Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

What is it about chintz?

mtnrdredux_gw
10 years ago

For the LR I am redoing, I want retro, but not colonial. I want cheery, and i want something NOT 2013. I am thinking the quintessential summer house fabric in the post-war to midcentury was probably chintz, no?

I have found a few chintzes, but I am inclined to use them very sparingly, since my personal style is to avoid both pattern and color. I reflexively go for camel sisal and linen slipcovers.

But I have noticed this about chintz. It seems to go hand in hand with excess. It seems that when people find a chintz, they cover all but the family dog in it. Am I being 2013 if I use chintz as an accent ... am i being a wuss?

Take a look at what you get when google chintz living rooms and you will see what I mean.

Comments (63)

• Oakley
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

With this being your third house, I say let the whimzy in before you pass on. lol.

Have you thought about a 1940's bedroom with small floral patterned wallpaper? Wallpaper was huge in the 40's. I'm a big fan of 40's decor. A bedroom would be a great place to get your whimzy on. :)

Here is a pic where the chintz would look good in your LR.

{{gwi:1810270}}

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Mtn I just wrote a long post telling you about Indienne fabric and I goofed up and lost the post. Anyway Indiennes fabric was widely used in France but imported from India. I am wondering if what you really had in mind when you envisioned Chintz was actually Indiennes? It is a block printed fabric and not to be confused with Mary Mulcahy's company Les Indiennes which is, IMO, a very watered down version of Indienne. Original Indienne fabrics are just gorgeous!

I can imagine a sea captain involved in the spice trade could have made heavy use of Indiennes fabric in your lovely sea house.

Brick House Fabrics has some lovely Greeff Indienne fabrics. I would link here but I am an imbecile when it comes to linking.

I had my eye on an antique Indienne fabric for my kitchen drapes and hesitated to long and missed out on it.

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

Boopadoo I LOVE vintage barkcloth too! Wish I could find a source for reasonably priced pillows.

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Fri, Sep 13, 13 at 16:07

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    10 years ago

Try Sarah Hardaker. She has a nice collection that doesn't overpower. Added bonus is they will print their designs on any type of fabric.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sarah Hardaker

• MarinaGal
    10 years ago

Totally agree with Allison's suggestions, was just thinking Galbraith and Paul, then read her post. Then looked at their website, and started to drool.

• teacats
    10 years ago

My fav chintz has always been Cowtan & Tout "Bowood" --- so classic and so summery fresh ....

Perhaps this fabric? Pretty, neutral tones with a touch of sea-glass blue .....

Here is a link that might be useful: Fabric Guru -- modern chintz

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tea- yes, I like Bowood too, but I really want to use something with blue, pref aqua.

MarinaGal, thanks, will look

Deedee, ooh she has some pretty things!

Hollykay, THANK YOU. J'adore les indiennes. I am almost certain i will buy something from them to use somewhere!

OAKLEYOK: With this being your third house, I say let the whimzy in before you pass on. lol.

I don't get it - what do you mean? And we won't keep the lakehouse once this one is done ... so we only plan to hold two. Or did you mean something different? And do you mean ... before I ... die? Or lose my nerve. Totally confused. : )

• Oakley
    10 years ago

Holly, I love Brick House Fabrics! They're really fast in shipping too. And the owner is so kind and helpful.

Mtn, sorry for the confusion. I don't recall you saying that you were going to sell the lake house. But you did say that both your homes were decorated in neutral with no pattern & color. So I was suggesting with your third home to use color and patterns, like the chintz you mentioned.

Yeah, before you "pass on." lol. Meant in jest so you can have fun with color and patterns ih the here and now. I actually think you could pull it off, especially if you're wanting a 40's look to your home because in the 40's, it was all about color.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Here is the Greeff Indiennes fabric I fell in love with.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gorgeous

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I love the 3rd pic that is done in coral...really pretty and just enough. For me the others are overwrought. Less is more when it comes to bold patterns and colors I think.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Joaniepoanie,

I agree, that is pretty. I was not looking for rooms I liked, just looking for ones that used chintz, and that's when i notes that the look seems to be "use a lot!". Even in that photo, when is the last time you saw someone use the same patterned fabric for a "sofa' and two chairs, and no other patterns. No one decorates that way anymore. People rarely commit to patterns. I am toying with just how much pattern I want to put into the room ...

LOL, Oakely, you did mean pass away!

• chispa
    10 years ago

I am having drapes for our guest house made in this Schumacher floral. Probably more color than you would be comfortable with? Never thought I would like a floral, but this fabric has both a classic and current vibe. I've paired it with solid but bright sofa and chairs. All on order and none delivered, so I'm hoping it all comes together. I've been moving away from more traditional and neutral colors and went all out in this room.

Here is a link that might be useful: Schumacher floral

• Oakley
    10 years ago

Holly, your fabric is similar to the quilt on my bed! They're sold out of the fabric I bought or I'd show it to you. The background is mustard with small flowers on it..in french country colors.

Mtn, using pattern is very popular now. Not with matching sofas and chairs though. A solid color sofa with patterend chairs is my favorite. It's tricky though.

One of the reasons I love french country decor is how floral & plaid fabrics work well together.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Oakley, I love that fabric! I'll bet your quilt is beautiful. I am crazy about Indiennes fabric.

I am redecorating and doing two patterned chairs and a solid sofa, and plan on adding at least one more chair after I get the main pieces in place. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will look lovely and not a huge, hot mess.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Chispas that fabric is gorgeous and I love the colors!

• chispa
    10 years ago

Holly, the website doesn't do it justice. I linked my inspiration photo. I went with a blue sofa and crazy orange chairs! The orange turned out to be really difficult to pair with any rug, which led to making a custom rug, an extremely slow process!

Here is a link that might be useful: [inspiration[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/2010-colorado-homes-and-lifestyles-home-of-the-year-traditional-living-room-denver-phvw-vp~247426)

• loribee
    10 years ago

If I did it, I would have white linen sofas, chintz drapes and ottoman, with some chintz and some solid pillows. And probably a sisal rug, or a camel colored needlepoint i have now....
    Sounds perfect to me....love chintz and/or any floral. To me, a good floral completes the room and makes it cozy.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I agree that many rooms have "chintz overload." But I've lived in England for a while and also remember the faded chintzes in rooms that were more casual and comfy. Below is a link to a short overview of chintz that has some rooms that are not all decked out. Also, for example:

I can't remember but I'm sure the link to "Chintz is Back" with some updated tweakings probably was mentioned before.

Here is a link that might be useful: chintz

This post was edited by nosoccermom on Mon, Sep 16, 13 at 10:17

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Chispa, I love the inspiration photo. I am anxious to see it finished!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for all of the great ideas, input and inspiration.

I had the chance to look at the fabric I like best "in situ" this weekend and I've totally decide on the palette. I am going to use a lot of the "chintz" in both the LR and DR. But I WILL be paring it with white linen slipcovers, certainly on the sofas. Let's just hope they don't discontinue it while I am trying to select furniture ...

Oddly I have found the same fabric sold by three different companies under three different names! Funny business.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

Oh I love this thread and all the eye candy. I too Love chintz - in the 80's I did a Grosse Pointe home ala Mario Buatta, way OTT.

If you can't find what you want in fabrics, check out Spoonflower, they'll print your design on one of about 8 fabric choices. Great resource. There are also many many designs there to choose from that others have submitted and made available.

Does this beach house give you a bit of the look you're going for, especially if you swapped out the ikat for floral (that's my very favorite ikat!).

Here is a link that might be useful:

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

Mtn, for some reason I didn't see your last post before I just posted.
    Do you have pics of the print you've chosen? Would love to see it.

• franksmom_2010
    10 years ago

Mtn, did you decide on the aqua/pink/orange fabric? I saw your swatch and it looks wonderful. I'm also a color and pattern phobe, so I'm interested in seeing how you finish this house.

I'm taking a similar approach to our barn. I want the decor to be appropriate, but not cliche. Some of that will be easy, but some of it will be a challenge.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi ML,
    I don't have my camera but I will post later.

Franksmom,
    I know what you mean, it's a tough balance. I've already laid down some rules --- no signs with sayings, no mermaids or light houses or anchors. Nothing made out of shells or renderings of shells in art or fabric. Actual specimen shells, because they are beautiful, yes.

A barn sounds like fun! But I do get the challenge. I was in a very high end home recently, new construction but built to look like an old barn. Professionally decorated and no expense spared. Couldn't quite put my finger on what was wrong with it, until I saw another post someone did about "Parkitecture"! That's a risk. At least though you are starting authentic. You must show pictures!

• bird_lover6
    10 years ago

I love chintz, but I fear that the truly feminine has gone out of decorating for good. The home is no longer "the woman's domain," and God forbid that a man should have to sit on a flowered sofa!

• tinam61
    10 years ago

I agree with Allison and Chispa's inspiration pic is a good example. When we redecorated our great room, I got rid of the jewel toned, patterned sofa and also a chair and ottoman. Replaced with a solid off white/beige sofa that is a textured fabric. New chair is in an off-white/taupe diamond pattern which reads neutral. There is a dark leather chair in the room, wood floors, wood chair with a small amount of patterned fabric, and a cushy fabric chair on one side of the fireplace. That chair is color/pattern. Wood pieces in the room also. Add in patterned/colored pillows, throw, rug, art, etc. and the room is the best of both. The neutral, calm look I was craving plus the color/pattern I love. The good thing is I can also change very easily if I want.

I'm not a fan of chintz and much of it is the shiny finish. Most of it is too flowery for me. I do like some barkcloth. I am partial to linen/cotton fabrics with some texture and no shine.

tina

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

LOL on that first photo mtnrdredux. The owner of that bedroom probably has a dress made out of the same fabric to wear when she sits in the chairs.

A little chintz goes a long way with me too. But I do like the photos Allison posted, especially the first one. I think you can mix chintz with solid fabrics. It does look cool and cottage-y.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

(Disclaimer - i find very little true chintz, ie the shiny stuff, other than Brunschwig and Fils. Take my use of chintz to mean "large patterned representational florals with light backgrounds").

Thanks, everyone for your input. A few things about my project.

1. I want something different than my typical MO, which is neutrals and textures.

2. This is a summer home and I want it to feel summery.

3. The LR will keep its dark panelling and beams ... I need to make choices that make it feel less dark

4. I categorically do not want to go Ikat or Suzani. I feel that their "cool kid" status has just peaked and I already have them here in CT. I love them, but have enough.

5. I want to use a faded aqua as the primary color (ie on the walls). One, as a nod to the fact we are on the ocean. Two, i have never used it. Three, every member of the family likes it. Four, I do know that it is trendy, but alas.

6. I would like to use chintz ironically, if you KWIM? That will be very hard to pull off. Like, let's say you chintzed your DR from head to toe, and then you used glass lucite dining chairs. It would say, "I know chintz is out but I am having fun with it, now you may go home to your ikat"

I don't want it to look old lady, but more of a retro nod. I think if you really want to say "chintz", you can't be tepid about it. As far as men, I don't think it is actually true that florals can diminish virility or hamper performance. My DH still plays league ice hockey twice a week, but he goes with me to get pedicures AND he thinks chintz would look great in our new house!

Here are some fabrics I have tried:

I like this but I feel as if I have seen this pattern many times before:
    {{gwi:1810273}}

Too impressionistic{{gwi:1810274}}

I like the graphic nature of this, but ...is there a word for duo-chromatic. I want more color. May use this in the kitchen.
    {{gwi:1810275}}

My daughter chose a chinoiserie pattern for her BR and it made me think of this. I like it but it not enough blue IMHO.
    One thing that keeps me coming back to it is the handles on the fan kind of pick up the color of the wood panelling in the LR. But I also think it may be odd ... like ,why fans? I don't even like sushi.
    {{gwi:1810276}}

I have liked this for along time. The background color is perfect for what i want, and it matches perfectly w FnB Teresa's Green. I like how open the pattern is, and the movement. I like the various colors I can pull from it. I also like that is has birds, since I am an Anthropologie groupie, and notwithstanding Portlandia's hilarious "put a bird on it" skit (linked). I have seen it sold under three names, the name I like best is "Water Garden in Duck Egg", so we will call it that!

{{gwi:1809561}}

Here are two shots in situ (the LR one is dark ...sigh ... see my post on canned lights!).

Dining Room;
    {{gwi:1810277}}

Living room:
    {{gwi:1810279}}

Palette over all; Off white linen slipcover on all LR furniture and DR chairs. Camel colored floral needlepoint area rugs. Water Garden fabric drapes (open so as not to cover any glass, but helping to lighten up the room by covering a lot of the wood panelling), Water Garden ottomans and throw pillows. A 12' long windowseat in the DR; but no drapes in the DR. Teresa's Green on the walls in the DR and the wallspace (ie the area above the panelling) in the LR.

{{gwi:1810281}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Totally guilty of liking this look! Tee hee

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

Well, I think it'll be great, with the bird on it(!), and I can't wait to see pics of the finished room.

I'm going through a Toile phase and not sure I really understand it. But about a month ago I bought a huge bolt of blue and white toile from Brick House fabrics. Not sure if it'll end up as a slipcover on a sofa or as drapery panels. In the house that we haven't even broken ground on yet.

• rosie
    10 years ago

LOL! I try hard not to put a bird on...everything. There are a fair number around though.

It seems to me that blue background on that wonderful fabric combined with blue walls would calm it all down very nicely.

For those who don't like the shine on chintz, the "shiny" chintzes are called "polished" and some designers/owners wash them to remove the shine and give them a more relaxed look.

I also suspect a few more men like pretty than is realized and that a lot more men like their wives creating pretty homes than is realized. Flowers don't have to be their own bachelor choice for that to be true.

As for these days being so different now, true, sure they are, but not only in the way meant. Back in the old days (how soon we forget) most property tended to belong to the master of the house, and he actually had a lot of say, often all of it if he chose, about what came into his house and how his money would be spent, if at all.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mlweaving,

Thank you! I love toile too. My daughters (10&11) like a Chinoiserie toile for their room. I have an old toile loveseat that was in my kitchen in the old house, now in my office.
    You sound like me, very impatient to get started!

Rosie,
    Fair points! I didn't know you could knock down the shine by washing; interesting! I can scarcely imagine throwing my Brunschwig and Fils in the Bosch!

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

I really like the last fabric...very nice :)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Lavender. I know it's not bunnies, but it does have "a bird on it"! (am i remembering right, didnt you find this real sweet bunny tile once?)

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago
  • allison0704
    10 years ago

Mtn, I was researching for an article and thought of you while glancing at The World of Interiors, by Simon Upton Photography. On his website > Portfolio > Recently Published there was a kitchen with yellow wallpaper that was charming. Also the magazine "The English Home" might be a good source with similar ideas.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

wait wait .... wallpaper?

You do know I am a colorphobe, yes? Never moved from that first panel of white in the FnB color card?

I am not sure i am up to wallpaper. Baby steps.

Ok I will take a look!

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    10 years ago

Oh, drat that colorphobia!

And here I was going to suggest one big sumptuous down filled sofa in white loaded with pretty pillows and the other sofa in a dreamy dark rose pink. No fun!

• Lyban zone 4
    10 years ago

Mtm,

Love your choices so far. Looking at the samples in your lighter dr and darker LR, I think I like it best in the LR with the dark panelling.
    I mention this only because it surprises me , I thought that I would have liked it more in dr.

Anyways, all to say I Am so looking forward to your decorating this lovely home.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

So I now know that I am not alone in bird land. I so wanted a fabric that had birds on it. The one I truly loved had a back ground that was way too light to be used in this house with 2 dogs, a kitty, and a messy DH.

I think the best I will be able to do is search for a bird fabric that would work as pillows.

Mtn, I am loving the direction you are going with this! I love, love, love that beautiful paint color and the WaterGarden fabric is gorgeous!

• allison0704
    10 years ago

wait wait .... wallpaper?

I thought you mentioned wallpaper in the kitchen on the unfitted kitchen thread. If not, my bad!

You're so nice to always comment back to everyone that comments on your threads - but you didn't say anything about my unfitted thread mention/suggestion of The Workshop of David T Smith. Didn't want you to miss.

This post was edited by allison0704 on Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 19:53

• Circus Peanut
    10 years ago

Mtn, I'm sure you've seen some of these, but given the samples you've shown, it strikes me that Thibaut would be your ideal design house for these fabrics? Feast your eyes on their many collections:

Here is a link that might be useful: Thibaut Design Fabric Collections

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Circus, Those are lovely. I am going to have a lot of fun going through them. I WAS trying to keep costs down and reduce the "time sink" by only choosing from among Calico Corners lines, but you have tempted me. I just wanted to avoid one of those marathon day long sessions going through fabric books. I thought that was fun the first 10 times I had to do it, but now ...

Allison,
    Hmm I might have mentioned wall paper for the backs of the glass cabinets... Anyway, I went to that site, and I am just drinking up those photos. Either I missed or have not yet gotten to the yellow kitchen; but so many wonderful images to steal from.

Also, let me go back and look at the unfitted kitchen recommendation. I think it may be more elaborate then what I am trying to pull off.

LOl, Dee

Thank you Holly-kay!

Lyban, Thanks, I do think it will work in both rooms. And since one leads into the other, Id like the continuity. There is a set of double pocket doors, but I doubt we would close them much.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

Thanks for the link Circuspeanut. I've been having fun looking at toiles and more on the Thibaut site. In the past I've pinned several Thibaut woven fabrics for upholstery in our home, but right now I've just been having fun.
    So, in the spirit of Fun, and Put a Bird on It, and of Excess with a capital E, I present this. Funnily, I adore this print, and may find a place for it, maybe in the soft green color, in my bedroom.

Here is a link that might be useful: inGreen

• allison0704
    10 years ago

That's the beauty of an unfitted kitchen - it can be as elaborate or simple as you'd like.

If/when we build another home, I will do another kitchen like mine, but one that is truly unfitted. I tease DH that I'm taking ours with us, but designing another - with even better pieces - would be fun. If I had more time during construction of this house, I would have found two antique hutches instead of having the two built.

Oops, it might be a DR rather than a kitchen. I saw the hutch and FP. I thought it was the eating area of an unfitted kitchen - the hazard of multi-tasking. It's in the WOI article "Wendy's House." The room is charming. Not suggesting the room itself, but the cozy feeling. Mismatched chairs, furniture pieces.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's a wonderful room. It would totally fit the house, too.

You will appreciate this. The PO of our beachhouse we are closing on replaced all the windows. When they did, they made three of the four kitchen windows shorter, eg counter height. To me, that is the mark of a true unfitted kitchen ... windows were not sacrificed for the ubiquitous countertop.

All the old windows are in the garage. Perhaps three of them will find their way back "home"...

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I'm glad you expanded your options to be florals rather than strictly chintz. I've never been a fan of chintz because it is, well, chintzy...I've never liked the feel of the fabric, and for some reason...probably learned it from my mother... the feel of the fabric is as important to me as the look...probably why I like microfiber and don't like bark cloth.

But I love florals esp since they bring a whole palette of colors to the table (and drapes, pillows...)

• MagnoliaMom3
    10 years ago

Enjoying reading this thread! I, too, love a moderate sprinkle of floral chintz, and I plan to use it along with a large-scale gingham and toile here & there to decorate our new-to-us house. My mother in law is giving me two custom made chintz bedspreads from the 1980s -- she had them made for my sister-in-law's room when she was a teen. They are beautiful, and so adorably English-chintzy-chic. I cannot wait to put them on my daughters' beds! They are cream in the background, with pink roses and blue ribbons.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That sounds like fun. Very Mario Buatta. You will have to post pictures for us!

• vedazu
    10 years ago

Can't resist showing you all a picture of my Grande Dame chair--clothed in a Clarence House chintz called Wallis Simpson Bouquet. (Bought online at a great discount, of course.) I've got plenty of guests who are men--oh, don't take that the wrong way!--and they all fight to sit in the chair. Obviously, I love chintz, included the glazed. Can't find it much anymore--after looking at the big houses that traditionally printed chintz for a couple of weeks recently, I found just a couple of examples among hundreds.....I guess this means that everyone will be buying chintz again in about a year.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Love that chair.

I have always liked chintz, especially ones with birds. The Thibaut in soft green is to die for mlweaving!