Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debrak2008

Decor ideas from Roycroft Inn

debrak2008
9 years ago

We enjoyed a wonderful dinner last night at the Roycroft Inn, East Aurora, NY. It is a National Historic Landmark and part of the original Roycroft campus.

We sat in the library and fell completely in love with the decor. The wallpaper was a pattern I had not seen before (so wish I could post a better pic) and reminded me of my own stenciled dining room. I never finished my dining room but am now inspired to do it.

Here is the only photo I could find of the room on line. Could not take my own photo.

The wall paper is a green background with goldish leaves. The curtains which you can't see at all are cafe (lowers only) on a brass rod. Light weight white fabric with green leaves. I didn't think I could "mix leaves". On the top of each window was a black roller shade. This really surprised me to see black but DH thought it looked good with the wood.

What do you think about roller shades in black? I have white vinyl windows where Roycroft has wood windows stained like all the woodwork. Would white be better for my room? What do you think of leaf print curtains? It was very subtle as DH didn't even notice there were leaves on the curtains. Probably should just stick with plain off white.

I know many of you already gave me advice on these windows and I'm going to re-read all of it. I'm just inspired now to actually do it!

Here is a link that might be useful: what window treatment...

Comments (16)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

It appears the Inn is in the style of Arts & Crafts. Google William Morris wallpaper and fabrics.

Black is often an accent color with the Arts & Crafts style.

This post was edited by beverly27 on Sun, Sep 14, 14 at 13:22

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

If it's all small leaves the wallcovering is probably Wm Morris "Willow" pattern. If it's leaves and flowers maybe it's "Marigold"

• debrak2008
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just leaves. Pretty sure its not willow. I've stared at willow a lot during my stencil search. I want to go back there and next time I will ask. Hopefully someone there will know. Actually maybe I will just call them.

I just loved being in the room and wanted to share. Hopefully I can get my dining room done soon.

• gardenamy
    9 years ago

Debrak2008 - The Roycraft Inn and Roycraft campus is one of my favorite places! Elbert Hubbard certainly had a vision for the Arts & Crafts movement and I consider myself very lucky to live close by. Call the Inn. They may help you or let you know who decorated the room. Alternatively ask in the gift shop. Some of them are extremely knowledgeable.

• debrak2008
    Original Author
    9 years ago

gardenamy, We live near the UB north campus. I love East Aurora and have been to the Elbert Hubbard museum. Want to go back to the campus for a tour. Ever been to the Darwin Martin house or Graycliff? Been to both but want to go back. Buffalo and the surrounding areas are filled with wonderful architecture.

• jmc01
    9 years ago

When Elbert Hubbard reached adulthood, he worked as a salesman at the Larkin Soap Company in Buffalo. One of the other senior men also working there was Darwin Martin. Darwin had a brother named William who had moved to Oak Park, IL. In Oak Park, William met Frank Lloyd Wright and Wright designed a home for him.

Based on the success of that home, William referred Wright to Darwin for his home. Because of the Darwin Martin connection, Wright designed the administrative building for the Larkin Soap Co. it's believed that Hubbard and Wright knew each other and it's most likely through the Larkin Soap connection.

Elbert evolved away from sales and founded the Roycroft Colony. Much of his philosophy was based on William Morris work in England. Both Hubbard and Morris were very anti - industrial revolution. Morris based a lot of his beliefs on the philosophy of John Ruskin. In later years, FL Wright referenced both Ruskin and Morris in at least one speech. Hubbard wrote a book called something like "Little Journeys to homes of Famous Artists" (not that title, but close) and he, too, also wrote about Ruskin. Connections abound!

I've been able to tour Ruskin's home Brantwood, Morris's home, the Roycroft Inn, William Martin's home, Darwin Martin's home, and Wright's Oak Park home, along with both Taliesin East and West. To me, there are strong similarities between all, yet each reflects the evolution of art and architecture in the broad Arts and Crafts world.

Hope this isn't too soap opera-ish, but when I put all this together a few years ago, I found the connections pretty interesting.

• debrak2008
    Original Author
    9 years ago

jmc01, I'm jealous. DH has talked about a trip to Chicago to check out the FLW places there.

I knew they both worked at Larkin but never put the connection together.

The Larkin Building was designed in 1904 by Frank Lloyd Wright and built in 1906 for the Larkin Soap Company of Buffalo, New York. The five story dark red brick building used pink tinted mortar and utilized steel frame construction. It was noted for many innovations, including air conditioning, stained glass windows, built-in desk furniture, and suspended toilet bowls. Though this was an office building, it still caught the essence of Frank Lloyd Wright's type of architecture. Sculptor Richard Bock provided ornamentation for the building.[1]

Located at 680 Seneca Street, the Larkin Building was demolished in 1950.

I invite everyone to come to the FLW gas station that is featured in the link below. Haven't been there yet but plan to go soon.

Here is a link that might be useful: flw gas station

• gardenamy
    9 years ago

Debrak2008 - Hello neighbor! I live south of the city in Derby, just down the street from Greycliff! Yes, I have been to the Darwin house and highly recommend both!

I work in the Larkin building as well. Elbert Hubbard was John Larkin's brother in law.

My grand parents and father all lived in East Auora, and we have some early Roycraft books and items.

Have to love the architecture in Buffalo! One of these days I want to do the weekend architecture tours. They sound great!

Make sure you post photos when you complete your windows.

• madeyna
    9 years ago

This thread cracks me up because I,ve done the same thing. I decided the decor on my last home based on a restraunt decore I fell in loved with. In that case it was very rustic country and I was happy with it for many years. I didn,t change it until I moved here.

• debrak2008
    Original Author
    9 years ago

gardenamy,

If you ever want a to do a tour together let me me know! (just email me). This summer we went to a grad party about 1 mile down from Graycliff. We were going to stop there first but the weather was iffy. I went to Graycliff a few years ago as part of a fast mini tour of places in Buffalo and the area. We only spent a short time at each stop. Pierce Arrow museum, bicycle museum, graycliff, and a chocolate shop in downtown. Graycliff was under major restoration at the time. I've been in the Larkin building and it is cool.

Every year I tell DH that I want to do a self guided walking tour of downtown. I have a map to follow but somehow we never do it.

Have you ever been to falling water? I would love to go there sometime.

Yes I will post photos if I ever get this finished. Now DH is telling me he wants to replace those windows. They need to be replaced and they will look the same so the window treatment choices would not be affected but he doesn't want to have to take down the blinds, put up new hardware and then take it down and back up again. I don't blame him but when will this be done. I fighting for before Christmas.

• gardenamy
    9 years ago

Debrak - Next time I hear of a nice tour I'll keep you in mind! Sounds great! Better replace those windows before the snow flies :)

• PeggyS12
    9 years ago

I am at the Roycroft Inn now and got a pretty good shot of the wallpaper but I don't know how to post a pic to the forum.

• PeggyS12
    9 years ago

I did it! Woo hoo!

• debrak2008
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow! That is so cool. Thank you for posting it. I put it in Pinterest.

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

It really does look like your stenciled DR!

• voila
    9 years ago

The wallpaper seems to be Larkspur.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Sponsored
Carl Williamson Designs, LLC
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Nationally Acclaimed Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz