Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Turquoise, yellow, and black color scheme?

Posted by may_flowers (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 2, 12 at 11:05

We have a small sitting area at the top of the stairs we'd like to redecorate. We are painting it and the adjacent open stairwell and hallway to the bedrooms BM #205, Simply Irresistible, which looks like French vanilla ice cream and a tad more yellow in bright light. We'll need curtains, a small end table and loveseat, a lamp, and artwork. There's also a bump-in on one wall that we'll turn into a desk area. We last decorated a room seven years ago, so I'm not sure what's current in color schemes.

I have a wall shelf in the sitting area that is painted deep turquoise where I display my great grandmother's handpainted china and some yellow and pink Depression glass pieces. This is the only area in the house where it looks good, so I plan to keep it here. It suddenly occurred to me to use the turquoise as part of the color scheme in curtains and/or loveseat. I love black as an accent and thought it might go good with turquoise and pale yellow, possibly in the lamp base or a black end table.

Is this a good color scheme? Will I be able to find ready-made curtains, loveseat, and accessories in these colors? How would you use these colors in the pieces we plan to buy?Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Turquoise, yellow, and black color scheme?

Here is a Google image search of rooms using yellow, turquoise, and black. I think I like it! I especially like the dining room on the right end of the top row.

Here is a link that might be useful: rooms using yellow, turquoise, and black

o

Here is another site that might give you ideas ...she also "shops" by color.
If you look on the right side of the page, you can link to the page with
products by color. I think it is updated daily.

http://www.houseofturquoise.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.houseofturquoise.com/

o

Thank you for the links! I was going to ask if red was an accent color, and both websites show pops of red. Of course, I'd need these shoes.

o

What immediately came to mind for me was white curtains with black ribbon trim 2 or 3 inches from the leading edge and 10" above the bottom. I love black and white with yellow, and with your turqoise cabinet, a pillow or two in a print on a white or pale yellow ground that uses some turquoise, a wee bit of pink, and a bit of black would be nice.

If you are up for some drama, slipcover your loveseat in a turquoise and white awning stripe. To save the scheme from too much sweetness, you might use a black iron or rustic wooden end table, and a heavy aged brass candlestick lamp.

I wouldn't add red - with the pink in the cabinet, I think that's enough colors.

o

Thank you for your ideas, bronwynsmom. I agree, I have to be careful that it doesn't end up too sweet. The display shelf, now that it's been rehung on the newly-painted wall, reads more teal than turquiose.

I hadn't thought of using pink, but I like pink. I pulled two pillows off my sofa that have an embroidered floral with shades of rose, red, green and gold on a cream background, and they look nice on the loveseat, which is a neutral sage with wine-colored piping. So I might work around that until we replace the loveseat.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here