Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (16)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

I love the double drawing rooms, the bedroom, and the dining room. The library, to me, is one of his over- the-top mix of patterns and is too much for me. I think he has a wonderful eye for colors and patterns,

One small gripe-why when staging for pictures do they always stick something in a ridiculous place-the blue chair in the bedroom? Pretty chair, pretty room, stupid placement. That was a rhetorical question, by the way. No answers required! :). Oh and also the description of her caftan-wrong picture? If not, why mention the fuchsia one then? Sheesh.

• Adella Bedella
    9 years ago

I loved a lot of it. It was over the top in most cases, but I did love the way he used pattern and color. I'd like a simplified version of those rooms.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

In general, I find Buatta's aesthetic to be quite elegant and rooms like the ones in the featured house have volumes that can handle that many layers. I'm not sure that style would be as successful in a 1960's ranch house with 8-foot ceilings. Of course, as talented as Buatta is, I'm sure he would find a way to make even the most pedestrian house beautiful.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OMG, Jim, I had read that post on CdT and thought they were terribly trashy people. I had not put 2 and 2 together. I enjoyed looking at the interior photos so much more before I knew those people were living there. ICK!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Oooh, Fun, maybe he would like to give a 1960 ranch a try as a challenge (read that as charity-ha) to prove that he can work with even the most average of homes. I would volunteer mine if he is so inclined. I am quite easy to get along with and would welcome the adventure! :)

Edited to add: Jim, just went back to open your link. Her son looks a tad dissipated to me. Still, I like Buatta's rooms.

This post was edited by cyn427 on Sun, Sep 14, 14 at 15:45

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

You need a house that can support his style ... that house was built for dramatic style by a rich planter or merchant.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

LOL, Cyn427. I guess you could ask. I wonder if you would receive any kind of response?

• nutsaboutplants
    9 years ago

I'd find it a little overwhelming.

• selcier
    9 years ago

Oh course, I love the library with all its patterns - it looks so cozy to me.

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

It's a style that I can appreciate, would enjoy visiting, could never live in. That staircase room would give me the spins.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

really pretty, and suits the house. I, too, am not a fan of "frumpy beige interior[s]. -- what I've always called "attack of the Beige People."

• LE
    9 years ago

I'm all for historic preservation, but I could honestly not be comfortable in one of those rooms for even five minutes.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I think they are very well done for what they are. There is a decorator here who *thinks* she decorates in this style, but with very inferior results. Buatta does it in a masterful way, whether it is one's personal taste or not.

• vedazu
    9 years ago

I love Buatta. And I think that he actually could do the most wonderful cottage things with complex patterns. Sigh--I know what all that fabric costs...even at a discount. Wish I had that kind of budget!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

It's a little OTT for me, but houses like that need to be full enough to look right...if the decor is too sparse, it looks like someone hasn't moved in yet, or the old money has disappeared and they've started selling stuff off....