Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rgps

Impending domestic dispute over Hoosier cabinet

rgps
9 years ago

Pal posted a butlers pantry that stirred up a heated debate in my otherwise blissful marriage. This wonderful old 1911 Hoosier cabinet has been banned to storage down the hill. I think it is perfect in the whorehouse as the pantry. Stupid DH would rather see some spanking new totally functional schlock from ikea there. My carpenters who are working on the area under discussion as we speak refuse to get in the middle of the debate but I can tell they are on my side. What to do. I must act quickly to prevail.

Guess which room you all will be helping me redo next summer. The 1980's peach has to go.

This post was edited by rgps on Wed, Sep 10, 14 at 11:33

Comments (39)

• rgps
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the proposed location for disputed cabinet. It would be on the wall on the right where all that messy cabinet stuff is.

• rgps
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The wall now where the pantry will be. The wall will be pushed out shortly.

This post was edited by rgps on Wed, Sep 10, 14 at 11:42

• User
    9 years ago

Suffering from cabinet envy. Wish it was mine.

Don't be too quick to get rid of your peach paint!

Here is a link that might be useful: Colors

This post was edited by lov_mkitchen on Wed, Sep 10, 14 at 11:46

• rgps
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Next you'll make me put back up the ceiling boarder wallpaper aka 1981.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I don't care where it goes or how you do it or who you have to trample to get it done. The hoosier wins.

• rgps
    Original Author
    9 years ago

DH insists I disclose it is a wee bit rickety and underneath the oriental rug the counter is 1961 Formica white with gold speckles and veins. You remember that look don't you. Granny had some issues in the taste department.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Umâ¦I don't care for either idea. Ikea, in that amazing cabin? I don't think so.

but the hoosier - nope.

I'd browse CL and antique shops for a used one. For instance, this is for sale on CL in NE/RI.

• bloodmoon
    9 years ago

Make it a book cabinet in another room, and make peace. Design somethingvery cool and unique together. Then it is a win-win.

• User
    9 years ago

Ahh, but there's still enough to work with that that cabinet would be front and center in my house. Possibly white gloss paint with a black edge trim? And really, the formica might not be that bad. Not a lot different than an old house with that same formica on the counters. Few houses were preserved in exactly the same décor/design as when they were built. I don't remember how old your house is but I could get away with that in my 140 year old house. And, believe it or not, those porcelain tops are still "Out There" in salvage shops and junk stores. It's surprising how many people don't know what they are.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

Please, please don't let that go! I gave up my vintage Hoosier (not as old as yours) and I have always regretted it. So what if it's "rickety"; fix it up. You can always paint or replace that formica, but I'm not sure I would unless it's a later addition to the original. Fight over the location if you must, but keep that beauty!

• caroline94535
    9 years ago

1911 Hoosier cabinets are very hard to find. Husbands, on the other hand...

Just joking.

Sorta.

Stand up for womankind. Win the Hoosier debate.

• rgps
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I understand your sentiments tibbrix but if I bought another old anything divorce would ensue. And I'd rather leave it in storage than paint it. That way the next generation could fight about it. One thing about having your own zircon on premises is you don't HAVE to get rid of the old family treasures. DH family came over on the boat form Norway in 1911 so maybe I'll have to work in some Viking ( not the football team) riffraff here and there to keep him happy.

By the way, can you believe what DH put in its place in the peach room. Oh the horrors I am forced to live with. The fun of living in a construction site for 3 years.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

That particular Hoosier cabinet does nothing for me. Let it go :)

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

Obviously the hooiser has to stay. Those carpenters should be able to shore it up!

I like the idea of it in a drywall nook, something less peachy but like where this giant sun is nestled.

There must be a color of formica you could use to fit your theme! Or painting just the formica might be an option? Maybe taking it to a shop to be powdercoated?

• rgps
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Errant, are you referring to the 1911 Hoosier or the 2008 big screen Hoosier having to go?

Or both?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

High-fives Errant.

• eandhl
    9 years ago

I am with Mtn. on this one except I don't trample. This is a case where I would dig in my heels, cross my arms and not budge! I am sure someone could make it sturdy and if the top is awful I would replace it. Marble or granite. I would look for a remnant.

• rgps
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay errant and tibbrix, have you ever heard the song " Every Party Has Its Pooper ,That's Why We Invited You.".? It was written for you two and my HD.

Well, you are uninvited to my party as of now.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

Those Norwegians are a stubborn bunch, but I'd be making a man cave somewhere - maybe in the storage room! - and move that godawful TV over there. Don't give up the Hoosier!

• peony4
    9 years ago

It's maddening how stubborn the Norwegians are. I married one, too, so you have my empathy. But remind DH that Norwegians are frugal savers... he's going against his own heritage letting this go and replacing it with new. Tsk, tsk. Shame on him.

I'd keep it. Ask your carpenters to shore up any rickety parts--they can do that.

1961 Formica? That's nothing. A marble scrap from the stone yard could replace it in a heartbeat.

• powermuffin
    9 years ago

Sorry, but I wouldn't fight over that Hoosier either and usually I love them.
    Diane

• rgps
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm sooooo confused, so here's what we're going to do.
    The Hoosier haters get in one corner and the elephant haters get in another corner and let's rumble. The the winner can duke it out with whoever wins the chenille wars over on mtn's sea captain home thread.

Meanwhile y'all I'm taking a nap.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

The Captain and Chenille hah?

• violetwest
    9 years ago

Nice cabinet, and it surely should go somewhere, but . . . It doesn't look very functional to me as an actual pantry.

If this is something you are going to use a lot, and plan to store a lot of stuff in it . . . perhaps it's not the best choice.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Welcomes powermuffin to the party-poopers' party.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Wed, Sep 10, 14 at 16:27

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Safety in numbers! We can crash this party if we want to :p

• Olychick
    9 years ago

good one holly-kay!

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Call me a pooper if you like, but I don't care that much for the hoosier either.

• User
    9 years ago

The Captain and Chenille hah?
    A reference to Daryl Dragon and Toni Tennille, aka Captain & Tennille? or am I missing something new?

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Now all we need is a muskrat!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

A muskratâ¦in polyester pants.

• 1929Spanish
    9 years ago

I suggest having the conversation again just as you are getting out of the shower. You can win the argument with the right strategy so change his "perspective" on the matter.....show him how happy it makes you.

(And that cabinet isn't that bad either.....wink, wink)

Edit: okay.... just re-read that and it turned out really dirty. I didn't mean for it to be so dirty, so I made it less so. But I kept the winks!

This post was edited by 1929Spanish on Wed, Sep 10, 14 at 18:46

• lucillle
    9 years ago

You can have both, you may have to wait for the Hoosier to be right where you want it, it might have to hide out for a while.
    I agree with 1929 Spanish, it's all perspective.
    He is your partner in life, take time to use persuasion.

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

I'd surely keep it and use it. Maybe not in the kitchen tho. How about for desk type things? Those little drawers would be good for pens/pencils/markers, paperclips etc, stamps/labels etc. A lower area maybe computer paper/writing paper/cards. Special books at the top.

a piece of marble or soapstone can be put on the center top area. A good woodworker can stabilize it and fix the lower door (?). Don't think my eyes are seeing that area clearly.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

Did you have a nice nap or are you in a coma?

• peegee
    9 years ago

I'm always late to the party, but I vote hoosier!

• rgps
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, dear friends, Elvis has left the building. The wall is framed in now and it just won't work but I gave it a try. The Viking is happy. Now I get to have my carpenter buddies build something that will be uber functional and hopefully beautiful. And grannies Hoosier stays in the zircon for now.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

Awwwwww....... (sniff)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

It's fate.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz