Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maddybeagle

Bungalow exterior is finished!

maddybeagle
9 years ago

Forum friends, I've been here a few times over the past year or so dithering about what color to paint the outside of my tiny 1922 bungalow. Well, decisions finally happened and painting was completed over the last 3 weeks! I thought I'd stop back in to share the results. After mulling some fairly deep colors, like a cranberry red or plum color, I decided that since the house is so small and sits in deep shade, a lighter color would brighten the experience of arriving at the house. I also decided to keep the trim very simple, with just one trim color, since the style of trim on this house is chunky and clean-lined. For the time being, I also had the new, period-style front door painted to match the trim, though I can see painting it a more interesting color after I've lived with the whole color scheme for a while. Final color decisions: the body of the house is BM 304 Shooting Star and the trim is BM AF-20 Mascarpone (thanks to members of this forum for calling my attention to that wonderful color). The porch floor is BM 1427 French Violet. I am VERY happy with the result. It's like having a whole new house!

Comments (55)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Gorgeous, perfect, I adore it.

How uplifting!

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

I also LOL on "wet band-aid" but this new color scheme is perfect. Beautiful home!

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

Thanks so much for the follow-up posting. I love seeing the results and your house looks so much more cheerful now!

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

Omigosh, I don't know where you live and I don't much care; is it for sale?!!! I love bungalows and your paint combination is perfect. (Now I want to see inside.) ;o)

• maddybeagle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lol, tomatofreak, I am never moving again! This is my forever house. Right-sized, one-level, and now cheery yellow. The interior is currently in that state of disarray that results from having workmen all over the house all summer + multiple dogs, but at the link below is the thread from three years ago when I was having the interior painted before moving in. The same fantastic paint crew did the exterior.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carinr's bungalow interior-Spring 2011

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Oh, your house looks spectacular! I am going to be driving all around our local neighborhood which has many places like that just to see if you are here! Not to sound creepy or anything-ha-it is just so pretty now!

I am willing to bet you will end up with a color on your door! Maybe you should start that thread now. ;) I say pick up the blue on your neighbor's house and add an old bench under the windows in the same shade. Pots of plumbago or blue hydrangeas out front and you have...perfection!

Of course, it is pretty much perfect as it is, too!

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

Fabulous! Perfect color. I just love it!

• theclose
    9 years ago

Love love that color! What a beautiful home. I, too, vote for a blue door. Enjoy!

• rockybird
    9 years ago

I just love your bungalow! The color is perfect. It is an adorable house!

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Oh my heavens, I love it! I would be grinning ear to ear each time I walked in the door. The yellow is such a beautiful, cheery color and a perfect foil to the blue home next door. I will also give a nod to the idea of blue for the door!!

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

It's just perfect!

• finallyhome
    9 years ago

Your home made me happy just viewing both the inside and out. Wonderful job.

Makes me want to go out and buy some print fabric and paint.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Front door in BM Largo Teal

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

Sob, sob; I even love the D.C. area. Now, I'm going to have to look for a bungalow, that are not very common here. :(

I went through your earlier link and just love your color choices. I think I do have to paint my bathroom with that Chinese red. How could I not?

• lizbeth-gardener
    9 years ago

I love it! I really like how you cleaned up the "debris" around the front door-moved the house numbers, still visible, but not the focal point; moved the mailbox; made the windows one color- they appear stronger/cleaner and the white on the door makes it visible-can now see it has three panes. The yellow is so cheery. Great job! Thanks for posting the before and afters.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

It's BETTER than having a whole new house! My old cape in Maine is painted in a similar color and I love it and yours. The wet band-aid name for the previous color is perfection. :-)

I looked at your other thread with the gorgeous inside colors. Do you have any updates on your fabric choices, and window treatments? I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to see them!

• maddybeagle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, everybody! I can see ending up with a blue door, but the choice of blue would need to take into account the blue-purple porch floor. Here's a closeup of that. Another door color idea is a grassy green. I've currently painted my house numbers BM Buckingham Gardens, which looks great with the yellow and with the porch floor. You can see it on a door in the pic at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• maddybeagle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

lizbeth-gardener, I still need to re-hang the mailbox, but I think the whole effect will still be clean and tidy. my3dogs, I do have more interior pics but will have to do some digging around the computer to find the best ones. I did find some of the window treatments when they were newly hung. Here is the small bedroom window with exactly two yards of a very expensive Pierre Frey fabric in the blind -- something I could only afford for the room with only one window! (This is the one for which I'd hoped to use that yellow Pierre Deux fabric when Pierre Deux suddenly went out of business.)

• maddybeagle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's the back bedroom, with its lavender walls complemented by orange-striped blinds.

• maddybeagle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And here's the Chinese Orange bathroom finished with blind and shower curtain.

• maddybeagle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Final bonus: when I look out my back window, instead of seeing a wet-band-aid-beige garage, I now see THIS! Later this fall, the back yard will get planted with all kinds of wonderful green things to frame the garage. This color is BM 1419 Persian Violet.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I just love all your color choices. Now THAT is a happy looking home!

