Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomatofreak

Color of the Month

tomatofreak
9 years ago

Can you say WOW?! After seeing post after post of white, gray and other neutral colors, this just popped me in the face. I have red in my house, but these purplish reds seem like they'd take a lot of courage to use. What do you think?

Here is a link that might be useful: Sangria

Comments (44)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Pretty color for an accent...I can see it in a room of pale grays and whites ...

[Contemporary Bedroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2103) by Chicago Interior Designers & Decorators Kaufman Segal Design

• chispa
    9 years ago

Most of the photos in that link seem to be photoshoped and used solely to market the "color of the month"! Most of the rooms were also decorated in white and you could photoshop any color on the walls and the rooms would still look pretty good, as long as you like those wall colors.

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

In minute dosages only. Very minute. With little competition.

• deegw
    9 years ago

Purpley reds always remind me of bruises. I just can't get on board.

• cawaps
    9 years ago

Mmmmm...sangria.

Happy hour aside, I have a shirt this color. I like it. But where it was paired with a non-neutral color at all, it was gold (and that one blue chair toward the end, that I didn't really think played well). It definitely seems to be a color that wants to be the boss and won't tolerate competition.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    9 years ago

For most homeowners color trends are like the first slice of bread in the bag. Everybody touches it, but no one wants it.

• tomatofreak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL, funcolors! Great analogy.

Annie, I love that bedroom. Just perfect. Nice to see some color coordinates, too. I'd like to think I'm brave enough, but I'm just not sure.

• dakota01
    9 years ago

I used a very similar color on the small amount of trim in my garage. My walls are a pretty silver which doesn't look gray since I used a good wearing gloss paint.

I like the combo and since there isn't that much of it, it will be easy to change when I tire of it

• akl_vdb
    9 years ago

Reminds me of this fabric I found when looking for drapery, love it.

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

The first link described this Sangria as fun for fall. As Annie's pic invokes, I feel more spring than fall when I see it. Not a color for furniture in my world.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Well, it can be fall too, I suppose.

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

Perhaps in very modern decor. I'm not a purple hued person at all, so none of the options appeal to me. Although I do like the photos for the design seeds. My daughter would love all, she goes for purple.

Chispa, I think you are right about photo shopping. The chair looks like it is. And yes to marketing, would be interesting to know how much paint in this color and others are bought.

And you made me spend time on the site...I get waylaid easily.

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

Annie..OT..Remember when I tried to explain color percentages for using the design seeds in decor. Here is a link I just found from my curiosity of percent of colors sold. It explains the concept far better than I was stabbing at.

Here is a link that might be useful: Color percentages in Decor

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Thanks, technicolor...I like the comparison with a man's suit...very easy to see.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

The linked room is sort of in that range. If it were mine, I would retain the bookshelves, mill work, cornices, and rug, and change everything else.

Here is a link that might be useful: Violet Library

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

Oh oh oh, thank you for posting this! I see a possible/probable paint color for DH's bathroom :) (no, not the purplish pink!) Last picture, first color strip. It's just what he said he would like in there...brownish gold.

• tomatofreak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, my; those libraries tested all my phobias! I actually found it hard to breathe in those stacked-to-the-ceiling ones stuffed with set after set of multi-volume books. I liked the lighter ones best, especially the red/white combos and found I was partial to built-ins.

I agree, kitchendetective, about your changes; I absolutely hate those drapes. I did like the violet color.

technicolor, that 60-30-10 rule sounds like one I've violated more than once! Probably why I'm unhappy with some choices I've made.

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

Tomato...the rule has been used by artists for centuries. I got a bit carried away when we were on design seeds. You don't have to follow it as an exact color, use for color ranges. As Annie has shown the color in various hues and depths.

• cawaps
    9 years ago

Monicakm, if I'm following which brown-gold color you were referring to for your husband (the first color on the left in the pic right before technicolor's 7:58 post), try Behr Pumpkin Butter. I used it in an office, and loved it.

• vedazu
    9 years ago

I'm just crazy about red/purple/magenta/fuchsia--but it won't work everywhere--definitely not a cottage kind of color. Very elegant, very cool--rather all-or-nothing, however. White/grey/black seem to be the easiest way to work with these reds. Love the room that Annie has posted--but I'd be delighted with walls that color. Needs to be shiny, though---can't see these colors working in flat paint.

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

I used a very similar color, when we built our home in 1981, on an accent wall in the guest bedroom. When my parents would visit, my dad said he couldn't sleep because of the "pink" wall. Gee, most people sleep with their eyes CLOSED dad! :)

• amberm145_gw
    9 years ago

"Color of the Month"??!?!?!? I was having enough trouble keeping up with the colour of the YEAR. Who is changing their decor MONTHLY?

• vedazu
    9 years ago

And, oh, the gleam of that cashmere throw. I once bought an aging friend a hammered cashmere/silk shawl in the same color---I didn't want to give it to her, but to keep it myself! ( I gave it.....)

• tomatofreak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, vedazu, that's a true friend. It's happened to me a few times, that inner struggle to give or keep. I love cashmere and silk, so I don't know.....

• vedazu
    9 years ago

I love this violet sofa......Quadrille Macao II.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Me, too! And the chair next to it.

• tomatofreak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I kinda like it, too, but I'm on the fence about the mix of sofa and chairs.

• vedazu
    9 years ago

Oh, this is just a shot of a variety of textiles from Quadrille at one time--it isn't a finished room shot. At least, that's what I assume! If not, I'm with you, tomato freak!

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

I am so not on board with this color, except as perhaps the '10' percent portion (or less - I do like aklvdb's fabric).

Like the 60/30/10 concept, thanks for linking technicolor.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

I tracked down the photo and the room is attributed to Bilhuber, who I think is the greatest, and I would not be surprised if it is a real room, therefore. Personally, the red fabric in the forefront doesn't do it for me, but I love the stripe and the print on the sofa!

This post was edited by kitchendetective on Tue, Sep 9, 14 at 0:08

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

And book cover and plant.

• lakeaffect
    9 years ago

I painted a large, traditional looking hutch, our vintage 1965 range hood and some open shelving in our funky, unfitted, open-to-the-LR EIK BM's Cherry Burst, in Aura semi-gloss. The unfortunately named color (if you have a mind like mine, that is) is very similar to the Pantone color posted by tomatofreak. Walls are BM Spanish White, trim is high gloss black, cabinets are going to be painted this fall, color, or should I say, colors, TBA. The Cherry Burst color is way more than 10% of the room cuz, well, I am not a rule follower, I am one who feels decorating "rules" are made to be broken and I aim to break them all, with abandon, it's a pretty harmless hobby.

sandyponder

• tomatofreak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"I am not a rule follower, I am one who feels decorating "rules" are made to be broken and I aim to break them all, with abandon, it's a pretty harmless hobby."

LOL, sandyponder! I've got that same gene. My motto is: The first rule is, there are no rules. Life is so much more fun that way. I must admit though that my contrariness sometimes bites me in the butt. ;O

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Link to beekeeperswife Hot Pink bedroom below

Here is a link that might be useful: Beekeeperwife ho tpink bedroom

• tomatofreak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just love that! I hope she kept some green in the room; I thought the pillows were a good foil for the in-your-eye-pink. Beautiful room.

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

Some of the clearer versions of the color that Annie found are lovely to my eye, but the Pantone version makes me think of the early 90's hunter green/burgundy epidemic which I personally detest.

• monicakm_gw
    8 years ago

THIS is what I've been looking for. A few months ago someone copied my picture and ran it thru Design Seed to come up with a paint palette for my husband's bathroom. It doesn't appear you can use it without Instagram? I don't do Instagram or any other social media. I can't recall how they did it or where the resulting photo is. Can someone do this for me please? Thanks

• monicakm_gw
    8 years ago

Thank you 4boys2 but this is program/thread I found last Fall. Someone used it with Design Seed to pull a color palette. I didn't realize I couldn't do this myself till tonight when I found the thread. I think the difference between this program and paint manufacturers is they match your colors to their paint chips. Would just like to see what the Design Seed comes up with.

• 4boys2
    8 years ago

I don't think you can load a pic into Design seed ?

You can also check this post http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2621969/annie-can-you-explain-the-design-seeds-to-me

• 4boys2
    8 years ago

Annie is back east ..If you start a new thread calling her by name in the title I'm sure she"ll get back tomorrow. Good luck.

• patty_cakes42
    8 years ago

Not in my house! I had my fling w/red several years ago, and be it pupleish, pinkish, blueish, or brownish, color me DONE.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?