Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nhb22

Anyone have a newer home with gas cooktop?

nhb22
13 years ago

Most of y'all know my kitchen seen below. We are thinking of switching from electric, to a gas cooktop. In my previous home, my gas cooktop prevented me from having any drawers in the below cabinet. In my new kitchen, I have wonderful sliding drawers that go all the way up to the cooktop. I especially love the shallow top drawer for holding cooking utensils and oven mitts. Would I have to sacrifice the drawers for a gas line? I was hoping that some new streamlining of the gas line has come along. If it makes any difference, my previous cooktop sat on an island, while the new configuration is against the wall.

Thank you!

Comments (28)

• avesmor
    13 years ago

Me me me!

We closed on a new construction at the start of the month, and have a 36" gas cooktop. You may have to sacrifice the top/smaller drawer, depending on the cooktop you choose -- or you may have to sacrifice some of its depth. (Based on my conversations/planning/"what ifs" with cabinet shop).

My setup is very similar to what you have. My bottom two drawers are mounted on full extension heavy-duty glides. I did have to sacrifice my original plan for the functioning top drawer (was going to use it for spices) because of the drop of the gas line feed to the cooktop.

• lindac
    13 years ago

I wouldn't have anything but a gas cook top. My house is old but the kitchen addition where the cook top is new.
    You will need space for the gas line and the connector....you can have someone remove part of the interior of that drawer...leaving the front the same...but when you open it you only see maybe 3/4 of the drawer.
    I have a shallow drawer under my cook top about 3/4 of the width of the cook top...and the rest of the space is a solid panel with the switch for the light and the vent fan on it.
    Linda C

• nhb22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

avesmor and lindac - Do you think because my drawer base extends out about 6" from the wall, that I might have enough room for the gas line and connector without having to cut into the top drawer?

avesmor - My two lower drawers are also on the full extension heavy-duty glides so that those drawers will support pots and pans. The top drawer is also extended. Wonderful idea to keep spices in that drawer! I might switch my spices to the drawer under the cook-top and place the utensils in the drawer one over where I have junk that I could easily relocate. :) Thanks for the idea!

• andee_gw
    13 years ago

I was lucky when I converted. There was enough space to run the gas line (flexible, not very large) behind the drawers. There is a bit of depth I lost in the drawer, but not much. Really, I think it is minimal compared to what you will gain with gas.

• annzgw
    13 years ago

It will depend on the cooktop you choose. We installed DS's and the depth of it prevented any small drawers near the top. We did, however, install a warming drawer under it and below that a drawer for pot/pans.

• avesmor
    13 years ago

The manufacturer's specs for the cooktop you're looking at should state a minimum clearance between the buttom of the cooktop and closest surface.

I could have gone with a 4" deep top drawer, but I opted out. I didn't think 4x36 would store much other than a roll of wrapping paper. :)

I wanted the Kitchenaid cooktop so that limited me a bit. I think it has one of the deeper installations. I've heard, or read somewhere, that Gaggenau offers a shallower one but I can't remember if that was on a gas or elec.

Let me look under my cooktop when I get home. There may be some areas that require deeper clearance than others. Maybe you could do a notched drawer or something. So far I don't miss that top drawer, but only time will tell. i really wanted it. :P

• nhb22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you! Based on what y'all have said, and looking at my drawer base, I think I will be fine.

I opened the top drawer and used a flash light to view the back of the cabinet. Curiously, the cabinet installer cut a good size hole in the back upper left side of the cabinet, near where the electrical outlet is in the wall. The electric cord for my cook-top does not even go through this hole! Instead, the cord runs from the right back corner of the cook-top, directly over the top lip of the cabinet back, and over to that outlet on the left. I saw no reason for the hole, unless the installer assumed we were having a gas cook-top and would need this hole. The hole is weird in that it is large on one side (like being sized for a box of some type) and then a jagged cut around one of the drawer support glide. The glide is being held up by a small piece of flimsy wood panel. Very fragile looking. I am surprised that the drawer has not broken. I am a little upset with what I found, and of course the installer and cabinet supplier is long gone.

Don't know if you can make it out in the below photos, but I posted one of the hole (outlined in red). I can see through the hole and there is about 4" from back of cabinet base to the wall. And about 2 inches from the back of cabinet base to the back of the drawers, so I think I have plenty of clearance for a gas line. ;)

I also posted a photo of the drawer opened, and a side view for you to see the depth of the drawer. While the drawer facing is of normal size, the inside "tray" is only 2.6" tall. I also showed a photo of the open drawer and you can see where the cook-top bottom ends, and the tray begins. There is about a 2" clearance.

So, all I need now are recommendations for a good, reasonably priced gas cook-top??? After that, I can go check them out in person and research to see if I have enough room.

