sometime soon (going to attempt the leather here but at least I can recover it if it looks like crap in a few years). For those of you following past threads, I'm not buying a rug at this time unless something jumps out at me.

***Is there a way to make the room look cozier with only a few changes (replace wing chair, round end table, half table)?

While I do like everything in this room I'm not satisfied with the overall look. Can't put my finger on it. Are there other smaller ways I can achieve this? Sadly, I don't have a formal LR. This is it.

To give you an idea of a look I adore, I love many houses and looks on this forum but I believe I could move into Scoobyruby's house and not change a thing. Yet the style of my house and the furnishings don't look like hers. :(

Please ignore the tape. That's when I was looking into a rug.

{{gwi:1786083}}

{{gwi:1786076}}

{{gwi:1786081}}

{{gwi:1786078}}

{{gwi:1786077}}

Maybe something like this style to replace the wing chair (not leather)? Although it might be too big/bulky for the wing chair spot.

{{gwi:1811535}}

and perhaps something like ones of these in place of the half table?

{{gwi:1811536}}

not in this color.

{{gwi:1811538}}

I also should mention I have three cats so any type of natural rug won't work.

Comments (148)

• katrina_ellen
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Have you tried switching lamps? The light color one on the table by the sofa and the darker by the chair? That would bring some lighter color over there as well as contrast.

• bronwynsmom
    13 years ago

Measurements 101... :>)
    You can copy my list and add in the numbers.
    With somebody on the other end of the tape, this won't take you long at all.

For the basic box, measure along one entire wall from corner to corner, passing over the doors and windows.
    If you don't have a long enough tape, go as far as you can, make a little pencil mark, and go from there. (I know...Duh!)

1. Length (the loveseat wall to the EC wall.)
    2. Width (the window wall to the opposite wall).

Next, we place the doors and windows.

Window wall:
    Measure along the wall from the corners to the INSIDES of the window frame, and across the window INSIDE the frame.
    Facing the window:
    3. Left corner to window
    4. Inside of window frame
    5. Right wall from window to corner.

Same for the doors:
    Facing the loveseat:

6. Left corner to INSIDE of door frame
    7. Door opening
    8. Inside of door frame to the corner.

Facing the other door (opposite the window):

9. Left corner to INSIDE of door frame
    10. Door opening
    11. Inside of door frame to the corner.

Measure the width of your trim:
    If it's easier, you can do this by measuring across the doors and the window from the outside edges of the trim, subtracting the inside measurement you already have, and dividing by two.

12. door trim
    13. window trim

Then:
    14. Ceiling height.

Measure the furniture:

15, Breakfront overall: Width X Depth (the skinny end) X Height
    16. Breakfront center section: Width of section X Depth (just back to the side bit)
    17. Loveseat: Width X Depth X Back height
    18. Sofa: Width X Depth X Back height
    19. Wing chair: Width X Depth X Back height

Fill in the numbers, and post it back to me.
    If you still want to!

• katrina_ellen
    13 years ago

Another thought. How about trying the column in the opposite side you had it on - by the chair, and group it with the palm to kind of balance the room since all the bulky furniture is on the opposite side. The column is a light color with the fern, and the palm would add color and softness to that area as well.

• greenthumbfish
    13 years ago

OK, I've read most of this thread, but haven't read some of today's replies, but can you stand another opinion, LOL? My LR is similar to yours so I thought I'd opine.

If it were me (and basically, it was), I'd find a replacement for the Queen Anne wing (it's the legs and color that just don't coordinate with the rest). Then I'd add another similar chair and pair them on that wall. Below is a pic of one of my chairs I found on CL (this is the actual listing pic, so not my LR). I found another chair similar to it but with a taller back and chunkier claw legs and feet. I paid $350 for the pair - such a deal!

I like your tables, but they are leggy. I'd use the larger decorator table. Ballard has a perfect burlap cloth with jute fringe that will bring formality in the room down a notch, see link, I got mine on sale so wait for it ;-) I ended up making a jewel-toned no-sew topper for the table too (inspired by a picture Chijim posted a long time ago).

I agree with you on the gourd lamp. I'm looking for something along these lines (but much cheaper - this one is listed for $2800 - yikes!):

And yes, you need art, but get the furniture down first.

If you want I'll take some pics of my chairs and table and post them later...

Here is a link that might be useful: Burlap Table Cloth

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Katrina - I did have them switched before. I'll take a pic then. The formal white one is 33" to the top of the finial and the other bronze lamp with black tassels is 29" high. The French table is taller than the round so that's why I switched them. That sounds confusing.

Balancing the palm and column, hmm.. the column isn't in the room anymore but you're right about the color thing. The column was my "pulling" of that light color originally but not enough and of course my balance is still off. I�ll give that a whirl too. As far as plant stands in general, I have a short and taller iron plant stands I could maybe try somewhere.

Greenthumbfish - I'd love to see pics of your room if you wouldn't mind posting them. Love that chair. I really LOVE the burlap cloth too. I wonder about the kitties and the fringe. I think they'll be ok though. I don't know that cloth will fit on the large round table? The 90" was pretty skimpy if you look above. ?

I LOVE that lamp. Where's that one from that the price is so crazy?

Bronwynsmom - Are YOU ready to take on the challenge? : ) I just hope you continue to open my threads after this, ha.

1. Length (the loveseat wall to the EC wall.) 18"
    2. Width (the window wall to the opposite wall). 15"
    Next, we place the doors and windows.
    Window wall:
    Measure along the wall from the corners to the INSIDES of the window frame, and across the window INSIDE the frame.
    Facing the window:
    3. Left corner to window 5'2"
    4. Inside of window frame 95 1/2"
    5. Right wall from window to corner. 4' 10 1/2"
    Same for the doors:
    Facing the loveseat:
    6. Left corner to INSIDE of door frame 8' 6 1/2"
    7. Door opening 3' 4 1/2"
    8. Inside of door frame to the corner. 3' 1 1/2"
    Facing the other door (opposite the window):
    9. Left corner to INSIDE of door frame 5' 5 1/2"
    10. Door opening 3'5"
    11. Inside of door frame to the corner. 9'1"
    Measure the width of your trim:
    If it's easier, you can do this by measuring across the doors and the window from the outside edges of the trim, subtracting the inside measurement you already have, and dividing by two.
    12. door trim 2 1/2"
    13. window trim 2 1/2"
    Then:
    14. Ceiling height. 8'
    Measure the furniture: The entertainment stand is tricky to measure because of how it's made.
    15, Breakfront overall: Width X Depth (the skinny end) X Height 8' 3 1/2" x 17 1/4" x 7'1" (height -measured to the crown); the end sections by themselves are 2' 1"

16. Breakfront center section: Width of section X Depth (just back to the side bit) - This one was tricky. It' 4' 1 1/2" to the square edge trim piece at the middle or 3' 11 3/4" which is just the middle section from rounded edge to rounded edge. X 11"D to the side bit.

17. Loveseat: Width X Depth X Back height 75"W x 40"D x 39"
    18. Sofa: Width X Depth X Back height 102"W x 40" X 39"
    19. Wing chair: Width X Depth X Back height 31" x 3'3" at the top, the bottom was 2' 3 1/2" x 3' 4 1/2"

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Greenthumb - After looking closer at the burlap cloth I see it says it's for a 36" table. Mine's 30". It's also dryclean. :( There's seriously not a place around here for that. Is there a material out there that's more natural that I can thrown in the wash? Off to search.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

GRRR...I just lost everything I typed.

Looking at the chair in the corner again, I think Kmcg's right about it would help fill the space out better (even if I replaced the wing chair) once I have an ottoman. PRETEND the blue cat box is a foot stool. Don't think the large 30" round table will fit beside it.

Ottoman mock up is 40x30 and is this one. Don't know that this one is the answer with the tufts but so far the other ones I like without them have ugly legs (skinny rectangle). I may need to look around more.
    {{gwi:1786085}}
    The way the arrangement was at the beginning of the thread, the wing chair was an additional seat for viewing tv but that's not a need often.
    {{gwi:1811586}}
    {{gwi:1811587}}
    {{gwi:1811588}}
    {{gwi:1811589}}

What do you think?

• greenthumbfish
    13 years ago

The lamp is the genuine article from The Reagan Ranch, see link...

I have furkids too, but they're dachsies, they run around underneath it, but otherwise don't bother it too much, and I've not felt it needed dry cleaning since I got it (2 yrs ago?). It gets a break at Christmas when I change it out for a holiday cloth. My table is 30" dia. and 30" tall. The jute lies nicely (maybe .5" to 1" or so too long) on the carpet.

Seriously, there's no dry cleaner near you???

Here is a link that might be useful: Antique Lamp

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Green- Ha, I thought you mean my froo froo lamp at first.

Yeah, I'm being for real about the dry cleaner. I called around once before and the places that were still open were literally closing. I checked over an hour away. That was a few years ago so something may have opened since.

I have a few valances that are dryclean only and I figured when the time came I'd handwash them. I'm thinking I couldn't do that with the burlap.

Do you have your pics? Our big tables are the same size and I'd love to see your room.

• greenthumbfish
    13 years ago

Sorry Sheesh, I have a sink full of dishes and there's not enough light tonight anyway - tomorrow for sure.

Have you considered Dryel instead of dry cleaning?

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Shee, when I was talking about using doilies, I'm not saying to put one on each table. You can buy very inexpensive one's (and very pretty) online at Amazon and other stores. Heritage Lace makes some pretty one's for various decorating styles.

I use differnt types of table runners on my coffee table. Right now for Fall, I'm going to put a quilted runner on it.

Doilies come in all shapes and sizes, but using them sparingly like I do adds more texture to a room. And I also think it adds to that homey/cozy feel you're seeking. The one compliment I always get on my house, even before the new addition, is my house is so "homey." It's not "old lady" either. :) Plus they add extra color!

For the fall/winter season I put maroon/cream homespun (checked) shelf scarves on my hutch, with a matching runner on my DR table.

My SIL came over the other day and it was the first thing she noticed in the kitchen and had to have some herself. And our decorating styles are completely different.

I consider all the things I lay on tables etc., as "doilies". But they DO help a house become a home. I've been a doilie person since my early 20s!

• katrina_ellen
    13 years ago

Just wanted to say I LOVE your sofas! I think the ottoman will look great and be comfy.

• amykath
    13 years ago

I think the main thing about it not seeming so "cozy" is that you have so many light colored things in the room..... minus the two sofas (which I really like). I would add a deep colored large rug with some olive and deep red etc. I would also go for a large square ottoman like pictured above in another post. I would add art work in darker colors. You can always make your window a bigger feature by pulling the couch away from the wall a bit and also adding some roman shades to the window. I would also get a bigger darker chair. I think all of this would help immensely.

Here is my before and after of my living room. I had the same problem with the cozy feeling factor. This is obviously not at all like your large living room but maybe it could help?

{{gwi:1811590}}

{{gwi:1566224}}

• bronwynsmom
    13 years ago

Thank you for your excellent measurements!
    I am going to start a new thread for you when I've done the plan, because this one is getting unwieldy, and my rickety old laptop is complaining when it has to open all the photos.

I'll get to it as soon as I can...later today, or first thing tomorrow at the latest. It's a pretty simple one, so it shouldn't take long at all.

Yours faithfully,

Sister Mary-Aloisius Nosyparkerpants

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Green - Sounds good. I should've been cleaning instead of playing on the computer.

Looking again, I did find a few drycleaners. They're not close so the Dryel would be my choice. I've never used it but heard it works well.
    _____

Oakley - Doilies are somewhat nostaglic to me because I remember my one Grammy used them in her house when I was small. Those and the lace curtains, the ceramic painted fox planter, etc. Love it all because it reminds me of the place I have lots of fun memories. I'm not saying they're Grannyish because my Mom still uses different doilies but I don't care for hers and I have lots of fun memories from home so I'm not sure what the difference is. But honestly I don't think doilies work with my LR. Maybe I just haven't found the right ones.

_________

Aktillery - Ah yes, your lovely, lovely room. That's an amazing transformation. I love it.

I'm a little confused when you said "you have so many light colored things in the room.." I thought the only thing light was the wing chair and maybe the carpet.

I wish I knew for sure when we were going to replace the carpet because if I had med/dark wood floors with everything else that's in there, minus the wing chair if I replaced it for something darker... I'm afraid the whole room would then be dark. I was thinking a light colored rug, (like you) would help.

I learned how to photoshop rugs and did a few mock ups that I never posted. I was frustrated in the rug dept. It will come in handy in the future.

When you said,"a large square ottoman like pictured above in another post". You mean the 40x40 Bernhardt one from my other thread? I stepped away from the good leather then because of cat scratches mixed with the price. I've heard good things about the wear with the one above and it's more affordable for me so when it does get some character marks I won't cry. :)

Romans on the windows, are you thinking bamboo or fabric? I thought about using the curtain rod that's in the LR in my bedroom (need to get one for there anyhow) and possibly using two short rods on the sides and bringing them out a little more. The curtains hit the sofa and they're not the whole way to the edge. Again, getting into details that I shouldn't be worrying about right now.

Unless I can somehow bring the light color of the wing chair through the room better and I'm not sure that that works, I think I need to get a darker chair but I'm trying to figure out what color. I need to figure out where it's going first and then pay attention to the size.

Lots of stuff to figure out and it all effects the next decision.

Bronwynsmom - Cool. :) Yeah, I have this thread all over the place.

• Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

Before this thread reaches the limit, I think you should go to the link provided. It is Mary Carol Garrity's,(of Nell Hill's fame) facebook. There are a ton of pics, most recently of her fall open house just posted today. I think you will enjoy it! I have taken many a page from her notes! Talk about COZY! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Great pics!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kmcg - I don't have a fb account anymore. I can't see any of them. :(

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    13 years ago

Okay time for me to put in my 2 cents worth! My TJMaxx had a lot of interesting side tables, cabinets, etc this week. They ran 80 to 100 bucks. When I saw them I thought "Shee needs one of these next to the wingback chair". They were both wood toned and some painted. How about a black distressed side table? I do agree that the wingback is too stuffy for your age and decor. I also wondered how a dark metal lamp would look.

How about making an ottoman or buying a cheap coffee table off of Craigslist and painting it? This would fill the space and let you look for that perfect piece. While I agree a coffee table(or ottoman) is nice, they do tend to be junk collector's and headbangers for little kids. My Kohl's had a faux leather ottoman that was half the size you wanted. I wondered about getting 2 of them. That way you could always separate them, maybe pull one over to the wingback replacement? Just a few (more) thoughts!

• cooperbailey
    13 years ago

This has been a fun thread for me to read- learned a bit about measuring.
    Didnt remember that you had a calico- I had one that looked so much like yours- a female named Christopher.

Sister Mary-Aloisius Nosyparkerpants! you are so kind to help Shee and I can't wait for the new thread!

Shee- you do have a very very pretty room right now as it is.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Rnmom - I was just at Marshalls a few hours ago and they had a few cute tables but all leggy. I like the idea of a black distressed side table. I also like the idea of a dark metal lamp.
    Here's a shot of the lamps switched. I mentioned I would try this too.
    Notice the light colored throw on the sofa that you can barely see? I don't like it. Wing chair's gotta go.
    {{gwi:1811591}}
    Pretend the pillow are fixed and the lamp shade is straight. This lamp will be replaced for sure.
    {{gwi:1811592}}

I have entertained the idea of making an ottoman. I confident I can do it and think it would be a fun project. In my last thread about ottomans I linked to one where it was done and someone mentioned it looked like a coffee table with fabric so then I started rethinking. However, the more I look at some fabric ottomans, a lot of them could pass for a coffee table with fabric depending on the style. It would be a heck of a lot cheaper. I already have foam. Would just need dacron and fabric. Well, and the coffee table is pretty important. :) Saw one on CL a few weeks ago for $25. I could put the extra money I'm not spending on that towards a chair.

Cooper - Thanks!
    That's Gizzy (Gizmo). Once again I didn't pick that cat's name either! (DH). We brought her home as a stray kitten almost three years ago. She thinks she's queen.

Here is a link that might be useful: coffee table turned ottoman - blog

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lkplatow - I'm not mad but I'm not a very eloquent writer so please forgive me there. I wanted to take some time and respond. Again, I'm not mad or offended.

"I think your main problem is that there isn't really anything that says "you" in the room."
    Like what? Other than photos, what can a person put in a room to make it say "them". I've been reading about this over and over. I have a few accessories in the bookends that are important to me. I hang out on the GW, family and friends are very important to me, I like to play sports. Not a huge reader, etc. I'm not really sure how else to put myself into the room. I'm not going to hang my hockey sticks on the wall. This is probably something that just takes time.

