Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
misstifyftl

Colors that coordinate with BM Camouflage?

misstifyftl
13 years ago

reposting from the paint forum.

I included a link to the house pics below. I know I know, don't post pics with your house address. This is not the house, it is just an empty house with my exact same floorplan. All my furniture is in transition, so I can work with any paint color really.

I THINK we are doing the main living two story open area and foyer in BM Camouflage. I don't love it, but it is the only color I have brought home out of 50 samples that is neutralish that I seem to be okay with. Anyone have Camo pics to encourage me?

I am color blind. What goes with Camo? I would like to do the front two rooms with a bold blue, grey, anything but gold.... or something.

ugh.

Here is a link that might be useful: HOUSE PICS!

Comments (23)

• misstifyftl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

i truly did consider what you mentioned, cpartist!

some of the colors i considered were vale mist, gray wisp, and woodlawn blue. i just cannot commit myself to that much color. i am from south florida and recently moved to NC, so all my previous houses have been tropical colors. every house was painted what we called the magic three: Ambience, Mint Chocolate Chip, and Windy Day. The beach house trifecta.

If I was to explore a color, it would probably be a sand or putty grey (not really color) like revere pewter or cape hattaras sand. I still need to sample those.

I just want to go more classic. I know I can't handle a blue main area. I would like to explore what colors would look okay next to Camo...I am wondering what others used in adjoining rooms with Camo, I am assuming it is mostly gold colors because I cant seem to find anything that goes along with the Camo besides golds!!! I hate gold!!! (for me!)

• cpartist
    13 years ago

I don't just hate gold; I despise it. LOL. BTW: I just bought a winter place in Fl and was never into the Florida trifecta.

Have you looked at maybe doing a wilmington tan (BM HC-34) or a tawny bisque (BM 1110) on the walls for a warm neutral? Both are warm and inviting and give you lots of options. They're tans as opposed to golds. I'm using them both for my new place; the wilmington tan in my LR/DR/hall area (it's a condo) and the tawny bisque to match the bamboo on the back wall of my BR.

Or three great greens I personally love more than the camo are georgian green (BM HC-115), fernwood green (BM 2145-40), and Baby Turtle (BM 515). I just personally like a slightly more vibrant color (but not one that screams).

If you want to stick with the camo, how daring do you want to go? How about Amazon Green (BM 2136-30) with the camo? How elegant would those two front rooms look with that combo? btw: the amazon green would also look super with the wilmington tan! Then for small accents throw in pillows, etc in a color like persimmon (BM 2088-40) or strawberry field (BM 2088-30).
    The red colors are the complement of the camo, and the amazon green keeps the monochromatic look but in a dramatic way.

Or if you want to be really daring, do a color like mexicana (BM 2172-30) on the walls and then use a neutral beige as an accent.

If you're looking to be more serene, how about Nimbus (BM 1465), smoke embers (BM 1466) or winter solstice (BM 1605) to go with the camo?

If you're looking for a beige or tan to go with it, try richmond bisque or stonehouse.

• dawnp
    13 years ago

I have Camouflage in my family room and a powder room. I love it! It is a soft greyed green. I had someone actually come here and ask if she could copy and paint her FR camouflage too.

My kitchen (next door) is Desert Tan which is on the golden spectrum. The diningroom nearby is painted a dark red.

I think a navy blue(Hale Navy) would look great with it. Also, Olive Branch which is on the same card looks good. It really is fairly neutral. In the camouflage room we have, the rug is a brick red.

I suggest you go online and do an image search for Camouflage. I will try to take some photos in the brighter daylight tommorrow to post for you.

Good Luck!

• misstifyftl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

FYI: LOVE LOVE LOVED the gray wisp (BM match for RH silver sage) at half strength for the main area...it just really reads blue in that room. Will def be using it in a bedroom, wish i had the courage to do it in the main area!

• misstifyftl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

wow thanks guys
    the amazon green is interesting because i was actually eyeing kendall charcoal...and the amazon green just kicks that drama up a notch!

thanks for all these suggestions.

can i really do a cool blue like nimbus alongside camo?

please PLEASE bring on any pics. i need them. i am feening for them.

• misstifyftl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

just out of curiousity, does kendall charcoal go with camo?

• cpartist
    13 years ago

absolutely you can do a cool like nimbus alongside. Of course I'm saying that not seeing how the color reacts in your house because everyone's light is a bit different, but if the nimbus doesn't quite work, then look to other blue grays. The idea is that whatever you pick, keep it also slightly "dirty." What I mean by that is that camo has a bit of black mixed into it, so any colors you want to work with it, think in terms of them being "grayed" down too. Otherwise if you pick a really saturated "clean" color, it will make the camo look dreary.

I like the idea also of the hale navy and I'd also look at hc157 and hc 158. Now the question is what will you do for your ceilings? LOL. Don't forget it's the fifth wall.

BTW: My ceilings are 8'8" and I'm doing the wilmington tan as mentioned on the walls, and my ceilings are BM 512 light breeze. I'm using atrium white trim. I'll post pictures when it's all finished.

• cpartist
    13 years ago

Yes the two can go together depending on what else you use. Just test the kendall charcoal out first to make sure it's not too neutral with the camo. Of course a lot of that will depend on the other colors in the room. I can see off white soft goods with accents of the reds I mentioned to make something very dramatic.

• misstifyftl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

i am so bad. i love that kendall charcoal so much i want to paint my face with it.

is that too much?

• dawnp
    13 years ago

Here's one from a Candace Olsen design. Notice the blue pillows on the couch!Pretty.

• cpartist
    13 years ago

Funny thing happened. I walked out of our apartment before and noticed the walls are a color very close to camo. And the color that they paired with it is a chocolate/gray color which looks fabulous! (and I'm not a brown person normally.)

Think hc-76 davenport tan, the next one HC-77 alexandria beige, hc-85 fairview taupe, 1020 woodacres, or 1235 fox hollow brown

• prairiedawnpam
    13 years ago

Most of our home is painted Camo. It has a definite green cast to it and that's just not for me, but it is neutral and I think would work for lots of people. I'm still deciding which colour to replace it with, but General Paint's Brick Dust was a favourite in our last home, so we may do it again here. Our home is very much in progress and I'm not a designer -- which is why I'm here for help -- but here are a few pics.

{{!gwi}}
    Our informal dining room adjoins the kitchen that is Camo. I can't remember the name of this colour, but its a greyed teal, as someone else recommended, probably Pompano Blue. I do like this colour and we used it in two bedrooms, also. The hallway outside of the bedrooms is Camo.

{{!gwi}}

Our living room is a medium brown with a definite purple cast to it and I love it. I think it might be Branchport Brown? It reminds me of hot chocolate.

...Pam

• misstifyftl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

i cant seem to find pompano blue but love the color. any suggestions? is it BM? or is there a #?

• misstifyftl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

would gray wisp go? i have the samples next to each other and i cant tell. i would like to do camo, a darker grey/blue/green, and then gray wisp if they go.

• kelbie
    13 years ago

I just painted my family room (part of a new addition) a pretty blue/gray - BM Kentucky Haze. I have been getting complements from everyone who sees it, and we have a white trim. I did have Camo in my kitchen for years, just now with the addition I had to change it. Now our kitchen is Revere Pewter, which opens to the Kentucky Haze room.

Also, I had a gold in my living/dining room for 4 years and I got so tired of it (BM Vellum) Just repainted that to BM Soft Fern and I LOVE it. Much more of a restful feeling...Good Luck!

• misstifyftl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

love kentucky haze. it would look ok with
    camo i think!

smoky mountain, on the same strip as kentucky, looks pretty!

• cpartist
    13 years ago

I think what you need to do now is get large samples of the colors you like along with the camo and put them together on the walls to see what strikes you. Whatever you do, do not paint before you see large samples on the wall! :) You have gotten lots of good choices to go by. Play with those first, otherwise you'll probably get overwhelmed.

• megpie77
    13 years ago

misstifyftl-I have camouflage througout my main floor. I had brought home so many samples and when I painted a large portion on my wall of the camo I instantly liked it. I love how it goes with silver, white, black , wood toned frames. It seemed to be the neutral I was looking for with some color. Then I got it all on the walls and thought it looked yucky. I hired a designer to help me out. I too do not like too much color. I almost painted my home RH silver sage because I love it. But in my home all of my favorite colors took on too much color and looked dark or too deeply pigmented. I've decided that my favorite colors will be used as accents and that it's not about color necessarily it's how you layer and add texture through accessorizing. I'm no designer this is just my opinion. Back to the designer-She suggested SW sea salt for my kitchen to flow with the camo, however I have an open floor plan and this was to flow with some blue and cream pinstripe curtains in the living room. Or she recomended BM silver marlin depending on the shade of blue in the fabric. So I'm assuming these colors go. Also, check out BM manchester tan and BM muslin. The gal at my local store, who is amazing with color, suggested these to go with camouflage. If you'd like I can post pics but will have to get back to you as I'm in a little hurry right now. Oh and by the way the camouflage has really grown on me. There are some times of the day where I don't love it depending on the lighting and other times of the day when I love it. Good luck and I'll try to remember to post pics later!

• misstifyftl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

i am also scared that once it goes up i will not like it. i am just so lost! i am glad to hear that sometimes you like it.....and i would love pics.

let me ask you, if you could pick another color and get a do-over, what would you pick?

• misstifyftl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

can anyone guesstimate the small stripe of color in the adjoining room in the candace picture, above the fancy black mirror?

also, is it my imagination, or is the ceiling painted camouflage in that adjoining room?

like i said...colorblind.

i am slightly concerned by how many people have chosen camo and then not liked it.

• misstifyftl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

wow...look what i found!
    camo and olive branch in a similar house!

Here is a link that might be useful: Camo Pics!

• megpie77
    13 years ago

If you compare Candice olson's design to my home (not nearly as beautiful) you can see how adding accessories helps to tie in the wall color. I haven't taken the disigner's advice yet but she told me to add frames and other accessories otherwise the wall color just looks boring and the room looks unfinished. If I had gone with another color it probably would have been muslin. It's one of those putty colors I believe. I don't like the camo with my khaki couch. A pretty shade of khaki (like Ballard Design's) would have been much better or an off white slipcover. And like I've repeated before, if my house was pulled together better with accessories I would like it much better. Not to mention I never have liked this house but that't a whole different story. I've included a link to photobucket which includes pics of my living/dining/kitchen all painted camouflage and the two messy bedrooms (too many projects to handle) are painted manchester tan to show you the transition. There are lots of pics with flash on, flash off, lights on, lights off. It is a gray day here today so these colors will look even more grayed down than on a sunny day. And don't forget that ultimately you shouldn't choose a color based on someone elses pictures because of lighting, sun exposure, windows, etc., but I think you could use it as a guide. Camo in my home looks different than in the lovely Candice photo above.

If the link doesn't work or you can't look through my pics let me know.

Here is a link that might be useful: my house

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES