Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msrose

Do you think this vase is the right size?

msrose
13 years ago

I'm trying to re-create this hydrangea arrangment:

{{!gwi}}

I found this vase on ebay that is 9" tall and 7" wide.

{{!gwi}}

It will go on the left side of my dresser:

It's not a "buy it now", so I'll have to see how high the bids go, but if I can get it at a reasonable price, do you think it's the right size?

Laurie

Comments (20)

• msrose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh, I just found the same vase in a bigger size...11.75" tall by 9.5 wide at the top, so now I have a choice of sizes. Which is better?

Laurie

• polly929
    13 years ago

Go bigger, since your dresser is larger than the one in the inspiration pic.

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

Yeah...go bigger and think the vase will look great with the arrangement on your dresser. Love your clock, I just got a similar one for a hallway. I also like your lamp and look forward to the pictures when you get the arrangement completed. Good luck on the bidding!!!

• pricklypearcactus
    13 years ago

I agree that the larger size will look better, although I think the smaller one would work too. I also wanted to comment on how lovely your inspiration picture and your dresser and lamp are.

• msrose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, everyone. The good news is the bigger one was a "buy it now", so I got it! I'll post pictures and soon as I get it together. I'm actually planning to use ivory colored hydrangeas for more of a chromatic look. My room has touches of blue, but no green. Do you think the ivory will look good or should I go with the green? I really want to use the ivory. I just want to make sure it's not too blah looking.

Laurie

• loribee
    13 years ago

It will be beautiful~ good find!

• Ideefixe
    13 years ago

I'd buy them both. Your dresser is quite a bit longer than the surface in the inspiration photo. And this look works because the stuff is layered.

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

If you like the white, go with it and throw a couple of palm frawns in for the color.

• User
    13 years ago

I'm glad you got the bigger one. Looking forward to seeing it!

• homebodymom
    13 years ago

I agree with Ideefixe- I would love to see them together. The ivory color will be beautiful. Your bedroom is lovely. I am enjoying watching it come together! May I ask what the paint color is?

• msrose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, you're not going to believe this, but the hydrangeas I've been looking at for the last 3 mths are gone. Of all places they were at Walmart and I hesitated to get them before because they were $10/each. I looked at several places today and they were cheaper, but none were as pretty as the ones at Walmart. So, guess what I'm going to do tomorrow...make the rounds to all the Walmarts in the area :)

homebodymom - I haven't figured out what paint color I have yet. The previous owner painted it, but it really is a great neutral. I couldn't have picked out a better color myself. I have 3 cans of paint in my garage and they're Behr Antique White, Parisian Taupe, and Swiss Coffee Ivory. I have a feeling it's the Antique White, but one of these days I'm going to paint some samples so I'll know for sure.

Laurie

• msrose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

homebodymom - I just realized the Parisian Taupe is an exterior paint, so that rules that one out.

Laurie

• les917
    13 years ago

I would wait to see the vase in person. I think the tall vase and full flowers combination is going to make the lamp feel small.

If you have a Hobby Lobby nearby, check their hydrangea, sold as bushes. Very nice, and a good choice of colors. I would love to see you use the ones that are kind of shades of browns and greens, more fall in feeling, for your space.

You should also check your regular florists - they often have both silk and preserved hydrangea.

Finally, try this site:

flowers by design. You would have to buy as a retail customer, and the pieces arenÂt cheap, but they sell good stuff. You could use the bigger vase of flowers in the bedroom, and buy the smaller vase to put in the bath.

• msrose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ideefixe & homebodymom - I'm going to see how the one looks and if I feel like I need something more, I can get the smaller one also. Are y'all talking about filling both of them w/hydrangeas?

Laurie

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

Mrs.Rose dried hydrangeas are hard to beat, and they're free and they will be perfect in a month.

I think your buffet is perfect for the remake and going with a larger vase was wise.

You are really doing well with your new life, good for you Mrs.Rose.

• msrose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

newdawn & juddgirl2 - Thank you both. I was able to find the hydrangeas I had seen at Walmart, but now that they're in my bedroom, they look more yellow or green than everything else in the room. As soon as I get the vase, I'll post pictures to see what you think of the color.

newdawn - Where would I get dried hydrangeas? Are you talking about getting them from someone's garden? I had an Annabelle hydrangea at my old house that had big, beautiful blooms, but unfortunately I don't have a good location for one at this house.

Laurie

• deeinohio
    13 years ago

Laurie:
    You can get them on ebay, but I just checked and the prices seem awfully high to me. I would send you a box of my Annabelles, but I didn't harvest them this year like I usually do and most have brown flowers along with the green. Frankly, I'd look around at your neighbors. If someone stopped by my house and asked to buy a few of my hydrangeas, I'd just tell them to help themselves. Maybe someone here will send you some from their garden if you provide postage.
    Dee

• Ideefixe
    13 years ago

I would--I like repetition. Or do the taller one with hydrangeas (I'd mix dried and silk, if you can because of the contrast in textures) and then you can leave the smaller one empty or use a lighter textured flower/grass. Maybe something that looks like young oats or baby's breath. Don't skimp. Here in LA, I buy hydrangea at the flower markets, let it dry, and then toss it when it gets too beat up.

• homebodymom
    13 years ago

I think I would fill them both as well. I think they would be beautiful together! Don't think I mentioned it before, but I love the lamp too!