Upper Drawer
    {{gwi:1464138}}

Distance between cook-top bottom and drawer (you can just make out the hole, the wall and the tip of the electrical box, in the back left corner of cabinet)
    {{!gwi}}

Back of cabinet as seen through upper drawer opening
    {{!gwi}}

Side of drawer. See difference in tray height and front of drawer
    {{gwi:1464139}}

• lynninnewmexico
    13 years ago

When we had our complete kitchen remodel done three years ago this month, my biggest priority was having the refrigerator and gas cooktop areas relocated. My new Dacor gas cook top was a no-brainer for me, because it had everything I was looking for: (1)continuous grates, for ease in moving pots and pans around; (2) grates that were substantial, but not obscenely heavy like many I'd tried, and (3) closed pans for easy cleaning.
    {{!gwi}}

We used a drawer stack similar to yours, with the shallow top drawer, and it worked wonderfully. I do have to add, though, that my GC needed to cut a 3"x3"notch in the top back edge of my second drawer to accommodate part of the hook-up, but it 's not obvious and doesn't affect what I use the drawer for, which is pots & lids.
    {{!gwi}}
    Personally, I LOVE my shallow top drawer as it allows me to keep the utensils and hot pads that I use at the cooktop, right there where I need them. The other two drawers are deep ones and hold my pots & pads.
    Here's a pic of that shallow top drawer:
    {{!gwi}}

It's been three years and I still am very happy with my cooktop and the drawer stack we went with.
    Lynn

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

I'm in a new home and have 2 electric ovens (first time for me to have electric and I love them). I have a gas top range (I have always used gas ranges) and have the fake drawer front and then double cabinets beneath. It works fine for me, but I do have a lot of other drawer and cabinet space, so I am not impacted by not having a drawer under the stove. Interesting designs on those of you who do have the top drawer though...very cool!!!

• nhb22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lynn - We must be twins...our drawers look alike. :)

I have heard of the Dacor, and like the looks of yours. However, i am afraid the price will be too high.

vampiressrn - That's the same set up that I had previously. Like you, I had plenty of cabinet space in the other house. The current house has plenty as well, but I have gotten use to spreading my things out, and I don't want to lose the pots and pans storage I now have. I have another nearly identical set-up across the kitchen. The only difference is that the top drawer is full depth.

• juddgirl2
    13 years ago

I have a gas cooktop and 2 full drawers underneath where I keep all my cooking utensils. I also have 2 deep cabinets so the gas line must be behind these.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Do you have a glass GAS cooktop? What is the brand?

• juddgirl2
    13 years ago

My cooktop isn't glass. It's a black 4-burner and I think it's a Kitchen Aid like all of my other kitchen appliances.

• msgreatdeals
    13 years ago

I remodeled last year and moved my gas line across the room. My plumber used a flex line in the cabinets, along the wall. I have a 30" KA 5-burner and have been very happy with it. My top drawer had to be modified in the back on the right, due to the electric outlet (about a 3"x 3" cut out) Flex gas line is the way to go! Looks a little like a hose!

• nhb22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

juddgirl2 - LOL, I misread your first post. Thought you said glass. I couldn't figure that out.

OK, look at KA. Use flexible hose. Currently have the flexible hose coming into the house for propane.:) Getting rid of propane and getting gas. :)

• juddgirl2
    13 years ago

lol - I was wondering if I had missed something and you were only asking about glass cooktops!

I just looked and I also have a flexible hose running down behind my cabinets.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I really should start wearing my reading glasses at the computer.

• miaochi
    13 years ago

It is better to separate your cabinet in your wall, as you said that it was against by the configuration. To avoid accident wear off from any dangerous materials. Gas is dangerous so aware of it to be happened.

Here is a link that might be useful: craftmatic

• nhb22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

??? Didn't understand your post, and the link seems to be SPAM. Please accept my apologies if I am wrong. ;)

• avesmor
    13 years ago

I think we have flex hose for the gas, too. It's really bright yellow. I seem to remember it being snaked under a countertop brace before they drywalled.

We won't have tv, internet or phone (tv and phone I can live without, but I need at least 1 of 3!) until late October (u-verse has crazy backup for installation!) so I can't easily post pics in the evening, but I can take some and try and get them uploaded if it would help.

BTW, I have the KA 36" (KFGS366VSS) and I am LOVING it so far! I grew up with gas, then built our first home with elec. I missed my gas!

• nhb22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh you poor thing! What are you using to post,,,cell phone?

No need to knock yourself out with posting photos. I'll take a look at your cooktop.

Post those photos of your new home when you get connected. ;)

• nhb22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Went to the appliance store over the weekend and I think we are going to go with the Viking. Didn't like the finish on the Monogram. We will have to have a bit of granite shaved off the sides, but found out that we would have to do the same for both the newer GE models. They are all 1/2 inch wider than our cut-out space.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wanted to show off my new gas cooktop. It really "makes" the kitchen! We went with the Viking. Had to have 1/2 inch shaved off of each end of the granite. What a mess! However, I did not lose any drawer space. the gas installer was great! We also have new gas logs.

• To Bro
    13 years ago

Totally off the topic but could you tell me where you got the rug in your kitchen. I am looking for a new rug with less red in it and more browns/taupes (compared to what I currently have) and this looks like something that may work for me. Thanks!

• nhb22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry! I have had the rug, and a larger one for years. I got them in a store in Asheville, NC, but could not tell you where.

Here is a larger rug in the same line (from another house.) They are a Wilton's Legend Collection and are burgundy, tan/gold and white on a green background. No brown.

• Boopadaboo
    13 years ago

Lovely. I have cooktop envy. :) One of these days we will replace ours!

• User
    13 years ago

I'm curious about the mirror you have behind the cooktop. I have never seen a mirror like that placed there before. Is it difficult to keep clean?

• nhb22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Not at all! In fact, I rarely have anything splash up on it. I love the mirror there and get many compliments. When we had the granite work done, I had to take it down and really missed it for the few days it was down. It's great for the "out the door" lipstick checks. :)