Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zipdee

Can I see your front door dressed for autumn

zipdee
15 years ago

This weekend I'm removing my leggy summer flowers and replacing them with fall flowers. I'm looking for ideas to 'dress' the front door and beside the front door. Love to see any pics you'd like to share of your outside autumn decor. :)

Comments (69)

• nhb22
    15 years ago

lacombe - Like your arrangement! To post directly to a thread, just click on the HTML Code next to your photo and it will automatically copy the link to your photo, so you just paste the link in a thread like below.

{{!gwi}}

caminnc - That's very pretty entrance. Post a photo if you do the same for your home. it's almost Christmasy.

• lacombe
    15 years ago

Hi newhomebuilder, thankyou for the tip, I'm new at this Photo bucket, I was wondering how the pictures stayed on the screen all the time.

• zipdee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Patty Cakes, I agree Newhomebuilder's little witch is adorable, I'm especially loving the second picture of her. She looks so sweet, my hooligan Basset Hounds wouldn't sit still for a picture, much less a witch hat! :)

Caminnc, very pretty! Love how they placed the little gilded pumpkins above the door in the transom!

Lacombe, love your flowers and festive fall wreath! Looks great, thanks so much for posting a picture!

So far I haven't gotten any farther than placing four very, very large pots of mums out. I'm still looking for a wreath or something to place on the door, I'd like to find some real or faux bittersweet. I also need something to add height next to the door, like maybe the pumpkin topiaries. Maybe this weekend I can get out to look around more, too much to do, too little time. *LOL*

• greenthumbfish
    15 years ago

Snapped this this morning on my way to work, thought y'all might enjoy ;-)

This is NOT my house:

• sarschlos_remodeler
    15 years ago

As much as I love the pumpkin topiaries and other pretty fall decor, I'm afraid that giant spider is more akin to what winds up in our front yard in October. I suppose I should be grateful that I only have to live with the blow up snow globe for December. :)

• TxMarti
    15 years ago

Y'all have inspired me. I dug out the bulbs from my planters and got ready for fall. You can't really tell in the pic, but the scarecrows are sitting on pumpkins.

{{!gwi}}

• southernheart
    15 years ago

Such pretty decorations, everyone!

Here are a few photos of our front door. Our porch is being redone in several weeks (new railing, etc), so I hope to be posting before and afters of that in the near future.

DH and I had fun putting together this arrangement...

and we found this slate, to the left of our door, at a local fall festival.

We use a lot of color in our entry decorations (all seasons) because our porch is shaded, and more muted arrangements and items can't be seen from the street.

This is a fun thread and I am looking forward to seeing more from everyone!

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

Southernheart, Please share where you got that gorgeous storm door! Love it!

• southernheart
    15 years ago

kmcg85, thank you! We bought that from Maclin Security Doors in Memphis, TN. It's a locally-owned company, and I've included the link below (my wireless has been acting up for months, so I'm having trouble getting their site to load...hope it works for you!). They designed a similar door first for my parents, and I think it may be in their regular style choices now.

There is also an older Memphis company, Pickle Ornamental Iron, that has been doing custom security doors for decades. I wish that they had a website, because they have gorgeous doors, gates, mailboxes, etc.

The nice thing about these doors is that when you lock them with the deadbolt key, there are steel pins on all sides of the door that also lock in place into the matching door frame, making it difficult-to-impossible for an intruder to remove. And the custom doors really are pretty.

My cousin in North Carolina ordered one from Pickle Iron in Memphis and had a local gentleman install it, as he had trouble finding someone locally who did this type of iron work. I think that they emailed photos of door styles to him, and he emailed his measurements back to them. He was very pleased with the door from Pickle, also. Iron doors seem to be more popular now, so you may have someone in your area who also does this type of work.

Thank you again!

Here is a link that might be useful: Maclin Security Doors in Memphis.

• greenthumbfish
    15 years ago

Great pics everyone and yep, love that storm door!

sarschlos_remodeler - I just got one of those fancy lawn and leaf bags in the shape of a huge spider, so I'm with you on that. I'll be decorating this weekend, so I'll post pics on Mon.

• nhb22
    15 years ago

marti8a - Cute!!!

Southernheart - That is a beautiful door and arrangement..

• citymomof3
    15 years ago

Still trying to decide if the pumpkin topiary looks dumb on the plant stand or not - doesn't look tall enough to me if it isn't tho!!!

• fussy_chicken
    15 years ago

Citymomof3, your autumn decor is very nice but I especially like the original artwork on your sidewalk. ;-)

• robbyrob
    15 years ago

Here's mine. I still want to add some mums once it gets a little cooler!

• denali2007
    15 years ago

Southern heart that is a stunning storm door! My DH is lobbying for a storm door and I have resisted because I don't care for the looks of them. That one I could handle.

