Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

BR color help please...

Annie Deighnaugh
11 years ago

From the get-go, I've struggled with the paint color in my bedroom. What I ended up with is OK, but not the atmosphere I'm looking for. What I wanted was that cozy cohesive look that says "ahhhh" as soon as you walk in the space. We got it in Mom's bedroom at her condo with the palest of golden yellow walls and a monochromatic scheme. I saw it again in Palimpsest's pic of father's bedroom.

{{gwi:1542534}}

I'm hoping you can suggest paint colors that will help me get that "ahhh" atmosphere. I started with the fabrics for the window treatments, which I like (and don't want to have to make again any time soon). I'm delighted with the accent wall, the bedding which I got so lucky with in that it has exactly the same colors as the window fabrics. I went with a little bling which I added with glass in the fringe and the light fixtures.

Current colors are the ceiling and walls are in BM Bone flat. Trim in BM Bone semi-gloss and accent wall in BM Colorado Gray.

The side panels are actually the wrong side of the fabric so more gold shows. I also have more fabric of each to use in the room...maybe a scarf for the dresser...more pillows on the chair or the bed....

So question #1 is, should I repaint the bone walls? If so, should I continue the Colorado Gray? Try to match that greenish gold in the fabrics? And if so, do I need to paint the 2 alcoves, or leave them the bone? (I hate to paint the window alcove as hanging that treatment was a total PITA.)

Question #2, should I paint the furniture? If so, in the bone? The furniture is what we bought when we were first married back in the late 70s, and it looks it. The finish is not in great shape, so painting it might be a possibility...a good winter project. I also still have mother's headboard which I could swap out if it would help the look. (Off white with soft gold and white upholstery). I'd like to get a new bedside table on the right side as I have the mate for this one in the guest room, and would like it to go there. But so far tag sales haven't yielded success. The left side table is just utilitarian but serves the function well....certainly it can be painted as well. The vanity in the alcove was mine when I was a child...formica topped white french provincial. I faux finished it with a marble top and walnut bottom. I was originally going to get a chaise for the window alcove, but I had this chair and I find I really like the swivel for when I want to look out the window or have the sun on my back...but I think I might get an ottoman for it...

Of course, I'd love to hear any other suggestions about the room....

TIA!

Comments (45)

• bleigh
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm thinking that if you had one color on the walls that would help. Maybe even a bit lighter than the Colorado Gray. I'm having a hard time getting that color correct on my monitor so I could be wrong with that idea. I would paint the alcoves.

Any way you could make a fabric headboard? That would help to give a restful, soft feeling it sounds like you're after. Also think painting the furniture in the bone or other soft white would be a great idea.

For your vanity area...are you opposed to doing something different there? I think if you could wall mount a counter top to fit wall to wall and then add a skirt to the floor it would help to ground the space a little better. Add a longer mirror too.

I like your swivel chair...looks like a comfy reading nook. An ottoman would be great to go with it.

You've got a nice room to work with. That window is beautiful.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

To be more enveloping, I would chose one color rahter than an accent wall. It could be the current accent color, or perhaps something a bit closer to the background of the fabric. You could try leaving the window alcove alone, as it kind of "trims" the window.

I would try leaving the furniture stained at first.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, bleigh...I hadn't thought about trying a lighter color than the colorado gray....maybe that would do it. I'll have to post a pic of mom's headboard which is off white and upholstered in gold fabric with small yellow dots (mom upholstered it herself). My concern though is if I get that in the painted, do I need to paint all the other furniture too?

palimpsest, thank you for your suggestion. I think you're right about changing the wall color first and then seeing how the furniture sits with it.

In your father's bedroom, I notice a great textured wall covering that has the natural with the blue. Do you think a wall covering would work in my room? Or is it too much wall and would it be over powering?

Also, is faux finishing out? I would prefer it over a textured wall covering only because redoing paint is so much easier than removing wall paper....I think DH would have a kitten if I said I wanted to wall paper the room....

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Any other suggestions, anyone?

• jenniferPA
    11 years ago

Annie, since your goal is cohesive, how about painting all the walls and ceiling the same color? (Leaving trim as is). I have SW Rainwashed in my master BR, which looks to be along the same lines as your accent wall/background of bedspread colors. My ceiling is still white, but I debate painting it the same as the walls to add to the coziness of the room.

I like the wood of my bedroom set with the blue/green paint color. It is similar to the color of the wood of your mirror above the dresser. Possibly consider staining your funiture darker?

My other thought is to perhaps simplify the wall behind the bed. I picture an upholstered headboard that is rounded and curves up in the middle. Maybe nothing above it at all.

BTW, I submit these suggestions very humbly, since I really admire your decorating style and all the thoughtful ideas you post!

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

I swear white/ivory/butter(palest of gold)are the *only* colors that give that ahhhhhhh cozy feeling as well as look! It seems when a color is used, it gets in the way and takes away from what should be comforting, especially intense colors. If you're wanting spa-like, that's another story, but for a wrapped-up-in-a-fuzzy-blanket kind of coziness, I find the pale neutrals are where it's at. ;o)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Jennifer...rain washed is a beautiful shade...a little lighter than the Colorado gray. I hadn't thought about staining the furniture darker...interesting idea.

Yes pattycakes, that's what I thought to and was hoping for with the bone color, but it is really leaving me cold. I think it needs more warmth...maybe more yellow or gold undertone. Maybe a pale gold might work....

I uploaded a pic of the room to the BM website to play with colors, and it started looking really warm and cozy with the gold walls, but nearly every room in the house has gold walls and I wanted some relief in my bedroom. And blue is my favorite color, yet I don't have it anywhere else in the house...it is in the outhouse though!

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

Annie, don't you find the gold walls warm? My whole house has warm tan walls, but in the evening looks to be a golden hue, giving a warm glow to all the rooms. The only other 'colors' i've used in the house are ivory and black, with more or less in the various rooms~my MB is where I've omitted the black, and only have the pale neutrals.

Maybe changing the wall color from the gold to a warm tan will give you that cozy feeling you're wanting. Not a big change, but sometimes it's the subtle changes that bring about the *biggest* change. ;o)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's pics of Mom's headboard. (Didn't she do a nice job reupholstering it?) Her room was the soft pale yellow with the bedding matching the headboard and her windows were in an ivory fabric with the fringe matching the headboard fringe. It was really lovely. Every time I walked in the room, I went ahhh.

So should I swap headboards? And if I do, can I leave the rest of the furniture dark??

• graywings123
    11 years ago

What draws my eye to Palimpsest's picture is the grasscloth wallpaper which gives texture to the walls. But I don't think I would like it as much with your lovely alcove.

The accent wall doesn't work for me; it competes with the alcove. But doing all the walls in blue gives you a lot of blue when you factor in the bedspread and rug. If you go that route, you might look at Ellen Kennon's Gustavian Grey. Or remove the accent wall color and do the ceiling only in Gustavian Grey.

If it were my room, I would be tempted to change out the artwork and accessories if I were trying for the ahhh feeling. The pieces you have may be there because they are meaningful to you. But in a photo, they don't register as anything special. A fabric headboard would be a nice addition. And more light sources.

• fripper
    11 years ago

Love your Mom's headboard! She did a fabulous job of upholstering it, and I'd certainly try to incorporate it into the room. Looks like it would go with either the blues or ivories. I think darker stained furniture would look great with it.

As far as grass cloth (which I love) I see no reason you couldn't use it on all the main walls and just paint the alcove to blend.

Is the any way you could exchange the headboards and take another pic? I'm really curious to see what it looks like in your room.

• lascatx
    11 years ago

I understand the desire to bring in blue, but I do wonder if it might be a bit much on all the walls and fabric. I would definitely go lighter if you want to try that route.

My bedroom walls are BM Wish and the ceiling is a pale blue (custom mix started by BM and finished by yours truly, so I can't give you a match, but looks like you would need a different shade with a bit more green anyway). Depending on the tones in the bone, you might be able to do your walls in something like Wish, put the blue/green or blue/grey on the ceiling and leave the alcove highlighted with the bone. Also, looking at the tapestry and framed pieces you have on the walls, I think it could be difficult to get a greenish blue that accents the art as well as another color might.

While your mother's headboard was nicely done, I would prefer the headboard you are using> The scallops on your mother's headboard would be better with a simpler fabric.

Once you get your paint color, I would consider spray painting your sconces to a softer finish, getting a larger chandelier overhead, and maybe editing a few accessories (the white pillow seems a bit stark for all the soft tones on my monitor and there are a few too many things on the bed for my taste, maybe take the fern off the dresser and place it by the base of the other plant, etc.). You really have a nice start and a beautiful room to work with. Hope you find suggestions to get it to your idea of "aaahhhhh".

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Gray wings, the gustavian gray is lovely and might yield the "ah". Some of the art is what I had, though the needlepoints were done by DHs grandmother. So certainly some can be swapped out.

Fripper, my concern with moms headboard is that the gold is too gold and I'd need to reupholster it. Then I'd be stuck with one painted piece which may look odd with all the other wood on the room....

Lascatx, I hadn't thought about the neutral on the wall and the blue on the ceiling...it would help envelope the room and still give me some blue in the space...and it would help make the trim stand out.

Decisions....decisions...

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So I took my fan deck into the room and came up with powell buff,

{{gwi:1736491}}

which is interesting as I have used that same color elsewhere in the house.

What do you think?

• Oakley
    11 years ago

I love the buff, but not for a bedroom. My LR is almost the same color. I think with the color of the furniture and the buff, the room will be more on the masculine side, even with the blueish bedspread.

Can you show us a picture where you used the buff in another room?

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

I like the Powell Buff - I don't think it will feel masculine at all. And I agree that for peacefulness, a color that wraps the whole room is ideal.

The picture on the wall beside the bed is looking a little lost...I'd put something much paler and taller there...perhaps a pair of pretty botanicals with creamy mats and slender dull gold frames, hung one over the other, directly over the night table?

You know what a detail nut I am...I think your wall lamps are hung too high, a little too close to your headboard, and in need of cord covers. I swear I think that would make a big difference!

And I'd put the flowers in a fat round bowl. Much cozier.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We used the powell buff on the walls in the master bath

It was also used on the ceiling in the family room and kitchen/bkfst nook, but it's hard to see in pics

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

B, I love your sense of style and appreciate all your comments.

Yes I think you're right. I knew something felt crowded about the lamps, but wasn't sure what. Not happy with the shiny brass, but I'm afraid to touch them as they are touch on/touch off lamps and I'm afraid if I paint them they won't work any more. Cord covers I have, but haven't added them until I decide what to do with the room. Pic is a leftover from the old house which only had 8' ceilings....it doesn't look right there, I agree. Thanks!

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Thank you for them kind words - I think if you choose Powell Buff, and shift them, you'll find that the shiny brass doesn't bother you as much. The blue wall intensifies them, I think.

If you do choose the buff, you might also consider painting your headboard a cool cream, like Lancaster Whitewash? I think it would look quite pretty with your linens.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So I pulled a pic off the wall and painted a swatch of powell buff.

I love it! It's amazing as in the kitchen ceiling, I don't see any green at all, but in the BR it has that same greenish undertone as in the fabrics. Fabulous!

I like it so much, I may paint out the alcove with the vanity, but I'll save it until the rest of the room is done to see if I want to do the alcove by the window.

Good news, I had enough paint to do the swatch. Bad news, I need to buy more paint to get 'er done!

Then I have to decide what to do with the ceiling...for now I'll just leave it, but I may want to do it in a paler shade of colorado blue....one step at a time.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Actually, Annie, our house (exterior) is Powell Buff, so I am prejudiced in its favor. I have used it in a bedroom (someone else's) with BMoore Glass Slipper on the ceiling, and I highly recommend the combination for you. I don't think an accent wall in that pretty, serene room does you any favors, but adding the pale blue ceiling would be lovely.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So I went to lunch with a friend and stopped at a paint store afterward. We looked at the powell buff and then we looked at the pittsfield buff...she thought pittsfield was better...a little more green. Unfortunately, this store was small and couldn't mix a sample for me.

Pittsfield buff
    {{gwi:1807866}}
    Powell buff
    {{gwi:1736491}}

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Glass slipper is a lovely color.

{{gwi:1807867}}

I think I'll see about the walls and then if I'm still not happy, I'll look to the ceiling. I know it's backwards from how it's supposed to be done, but backwards somehow fits me these days.

• Oakley
    11 years ago

On my monitor, the Powell Buff on the wall is completely different than the swatch above in the picture with the Pittsfield Buff.

The wall looks med. yellow. The other looks completely beige which is why I said it would give a masculine feel.

Is it just my monitor? lol

• denali2007
    11 years ago

I have Powell Buff in my foyer and upstairs hallway and love it. I have a teal colored rug there and it goes so well. I have Pittsfield Buff in a bedroom and while I like it I don't think it is as nice as Powell Buff. I have both these ceilings in a color called Constellation. It's a very light blue it is BM AF 540, an Affinity color. I think your bedding would look wonderful with either of those 2 colors. On another note I have another bedroom done in an Affinity color called Hush AF 95. with the constellation ceiling. My bedding is very similar to yours although it has siver in it not gold. I love that room too.
    I also think that the reccomendation for glass slipper would be very nice also.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

In real life, Powell Buff is a pale but rich gold, not the tan-beige-brown that I see on my monitor. And Glass Slipper is much prettier, too. Tomorrow, I'll take a photo of the outside of my house, in case that helps.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for all your help....as you can see I'm flummoxed.

I think I'll run to home depot today and get some samples that are not BM...lately I've been doing so much better with Martha colors.

It's not just the monitor, but the angle of the monitor....depending on how high or low it is, I'm seeing completely different shades on my screen. Most frustrating.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    11 years ago

For the brass, you might want to try Rub 'n Buff, to tone it down...

