Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dama2g_gw

Kitchen paint! Help needed!!!! Please!

Dama2g
9 years ago

My cabinets are very similar to bm misty air (creamy). I have a black granite counter and white subway tile backsplash. Right now I have Weston flax on the walls but it makes the cabs look very yellow. I need a change!
What color would you paint the walls? Something similar to the cabs or another neutral color? Cool or warm? Not sure what to do...?!?
Thanks in advance!

Comments (39)

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

First, try changing the light sources to a "higher temperature", a cool white instead of a warm white light ... that can correct a lot of problems.

The main cause of the yellowish cabinets is the bright white trim and tile contrasting with the cream cabinets.

• jjam
    9 years ago

I agree, lighting is possibly throwing everything off a bit, so I would try to remedy that first.

Without seeing anything else, my first instinct would be to add some contrast to the walls. I think a brick/terra cotta shade could blend nicely with everything.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Anything. Whatever color you like.
    I like blue, something like Whythe Blue, Woodlawn Blue, Yarmouth Blue, but also a darker blue.

• Dama2g
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I do have a lot of lights - 6 high hats, 2 semi-flush, 1 over sink pendant, the undercabinet lighs plus two windows. I know, it's bright! When we remodeled we went from a very dated 1970's all brown kitchen with 6' low ceilings (hideous) - so I wanted to make it bright and open. Also, all of the lights are "daylight" color. I can certainly change out lights to cool and start from there.
    I'm still thinking that the current paint needs to go. Most of the cream cabinet kitchens that I see online all have cream colored walls. My cabinets are very close to BM Misty Air. Would you paint that color or a tad darker but in the cream color family? To be honest, I'm leaning towards going off... more like a neutral green - BM Georgian Green to be exact. Here is a picture I took when I put a painted (Georgian Green) cardboard and put it up against the walls/cabs and near the undercabinet lights. I would love to hear your thoughts.
    Thanks so much for your comments so far!

• jjam
    9 years ago

Looks great!

• coll_123
    9 years ago

I like the green. it may look a bit different under the cabinets with the lighting there, but I think it looks fresher than the yellow

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

I think the white trim around the window makes the cabinets look yellow. I would change that before changing the wall paint.

Jane

• Dama2g
    Original Author
    9 years ago

On the right of the picture, under the cabinet, you can see the yellow vs. green. The green, although darker than the yellow, looks fresher - i think.

Here's another pic with the green cardboard w/out undercabinet lighs on.

All of the trim in my home is painted the same color as in the kitchen. My house was built in 1912 and has pretty think wood trim everywhere. If I painted only the trim in the kitchen a different color would that clash with the rest of the trim in the house?

• coll_123
    9 years ago

I think the cabinets look yellow because they are a warm cream. I'm not sure anything you can do, short of repainting them, will get away from that.

here is a soft blue

green

• peony4
    9 years ago

I love pretty apple green with the type of vintagey backsplash you have. Try that first. I would not be inclined to paint the trim.

• coll_123
    9 years ago

Even if you paint the trim the warm cream, you still have the brighter white of the tile to contend with.

• Dama2g
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OMG! thanks so much for photo shopping those colors in. It gives me such a better idea of how the whole think will look! I do like the green over the blue....
    Wow - what a difference!

• theclose
    9 years ago

Love the green! Very pretty kitchen.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I'd go with burgundy, including the backs of the glass cabs.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Wed, Sep 17, 14 at 15:58

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

SW Flower Pot

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Wed, Sep 17, 14 at 16:03

• Dama2g
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm loving these photoshop renderings! Super cool!! Thanks!!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I love the burgundy.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Crimson Red (SW)

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Wed, Sep 17, 14 at 16:05

• User
    9 years ago

Red or Burgundy is beautiful!
    I really love it! Its warm.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Navy!!!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

NSM, I tried it with navy, which was my first thought, but I didn't think it looked very good, Here it is. I added it around the window. All that white I don't think works too well.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

SW Pennywise

• Dama2g
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm sorry to be a bother... can you put in a green (not dark hunter or anything too yellow) as well as a neutral? I would love to see the look of those as well. Initially, I was torn between those two colors but after today I'm rethinking it.
    I'm totally digging your tones! I would have never thought of these colors and now i'm seriously reconsidering. Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Oh wow, this one's the best! Roycroft Copper Red. Perfect!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Rockwood Jade

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Sage Green Light

• Dama2g
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That copper is SO pretty! It resembles that SW Flowerpot from earlier and I kept going back to it. WOW - Thanks!

• Dama2g
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rockwood Jade is gorgeous!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Antiquarian Brown

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Hmmm, Rockwood Jade is my least favorite. Lol.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I like the Antiquarian Brown and the Roycroft Copper Red. I think they go great with your cab color.

• Dama2g
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The copper red really is stunning!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Rockwood Clay

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Did you notice i put the color inside the glass cab as well?

I have friends who did that. They also have ivory cabs. they put a barn red in the glass cabs and have lights in there. Absolutely gorgeous.

• Dama2g
    Original Author
    9 years ago

i did notice and think it looks great! You have opened my eyes today! thank you much!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I have WAY too much free time on my hands! Lol.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Man, I LOVE this color for your kitchen. Here is the SW swatch of Rycroft Copper Red

• rgps
    9 years ago

Yup, cooper red is awesome. Usually I think everything should be blue green but the cooper is way better.

• lazydaisynot
    9 years ago

I really like your original green idea.