Someone else here has made the comment before they never would've guessed I was in my 20s based off my decorating. I honestly take that as a compliment. I've seen how a lot of other people my age decorate and I don't like it in the least. Bright, "cheery" colors, trendy, fun, funky things, and any shade of blue that isn't navy, just aren't me. I don't feel as though my age has any importance here. You also can't just change what you like and don't like, you know? Lots of people in the direct area I live, all ages, decorate primitive country style. Nothing wrong with that if that's what they like but it doesn't scream fun either.

I totally agree that the wing chair, column, and fancy tables are stuffy. I've stated the wing chair will be replaced, the column is out of the room and I think that helps take some of the stuffy out, and I was already planning on giving the half table to my sister which I said at the beginning of the thread. The French end table stays because I still like it that much. The problem is I only have one room for this. If I had a formal LR.. look out! : ) Over time I've realized this room is too stuffy for our everyday living and that's why I'm here with this thread. I want it to be more comfortable and cozy.

As far as the English hunt prints, I'm very drawn to that type of thing. You're suppose to buy art/stuff you love. If you have the book or ever looked through Mary Caroll Garrity's book "Feather Your Nest". I adore how Lisa's house is decorated; the antlers mixed with toile and transfer ware and even the stuffed pheasant on the mantel. The bones of my house or the decor look nothing like that but that's another example of what most people in their 20s probably look at and gag. My bathroom has that Wilderness fabric (paisley/toile with pheasants) by P.Kauffman. I also have an Audubon duck print paired with a hunting dog print. My DH is a hunter so even though he'd be fine with me decorating however I want (almost anything.) I find it nice that he likes it and appreciates it.

The top of the e.stand, I've thought about putting stuff there before but I received feedback here that it would "clutter it up" especially since my ceilings are only 8'. With the crown, the items sit down pretty low so it is challenging to find things that work even when you use props to raise them up.

"And I think that is where you have gone wrong so far -- you seem to be unsure of your taste and so you're buying things you THINK you should have."
    No, I've bought things I was attracted to. It's not all working together for me even though I still like the items individually. When I first found GW I only had the loveseat and sofa. I'd post some different threads on here about what to buy and didn�t get a lot of responses. I then discovered CL and the local thrift store. One by one the items started coming in. (I've edited a lot out of this room.) Most people make some big decorating booboos when they first start out. Mine (1st expensive mistake) was the green silk curtains that I bought without giving any thought to the material/texture/weight, etc.

I DO spend gobs of time at thrift stores and antique places and much prefer to shop there. I have a bunch of things that are unique but they don't work together, lol! My taste is also changing slightly as I'm told it will continue to do.

Good things is, I don't "look" grannyish. You're right it all takes time. I need to work on patience. Someday my age will catch up with my decorating! ;)

Greenthumb - Very nice! And that 30" table doesn't look huge in there like I felt it did when I looked at mine last night! Thank you for posting those!

• lkplatow
    13 years ago

I've been thinking about this thread for a few days now, and figured what the heck, I'd add my 2 cents. I hope I don't offend you with my comments but I want to give you my honest opinion.

I think your main problem is that there isn't really anything that says "you" in the room. You are a young woman (in your 20s right?)? I would NEVER guess that from looking at the pictures of your house.

You've got a wing chair that is nice, but a very classic "grandma" style. Your hunt pictures and some of the other pictures on the wall are pretty generic (straight out of a men's club or hotel lobby). Your console table is very formal and stuffy for a young couple. Your sofas are nice and I think there's nothing wrong with your entertainment center, criticism here notwithstanding. I like the idea of an ottoman, but I might rethink that specific one just because the carved fluted legs still read kind of "stuffy grandma" to me. I'd also stay away from any kind of skirted table - again, it screams "grandma's house" to me not "young hip couple furnishing their first house" (no offense to anyone who has one!).

I think you need to put some of your own personality in the room -- make it funky, young and hip, like I imagine you being. If you buy things you love, your personality will come through and the room will start to feel cozy and lived in, instead of like a generic ad out of a furniture catalog, which is what your room reminds me of right now. You don't have to spend a ton of money nor do you have to buy a bunch of fine art pictures. And I definitely wouldn't go to tj maxx and just buy a bunch of off the shelf accessories to complete the room -- while there is definitely a place for tj maxx accessories, a whole room full of them tends to look like, well, like you went to tj maxx and bought a whole room full of stuff to fill space.

If I were you, I'd spend a day (or two) at a flea market, buying unique things that draw your eye. Think outside the box as far as what you can hang on the wall - old signs, gears, movie reels, small rugs -- lots of stuff that isn't "art" can still function as wall decor. The top of your entertainment center could benefit from some accessories -- short baskets or old suitcases would look awesome up there. Find some "funky" unique stuff to replace your conventional "column with a plant on it" type decor. You're young! You're hip! Make your room speak to that fact and you will find that it suddenly feels much more warm and cozy.

Now I am attracted to flea market type stuff - for me, the older and weirder the better - but I know that not everyone likes that sort of thing. But even if you're not into old and weird, you can still find unique funky pieces that express YOUR personality (not the personality of the buyer at TJ Maxx, not your grandma's, not what you THINK you should decorate with). And I think that is where you have gone wrong so far -- you seem to be unsure of your taste and so you're buying things you THINK you should have. And you have a perfectly fine room -- but it's a room that doesn't express your life and personality and therefore doesn't feel warm and cozy.

You won't be able to do this in one day, or even one week or one year. Decorating (and discovering your taste) is a journey -- one that I'm still working on -- and at the ripe old age of 40, I now look back at some of the decorating purchases I made at 28 and wonder what the heck I was thinking (I'm looking at YOU, overstuffed navy blue sofa, LOL!). But I think that you will find that if you trust yourself and buy the stuff that truly draws your eye and expresses your personality, you will find that your house takes on that cozy "shee lives here" feeling that is currently missing.

Good luck!

• greenthumbfish
    13 years ago

Here you go Shee, sorry about the crappy iphone pics, all my other camera's batteries are charging, but hopefully you can get the idea.

Also, that tablecloth isn't on straight... note to self: need to fix that.

• spring-meadow
    13 years ago

Shee, I don't think your style is granny-ish at all. Nothing wrong with liking old or vintage things. That's actually a popular style. It's just not arriving at the overall feel you're after yet.

One thought on the etc. You could make it look more casual/homey by removing the glass doors, if that's doable. Open shelves for some books, photos, whatever appeals to you would be less formal and more cozy. If you're interested, look to see what the frame edges are like and how the doors are attached. You also might have to stain where the hinges are attached.

I really think the wood floor down the road with an area rug will feel much cozier to you. It'll look great with your etc, sofas, and the big comfy chair you're thinking of. It's hard to get that feel with wall to wall carpet.

• natal
    13 years ago

Shee, I think I'm the one who said I never would have guessed you were only in your 20s. It wasn't meant as a negative statement, just an observation. Have to admit when I learned your wore 10 earrings it made me realize there's probably a big disconnect between your home decorating and personal styling. Based on some of your recent statements I think you're right ... your taste is changing ... or rather maybe it's finally becoming 'you' ... that's not something that happens overnight although sometimes I think you'd like it to. ;)

• spring-meadow
    13 years ago

I can picture a short box-pleated slipcover (not meaning white) on that wing chair, with the more casual open bookshelves and wood floor (I know, down the road). Something neatly tailored like this (shown on a different style chair):

http://www.carringtoncourtdirect.com/news.cfm

Another good example of the skirt but done in a more girly/bedroom way than for your lr:

http://theinspiredroom.net/2009/05/18/slipcovers-an-eye-for-detail/

This one in the link box is more casually sewn but is shown on a wing styled chair.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Spring - Never thought of that. I'll have to see how they're attached. That could be an easy but good change when I'm ready for it.

Natal - Yeah, it was you. I wasn't mad but I was really unsure how to take it at the time. I've noticed it seems to shock people when they find out I mostly listen to rock/punk music and the occasional classical. I also had a tongue ring for a few years.

"That's not something that happens overnight although sometimes I think you'd like it to."
    I wish it would either change or be done and stay stable! I purposely don't subscribe or buy decorating magazines for that reason, ha.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I like both of those! Maybe once I get some other things in place I'll end up removing the doors. That would probably help with the formal feel. It's hard to see the stuff on the sides. I can't really picture the stand without the doors though. Hmm...

• susanwrites
    13 years ago

Hey shee, how are you holding up through all this? You are getting a ton of great feedback from so many talented folks but I also know it can be a lot to take in, even when you want to do the work on the room.

I just looked through the pictures again and then your comment about how to bring "you" to the room without hanging your hockey sticks on the wall. When you said your DH was a hunter and you were drawn to the hunt print (me too) I wondered if you could work that angle into thing? More of an LL Bean at home sort of thing? Some old decoys or wooden birds, that sort of thing? I also kept looking at the pictures you had on the wall and I know you said you were having a hard time finding art that spoke to you but I wonder, when you do, if hanging more than one piece near each other would help?

Again, SO not an expert...just thinking of what I've seen in rooms that draw me. Like your wall where the hunt print is, what if you had several hunt prints and it was a grouping on the wall? More gallery like? Less formal sitting area...maybe? (the experts can speak up.)

And I know you talked about plants but what about a pitcher of fresh flowers?

Like I said, I'm just sharing thoughts on another looksee at your pics. And I'm feeling your pain. So been there. So stuck there, in my own way.

• spring-meadow
    13 years ago

I think that would make a big difference, actually, if it's possible. If the doors were an option to begin with, it should look fine.

Seem to have missed the link box on my post above:

Here is a link that might be useful: tailored box pleats

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Susan - I'm good! There's so many good ideas and feedback here. I do eventually get overwhelmed because it's a lot. I have to sit quite a few days or weeks and digest.

Actually.... I have quite a few hand painted wooden ducks that were my Grammy's (my other Grammy, not the one I mentioned already above) in a box in the attic.

I for sure want to get some groupings of art together. I know it looks very scattered right now but I just stopped moving stuff around until I have a better game plan and more art. I was putting too many holes in the walls!

I have to watch flowers also because of the cats. They're normally pretty good with things but I don't want them to get sick.

Spring - I just went in and pulled the doors back. It can easily be done. The only thing is where the door shuts, there's a little roller piece of hardware the door pushes into/over. Hope that makes sense. It's about the size of a nickle but it's white. I could probably remove it. If I do end up taking the doors off I'll do it when DH isn't home. We can make bets for fun to see how long it takes him to notice, ha.

Well I have to get some much needed things done here but I'll be back tomorrow. I'm excited to see what Bronwynsmom comes up with.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    13 years ago

Hi Shee - I'm late to the party, but just wanted to say that I don't think your home looks grannyish. It looks very nice, and I honestly think you're on the right track with the ideas so far.

Here are some of my thoughts:
    Additional texture, warm lighting, and wall art will help warm up your space a lot.

For the texture, I would consider a nice basket (as I know was mentioned earlier) for magazines and books, etc. I found a really nice inexpensive one that is just the right size at Wal-Mart, of all places. It's a Better Homes & Gardens woven basket in a medium brown, and it's perfect for sitting beside a chair on the floor.

I do think an area rug would look great too. I like the idea of an ottoman. We have a square leather ottoman near our fireplace, and we use it ALL the time. Adults and kids can sit on it to be close to the fireplace, and it's nice for placing a newspaper, book, or magazine. You could set a tray on it when not in use, with some decorative items.

Some less formal lamps or sconces would warm the room well. Textured shades of some kind would look great. I'm not sure if there is room or not, but a narrow, not too formal sofa table might be nice.

For the walls, either a gallery wall grouping of pictures you love (maybe some sepia prints of photos you've taken) or a tapestry of some sort, or even some type of woven wall art would look great. I'd opt for warm colors and darker metal finishes, etc.

I do think you'll be happier with a more casual comfy chair.

The pillow fabric for the pillows on your sofa seems quite formal. Maybe you could add more pillows in a more casual fabric.

Also, some fresh flowers in a vase always make a room look more inviting to me. If your cats might attack a vase, consider some clear glass vases that can be placed in holders on the wall, out of reach from your adorable kitties.

Just some thoughts. Hope it's helpful.

• lkplatow
    13 years ago

I'm glad you weren't offended -- it was late and I was fried so I probably didn't phrase things as well as I could have.

Also, I never meant to say your home was "grannyish" -- I said you had some granny-ish things (like the wing chair and the formal lamp) and some stuffy hotel-lobbyish things like the column. Your room is fine and until you posted this thread, I never thought there was anything wrong with it, but when you asked why it doesn't feel warm and cozy, I think the problem is that it doesn't reflect you yet.

And as far as how you can bring "you" into the room, I think all you need is something a little "unexpected". So, like Susanwrites already suggested, if the hunt prints and hunting theme is what you like and you are drawn to that Ralph Lauren look, then go with it -- put the carved ducks or stuffed pheasant on the mantle (or table, or entertainment center!), get out that wool plaid throw, hang some antlers (there are some very cool fake ones out now if you don't like the real thing) on the wall etc. And I do think more art would help -- when you just hang two hunt prints, it looks like maybe you ordered them out of a catalog just to fill some wall space. When you hang a whole wall full of them (like Scoobyruby did), it says "this is who I am and what I like." And yes, I know it takes time -- I have an embarrasing number of blank walls at my house because I haven't found just the right thing yet. So again, I think it comes back to patience -- both in waiting for the things you want to find you and in waiting to figure out what it is that you want in the first place. :-)

• cooperbailey
    13 years ago

Shee- you like warm colors and furniture with soft lines and soft welcoming fabrics and pillows. You like to blend vintage traditonal furniture with newer styles and colors. You like to create your own rooms rather than make catalog purchases in bulk. Your room welcomes stretching out on the carpet and watching tv.
    You like warm dark woods, slightly distressed.
    Your family is very important to you, both in using and cherishing the things from your family and creating a warm loving home for DH, herd of cats, and future babies.
    This is reflected all through your home. I think "YOU" do show through. Above all, I hope you are having a blast decorating your home!

• katrina_ellen
    13 years ago

Seems like you are having a hard time deciding whether you want more casual or more formal. With your sofa and couch I think you could go either way. I think before I bought anything else I would decide which direction I want to go. Your hunt pictures are very traditional, but it also seems like a library look which I think of as more casual. When I look at your sofa I think of Pier 1 stores - the colors are so rich. To me the richness of your colors is very cozy. I think the carpet throws it off though. Yet another suggestion!!! I know you are waiting for wood floors which would totally look great.

• nanny2a
    13 years ago

Shee, just a tip about not hanging any more artwork or anything on the walls because it makes too many holes.... Instead of nails, go out and get some of those Command velcro-type hangers. They work great, and can hold nearly every weight of frame, artwork, etc. I'm always changing my photos and artwork around, and was thrilled when I discovered these, because you can remove them easily and don't have to put any more holes in the wall.

About the room, I think a slipcover for the wing chair, and a 30 round table with a nice textured tablecloth next to it, along with a different, shorter lamp, would do wonders for "cozying" up your space. With the right fabrics, I don't think it would look at all "grannyish"! I made a table cover for my daughter's guest bedroom that she loves, and she's almost as young as you are.

Here is a link that might be useful: picture hanging strips

• bronwynsmom
    13 years ago

Hey, Shee...

Lost control of my day yet again. Tomorrow morning for sure. I will save my comments on decorating style for you until I post the plan in a new thread. But I have some ideas about how you can bring your affection for traditional style into your own generation with warmth and casual elegance, which is I think what you are wanting.
    The reason we serious designers can stay in business (although I'm not any more) is people exactly like you, who have a clear set of tastes and responses but not the specialized knowledge to make it happen. You were always my absolute favorite kind of client!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jan - I'll check Wal Mart for a basket. Pottery Barn does have a darker one like Nanny2a linked above so I'll probably get that one if I can't find anything in the stores. I wish the PB basket were a little bigger or wider maybe.

It's tough finding a larger size ottoman. I'd be ok using one without tufts but it has to look a certain way. All the ones I'm finding are way too small. That one above is 40x30 but I'd like to find a 40x40 square.

The silk ones I think is what's throwing the pillows off to look more formal. The other dark green fringe (they look brown) are chenille.

Lkplatow - I was so tired last night that I added a lot of extra babble in my response, lol. Don't get me wrong, I don't want the house to look like a hunting lodge but I'm finding myself drawn more masculine fabrics mixed with pretty ones and natural things thrown in the mix. And I need texture all of a sudden. Ha, apparently the scratching post in the room isn't enough. ;)

Cooper - Aww, thanks for the eval! :) I'm trying!

Katrina - I missed your earlier comment about my sofas. Thank you!
    I'm sooo glad I didn't buy a super froo froo sofa and loveseat!

Nanny - I bought my first pack of those the other week and was VERY hesitant to try them. I hung that light weight wine box top on my kitchen walls and so far so good. Have you removed any of the stickers yet? I used an off brand of command hooks to hang something once and tore a chunk of drywall off when I removed it a few days later! I will continue to buy more of the pic. hanging strips.

Bronwynsmom - No problem. Today's going to be a busy one here too so that works out good. I'm so excited. It's like waiting for a present.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Taking a break.

Just for fun I wanted to post a few photos from the book I was talking about earlier. I'm sure many of you have it. Nell Hill's "Feather Your Nest".

I know my house lacks the architectural character but I completely drool over these photos. Some of the accessories are a little much, like the pears on the silver stand in the LR and what's that china beside it all about?, but I still love how the pictures look.

This baffles me... I'm not wild about yellow paint and don't know that I could deal with it in my house (gold please) yet it took me a awhile to realize this room is pretty darn bright.
    {{gwi:1811595}}
    {{gwi:1811596}}
    Look at those puurdy floors.
    {{gwi:1624466}}
    {{gwi:1811597}}
    {{gwi:1811598}}
    I think this room belongs to Cynthia in the book, not Lisa.
    {{gwi:1811599}}
    IRL I think the wallpaper would be too much for me. If I only had a powder room.
    {{gwi:1811600}}
    {{gwi:1811601}}
    {{gwi:1811602}}
    {{gwi:1811603}}

• dana1079
    13 years ago

Sheesharee,

I'm normally just a lurker here but I so enjoy your posts!

I think i'm in the same boat as you! I just turned 30 and live in a southern colonial. I do like modern lines of some things, but I too am drawn to older, more traditional things, but don't know how to accomplish the "cozy" feeling.

The only rooms I'm currently happy with in my home are the dining room and kitchen, the LR is my sore spot too. It feels so bare to me, and the things I have in there feel a little "stuffy". I've tried adding a little more modern stuff, but then it just feels thrown together.

I love the inspiration pictures you posted and I'm excited to hear Bronwynsmom's reply to you...since i'm struggling with this part of decorating as well.

I buy things or collect things that I fall in love with but have no idea what to do with them, or they feel out of place.

Everyone else my age seems to like bright colors, ikea, etc and I'm drawn to grandma's china patterns, toile, paisley,etc.

I'm engaged, and when some of my single friends come over I can tell they don't feel "comfortable" in my home. Although they say it's beautiful, I just don't feel it's cozy.

I just wanted to let ya know that you're not the only one struggling with this. Off the subject but do you live in the south?

The only reason I ask is because some of the homes I go into feel ornate but cozy at the same time. That's what I want!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey Dana. I just read your whole post saying and said out loud, yep, yep, yep, yep to the whole thing while nodding.

"some of my single friends come over I can tell they don't feel "comfortable" in my home. Although they say it's beautiful, I just don't feel it's cozy"
    Big YES. You can just tell.

We had friends over for dinner last night and they both took their flip flops off. I kept insisting it was ok and they could leave them on but they didn't. I was walking around in shoes.

I remember one time we ordered take out from a local place and we were going to get together with my Granparents for dinner. When I asked Grammy which house she's rather eat at she said,"Let's eat here. I feel more comfortable at home." She didn't say it mean and I wasn't offended but I understood what she meant and I don't want it to be like that. I think that's part of what made me start looking at all this again.

I'm east but would like to do some traveling south.

• kellyeng
    13 years ago

I think you have great bones. Don't get so worked up about getting rid of stuff like the wing back chair. What your room needs to cozy it up is texture, layering and proportion.

That room screams for some bold blacks, more stuff on the walls and tables. Get some snapshots of family framed and on the walls and tables. Baskets are a great idea to add texture. Pillows with different patterns - no matching. Old hardback books are great. Don't worry if you're not a reader. I have a ton of books that have never been read. I do like to get books with subjects I find interesting then who knows, maybe I'll read them some day!

Layering ads depth to a room and I think is the hardest part to decorating. Formal rooms tend to be at right angles, so add a touch of whimsy by getting your ottoman (which I love) and placing it at an angle to your couches. Kinda like you just pushed it out of the way and there it stayed. Lighting is a huge part of layering so don't forget to turn on your lamps. Also, knick-knacks are so important to adding personality and it's not just what you use but how you place them. Accessories should never be symmetrical. Symmetry says formal.

You need big stuff in that room. Over-sized says comfy and I think you have that with your EC and couches. A great example of what I mean is that you put your laundry basket in the room and then said you thought it was too big. Actually, it's too small. I could see a huge basket in that same spot stuffed with pillows and and a couple of throws.

Here are some pics I think you might like:
    {{gwi:1811604}}

{{gwi:1811605}}

{{gwi:1811606}}

{{gwi:1811607}}

{{gwi:1811608}}

{{gwi:1811609}}

• alex9179
    13 years ago

So by description, you are granny-punk? I think we have a new trend!!

The pictures kellyeng posted are scrumptious and look similar to the ones you picked out from the book. LOTS of stuff, which I don't think you really like to live around (because you mentioned not wanting it to be too cluttered) which is why you aren't where you'd like to be. What you like to look at and what you like to live with aren't exactly the same :) Join the crowd!

I think what you have started with is just fine. I like your armchair, your sofas, your ET center. There is a lot of space around the room for your eye to rest. Now you start filling resting spaces as pieces come to you...sized appropriately, as in large. If you find a huge basket, it would look great on the side of the ET center. Nothing diminutive could hold it's own up against that great piece.

