Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

What to put on the greenhouse?

Oakley
10 years ago

My husband and son just finished the greenhouse. The doors still need to be put on, along with hooking up electricity.

Normally it would be fine as is, but driving up our dirt road (we live on a hill) you can really see it. We decided to put some kind of ornament on the roof but have no idea what.

He won't screw anything on the polycarbonate (sp) on the front side, so it will have to go on top.

A weathervane?

Comments (13)

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

Oakley, that greenhouse looks HUGE! What are the dimensions?
    Honestly, I have never seen a weather vane on a greenhouse, and I don't think you'd find one that would be in keeping with its size.

Does your home/farm(?) have a name? If you want to call attention to the greenhouse by putting something on top of it, would you consider a large sign running along the center of the roof line with the name of your home/farm on it?

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

Like this ?
    When you said greenhouse that was not what I was expecting..
    What will you be growing ?
    And for what village ?

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

I think that a cupola the size she'd need for a building that large wouldn't have the support it needs from the roof. This is an older pic of my house, and although the cupola may look small up in the roof, when it was on the ground, I couldn't get over how large it is. A small family could live in one the size she'd need. :-)

Note how the greenhouse in the pic above is much smaller and square? I think it would be VERY expensive to put something on that roof in a size that would be in proportion. If it was mine, I'd leave it as it is.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I didn't know those were called cupolas. I see them all the time on large metal barns. I notice they have vents on the side, wouldn't those let the heat out in the winter? We already have circulation for summer. And a mist system which is fun to sit in. lol.

My dh is an avid gardener and he plans on growing veggies in the winter and starting his own plants by seed. I want to use it to grow succulents and orchids.

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

OMG Oakley, that greenhouse is wonderful . . . And so is your view! I like the idea of a large wood sign of some sort. I have to show this to DH, as I have been dreaming of a greenhouse for years now, although on a smaller scale than yours. Please keep us posted with pics of the inside, type of plant stand/tables you're using, what you're planting, etc. I love it,

• andee_gw
    10 years ago

Maybe it should be what it is, without ornamentation. How about shrubbery around the perimeter to make it seem more "grounded"? Or maybe a flagpole and flags along side, but not on, the structure. I don't know why, but I keep envisioning a large windmill next to it.

• schoolhouse_gw
    10 years ago

I agree, maybe nothing on the roof. Perhaps at the peak of the roof above the door. What type doors are you planning to hang? Perhaps you could install some interesting vintage doors, not too fancy tho.

• chickadee2_gw
    10 years ago

I think the building is meant to be utilitarian and putting something decorative on it would look goofy.

Keep an eye on craig's list. I was able to get greenhouse benches or tables on there for $25 apiece. I even saw some listed for $15 once. Mine are those 3' x 8' heavy black plastic ones with the perforated tops that are usually over $100. The legs pop out so they're easy to transport.

Here is a link that might be useful: my style of table

• Olychick
    10 years ago

As someone said about mtn's new home....thud!

I am absolutely having major greenhouse envy, big time. That is going to be so much fun! I think leave it plain, too, and do some landscaping to lessen its starkness.

This looks like a new build with the plantings still small, but it makes it look better even at this stage.

and look how nice this looks with the landscaping and walkway up to it.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Andee, guess what? There IS a windmill behind where I was standing! lol. Not long ago though, the top got knocked off by the wind. It belongs to a farmer so I'm hoping he gets it fixed, but the big tower structure is still there.

To the right of the picture is a ton of large Oaks and our house, and my DS will be building soon on the area where the greenhouse is. To the left of the GH is one of our gardens. I do think a flowerbed would look nice once they get the water line built.

Chickadee, DH can build tables, he's already built one so far. He set his pretty pumpkins on it. :)

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    10 years ago

I too have major greenhouse envy. Fabulous! I hope you get lots of great veggies and my suggestion is to leave room at one end for a small table and a couple of chairs for a winter tropical retreat.

• Boopadaboo
    10 years ago

Oakleyok,

I am wondering how you are doing with your greenhouse. Did you get to grow much this year over the winter?

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative General Contractors