Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristen_hallock

Best type of rug for under kitchen table?

Kristen Hallock
12 years ago

What material is best for a rug that is under the kitchen table? We have 2 young kids, a black lab and a large cat. I'm looking for something that wont stain as much, and does ok with food and spills. Not sure I want a persion wool kind of rug because that doesnt seem very kitcheny to me - maybe a kilim kind of rug instead?

Comments (11)

• kristinekr
    12 years ago

I would not want a rug in my kitchen with my kids, dog, and 2 cats. It seems as though I am constantly scraping food, hair, and sometimes vommit from the tile. A rug would be a mess!

That said, we do have an oriental looking rug under our dining room table. It was inexpensive, bought at home goods and made of propolene. The kids often play on it and the cats are there all the time. Because its a dark brown with a busy patern, it hides a lot and has cleaned up well where there have been spills and pet accidents. But we don't eat there every day or there would be way more messes.

• rosesstink
    12 years ago

How about an indoor/outdoor rug? They won't stain and can be brought outside for hose cleaning. Check out Plow and Hearth - they have many designs.

• pps7
    12 years ago

None-LOL!

I have a seagrass rug under our table. It cleans up very well. I'm thinking of replacing it with an outdoor rug.

• cheerpeople
    12 years ago

the style is functional at our house on this topic.
    I have a cold kitchen floor and the same in the dining room which is part of the kitchen. We have castor chairs at the table and to roll up to the table, I put an office carpet in gray with the rubber backing which is easy to rollup on off without budging the rug. This is a busy house with 3 sloppy kids and it has seen plenty of abuse and shows nothing.
    In my cold kitchen I got a $10 indoor- outdoor carpet in gray from menards when they go on sale, and put it down with dbl stick tape. It covers all but about a foot around the edges. This room has a lot of traffic. The tape was a must.

The whole family appreciates it even the cats, and the only thing it shows is when my dtr dumped an entire lemon merienge pie upside down on it- and if I'd get my rug shampooer over to this house I'd have that gone. If not $10 and I have a new one!

• Sidney4
    12 years ago

I also have indoor outdoor carpet under my kitchen table and think it is great. There's a good selection at Home Decorators.com. and the prices are reasonable.

• kswl2
    12 years ago

The best rug for underneath the kitchen table is a faux one painted on the wood floor.

• work_in_progress_08
    12 years ago

I am with kswl if you feel you need something under the table. Having been a mom to a small child and a large yellow labrador, I know that the lab will get to any mess before you can get to the papertowels in your kitchen. lol

Seriously, I would reconsider using a rug, unless it is purely decorative and is painted on the floor.

• stolzie
    12 years ago

I would suggest one of the high traffic designs from Flor -- not very exepensive, look good in the kitchen, and hold up well. Another idea would be an indoor-outdoor rug from Mad Mats; they are actually recycled plastic, but don't look it. Those don't stain at all, and could be just hosed if outside if you needed to. Only downside is they are not terribly soft, but that is probably not a big concern under your kitchen table. Good luck!!

• busybee3
    12 years ago

we have a synthetic (polypropylene?)in our dining room---it is VERY dense and VERY, VERY, VERY stain resistant. it is a multi colored print, so fur, etc doesn't look very apparent...it's a very nice quality, and it looks nice. if i were getting another rug under our kitchen table, i would get same type!!

we had a rug under the kitchen table for years, and that's my preference, but we keep our dogs (one in particular) in the kitchen most of the time and eventually our one dog started to think it was ok to pee on the rug every now and then---couldn't tolerate that, so the rug went!!

• allison0704
    12 years ago

I have Soumak rugs in our home. They are great for spills and pets. The painter knocked over his drink (no, not sure why he had it on the floor) and was shocked at how it beaded on top and wiped right up.

Here is a link that might be useful: soumak rugs