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Love your bungalow, and the colors you have chosen are wonderful! How happy you must be with the results. Maybe you could even use the same blue-violet color on the front door, just darkened a bit.

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

Oh gosh, I love it all, especially the purple garage and the orange bathroom.

Would the Persian Violet work on the front door? Or as outsideplaying said, just a slightly darker version of the porch color.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

I would have taken a chain saw to those bushes in the front prior to painting. Did anyone mention anything about the structural stability of the swooping beam across the entrance to the house?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Cranberry for the front door.

• maddybeagle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

All good front door ideas, and Tibbrix, sorry I didn't see your teal idea upthread. As for the beam across the porch, yes, it has a saggy shape, but it's stable as is. Since we had an earthquake two months after I moved in, I can tell what's prone to shifting and what isn't. The garage ought not to be standing, since its walls bow alarmingly, but it is. The house is full of odd angles, but the plaster would tell if there were serious settling. And the bushes: I'd gotten in the habit of not seeing them until the house got so pretty. They definitely have to go.

• teeda
    9 years ago

Just gorgeous. I love everything about your home!

• teeda
    9 years ago

Just gorgeous. I love everything about your home!

• missymoo12
    9 years ago

That is the cutest bungalow I've seen in a long time! And the purple garage! Too cute.

• nutsaboutplants
    9 years ago

Beautiful inside and out! Makes me happy just looking at the pictures. It must be a cheerful place to live in. Great Job!

• sweet_betsy No AL Z7
    9 years ago

What a happy, sunshiny color! I love it.

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

It does look like a whole new house! Dang cute. Such personality showing inside, too.

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

Black for the door : )

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

Charming and cheery! I love the blue-violet garage garage, too!!!!

• kswl2
    9 years ago

The house is charming!

• theclose
    9 years ago

Ok. Changing my door color vote. I LOVE green and Buckingham Gardens is gorgeous! That will be fab with the yellow and the color of your front porch. Do it! Can't wait to see it.

• zippity1
    9 years ago

my parents painted our home creamy yellow color very similiar to that one in 1950-of course all windows had screens and screens and roof were green
    to this day that house is still that color and has never had another color scheme
    we moved away after my father died in 1961 but my grandparents still lived up the road
    it still looks exactly the same as we drive by at least once a year.....
    grandparents home is owned by a cousin and their home still looks the same with the exact same as pics from the 1940's front porch furniture purchased about 1940 .... everyone's afraid to sit on the furniture......

• pricklypearcactus
    9 years ago

Ugh, wet bandaid indeed! This new color is stunning and really looks perfect for your adorable house. I only wish my house looked that great. Well done!

• peony4
    9 years ago

Chiming in to say how beautiful it turned out! And I would be so very happy to view the violet garage out my window each day... so pretty.

• maddybeagle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi all. I'm reporting back in now that planting of the new back garden has been completed so you can see the house colors in context. Here's a closeup of the Persian Violet garage with new Sweetbay magnolia.

• maddybeagle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A larger view across the patio towards the garage.

• maddybeagle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Looking from the patio towards the newly-yellow house.

• maddybeagle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And you'll all be glad to see the scraggly photinia no longer obscuring the front columns. The front yard needs some tidying up, but here's the pretty yellow with some nice, new, moderate-sized rhododendrons.

• msrose
    9 years ago

Looks gorgeous! I know how thrilled you must be.

• lovestowalk
    9 years ago

Your bungalow is adorable. Love your paint colors and the new landscaping is beautiful. Wonderful job!!

• texasgal47
    9 years ago

Carinr, everything looks absolutely amazing! Love all of your colors and now that awesome landscaping and brickwork to set it off. Did you design the landscaping or is that the work of a professional? It all looks so perfect and very expensive.
    My vote for the front door is to go with black, add black planters on the porch with red geraniums. Anyway, thanks for sharing. I greatly enjoyed your reveals. By the way, your "looks like a wet band aid" should be added to the GW list of classic quotes.

• melsouth
    9 years ago

Love your bungalow-
    Love your color choices-
    And your landscaping is beautiful, too.
    Two bandaid-free thumbs up!

• amykath
    9 years ago

What a transformation! I love it! Bet you are thrilled!!

• maddybeagle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, everybody! Texasgal47, I hired a landscape architect to design paths, patio, and plantings. I'm good at colors and interiors, but I have *no* gardening sense and, as a design matter, have no ability to think in the 4th dimension: TIME! I can't picture what plants will look like in combination with each other through the seasons and in years to come.

I originally hired a landscape architect, as opposed to just a landscaper, because even though the yard is small and looks pretty much flat, we needed to do some complicated things with drainage and levels and I wanted to be sure none of the needed excavating was going to make the 1922 garage fall down. The whole thing is now a miracle of perfect drainage, with water from uphill going through new drains and sheeting across the walks and patio and all going to a new rain garden hidden among the dogwoods.

I am, indeed, a very happy camper - and a broke one - but I'm feeling much better than before about the integrity of the envelope of the house, between proper preparation and extensive caulking by the painters and the clever drainage solutions by Ryan the landscape architect.