Also, if you had rooms like the above mentioned, you'd have a host of people telling you to declutter! I think that's why I don't ask advice very often. I do what I like, post it if I'm happy with it, and tell the "you should-ers" that it always evolves but I'm ok with the way it is for now...thanks for the ideas.

If only you lived in Texas, I think we'd have some fun...even though I'm like a decade older than you apparently. I can't believe I'm 40.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kelly - "That room screams for some bold blacks, more stuff on the walls and tables"
    Do you just mean different tables? I love black.

The paisley on the furniture makes me afraid to put any other pattern with it. I thought the rule was if it's large or smaller and has the same color it can work but nothing seems to look right with it.

A poster here that I haven't seen or heard from (hope she's ok) for a long time sent me photos of her neighbor's house. I would love to post a photo of that family room but I promised I wouldn't. They have a huge basket with blankets beside the couch and it looks really good. I love the whole room.

All those pictures you posted look cozy to me except the last one. I would have to edit some of the stuff out of them to live there though. Hmm.. The first picture I posted from the book I don't think looks like it has tons of stuff.

I wanted to add, I know I said I liked your lamp in the photo I posted but I really like your whole room. Very cozy looking.

Alex - LOL Granny-punk. I'm not granny but I'm not punk either. I look and dress what is considered norm. Just so nobody's wondering. ;) That is hilarious though.

While I like the pictures Kelly posted they are too full of too much for me. Interesting observation about what we like and what works for us. There has to be a happy medium.

Are you who I'm thinking of? Didn't you post a photo of yourself on the conversation side a year or so ago with your DH? If so, I would've never guessed you were 40. I figured we were close to the same age.

I bet we'd have a blast!

Bronwynsmom............ where are you? :( Did you abort mission? This thread's soon going to kill off.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So I was at the flea (or flee? I've seen it spelled both ways) market tonight and saw a large basket. Liked it but the price was $38. I've become cheap in there and walked away. Mentioned it to my mother in law who works there at times on the weekends and next thing I know she bought it for me. I didn't like it THAT much and don't think it works but wasn't about to tell her that after she so happily ran over to tell me. I'm sure I can find a use somewhere but I don't know that the place is going to be my LR.

I just keep seeing "laundry basket" now. I liked that it was red but it clashes and I need something brown.
    {{gwi:1811610}}
    {{gwi:1811611}}

I think it works in the laundry room but I wouldn't use it without a liner since the paint stained the rag when I wiped it out.
    {{gwi:1811612}}

My actual laundry basket I think looks better, lol.
    {{gwi:1635639}}
    If I get a basket for in here with blankets....I still want a throw or two on the furniture. Is that blanket overkill?

I also like the style and color of this chair. I know I'm to be looking for something darker so this doesn't fit the bill there.
    {{gwi:1811613}}
    Also saw this coffee table and my mind was thinking of painting the legs black and covering the rest with fabric. Don't think it would work anyhow right because I'd have to pack out the sides and that would cover the top of the metal legs. I just liked that it was 38"x38".
    {{gwi:1811614}}

• greatgollymolly
    13 years ago

I like the QA angled in the corner with an ottoman. Other thing is, and I might be off on this, a round coffee table would help smooth out all the square lines in the room and soften it a bit. I prefer a round table with sofa's in that configuration.

I'd replace the lamps with some that are not so formal.

Maybe some artwork with some black frames would help bring down the formality factor also.

I don't remember seeing any mirrors on any walls. Add a mirror on a wall opposite some windows for some added dimension. Remember to keep the frame simple though.

And please above all, please give those poor neglected cats some attention will you? LOL, they are cute.

• loribee
    13 years ago

Shee...how are you holding up, lol? :)
    If you aren't sick of hearing from me, may I add one more thought? I think that both Aktillery & I are suggesting you add natural elements/ brown. Use your brown transferware, the hunting prints, a pillow or 2, a fuzzy throw and hopefully, an wicker chair and maybe a table?
    That will cozy the seating area right up, especially when you add the leather otto.

• alex9179
    13 years ago

Yum, I looked at those photos last night after you posted the link. The one in the den with the bergere chair in toile, side table, lamp, and art is a good inspiration photo for your chair area Shee. Obviously, you wouldn't copy it but that general arrangement is very cozy.

You remember my pic correctly, and thanks for the compliment!

I love the red basket, and it looks great in your laundry room. It still seems too small, looking at the pic you took. I'm envisioning a trunk sized basket...tall enough that if it had a lid you'd be able to set a drink on it while hanging out on the sofa. Or a table with the basket positioned somewhat underneath. On my screen the color of the basket is the color of the light highlights in your sofa so I like it, especially if you combined it with a darker, taller basket or side table.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Greatgolly - At one point I wanted a round skirted ottoman but once I got looking at them in person I didn't care for them. I'm not loving the round leather ottomans I see. Maybe if the right one came long.
    I have quite a few smaller mirros that don't have a home. Maybe I can use them somewhere.
    My cats thinks I'm crazy. They're always following me around to see what I'm going to do next. ;)

Lori - "add natural elements/ brown. Use your brown transferware, the hunting prints, a pillow or 2, a fuzzy throw and hopefully, an wicker chair and maybe a table"
    Of course I'm not sick of you. Brown natural elements like the baskets or other brown stuff in general? A wicker chair in place of the wing chair? I'm starting to get overwhelmed. It's just a lot and if you don't have a clear plan it can make your head spin.

Thanks for posting those photos Kmcg!

I really love that pic with the bergere chair in toile. The art stacked along the wall is awesome.

I like the photo below it too. Mainly love the couch and chair with all the pillows.

Alex - Hmm.. do they make trunk size baskets? I'm off to search more.

Hope to see you guys on the other thread.