• lacombe
    15 years ago

I love to decorate the front door area around the Fall and at Christmas time, I hope to see some pictures of some great decorated doors at Christmas time.

• nhb22
    15 years ago

robbyrob - Your topiaries look familiar. :) :) How are yours attached?

Where do you live that it is not cool enough for mums?

• TxMarti
    15 years ago

You know, since cleaning up my front porch & decorating, I feel better about my house. lol It's still a shambles inside the front door, but the outside now looks like civilized people might live here.

Oh & on the morning news today, someone was making pumpkin toparies like some of you have. I should have turned on the tv earlier, but just caught the last of it.

• mimi_2006
    15 years ago

My front door

• lacombe
    15 years ago

Hi newhomebuilder, I was looking through some blogs this morning, and I found a picture of your front entrance , she really liked the way you did your entrance for Fall,when you get onto the site go down about 3 quarters of the way, you'll see your picture and her write up.

Here is a link that might be useful: decorating front doors for Fall

• lacombe
    15 years ago

Hi ladies, here's a link for some Pumpkin Topiaries for the front entrance

Here is a link that might be useful: Pumpkin Topiaries

• nhb22
    15 years ago

That's really weird to see my photo and home on someones Blog. Now, I have saved a few inspiring photos from this board, but I would never post them somewhere else, without first asking for permission.

Should I tell the woman that those pumpkins are not real? :)

That's the second time that I have been told that my home was somewhere other than this board. My Christmas tree showed up on some sort of Seasonal board.

• lacombe
    15 years ago

Hi newhomebuilder, I would say that's a great complement to you, your a great decorater . It's up to you if you want to tell her that they're not real. I'm asking for your permission if I could please borrow your picture, I want to show some friends what you have done to your entrance. Another thing, I love your front doors, where did you get them? You can send me an email if you want. Thanks.

• nhb22
    15 years ago

LOL I was kidding about telling her the pumpkins were not real. Yes, you have my permission and thank you for asking. I am honored. :)

We ordered the doors through our builder, so I am not sure what brand they are. They were suppose to have beveled glass, but arrived plain and we were in a hurry to get moved in, so let it ride. Now I wish we hadn't. Anyway, I see the doors occasionally, so I don't think they will be hard to find. What 'made' our doors, is the great finish that our painter put on them.
    OK, I am going ahead and showing my Christmas, and throwing in spring as well.

• lacombe
    15 years ago

Hi,newhomebuilder, thankyou for letting me use your picture, I have a couple of cousins that are stumped, they don't know what to do for decorating for their front entrance, I'm going to send them your picture. I just love those doors, I really like the way you decorated for Christmas, do you have a wider shot of the other 2 wreaths in the pictures ,your lucky your door and entrance is protected from the rain and snow. I also like the way it looks for Spring time too, that bench is just the perfect size for that area. Thanks again.

• nhb22
    15 years ago

This is all I have.

{{!gwi}}

• lacombe
    15 years ago

Hi newhomebuilder.thankyou for posting the picture, it looks fantastic,that's a good picture of Riley too. Would you believe that's the same thing that I do with my bigger wreaths too, I put the wreaths over the lights too , if you take a look at my picture again, the Christmas wreaths hold still pretty good in the winds. I'll post pictures in December so you can see. Thanks again I appreciate it.

• newdawn1895
    15 years ago

Tomorrow I think I am going to The Pumpkin Patch and buy all sorts of pumpkins, white and orange and weird shaped squash. Lots of pansies and mums, I'm in the spirit.
    And I could eat me a turkey the size of Wyoming, with all the trimmings, yummy. I love fall!

• lynnster
    15 years ago

bump

• robbyrob
    15 years ago

newhomebuilder: My topiaries are made with faux pumpkins. I've used them for a couple of years now and they've held up well. I secure them with a wooden rod that goes up the middle. I actually leave the dirt in the urns from my summer plantings and it holds the wooden rod in well.

I live in Maryland. It's starting to get a little cooler out here but my summer flowers are all still doing well. I can't stand the thought of pulling them up yet to plant mums and ornamental cabbage. I'll probably do it in mid-October. Love your entrance...I remember seeing it last year. It's lovely.

southernheart and mimi I just love your arrangements on the front doors. I've always been fond of using those cone shaped wall pockets. Beautiful!!

• zipdee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Fantastic fall decorating everyone! Thanks so much for taking the time to share your pictures, I've really enjoyed looking at all of them!

• Lyban zone 4
    15 years ago

Here is my front of home with screen door open and closed....

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

Not finished, but here's a start:

• nhb22
    15 years ago

Very nice porches y'all!!!

"newhomebuilder: My topiaries are made with faux pumpkins. I've used them for a couple of years now and they've held up well. I secure them with a wooden rod that goes up the middle. I actually leave the dirt in the urns from my summer plantings and it holds the wooden rod in well.
    I live in Maryland. It's starting to get a little cooler out here but my summer flowers are all still doing well. I can't stand the thought of pulling them up yet to plant mums and ornamental cabbage. I'll probably do it in mid-October. Love your entrance...I remember seeing it last year. It's lovely. "

Mine are faux and I have a rod running through mine, too AND I use the existing pot dirt. :)

• sprice5105
    15 years ago

Here is mine. I do need another wreath but of course they don't make this one anymore so I will have to try to make one myself of just get two different ones. We just moved in so we still have lots to do!
    {{gwi:1504328}}

{{gwi:1504329}}

{{gwi:1504330}}

• lacombe
    15 years ago

Hi sprice5105, I really like the way you did the flowers and the pumpkins on the stairs, and beautiful landscaping. You have a front door style like newhomebuilder's front door.

• lacombe
    15 years ago

I found this picture the other day, very festive for Fall.

• lacombe
    15 years ago

I'll try again.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• lacombe
    15 years ago

I'll try again.

• blanche65
    15 years ago

mimi 2006, I just love your front door decorations. An excellent example of how to decorate that kind of door. Did you make them, or were you lucky enough to find them already made? I am wondering how you attach them to the door also.

• krisfl
    15 years ago

I love what everyone has done with their front doors! Here is mine...

• reno_fan
    15 years ago

My stupid entry way is 11x8, and has a two story sloped ceiling! It's like a small room, and it totally gives me fits because if I just decorate the door, the rest of the entry way looks positively bare by comparison. But, if I put too much stuff out there, it starts looking like a darn store-front. Also, the door is not centered (Oh, how I wish I had a cute entry way like posted above!), and the door is on the smaller side of the slope, so if the door is decorated, it looks very funny from afar, as the higher ceilings look so stark.

I finally gave up trying to decorate the door, and started trying to decorate the huge expanse of wall right next to the door. This was what I came up with this year (included, of course, is the ever-ubiquitous pumpkin topiary that my kids call a "Pumpkin Snowman".)

• reno_fan
    15 years ago

Forgot to mention, the small pumpkin with the star cutouts is actually a lamp! At night it we plug it in, and it lights up the entry-way.

• lacombe
    15 years ago

I think my brain was on vacation last night.This was the picture I was trying to get through. I saw in on the computer the other day.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• mimi_2006
    15 years ago

blanche65 - Thank you so much for the compliments on the doors. I bought them originally with some dried grasses already in them, stuck into some florist foam down in there. I've had them a year now and each season I've stuck in other types of things, like red berries at Christmas, yellow and white dried flowers in spring etc. This summer a bird actually built a nest in one so I didn't touch it! We watched as she sat on the 3 eggs, then the babies hatched and lived there on my front door until one day I was actually watching when they had flying lessons. Sooooo, a few weeks ago I took the nest out and had to remove a few of the dirtier twigs...lol. I just went to hobby lobby and bought a few more twigs and some gourds and pumpkins to stick in also. I think this summer I'll put something different up :-)

I attach them to the door (which is fiberglass) with the 3M Command small wire hooks. They've lasted a year so far and still holding tight. The bottom point has a small piece of the Bluestik adhesive putty like teachers use to attach things to walls. That just keeps the breeze from knocking it crooked and keeps it hanging nice and straight.

• mimi_2006
    15 years ago

Here's a pic of the bird in my door decor this summer as I talked about in the post above. You can see mama-bird sitting on the nest. It was amazing to watch until the eggs hatched and they all learned to fly. Everyone had to use the side door for a couple months!

• blanche65
    15 years ago

mimi2006, great story about the birds, and the photo is so cute! I can see that you have enjoyed your door decoration, using your creativity as well as being entertained by your little "tenants" (who seemed to have skipped out on the rent).

Thanks for sharing the information about the 3M hooks. I have some of those hooks here, and now have another use for them. I think I will also pick up some Bluestick adhesive also.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    15 years ago

I am just trying to get caught up on my pictures. I wanted to post, but couldn't. Here is our autumn wreath.

• susieq07
    15 years ago

My wreaths, I made for thanksgiving, got the big spoon & fork as a gift, could not use inside and T-day is feast day after all, so put them on a wreath, with grapes hanging on them, found actual thanksgiving wired ribbon, and have used these wreaths for quite a few yrs. never tire of them...
    {{!gwi}}

door color is the same one is open inward, so flash made color appear different it is not! more blue then green.

• lacombe
    15 years ago

I know it's a bit late for posting Fall pictures, I just had to get my Fall entrance picture in. {{!gwi}}