Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nhb22

Daughter furnishing house

nhb22
15 years ago

My daughter and BF are furnishing his new house (future DD's home) and I have advised them to mostly buy good solid older furniture and antiques because they are made so well.

While in SC a couple of weeks ago, we went to an upscale consignment shop, and found a table w/removable leaf and 6 chairs for $600 (marked down more than half of original asking price). It is solid mahogany, but we are not sure of the correct age. I am guessing anywhere from the 40's to the 60's. Does anyone recognize this style?

The cushions have been re-done, but DD is going to cover them in something else. The table and chairs are in excellent condition, and I suspect they have been refinished as well.

Please excuse the photo. It was taken in my dark basement where the furniture is being stored until this weekend. The leaf is not shown in the table.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Another find and my favorite bargain. This large, original framed oil of red carnations, painted in 1977. DD paid only $28! My sister and BIL tried to buy it off DD for $150. I really want to keep, too. :)

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Also, my DD and I went to a junk shop a few weeks ago and found 3 upholstered arm chairs (one is painted cream and is an antique - the other two look like they belonged in a doctors office and they have stained frames,) an antique side table, and 2 new tall lamps w/fringed shades for $125 total. I don't have photos of the lot, as they are being stored in BF's garage. I will try to get a shot tomorrow and post it. We were thrilled with the purchases! My mother also gave my DD an antique side table and a "like new" T.V. for the breakfast/sitting area

of the house.

Comments (11)

• lovinlifesc
    15 years ago

Great finds! Did she get that in the upstate? I'd say those are 50's style.

If she's looking for a nice rug for the dining room, I have mine listed on CL. I'll post a link if there is an interest.

Susan

• nanny2a
    15 years ago

The style of your daughter's table, as you can see by the photos posted below, is very similar to our dining room table which my DH inherited from his deceased elderly aunt in 1980. She purchased this table well before 1940, but we aren't sure exactly when. It is a double pedestal solid mahogany table, with a much darker mahogany stained finish than your daughter's table. I believe this style is referred to as a Duncan Phyfe style. Our chairs, though, were made in the 1800's in England, and were bought at auction here in SC.

Your daughter made a great purchase, usually mahogany tables in that pristine a condition are priced much higher in this region, yet I've had much success finding some beautiful pieces at auction in the Charleston and Savannah areas. It looks like you had a great shopping trip.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Susan - Yes, DD purchased the furniture and painting in Anderson. She is holding off on rugs right now, until the furniture is moved in, and they decide what they want to cover all of the chairs in. However, just in case, show us the link. :)

nanny2a - very similar, but your edge is much prettier. Here table is in better shape than yours...I am sure it has been re-done. The finish isn't one of my favorites, but will suit the breakfast room. The table and chairs match perfectly (the color on my monitor is true to the color on the side-chair photo.) It is almost like a paint/stain finish, with a touch of gray.

Oh yeah...I found the receipt for the other "junk" furniture and we only paid $107...not $125. :)

• lovinlifesc
    15 years ago

The legs on my set are like nanny's--different brass feet which is why I said 50's on your daughter's. I just bought a leather top side table with the same (more simple) brass at the foot.

Nanny, I'm drooling over your carpet! It's gorgeous...care to share some info?

NHB, here's the link to my former living room rug...

Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: Craigslist rug

• nanny2a
    15 years ago

The rug, Susan, is one DH purchased outside Home Depot several years ago when they had some rug sellers come in for a tent sale. Considering the abuse it's had from puppies, kids and babies, it's held up extremely well - but is in horrible need of a complete cleaning! I have no idea as to the content, or the manufacture, as there are no tags on it at all. Wish I could help you more. I love the one you linked, it's really pretty, too!

• lovinlifesc
    15 years ago

I sure didn't see anything that pretty in the tent sale outside of Macy's last weekend! :-)

Thanks, I like my rug too, it was just too small. Sometimes in the midst of all the work/decorating around our home I wish I'd just turned it long ways and made do for a while. Too many projects, too little money! :-0

Susan

• nhb22
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Pretty rug, but not my DD's taste. She has grown up with enough oriental, that she is more Pottery Barn plain. :)

I see what you mean about the brass feet being different. Underneath the table, there is a rusty long hook type of catch that keeps the two table halves together when the leaf is not in use. It is about 12-14" long. That's why I was thinking the table is older than it may be.

• nanny2a
    15 years ago

NHB, our table has that same type of mechanism, too. Is there a ring on the outside of the frame at one end that you pull to open the table sections for insertion of the leaf? If so, it is just like ours. Unfortunately, the leaf to our table is missing and when family visits I have to use a piece of plywood that we cut to fit, and then cover it all with a tablecloth, sigh. I've been wanting a replacement table for years, especially now that there are so many of us when all the family comes home.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, it has the ring. I've never seen that before. Usually, you just pull the tables apart. I think that DD's table is missing another leaf because the supports have enough room for one more. If needed, I guess we can also have one made.

We picked up her small side table today, so that I can work on refinishing the top, but I forgot to take photos of all the furniture being stored at her BF's garage. He moves into the new house this weekend. I should post a photo and get ideas for some exterior improvements that he wants to make.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is the antique side table (from the junk shop) before, during and after a 'quick' fix with Restor-A-Finish. I sanded the top because it had some peeling. I still have another coat of restoring and poly.

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

and...

The side leather-top table that my mother gave my daughter. The leather has been damaged, so no way around fixing it. DD can put a lamp on the worse spot.

Before:
    {{!gwi}}
    After:
    {{!gwi}}

• nhb22
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just wanted to point out for anyone using Restor.A.Finish, the finish does not work on furniture that has any type of sealer (poly, etc..) It will not dry. I learned the hard way when I went to pick up the leather top table above. After I took the photo, I wiped the legs and base with the RAF. After about an hour, thought the table was nice and shiny. Instead, it was just wet.