Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mustangs81

Cornice Cost

mustangs81
11 years ago

I LOVE this idea from a Houzz.com picture that Annie posted on the family room thread. I immediately contacted a little drapery shop near me to get a quote on 2 cornices; each is 20" W X 18"L. They quoted $350 for 2 cornices and this is using MY fabric (remnant from my upholstered chairs). I can only imagine what the drapery panels will cost.

Mediterranean Living Room design by Dallas Interior Designer Siddons Design Team, Decorating Den Interiors

QUESTION: I really like this and will probably get the cornices but I'm I too cheap in thinking that this is expensive? Keeping in mind that I have yet to get a quote on the panels.

Thank you for any input.

Comments (6)

• maddielee
    11 years ago

Hi Cathy!

I've made them using both styrofoam and wood.

Its really not hard, the most difficult part was figuring out how to hang them, got the answer on Youtube to use L brackets for the foam ones, a clet system for the heavier wood one.

YOU can do it, I'm sure. I'll be happy to help!

ML (that other Cathy)

• maddielee
    11 years ago

Of course, I had to google for a video to share how easy making a Cornice really is....I found this product. looks to be even easier and less expensive then covering and hanging a wooden one.

Has anyone here ever used this?

Here is a link that might be useful: Make your own Cornice

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I agree...I've made cornices out of styrofoam very successfully.

I glue the styrofoam pieces together using white glue and toothpicks. Wrap in batting and then pin the fabric to the styrofoam. I would hang the curtains solidly with metal curtain rods and such and then hang the cornice over top, making sure it is not structural, just decorative.

In fact, at the old house I would make styrofoam valances and wrap them in xmas wrapping paper and put a big ribbon and bow on them for the holidays. Cheap, easy and fun.

• mustangs81
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey Cathy!! I see a lunch in your future.

Thank you both of your responses and excellent resources. I also would be interested in hearing feedback from this group if anyone has used the Deco Wrap; the QVC reviews are positive.

And thanks again Annie for the inspiration picture.

• arcy_gw
    11 years ago

Ditto on an easy to it yourself project. Anything labor intensive costs, I get that but really these just would not be difficult.

• musicteacher
    11 years ago

I have made several "cornices" much larger than these, out of foam core board from an office supply store. I literally taped them into shape, covered with light weight batting and fabric, and hung them from push pins. I had forgotten that I had temporarily hung them on push pins until 8 years later I took them down.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths