Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Engineered wood floors and Stanley Steamer?

Oakley
9 years ago

Our houseguests should be gone in a month and I decided that deep cleaning the enigneered wood floor by myself is just too much for me to take on.

I saw on SS's website that they now do hardwood floors, but engineered wood floors weren't mentioned.

I'll call them soon but I was wondering if any of you have used SS or another professional floor service for your engineered wood?

I want the works done! lol

Comments (14)

• User
    9 years ago

Steam should NEVER be used on any wood. It can damage it, and it WILL void the warranty. Use the cleaner that you manufacturer recommends, and sparingly at that.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I agree about steam. I need to read further on it but I didn't think they used that for the floor. If they do then I definitely won't have it done.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's the link to their wood floor cleaning. At the bottom of the page read the first FAQ, and they explain what they use. Doesn't look like they use steam.

Here is a link that might be useful: SS wood floors

• User
    9 years ago

Sounds like BS to me. The whole spiel. ''Proprietary'' cleaning solution? And it's a liquid that can be sucked up? Nop. Keep it away from wood.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The reviews I've been reading are old, 2011-12, but they're not too great either. It seems like they take the top coat off, clean, and put poly on it.

Aint gonna do it. :)

So are there professional floor cleaners out there who specialize in wood floors?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I use my Haan electric steam mop on my wide pine floors and I love it. The only pine floor that gets steam mopped frequently is the master bathroom floor. I make sure the mop is on the provided pad for warming up and cooling down, is fully heated before I start moving it on the wood floor, and is ALWAYS moving when it's in contact with the floor.

I've had absolutely not issues whatsoever, and I love the mop.

Last week I put three coats of Waterlox on that same bathroom floor (it is GORGEOUS!!!!). Prior to that, it was sealed with turpentine and tung oil.

Presumably your floors are sealed, so it isn't even the wood any cleanser or steam would be touching.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tib, I won't chance it. Every major wood floor company tells us not to use steam on the floors. I'm glad it works for you, but I just can't take the risk.

I know without a doubt the steam would take the sheen off the floor.

• yayagal
    9 years ago

My sister in law totally ruined her beautiful hardwood floors with repeated use of a steamer, the first few times they looked great but gradually lost their charm and turned grayish. I would never use steam.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

"Regular mopping just doesnâÂÂt reach the stubborn dirt that lies deep in the pores of your hardwood, but our cleaning process does."

I agree with Holly - that sentence alone sounds like BS. Sealed hardwood floors shouldn't need a deep cleaning. Not like the old days when I can remember my mom stripping and waxing the old kind of wood floors.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Exactly, Tina. If dirt is getting into the pores of your hardwood, then what it means is the seal has been worn down and the floors need to be resealed.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I thought the same thing when I read it. I need someone to thoroughly clean them, maybe with an industrial mop? lol. There's so much wood I can't do it myself.

Sometimes I have to mop it twice to make sure all the dirt's off. Then I colapse!

• edie_thiel
    9 years ago

Did you have the floors installed by a professional? If so, give them a call to get recommendations for someone to come and clean the floors. I'm guessing that you just want them thoroughly cleaned (even if that means with normal wood floor cleaner and a mop) but you don't have the energy to do it yourself. Someone is probably willing to do that service for hire. I've felt that way with grooming my dog... I usually do the grooming, but it takes time and energy. Every once in a while, it's just worth it to hire someone else to do it. :-)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Oakley, why not hire a house cleaner to do just that with the Bona?