Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stir_fryi

Backsplash for Pedestal sink

stir_fryi SE Mich
13 years ago

I posted this on bathrooms -- but hope to see pictures or hear ideas:

We put a pedestal sink (American Standard Ravenna) in our powder room six years ago. It has a little "lip" behind the faucet but still water is hitting the painted wall when I clean the sink or the kids wash their hands. It is beginning to damage the drywall.

I was thinking about tiling one row above the back of the sink -- sort of a backsplash. Is this ever done? I also thought it might dress up a somewhat boring sink.

Tried to find pics on line of this but can't find any.

Comments (7)

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

LOL probably not what you are looking for. Maybe a bit wild.
    Pictures #49 and 51.Blaming it on menopause. I have an excuse. Hehehehe

Yes tiles can be easily done. Use silicone to stick them on grout as usual. Don't worry about all the fussy mastic and all. Silicone works great on the vertical. I made these tiles but you can find really pretty ones at tile stores or even Home Depot or what ever kind of home improvement store you have close.

Just find some that go nicely with the over all look of your bath. There are some wonderful glass tiles.

Seal it well with Tile lab three days after grouting.

Chris

Here is a link that might be useful: Tile back splash.

• susanelewis
    13 years ago

I don't think that is an attractive look. Have you considered tiling the entire lower half of the walls in the room or use wainscoting painted in either alkyd or enamel latex.

I have included a link below of what you are talking about. To me it looks like they ran out of money or tile on the project...

Here is a link that might be useful:

• susanelewis
    13 years ago

BTW, my comment about "attractive look" was referring to my own picture with the tiles behind the pedestal. I had not even seen shade's post yet.

However, I do think her tiles above the other backsplash is not the same situation as applying them above a pedestal sink. Your pedestal sink has rounded sides. You could possibly get away with it if the pedestal was square or rectangular but on a rounded piece, I just can't see how it wouldn't look odd.

• hoosiergirl
    13 years ago

We have a pedestal sink in our powder room and have beadboard wainscot. I agree with Susanelewis, that the rounded edges of the sink don't work with a single row of tile. (Or at least I can't imagine it working.)

• superwoman.lisa
    9 years ago

I personally love the idea of a backsplash that extends from the floor to the bottom of the mirror. I've also seen some on Google that go from the floor to the ceiling. You can search Google Images for pedestal sink backsplash and see what other people have done, it might help give you ideas.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

I don't think a small backsplash behind the sink would look like a well thought out solution. However, if you can run the tile from the floor up to above the sink or to the ceiling, that would appear to have been a plan from the beginning.