Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_9268002

PLEASE Vote analysis paralysis

User
10 years ago

I am having analysis paralysis.
I keep wavering between these 2 very similar sofas. -- looking at sofa loveseat combo.....they do have different dimensions (slightly) - I have not found it exactly as I want it am still searching the fabrics but am looking for this in a navy fabric.

The background story is I thought I was in love with the 1st one thought it was great already in my color-, and requested a sample of the fabric which is really reading drab dark steel grey with a smattering of blue. Not what I had in mind. so now I need to look for fabrics.
Then I saw the Broyhill one shown in tan (all of this is on the web and I cannot find either of these 2 sofas in my area, but can find stores that can order them and carry the manufacturers and fabrics......... of course not the same store because that would be easy:)..........
What do you think Is one more appealing? I am thinking I like the look of the Broyhill one better but thought I would ask you guys. just realized I am unable to link both so this is ROWE BLEEKER. Next post will have BROYHILL HARRISON.

Comments (43)

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And NOW. Broyhill Harrison. (obviously, ignore the pillows and picture in navy ish)
    What say you?

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

They are so similar but I like the first one slightly more. However, I have to say that I could never order a sofa without sitting on it, etc., IRL first.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Absolutely will be putting my tush in one before its ordered.:) I totally agree. just trying to narrow down)
    ... so that's one vote for the first:)

• juliekcmo
    10 years ago

To me, here are the differences:

First one appears to have silver tone tacking, and a full face piece on the front of the rolled arm.

Second one appears to have brass/bronze tacks, and a smaller inset face piece on the rolled arm.

First seems to be a more contemporary interpretation, and second more transitional.
    Arm on the first reads a bit larger in scale than the second due to the way the front piece is larger on the first one.

I suspect that the arm on the second will have possibly more padding than the first.

I think overall they are very similar, but the second is more transitional and refined, and the first is more contemporary and chunky.

• User
    10 years ago

I like the first one with the larger center space between the nail heads

• User
    10 years ago

I like the first one with the larger center space between the nail heads

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I should have mentioned that the nailheads are in either metal tone. ( I ike the silver on navy but think brass would be more refined and better in my house). what I think is getting me is I think I prefer the line of nailhead along the bottom and the narrower arm nailheads on the 2nd one.....can't decide if that is meaningful or not. Maybe less is more? I appreciate all the input- as you can see I have a tough time with decisions.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I like the first one as well.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

I like them both, but the first one looks like a sofa they added nailheads to because it's trendy. The second one looks like a style that would have nailheads regardless of the trend.

• cheryleb
    10 years ago

I prefer the first one. I find the straight side on the cushion to be a cleaner line than the second one where it curves around the arm. That is personal preference though. They are very similar and very n ice.

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

Are either of them fixed-back ?

• Rory (Zone 6b)
    10 years ago

I like #2 best

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    10 years ago

I have that Rowe sofa and it reads navy IRL when you see the whole sofa upholstered in that fabric.

If you have access to BM paint samples, the blue fabric is a tweed-like mixture of hale navy and newburyport blue.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

I prefer the look of the back cushion fitting over the arm, versus the plain rectangle of the first one. And I like the more refined look of the nailhead trim on the second one.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

At overall first glance I like number one the best but when I imagine number two in navy I prefer that one, so my vote would be for number two in navy.

• chibimimi
    10 years ago

I vote for the second, for the reasons that Julie pointed out. But it really also depends on what else is in the room and whether you want a more refined or more contemporary look.

• crl_
    10 years ago

I like the second. The way the nailheads are done seems more finished somehow.

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

I like #2 sofa best. I like tack placement on the arms and under the seat better. In general I think I like something else about the shape of the second one better, but I can't put my finger on it.

• MarinaGal
    10 years ago

I think the second sofa looks like a more refined and expensive piece of furniture and agree with what Holly-Kay said - I would like it in navy or a deep blue.

• MarinaGal
    10 years ago

sticky ipad - sorry!

This post was edited by MarinaGal on Sun, Sep 1, 13 at 15:30

• indygo
    10 years ago

The second one!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

The second one looks to have a lower back...be sure you check if the height matters in your space. In my LR, I didn't realize how high the back was vs my old sofa so I had to change things up to bring it back into scale.

• abrshafer
    10 years ago

The second one.

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

Second one. For all the reasons already stated. It looks more substanstal. Are the cushions in the first one fixed? That would be a big NO for me.

• mom2sah
    10 years ago

We have been furniture shopping forever too so I understand your pain!

I like the 2nd one better.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow! When I left earlier, way at the beginning, most people preferred the first one. Then now I came back and most prefer the 2nd one for pretty much the reasons I did. thank you all for your pointers and I was amazed (and somewhat relieved/validated) to learn that Deedee has the sofa and knows the color dilemnna I am suffering with. I had gone today to check out the first one and sit in it (well one by the manufacturer with same dimensions) and it was quite lovely. I did doublecheck the fabrics Now I guess tomorrow hopefully I will track down the second one and check out fabrics. I need to double check the pricing of course but they were pretty similar( I think the Broyhill 2nd one was actually cheaper but I have to check on fabrics).
    The dimensions are
    Rowe
    85 W 35 Hi 37 Deep

Broyhill is
    84 Wide 39 high and 39 Deep.
    The back cushions are attached.
    I so appreciate the feedback.:)

• dashmag
    10 years ago

First one, more classic one and quality of Rowe furniture is better then Broyhill.