Here is a link that might be useful: blog post about Rub 'n Buff

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks becky, but I'm concerned about painting them. They are touch on/touch off and I'm afraid that any paint would mean they won't work any more.

• funkyart
    11 years ago

I am confused-- what happened to the Powell Buff? I was especially excited to see how it turned out as that same night a friend told me that we "women of a certain age" should have peach, apricot or pale yellows on our walls -- well, crap, I thought. I hate peach and apricot.. but I could live with pale yellow/golds-- especially in a bedroom. I was hoping you'd be my guinea pig!!

I definitely think monochromatic rooms are very restful and "ah" inspiring... so perfect for the bedroom.

• teacats
    11 years ago

Forgive my late entry -- but perhaps consider adding the warm texture that grasscloth wallpaper would bring to your room (which is already VERY pretty!!!)

Or perhaps add grasscloth to the wall behind the bed AND to the walls of the alcove?

Yes -- I adore pal's photo of his father's bedroom -- and would just LOVE to have grasscloth in our bedroom!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The grass cloth is beautiful, but when I mentioned wallpaper to DH, he had a conniption. We were spoiled at the old house with plaster walls which we could steam, etc. to remove wallpaper, but he's scared to death of getting paper off of sheet rock, so no dice.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

If your walls are properly primed, and you choose a strippable product, you can hang wall covering without fear.

But I think the right color is what you need. Didn't get the photo taken today, but will tomorrow.

• yayagal
    11 years ago

Below is Benjamin Moore Paint list for the 30 new colors. I see a green one in there that would look so nice in your bedroom but there's lots from which to choose.

Here is a link that might be useful: New Paint Colors

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks yayagal, I'll look for "from the archives" as it too looks like it might be a good shade

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So we just saw friends off who are landscape architects....she has a very good eye esp for design. When she looked at my bedroom she agreed the color would improve the room. Then she said something that surprised me. She thought the chair in the arched window was too small in scale...hmmm. I originally wanted a chaise there, but since I already had the gold chair, I put it there and found I liked it as it rocks and swivels so I can turn to look out the window or have the sun at my back...can't do that with a chaise.

What do you think? Is the chair out of scale for the big window?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, I bought the gallon of pittsfield buff, but never put it on the wall. I'm still thinking I'll be unhappy with the color.

I recently posted this pic of a Candice Olson room which again yields that "aahhh" and has many colors that are similar to mine, which triggered my thought process again.

So I dug out the episode and looked up the wall color. She used BM Delaware Putty. (I'll have to head to the store as it's not in my fan deck.)

What say ye?

• krayers
    10 years ago

Love it. Soft & restful. Looks great with the pastel soft blues.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

Oh I love the putty color and love that bedroom. You could paint your furniture a creamy white and add new knobs. Yummy.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Annie, what a lovely window. Could I suggest that since your mom's bedroom always evoked that ahhhh feeling, that you re-create it?

The upholstered headboard is just lovely. Your mom did a wonderful job reupholstering it. I will follow this post because I am so excited to see what you do with your lovely room!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think I may have finally found the right color....it's Pittsburgh Paints "At the Beach". The web site lists the RGB numbers for the paint...can I take that to Ben Moore and get the right shade? Or should I buy PPG...I've never used their paints before...anyone with any experience with them?

Here is a link that might be useful: At the beach PPG

• rosie
    10 years ago

I've been thinking about it because it's the look I really want too. I also recognized it immediately in Palimpsest's father's room.

I think it's hard to get that look with just paint, at least I'm not succeeding, although dark paint might work better. To some extent a more layered look is part of this, and it's easier to carry off with dark backgrounds.

Wall covering. Softly patterned wallpaper or grass cloth. Texture. Serene, harmonious colors. Simple elegance. No mistakes in scale or balance. A gently upholstered feeling without oppressiveness. A relatively high proportion of soft, sound-gentling surfaces to hard.

Filling the space enough to feel cozy without cluttering it. If you're doing a rug on carpet, a very large one because I saw a picture of a bedroom with plaster walls, and a spectacularly large, fine Persian rug on the floor almost accomplished the ahh! for me all by itself.

An original Renoir over the mantle, like Aurora's bedroom in Terms of Endearment.

Well, anyway, the look of a room that's meant to fulfill emotional needs, not just to sleep in. I've noticed many bedrooms somehow look static, unifunctional, in spite of silk drapes and comforters. Even if they do have sitting areas included, it looks like extra furniture was brought in to fill too-large spaces. THIS room should be a comforting promise to yourself while dealing with long, aggravating days. :)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just what my room needs...an original Renoir!

• rosie
    10 years ago

I think that just might be the answer you're looking for, and you do have a perfect setting for it. :)

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company