Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaymielo_gw

Plz help the decorating dummy (dining room)!

jaymielo
15 years ago

Help! I've discovered I'm completely decorating challenged. I'm trying to "finish" some of our rooms and having an awful time. Our style is very simple and uncluttered, but after looking at so many wonderful pictures here, I'm wondering if our house looks "not done" to others. I'm concentrating on the main public spaces first and I'm going to make a couple of threads to try and simplify things. Here is our dining room

From foyer

Looking towards kitchen. We have the antique sideboard on the left. Does it need to have "stuff" on it?

Looking from the kitchen We have built ins around the windows, so not a lot of room left for pictures.

Here are the two (possibly three) pictures I was planning on hanging in this room

Will these work? What else should I be doing? Do I need a window treatment? I'm rather window treatment adverse. Please work your magic!

Comments (17)

• teacats
    15 years ago

I love to have and see lighting options in every room -- so I think you should put a lamp -- in the same kind of style as your chandelier -- on your sideboard. It is really nice -- even when you are not using that particular room -- to have it on (yes -- there are energy efficient bulbs LOL!) Place the new lamp on the left-hand side of the buffet.

Do you have or like a brand of china or pottery? Always nice to see someone's "treasures" around a room? Maybe place a pottery teapot and two mugs on the right-hand side of the buffet? Or just a pottery bowl?

A beautiful wood or ceramic bowl of any shape (( check with the wonderful crafters on Etsy.com or Ebay)) would be just the right touch for the table. You could fill it with pinecones for the cooler season. OR how about a handmade woven runner for cooler months? ((again check with crafters))

As for the long wall -- I'd like to see just one piece of art there -- perhaps the stained glass one? Or look for a larger single piece -- a bit more rectanglar to visually balance the space.

I'm not the best one here to discuss window treatments -- but perhaps basic bamboo blinds might work in color and texture?

Just some thoughts -- hope this helps!

Jan

• User
    15 years ago

A piece or two of Ephraim Faience Pottery would be stunning in this room!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pottery

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

Jaymie, I just had to comment...seems our 6 degrees of separation continue. I'm orginally from Dubuque...your stain glass print caught my eye! ;c)

I think I would try to find a large piece of art for that big wall myself. Use one of the smaller pics above the sideboard and add some greenery somewhere, a few vases or candles??

I'm also not good with window treatments. I think your door looks pretty without though.

Lindy

• jaymielo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

teacats, I love the idea of a small lamp on the sideboard. I have lots of "treasures" buried in my corner cabinets. I'll have to search through them.

auntjen, Again, I adore that pottery! It may be added to my Xmas wish list.

lindy, I remember that you were originally from Dbq. I was wondering if you would notice that. Like I said, artwork dummy. I gravitate to historical things from our families past.

Do you think I could use a pic above the sideboard, or would it be too high, compete with the mirror? I wasn't sure.

For now, I dug out an old bowl I like and threw some fake apples in it. I know, it is probably awful... I'll have to go shopping SOON!

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

Oh, you have some lovely bones to work with. I'd like to see some more textures in this room. A few suggestions:

a rug for under the dining table.

a runner for over the table with something along the lines of your bowl of fruit on the table.

I love the idea of a bamboo shade or very simple valance draped across the top.

I agree a single larger piece of artwork instead of multiple smaller pieces.

A plant or two.

• osuladybug
    15 years ago

Ohhhhhhhhh! I love your dining room too, I just posted on your livingroom thread. The furniture is gorgeous...I think I should have an arts and crafts house...I love it!!! Do what the others tell you and that will dress it up a bit, but don't over do....it is beautiful. I love the pottery that was suggested!!

• jakabedy
    15 years ago

Hey, not fair! Two great rooms! I came over from the LR thread as well.

I think with the high ceilings, you can put a piece of art (maybe your city engraving) over the sideboard. And for the wall behind the long side of the table, how about a plate rack? There is an awesome one on ebay right now. On either side of that, some iron candle sconces.

(Can you tell I still don't have the A&C quite out of my system even after a year in my rockin' glass box?)

Here is a link that might be useful: A&C Plate Rack

• mpwdmom
    15 years ago

Nice room. Can you move your sideboard over a few inches so it's centered bewteen your kitchen door and the wall?

When something is shoved in the corner it says to me that there is a lack of space. You won't gain any space by moving it but it will be more pleasing to the eye I think. And I think the idea of a lamp on it would be fantastic.

Susan

• jaymielo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mpwdmom, THANK YOU! Great eye! I was able to center the sideboard and I think it looks so much better. Still looking for a lamp, but that is at the top of my list!

jakabedy, Fabulous plate rack! I'm "watching" it. Also, thank you so much for the hint about the "McCoy" pottery. Using that as a search term, I was able to find quite a few reasonably priced beautiful pieces. I'd like a bowl for the dining room and a vase for the living room.

Here is where I'm at right now, with what I have in the house today. The picture will probably move when I find a replacement. On my shopping list is a larger picture or the plate rack, a small tiffany lamp and possibly a rug.

Thank you, thank you, thank you magical decorating miracle workers!

• User
    15 years ago

Jaymielo, this looks so familiar to me! Can you tell me what/where it is?

• jaymielo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

auntjen, Gladly! It is the First Congregational Church in Dubuque Iowa. As I said, I am art challenged. We were married in this church, so we thought it would be nice to hang a print, plus the orange in the picture coplemented the paint in the dining room so well. Too bad it didn't end up there! ;-) Oh well, it will pull the orange from the dining room into the living room.

• Ideefixe
    15 years ago

I'm glad you centered the sideboard on the wall. The other thing I'd do is swap out all those white switches and outlets, but that's a pet peeve of mine.

Love the color, love the wood, agree that you would benefit from more texture. Handwoven linen or hopsacking might be a nice choice for curtains, Roman blinds or a table runner. There's some great Arts and Crafts choices around.

Here is a link that might be useful: Arts and Crafts

• mpwdmom
    15 years ago

You're welcome jaymielo! Now that you've moved it I think it gets the attention it deserves. :)

Susan

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

I know you just hung the picture on the large wall (opposite your foyer), but before I'd scrolled down and saw that my mind went to a big, horizontal mirror. First, I'm a sucker for a mirror in a dining room (and yes, I saw you have one attached to the top of your buffet), but I really love the idea of a large one in a great wood frame hung on that wall to reflect the light back during your tapas (and other) party!

In addition to the lamp on the buffet, I think you could also hang a large piece (art) above it as well.

Keep in mind, jaymielo, I love art on walls, so I'm pretty prejudiced that way.

But I adore the color of your walls! It is beautiful in the daylight photos you shared and is going to be even more scrumptious at night .... What a great job you've done!

• amysrq
    15 years ago

I am also glad you moved the sideboard! Funny how small things make a difference.

I agree that a rug would be nice. I googled Craftsman rug and there is a lot out there, at a variety of prices. I have found rugs very difficult to buy online. The colors never seem accurate -- usually duller IRL. I think the New Castle Marigold by Company C is very sweet, but maybe it's too casual for you. The colors might work though. Tough to tell.

I am not loving the stained glass piece on the wall. Somehow, I just want to see something lighter and brighter there, with more contrast to the wall color. White mats would look to me, to go with the woodwork. And three of something, hung in a row. Maybe woodcuts or Japanese blockprints or something....clean and simple, just like your style!

Would you consider painting the inside of the built-ins? Or maybe lining the backs with an interesting, heavy weight paper to bring some light and interest there? You could use some 3M removable adhesive squares and play with some craftsman style papers. Or just a solid color. I have a dark Chippendale style glass front bookcase I plan to line with some Italian marbleized paper, just because it seems so dark to me. If I were to paint your cabs, I would go with a pale creamy gold pulled from the light fixture.

The way the light is streaming into the room in the first pics makes me think that something glass and sparkly would look nice there. Do you use this DR? Would a big glass bowl be a PITA at mealtimes? Something along the lines of the glass bowls with apples, only bigger. I'd put a few pieces of McCoy on the sideboard.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's an idea for the table...

• Flowerchild
    15 years ago

Now Jaymie...you cannot possibly be decor challenged with the wonderful job you have done on your new home build,,,,
    It looks very nice just needs a little texture as others have said. A colorful rug would do that beautifully. Don't be so hard on yourself. this is the FUN part enjoy.
    KW

• jaymielo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

rmkitchen I love the idea of a mirror. As I said, the picture is temporary since I'm having people over on Friday. I'll be on the prowl for everything suggested here.

amysrq, I'm actually intending to install low vol in the built ins. They are wired for it, I just haven't gotten that far, but hopefully that will help since my china and crystal is stored there. The dining room is used everyday right now, but probably won't be for long. We have a new table on order for our kitchen, which has a much better view, so I assume most nights, we will eat there instead, which makes me kinda sad, but...

flowerchild, Thank you. Maybe just accessorizing challenged? I definitely lean towards a minimalist finish. I just don't want it to look "not done" in the end. And I am enjoying it! Every night, it begins to feel a little bit more like our home. Hanging the art today made a huge difference!