• User
    10 years ago

I perfer the first one. I just wanted to point out on my monitor the 2nd couch fabric looks like it has pink undertones. I have pink undertones in lots of things in my house (flooring, carpet, etc.) and I find it very limiting. Yellows and oranges clash with it making it appear dirty. Big ticket items with pink undertones will never come into my house again.

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

Well, then I vote for the Broyhill.
    I'm just not a fan of loose-back cushions.

• peegee
    10 years ago

Not going by construction, brand, quality, etc. but just in appearance; #2 for what others have stated. Also I dislike the feet all the same on #1, and feel the look of straight legs in back seems more authentic/feels better....And agree w/Olychick about the nailhead trim . To me feels more like an afterthought, and I don't like how the nailhead trim just seems to run down off the bottom on #1, but on #2 it resolves by going across=more finished effect.

• amykath
    10 years ago

I like number 2. I like the look better and it looks way more comfy!

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well this is why I like this forum so much- I did not notice the back legs on the broyhill being straight but agree it might work better.
    I am still quite up in the air about it and at least feel honestly that either would be a fine choice.
    I still think at this moment I am preferring the 2nd (Broyhill) .
    Shee, I couldn't find a pic of it in navy - the color will be navy in either one so don't focus on the color too much:).
    Today I am going to try to find the broyhill fabric options. I thought that would be easier than the Rowe but so far not so.
    You guys rock

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Another vote for the second one.

We have an 10yr+ RH sofa that is slipcovered in off white linen, that i had in my son's room when it was his nursery. I was remarking to my DH how timeless it was. And he said, no, the arm is too wide and too "curlicue" vs what they sell today. Darn if he isn't right. He started teasing me and calling it our "Blue's Clues sofa" (below).

The first one feels a tad bit Blues-Cluesy to me. : )

{{!gwi}}

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

well, I am taking a breather -at least for a few days. The decision making process is really getting to me.
    I was hesitant whether to share this well why not~
    I went today to look for Broyhill fabric. The person at the store said that they are reluctant to special order anything from Broyhill as there has been some increased uncertainty with them of late. I am not so concerned as I will be using a credit card, but I thought I would try another place or two. It's a shame because it's American made (As is ROWE) and I had thought they had turned it around.. Also a shame because I think I did prefer that sofa with the detailing. Also I am not sure if it matters, but I would also be settling on a navy(not really navy more medium but decent) microfiber. So we are at a standstill. Maybe in the next week(s) things will evolve and we can all know what is happening.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

so I have asked around and apparently the broyhill one is only available in 2 fabrics no special orders.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

Can't tell if Broyhill is still in the running based on your last posting sheilaaus122, but I looked at their sofa selections on-line after reading the various posts. Like some other posters, I prefer a tight back on a sofa & also prefer fewer seat cushions.

Here are a few similar style selections from Broyhill that might work for your home. I have noted 2 styles that I would vote for. Don't know if they are available in blue fabric, or what the price point might be. I've included your original selection for comparison. Good luck.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I was at our local furniture store today. I have been dithering back and forth as well in choosing furniture and fabric. I want American made and our local fs carries Smith Brothers furniture. While I was there heard a salesman saying some things about Broyhill money wise but didn't hear what was actually being said as I was so engrossed in looking at fabric choices. It will truly be a shame if Broyhill closes up. have a Broyhill bedside table that I purchased rather inexpensively and I love it. The quality is very good and I wish I had found a second table to go with it but it was a close out.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

A posting from the Furniture Forum today:

"Like I said above, Furniture Brands is teetering on insolvency. It's brand names include Henredon, Maitland-Smith, Broyhill, Hickory, LaBarge, Thomasville, Lane, Lane Venture, Drexel Heritage, and Pearson. While it would be nice to help them out, I think it's risky to buy from a failing company as a warranty is only as good as the company behind it."

Buyer Beware.

• lorishopaholic
    10 years ago

I love the first one! But it would depend on your other elements etc. I think the first one looks classier and is timeless. The second one just didn't catch my attention like the first one did.

• User
    10 years ago

The proportions are better on the first sofa, and It looks nicer in quality. The spaced vs close together nail heads are just two different looks. I've seen many of the closely placed nail heads that aren't in a perfectly straight line because they are too close together.... That would drive me mad. Otoh, I don't love the "western shirt with snaps" look of the widely space, silver nailheads on sofa #1. This western shirt look can be gotten around by ordering darker brass nailheads on the navy/dark sofa. That's what I would do.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I continue to appreciate all the advice shared here, and since unfortunately Broyhill does not seem to be an option at this time, I will likely be going for the first sofa and loveseat combo. For what its worth, I do prefer the 3 seat cushions and am somewhat indifferent to the tight back or loose back cushions.
    It really is a pity because I have had Broyhill and have been so pleased with it. I am certain Rowe is also a fine brand, but its just a shame that made in America is not an easy thing.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just thought I would update- that Yes, I ordered the Rowe sofa/loveseat (couch #1). I ordered it with brass nailheads. I am sure I will love it.
    I did try initially to see if I could find anyone who would order the Broyhill set in a different fabric (I think it comes in 2 colors a tan and a sage)... and it was not to be.

I always appreciate all the feedback on here and figured it's always nice to update everyone.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Oh, I am glad! That was the one I preferred and I can't wait to see it in your place! Thanks for the update.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths