Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newenglandsara2

pale purple for teen girl's bedroom?

newenglandsara2
9 years ago

Hi All,

I am under a time crunch to pick all of the colors in my house by the end of the weekend! :-) I might have a few posts. For now, I am trying to pick a pale purple for my teen daughter's bedroom, and I know that purples can be tricky. For now, I am looking at Ben Moore's African Violet, Beach Plum and Winter Gray. The latter feels a bit too gray, but I don't want the color to be "too much." Any tips? The trim will be pure white.

Thanks so much!

Sara

Comments (23)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

IMO, those are "little girl" purples. Since she's a teen, I'd go for something a little more grown-up/sophisticated, like BM After the Rain.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I like Winter Gray. I have a lavender guest room and my advice would be to go toward the blue, or violet, tones. The pink purples can look one step away from the 1980s dusty mauve.

This post was edited by may_flowers on Fri, Sep 5, 14 at 11:32

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Why not let her pick the one she likes? It's just paint - it can be redone if/when she doesn't like it, or when she moves out.

• theclose
    9 years ago

BM Slip is gorgeous, but tends towards gray. I found out about it here and my aunt painted her living room in Slip and it is stunning. Has an ethereal quality to it.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Agree w/Mamorella re: BM Slip. Beautiful color.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

BM slip hardly looks purple at all, at least on line.

Maybe something more heather like my mud room. I used BM tropical dusk

• theclose
    9 years ago

Annie, Slip is definitely purple but a very pale lavender shade. On the BM website they feature it in a "cozy purple girl's room". But if the OP's daughter wants a deep or more saturated purple like your laundry room, then no, not the color for her.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

bm slip

• newenglandsara2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great suggestions!! I have a question. Slip is an Affinity color. We are getting paint from a company (Safecoat) that is not Benjamin Moore. I know that the Affinity colors cost more and use a different process. Can another company match these colors?

Thanks so much!

Sara

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    9 years ago

Maybe. The Affinity collection isn't full spectrum, they're just 'regular' colors.

All brands like to say their colors can't be duplicated using other brand's bases/colorants.

The truth is with the new formulations of late, some brands have discovered colors they can no longer duplicate from their own collections. It's not so much about the brand as it is the color. Some colors are easy to 'copy' and some aren't. It all depends and you kinda don't know until you try.

If possible, invest in a quart in the color and sheen you want from the original brand. Use that to paint a sample for your brand of choice to use to color match; popular opinion is a satin finish is easiest to work with.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

All I know is, if I were a teen and mom promised to paint my room lavender and she painted it bm slip, I'd feel cheated...it is so barely lavender. At least bm violetta has a little more color to it.

Of course, IIRC, I painted my own bedroom from the time I was a young teen....

• louislinus
    9 years ago

What about BM Vintage Charm? It's darker but it's a great color.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

louislinus! I can't believe you mentioned Vintage Charm. I, of course, was going to, but I thought that ,if I did, there'd be a huge revolt here and I'd be thrown off the site forever!

I also didn't because she said she was looking for a pale purple, but Vintage Charm is so beautiful, and more grownup than the pales, IMO, so more appropriate for a teen.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

bm vintage charm

• sparklebread
    9 years ago

My daughter's bedroom is painted BM Slip. It does trend toward grey in the evening.

My daughter is now 10 and seems to be moving toward a stronger shade of lavender. I like Annie's BM Violetta and would consider that if we were to update and stay in the same color family.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

What other colors are in the room, e.g. bedding, rug, window treatments? What look is she trying to go for?

I'd look at bedrooms and pick an inspiration picture

• caroline94535
    9 years ago

Taken while still a work in progress.

My sewing room is painted "Lilac Vapor." It's a very soothing color.

The windows now have lovely fluted trim with rosettes in the corners; there's crown molding, lace curtains, and all things girly.

This post was edited by caroline on Sat, Sep 6, 14 at 13:41

• dretutz
    9 years ago

I used BM Sanctuary in the MB where there is lots of light. It is beautiful

Here is a link that might be useful: Benjamin Moore sanctuary

• louislinus
    9 years ago

Tibbrix I learned of vintage charm from you! Your plan for that color to take over the world is working.ÃÂ :)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

louislinusâ¦that and Van Courtland Blue!

and of course, Chocolate brown. No need for any other colors!

Lol.

• newenglandsara2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This was a terrific thread to follow: thank you! We tried a bunch of the colors (several suggested on here), and my daughter ended up liking Lilac Mist (Ben Moore) the best. It is slightly "sweeter" than I would pick, but I want the room to feel like home to her. If the color is too bright on the wall once it goes up, I now have a terrific list of "back up" colors to try.

Thank you, thank you!

Sara

• kendog2
    last year

I know this is a very old post. Does anyone know the name of the paint color in the third of the four photos posted by nosoccermom? I would love that slightly grayed lavender color for our daughter's room.