Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fripper_gw

Does anyone have black background drapes? Pics please!

fripper
11 years ago

I've been looking for months for the right drapes or drapery fabric for my DR. Finally enlisted help from a decorator friend who suggested something with a black background - maybe like the one shown in attached photo. These would be side panels only. Would love to see pics if anyone has black or very dark background drapes with a pattern of some kind. Thanks a bunch.

Comments (13)

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

I don't have black background draperies, but from my experience with black fabric lampshades, I would caution you to use a heavy or blackout lining, so that the black remains dark when light is shining through it. I love that fabric and think it would look stunning as draperies.

• fripper
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You're right ... I would definitely line them. Can't believe how difficult it's been to find something that gives a little punch to soft buttery-yellow walls. I rehung my original old-gold silk draperies, which are nice quality - custom made lined & interlined - but they're terribly boring with the new wall color. As an alternative, she suggested I might consider something like this. Definitely not boring! ;))

• caminnc
    11 years ago

Fed Ex just delivered my fabric about an hour ago. It's going to be drapery panels and roman shades in my breakfast/kitchen area. Here is a picture of it.

• caminnc
    11 years ago

Another black

• movin-on
    11 years ago

I had black background drapes in my living room and dining room. I loved the feeling of the room! I encourage you to just "do it".

Sorry I don't have pictures

• fripper
    Original Author
    11 years ago

caminnc - Mind me asking where you got that gorgeous fabric? I hope you post pics when you get these done. Are you doing them yourself?

movin-on - Thanks for the encouragement. I'm close to hitting the button and buying. Close ... but not quite there yet.

Only hesitation is that DR is open to a basically "country" type kitchen and I'm a little worried about the Oriental aspect. However, I really love the colors against the black and could perhaps bring in some accessories or lamps to tie it together. Getting a little closer ... ;)))

• caminnc
    11 years ago

Thinking about doing them myself but I will have to get up the courage. Saw the fabric in a store for 25.99 yd. and got it online for 9.58 per yd. I think the scale will come out close to the window treatments in the picture below. DSis had black drapes (with a pattern) and she said she loved them because they gave the room substance.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fabric

• woodsy_1
    11 years ago

I have draperies with black backgrounds in my living and dining rooms. My walls are dark, but you'll get the idea. I apologize for my lack of photo skills. The pictures are from Christmas so the living room is all switched around.

Living Room:

Dining Room:

If anyone wonders, the trim work is still not finished. The wing chairs have yet to be reupholstered. It's been a heckuva year!

• fripper
    Original Author
    11 years ago

woodsy1: Your home is lovely - so warm and inviting. The dark draperies look great with your deep paint colors. Thanks for the pics.

• Boopadaboo
    11 years ago

Not black, but dark brown.....

and....

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

I have black plaid valances in the kitchen dining area~they're Chris Madden from Penney's they have ivory and tan in with the black, making it a black/tan/ivory plaid. I checked on the Penney's website, but doesn't seem to be available anymore. I bought them 3years ago.

Go with the black~it's very dramatic. ;o)

• denali2007
    11 years ago

Here are mine

• fripper
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone for the lovely pictures and advice! I'm convinced now that black background is the way to go for this room. Will get some sleep now and figure yardage etc tomorrow. I'm so excited! ;)))