Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to get oil based paint out of hair...

Posted by otis_proamateur (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 23, 08 at 11:08

I've been painting our porch railings and the wind blew the whole front of my hair onto the wet paint. And it's the sticky gooey outdoor stuff that's as nasty to work with as roofing tar.

It's seriously the whole front, I'm facing a possible mullet hair situation if I have to cut the paint out. Anyone know of a way to get oil based paint out of hair. PLEASE.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to get oil based paint out of hair...

Call the manufacturer's customer service line - the number will be on the can. Every paint formula is different and what works perfectly for one may not be the best for another.

o

Peanut butter

o

Thanks a friend just suggested olive oil. If that doesn't work it's on to peanut butter. Thanks again.

o

I once tripped going up the stairs with a can of polyeurathane in my hands and it splashed onto my face and hair. My hair was as hard as a rock. I used baby oil to get it out. It took a few baby oil washings, but it came out. Then it took a few shampoo washings to get the oil out.

o

Because it is an oil based paint, you have to use oil to get it out. That's why people are suggesting things like olive oil and peanut butter. It may be easier to apply something like vaseline that won't drip, but plain vegetable oil will work too if you don't want to waste good olive oil or peanut butter. Good luck!

o

Okay, this is gross. but I once splatted oil based paint all over me. Dh has me use diesel fuel. I don't know that I'd want to put it in my hair, thou.

Smiles:)

o

Can't tell you how many times I've done that! Oil paint is easy to get out - paint thinner would be my first choice, then turpentine. Then wash the heck out of it and condition like crazy. And if you color your hair, be prepared - it will strip a lot of the color out, too. I wouldn't waste my time using olive oil or peanut butter, I'd want it out - now.

o
Problem solved ;-)

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I used the olive oil and it took some scrubbing but sure enough, the paint started to slowly flake away. I'm paint free now!

But I've washed my hair twice and the oil is staying put. :::sigh::: I'm washing with Dawn dish soap next. Thanks again everyone, I was starting to panic for a sec.

Valzone5, polyeurathane?! Oh, what a mess. That had to be a nightmare!

o

Probably too late for you, but try putting shampoo on DRY hair, work in, then rinse clean

o
RE: How to get baby oil

Sorry...Meant to say to after you get the paint out, to remove the baby/olive oil try putting shampoo on DRY hair, work in, then rinse

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here