Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julieschrader

Do you ever say "Stop, I KNOW that house" while driving?

Jules
9 years ago

With the rise in popularity of decor blogs, Houzz and Pinterest, I seem to say this more and more frequently. I'll drive by a house during our travels and will tell my husband specific details about its interior and decor because I've seen an online tour. This occurred dozens of times during our trip last week though Cape Cod and Martha's Vineyard.

I guess we also "know" homes from realtor sites and shelter mags. It's just kind of funny to me to be driving past so many random, non-historical/notable houses while traveling and know intricate details about them ... and even about their owners sometimes. I love it, of course. I'm thankful for the chance to look inside others' homes from the comfort of my own.

Here's an example of a house I saw Saturday on Cape Cod. I asked my husband to pull over so I could snap a photo and told him that the kitchen had pretty, green cabinets. He just laughed when I showed him the photos on houzz.

Here is a link that might be useful: Same house on houzz.com

Comments (22)

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

Oh that is funny! I've only recognized one house - mostly for the garden, actually - but went looking for it more or less because I knew it was relatively close. You're probably tuned in more than most with your build, even more than those of us here who are somewhat house-y. I think that building process would make me pay much more attention to detail and not just be appreciative of the overall house. So many of the houses I see in home mags and online are in NC so once we move (if we EVER move!) I may actually have more of your experience.

• deegw
    9 years ago

Great house. It's like the house is a celebrity. We know all about it and the "house" doesn't even know we exist. If it were my house, I don't know how I would feel about it. I'd be concerned about providing detail about my layout and my stuff which would be helpful to thieves.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I'm not that observant.

• chijim
    9 years ago

Back in the 70's a new grand Chicago townhouse on the near-northside was featured in House Beautiful. I was enamored w/the fact that it had an open air atrium w/a breakfast bay overlooking the space.
    The accompanying story tells how the couple has issues w/financing the build because the area then was so sketchy.

Well in the 80's my sister and I were walking down a street we'd never been down before--or even in the area, and I stopped dead in my tracks and said to my sister, "That's the house!", she looked at me like I was crazy...there was that townhouse in all its glory and still just as beautiful as in the pics.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

uh, no. not in my area.

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

No exactly that....but when I was really into looking at house plans (I collected plans since I was a kid, had books and books of them), I would see houses and realize I could walk through the house blindfolded because I knew the plan.

• Jules
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's probably true, dlm, that I'm more tuned in since we just built. I'm still a blog junkie but view houzz less since our construction is done. The decorating is far from complete, so I really need to jump back in.

Yes, deee ... great way of putting it that the house is a celebrity!

chijim, that's how I feel when I happen upon these homes. I stop in my tracks. It's exciting finally meeting IRL. :)

• Oaktown
    9 years ago

Yes -- though perhaps the reverse. We spent a couple of years house hunting so looked in lots of neighborhoods, and since then I've seen a number of familiar places on Houzz. Recognized a GW member's house that was near a park we would visit occasionally.

Not sure how I would feel about that if I were a homeowner. At least one house "disappeared" from Houzz after a few months. But I think a number of the photos were posted before or after the houses were sold, so real estate listing photos probably were out there anyway.

• bpath
    9 years ago

Kind of both ways. I find it funny to see a picture and description of a house,realize I know the house, and think about all the things they're not mentioning in the article. I recall a Stanley Tigerman house, how it supposedly fit so completely with its environment, and wondered how the all the neighbors in their 1950s ranch hours felt about it. If course, they were artfully left out of the photo. Or the beautiful nature-preserve house that looks to be in the middle of a bucolic meadow, where I know that the house next door is only 12 feet away.

Then there was the house I saw in a magazine, and realized it was my Grandma's house!

DebraK, I thought I was the only kid who did that! I wish house plan sites would show the plan, not the elevation, first.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Yup. About a year ago DH and I were taking a drive about an hour from us. We took a backroad, and as we drove along i said ... Hey! That's AnnieDeighnaugh's house! I had seen her post it a few times, and I knew she was in the same state but we are new to the area so I didn't realize how close. The dead giveaway (besides her lovely home) was the outhouse they have outback, iirc a relic from her inlaws!

The only other house deja vu-s I have had have been mine. I just complained a few days ago about my GC using our listing photo for a full page ad (before he started work). I also came across a big blown up photo of the kitchen from our NJ house, which had lovely cherry would counters, on the wall of the company I went to see for pewter counters in this kitchen.

• deegw
    9 years ago

Oh my goodness. I was just looking through the long curb appeal thread and martinca posted a bunch of helpful pictures. The last one is a house about 3 minutes from my house. Stop that thread, I KNOW that house!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

No, but that is how mtnrd and I got to meet...she recognized my house.

But I was on another forum and found someone posted a picture of my house as a solution to a problem...it was a little odd...

• awm03
    9 years ago

Twice pictures of homes have been posted that I recognized from biking all around my area. And over in Remodeling, someone in my neighborhood was posting about her remodeling project. That was kind of odd. People were giving suggestions that I knew weren't feasible because of the floor plan & ceiling height.

I didn't respond to any of the posters. Wouldn't it be a little creepy if you posted here, asking for advice, and some stranger says, "Oh, I know that house! I know exactly where you live!"

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

oh gee, i hope i wasn't creepy : )

• awm03
    9 years ago

Oh, you would be a treat to meet, mtnrdredux!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Oh, yes, mtnrd, you are a most frightening person! Had us terrorized for months on end...I was so afraid you were after our outhouse!
    ;)

• Jules
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Interesting, awm, oaktown, dee and bp.

That's terrific, mtn and Annie. I think it'd be nice to meet other GWers in my area. I probably should've picked a different screen name since anyone can google mine and find out pretty much everything about me from my using that same name elsewhere, yet most people post on fb, Pinterest, blogs, etc using their real identities. I really don't mind.

If any of you drive by my place and recognize it from this site, feel free to knock! :)

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

bpathome, Each week our newspaper would have a house plan. I would cut it out and save it. As an adult I started buying home plan books. One of my favorite is one of old cape cod style houses. Some of the plans go back to the 1600's but do have modern plumbing.

I finally had to start getting rid of the books. I don't enjoy looking online at plans as much as looking in books.

I so agree! Show the plan first not the elevation.

• mjlb
    9 years ago

Absolutely! Was driving around Burlington, VT trying to get a feel for the area while starting our real estate search. I recognized this one immediately, as it's not what I normally think of for a lake house in Vermont!

[Contemporary Exterior[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-exterior-home-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_736~s_2103) by Boston Photographers Mary Prince

Here is a link that might be useful: [link to home[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-houzz-lake-views-lead-a-luxury-vermont-home-contemporary-exterior-boston-phvw-vp~1545295)

• vpierce
    9 years ago

Yes, this house in Seattle (pretty hard to miss it):

Here is a link that might be useful: [Seattle Lego House[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/exterior-victorian-exterior-seattle-phvw-vp~6250319)

• jaybird
    9 years ago

I was reading a random blog one day, and the lady started showing pictures of her new house. I almost fell off my chair when I realized that her "new house" was across the street from MY house. I had no idea that she even lived in the same country much less the same state and town!!
    It is a VERY small world!!
    Blessings,
    J

• kitschykitch
    9 years ago

Jaybird, that is funny