Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutsaboutplants

Please vote -- island or no island?

nutsaboutplants
9 years ago

My new kitchen is much smaller than my other kitchen. Less cabinet space, less countertop space and no island. It is not that big either about 20 x 9 and has some angles. Despite the small size, I'm wondering if it could use a long and narrow island, so that you have a place to set things when you get things out of the fridge, more counter space, cabinets, etc. I already have the perfect size slab if I want to use it for an island. Here is the slab, which is about 3 x6. You will also see a second slab, a little longer and thinner behind it. So, should I add an island or not? Please vote. I'd be thankful for any feedback!

This post was edited by nutsaboutplants on Sat, Sep 13, 14 at 11:50

Comments (30)

• nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the kitchen.

• nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kitchen

• nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kitchen again

• nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Slab - another view

• busybee3
    9 years ago

I definitely would do an island... enough storage and work surfaces are so important in a kitchen!!! you could consider making it a freestanding island on casters if you're concerned with it being fixed...

• User
    9 years ago

Definitely yes. However, are you recycling that slab? Otherwise, I'd do either a wood top for the island.

• teacats
    9 years ago

Yes. A BIG vote for YES.

O.K. -- a couple of easy tests --

a)Open the door of your fridge, dish washer and ovens -- and then measure the open space.

b)Simply open your fridge or dishwasher or oven -- and then stretch out your arm (pretend you are placing down a dish) -- and again -- see how much open space you have .....

Yeah, I know these tests sound weird -- but I found (in my tiny tiny kitchen -- that it helped to REALLY measure the open space to help me "see" a possible island. My tiny but necessary island is a mere 24 inches square!!!

• eandhl
    9 years ago

Move the black bakers rack into the kitchen for a week. See how you like walking around it and how crowded you feel.

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

Or put a table where you think the island can go. Card board boxes work too.

• daisychain01
    9 years ago

Our kitchen is 11x11 and everyone said it was too small for an island. I made a moveable island and it is perfect for us even though our aisles are not as wide as recommended. However, having said that, I would do as suggested above and try it with box or table of same size you are thinking of doing.

• tuesday_2008
    9 years ago

Yes definitely! Build you a mock one with a tall cardboard box for the base (don't worry if that size is off) and lay a large, heavy piece of cardboard on it. Work around that for a few days and start trimming it to the best fit.

I have peninsula type bar that I lived with like that for a few weeks to get the feel of it.

• nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks guys! Tibbrix, the slabs are remnants from the kitchen countertop and backsplash project. I asked them to demibull the remnant slabs too in case I wanted to use it for a bench or as a table top or an island. Thanks for the idea to mock up the size of the island, size up the free space around it. Just did that with some huge wardrobe boxes from the move. It appears to work.Daisychain and busybee both mentioned a mobile island on casters. What type of base did you use? How stable is it if it is on casters? Are you limited in the type of countertop you can use for weight reasons? In other words, if I want to use the granite slab, is granite too heavy for an island on casters? Sorry if I sound clueless. Thanks.

• nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Teacats, I'm encouraged by your example. I'm sure even a 2'x2' island is useful.

• User
    9 years ago

Nutsabout,
    My answer is definately have an island. I have a smaller kitchen than yours, and I have one. I couldn't cook without it.
    What is that brick wall used for?
    Is there any way to put up a nice wood pull down island on that?
    I guess not since its in front of the walkway, but yes. Have an island.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Only if the island is moveable. The island will be directly in the path of..............everything. I would try out the cardboard box trick first and see if the island isn't an impediment.

• User
    9 years ago

Use the scrap for a hearth or something. The kitchen is too small for an island in the middle of all of the traffic paths, serving as a barrier to working.

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

Sorry, NO. Get a nice kitchen table.

• User
    9 years ago

A little of that granite goes a long way, and you've got it on perimeter, peninsula, and back splash. Bring in wood with a small moveable island so the beautiful, rustic brick doesn't look forgotten in the bling.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Many years ago I was told that my kitchen was too small for an island. I wanted to see if that was true so I moved a 36" square table into my kitchen and loved it. When I reno-ed the kitchen last year I added an island and it was one of the best decisions I made. The island is small but perfect as a landing spot for hot foods from the oven and items to go in the fridge. The walkways are smaller than suggested but it has been the perfect addition to my kitchen.

• User
    9 years ago

At 9' in width, the kitchen is much too small for a fixed 6'x3' island. A 30" x 30" square on casters is the most practical size for you, and in that kitchen I personally would use butcher block. The granite is very, very busy and doesn't really complement your cabinet color or your floors.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

Something in the middle, YES, whatever you want to call it.

• nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the input. Have a huge box as a mock up in the kitchen right now.Will see how it feels after a few days.

• samhain10 - 5a
    9 years ago

This is not my usual area to comment on, but I wish I had an island - so YES! Such an aid to working in the kitchen. I would happily deal with feeling crowded walk-wise, just to have the extra work space.

• daisychain01
    9 years ago

Our island isn't on casters. It is basically a kitchen table with a cab built into one end and a long shelf that runs under the middle of the table (I keep baskets with potatoes, onions, etc on the shelf). It just sits on legs like a regular table would. I made it table height because I wanted a surface for kneading dough, etc. I designed and built it myself. I ordered the parts from table legs dot com. They were great about helping me figure out what I needed and getting me the best deal on shipping. It was way cheaper than hiring someone to do it for me (at the time anyways - this was about 8 years ago). They sell counter height legs, too.
    Please ignore baking and supper mess :)

• nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Daisy chain, you did a great job with that island height table. Looks great. Samhain, thanks for the feedback. I'm leaning that way too.

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

Casters can be added to almost any free standing table/cabinet..they can be very industrial and deal with a lot of weight or more furniture style. Some lock, so it wouldn't move on you. I think once you decide on the THING you will use as an island you will be able to find casters that would be appropriate, if you decide to go that way. I am just not sure of the point. They are all the rage right now--the industrial look--but those who have a moveable island--how often do you move it and why?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

An island with wheels or casters allows you to place the work surface where you require it for the task. Sometimes you just need a little more counter where you're doing the task and the movable island allows you to custom configure your space.

Use that left over granite for a coffee table top. There's plenty going on in this kitchen.

• busybee3
    9 years ago

I do not have an island on casters... but a couple of houses ago the kitchen I lived in did not have an island- I didn't like not having an island and bought a big 2 1/2 X 4' butcherblock table which was on casters... it was handy to move around sometimes-- if we had a large group of people over and I wanted to set up food in a particular area or if I was baking and wanted to work in a certain area or if I was just cleaning the floor!

• zippity1
    9 years ago

i vote for an island, moveable would be nice but i am concerned that the beautiful granite you've chosen will be too busy/visually distracting for a narrow island in your specific kitchen it would seem to take over the kitchen

• nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Arcy, Beverly, busy bee, thanks for the great info on the moveable/caster option. Okokok, Beverly and others, I hear the granite overload concerns and definitely agree. Still trying to live with the box in the middle to assess the practicality and feel of an island in the middle. Thanks for everyone's time. You guys are great.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County