Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbtexan

What colors with pinky taupe?

Silvey Marshall
9 years ago

I bought two beautiful chairs that looked neutral taupe in the store and pinky taupe at home. I have an opportunity to neutralize them a bit with the sofa fabric I will be choosing and accents. I like aqua or could go with other blues. I know those colors work well with taupe.

About the sofa....would a medium tone gray/beige (mushroom) look OK with the chairs? I brought home a medium taupe sofa fabric sample but it has a greenish undertone. The photo shows the chair fabric along with that sofa fabric. What do you think?

Thanks.

Comments (21)

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

That fabric doesn't read pink on the screen. You don't happen to have it in a green room do you? Maybe it's only looking pink by comparison. *fingers crossed!* Can we see the chair from a distance?

• Silvey Marshall
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The chairs were just delivered. They are big! You wouldn't believe my panic when the delivery guys came. I asked my friend to come over and help me decide if I would keep them or not.

We decided the problem was with the loveseat. Overstuffed as it it, It's too low and looks dwarfed beside the chairs. Anyway, I"m getting a new sofa and ottoman, so ignore all the colors in the photo. And yes, the chairs are a pinkish taupe. I definitely don't want a pinkish taupe sofa. Would a gray-beige in a darker tone work?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Those chairs are gorgeous. I'd get a textured, but no patterned, chocolate brown sofa, some kind of chenille.Something like this:

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Your new chairs are lovely and they look comfy. I think I would use velvet. I like Tib's idea of a chocolate brown but a blue velvet would also look superb.

• Silvey Marshall
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Those are both great ideas. I'm so conservative with colors, that I'm a little fearful to step out with something not pale neutral. I need to get a little bolder.

I said I was getting a new sofa, but I also have the option of reupholstering this current loveseat. Although it's 20 years old, it's a Flexsteel and built to last. It would need to be raised up since it sits too low and the cushions are thinner than the chairs' cushions. It's got the big rolled arms. I was thinking of having them cut down, but the sofa may need the bulk to balance with the chairs. Any thoughts on reupholstering vs buying new? I am getting an estimate tomorrow.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I agree that the love seat causes the chairs to look huge. I'd find an antique sofa, in an antique store or on CL, or somewhere, and reupholster that. New sofas are not made wellâ¦or you spend a fortune for them.

• Silvey Marshall
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Funny thing, but the man who does upholstery works in an upscale furniture consignment store and he does a lot of re-upholstery on antique chairs. I'll give that some thought.

But If I can't find an antique sofa I like and I do end up buying a new one, do I need to keep the lines straight and simple since there is some complexity in the chairs? I know the sofa back needs to be high, or add height with a sofa table and lamps behind it.

By the way, we placed something under the feet of the loveseat to raise it up. That did improve it. Still not sure it's the right fit. I can't have a full size sofa there because it would block a walkway. About 77 inches would be the max. I could switch the placement of the chairs and sofa. That would allow for a full sofa, I kinda liked the chairs in front of the windows, but I'm open.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Do you have a bigger pic of the whole room?

Look at Lee Industries sofas. While it's personal choice, I highly recommend a tight back sofa, and possibly a tight seat as well, esp. since it seems like you don't stretch out on your sofas.

• rgps
    9 years ago

I can't believe it but I'm loving this grey with your chairs.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Like this (Lee)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

or this

• Silvey Marshall
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Please excuse the mess! I am remodeling, you know. I don't know how to post more than one photo, but here's the first... This is a view of the room from the window. This used to be two rooms. You can see a short wall behind the chair.

• Silvey Marshall
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And here is the view from the front door....

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

A Flexsteel sofa, huh?That is an indestructible piece of furniture. I think I'd give it a makeover and live with it another 20 years. You can put new feet on to raise it and any good upholsterer will fluff up the cushions and arms.

I love the gray and brown colors above, but not the light blue.

• loribee
    9 years ago

Like the gray and brown too but what about navy?

• User
    9 years ago

Are you planning to keep the carpet? On my ipad the color fights with the chairs. Also would not use a fabric shot with a mustard yellow, as that brown fabric, or a royal blue....you don't want to just pick a color out of thin air without any consideration for the rest of the decor in your home.

One thing that may be affecting how your chairs reflect light is the wall color. (On my screen it looks almost pink, but as we've all discovered, colors are rarely depicted truely on computers!) If your comfort zone is really in neutrals, a solid taupe sofa would look great with your chairs and might really look best. You could bring in color with pillows and accessories.

I would probably go back to the store and take another look at what they were displaying the chairs with to get ideas.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

FYI: I in the first photo, of the Lee tufted sofa, I meant the sofa style, not the color. I don't like the light blue. But I was suggesting the two sofa styles from Lee for her room. Those just happen to be the fabrics Lee has them in.

I think the love seat is just way too small. The ottoman sitting there is kind of awkward as well.

I'd definitely change the furniture setup. Get a full-size sofa, and have it facing the FP, console table behind the sofa. Leave the chair that is by the bookcases where it is, and put the other in front of the window next to the FP, at the same diagonal as the bookcase chair, facing inward. IN other words, you're turning the setup you have one turn to the right.

The larger table would have to be moved.

• Silvey Marshall
    Original Author
    9 years ago

kwsi: Yes, the carpet color is not good, though it is not as noticeable in person because the flash gave it more warmth. I have the option of having the wood floors refinished.

Tib, I'm going back and forth on the sofa. It's a little bigger than the picture makes it look. The main problem is that it's just so low and I would prefer arms that are more like the chairs.

The upholsterer came today and estimated $175 labor plus fabric. That includes cutting the arms down and taller legs. I may do it even if I move the sofa to another room. He said the quality is very good and hard to find (he had some negative things to say about Ethan Allen, but that's another story). I love the English arm, two-seat sofa. I'm not seeing too many of them here (Dallas/Fort Worth) that are on the smaller side.

The challenge with having the chairs on either side of the fireplace is that it would leave a lot of space even with chair tables. I had that configuration for years, but I've never really liked walking in the front door and facing the back of a sofa, even with a sofa table.

This post was edited by BJB-TX on Wed, Sep 10, 14 at 20:47

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Lee English roll arm, two cushions sofa

$175â¦great deal!

• Silvey Marshall
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, that's exactly what I'd like to have. Here's one that comes close, but the arms are simply short rolled. I've seen some very nice curved sofas as well online but not much in the stores.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

The back cushions on the sofa in your photo will be completely misshapen and uncomfortable in no time.

I too l love English roll-arm sofas. Lee makes very good sofas (pottery barn). Go for it.