Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dedtired

What's with the teal/aqua furniture?

dedtired
9 years ago

There are a bunch of online yard sales near me, mostly on Facebook. They all seem to feature older furniture that has been painted aqua. I just don't get it. The pieces are scuffed up to look vintage. They seem to be selling, so maybe it is the current style? Here's one that I think is particularly awful. It was probably a pretty old dresser before it was aquafied. To me, it looks like it has a sad face and the drawer pulls look like tears. Boo hoo. Are you seeing this trend,too?

Comments (15)

• Bunny
    9 years ago

That's been my summer toenail polish color for several years. I can't explain why I'm so drawn to it on my toes. I've noticed that a lot of toes are that color now, even on women who are otherwise quite prim.

• maddielee
    9 years ago

There are nicely done pieces of painted furniture and there aren't.

Looks (on my monitor) like the piece you are showing may have been painted in 2005, when the Pantone color of the year was Blue Turquoise.

ML

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

It's my favorite color. However, that dresser makes me sad. :-(

• powermuffin
    9 years ago

Teal/aqua is the sage green of 2014. It is everywhere.
    Diane

• texanjana
    9 years ago

I like the color, but agree that most of the painted furniture out there on places like Craigslist is very poorly done.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hmm, I thought gray was the new sage green.

I can't get too excited about teal furniture, especially if the piece could be refinished and look good, but to each his / her own.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Annie Sloan and her "Duck Egg" color.

• nancybee_2010
    9 years ago

I love that color !(not the sad dresser, though) I think I am drawn to it because it's the color of many public swimming pools- at least of my childhood. Maybe it was in general a popular color in the late 50's? Happy memories--

I think it was also a popular color in the early 90's.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay here is a hideous pink desk. I guess if this furniture was manufactured with the idea that it was supposed to be pink and funky, I could go for it. I just feel like the Early American style desk looks like a floozy in pink. I saw another piece that was painted silver and it looked like a robot.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

Oh we have got a couple of those people on my facebook group too! I am hoping that they will have used up their gallons of turquoise soon. I have seen some nice pieces that I would have liked and could use, but not after the horrible paint treatment and at the price they ask after ruining it. I would have to strip or repaint.

Oh wait, one of them has moved on to a violet and avocado combination. ????? Although the piece she did that to was ugly to begin with...

(Not that I don't have some painted pieces myself)

• missymoo12
    9 years ago

My under 25 DD wants to do this with her childhood furniture that's stored in the barn. Not turquoise but some other hideous bright something.
    Everyone wants to be a pinterest designer.
    I stripped four or five coats of paint off of my GGma's oak furniture (6 pieces) when I was 14 (my mom said I could redecorate my bedroom after my begging for 2 years) but I had to use furniture that was already in the house. This was 1972. It had white, a couple different, pink, and black.
    At least I learned a couple skills doing that!

• User
    9 years ago

Teal & aqua are truly my least favorite colors, but that dresser I think would look sad with any color paint the way it is. Color aside, furniture painted that way makes me cringe. Interestingly enough, I don't mind, and even like, some pieces with stained tops and painted bottoms.

I see a lot of older pieces done like that. Some pieces out there do look better with a (full) coat of paint, but the half and half looks like you never bothered to finish it.

I imagine at some point stained wood furniture will be the rage again and everyone will be racing to strip off the layers and layers of paint.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I must confess that back in the '60's I destroyed a perfectly nice maple dresser by painting it yellow.

I definitely have seen some pieces that were painted and looked good. I guess the really bright colors are just not for me. I love the look of wood.

• User
    9 years ago

I've passed on a few old pieces that I would have paid the asking price IF I wouldn't have had to strip them. Why ruin a perfectly good piece of wood furniture?

• rosesstink
    9 years ago

The color (might) be new but painting furniture isn't. My grandmother, back in the forties, got so sick of dark wood furniture that she painted just about every piece at our family camp in fairly bright colors. Good furniture, not cheap stuff. Oh, well. My dad and mom toned down the color scheme by painting them again. It was my generation who stripped back to wood.

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer