Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loribee_gw

Fall colors- family room

loribee
13 years ago

I'm home today, waiting for Hurricane Earl to stop by so I thought I'd share what I'm working on in the family room. Here's the spring/summer version:

For fall, I added wicker pieces and rugs from the other rooms and tried to incorporate the colors of watermelon, deeper blue and gold. I did buy the blue pillows- Sam's $16.97. Do you think I need more melon colored pillows maybe? Thanks for looking~

Comments (33)

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

All your rooms are beautiful, Lori, & I always love seeing your living room.

The first pic, for some reason, seems more Fall-ish to me than the others, WITH the exception of the rug change. I really love the more Persian-looking rug in there. It adds depth & color & does feel warmer & more autumnal.

The ottoman doesn't really say "Fall" to me, & seems to clutter your lovely furniture layout.

If you really want to do something seasonal for Fall, how about plates on the sconces that are in warmer tones instead of blues? It seems your color palette would allow you to bring in some plates & other porcelain items with browns,cream, & light rust.

How about a throw in light rust or "cafe au lait brown" (in a very soft texture) instead of the blue?

Again, your room is SO pretty. It needs NO tweaking in my view. I understand wanting to bring in the season through your decor though.

• avesmor
    13 years ago

Lovely!

Are there candles in your sconces (above the mantel)? If so, I don't see them. Maybe that would be a good place to add more color if you would like a few more "pops"?

• Oakley
    13 years ago

What a beautiful and cheery room! Outside the change of rugs I can't tell a difference in the room from Summer to Fall, and it must be my monitor because I can't see any Watermelon either. The rug looks to have orange in it, but a pretty orange!

I do howerver LOVE that ottoman. I'd keep it there, it's just too pretty to hide. You can always put a medium size tray on it with Fall decorations on the tray.

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

Hey, that's a great idea for working with the ottoman, Oakley! I like that. That would help Lori bring in another touch of Fall. Sounds interesting & pretty.

Maybe I really nixed the ottoman because I just love that rug & want to see more of it!

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

I really like your room both ways! The only thing is that the blue seems to be more of a summer color. Maybe if you used gold, apricot or melon cushions and throws.

It seems there were more pillows on the loveseat, to the left, in the summer version. To me more pillows equals fall/winter. Love the ottoman and the rug change...and have you thought of leaving the wicker chair year round? You have beautiful drapes and I really like the picture over the fireplace :)

• homebodymom
    13 years ago

I always love seeing pics of your home. So beautiful and warm. The new Fall changes are wonderful.

• teacats
    13 years ago

Really really lovely room! Just love seeing your photos!

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• perky_2
    13 years ago

oh that's a pretty room! Everything is just perfect, warm, and cozie! Drool Drool.

• elsa42
    13 years ago

Very pretty room! The rug in the first photo is beautiful. I wouldn't change it. Couldn't you just change your pillows, throws and fireplace florals and call it a day?

• loribee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

THANKS for your kind comments & fun suggestions~
    Sometimes it's scary to ask for help, but I do love to hear different ideas. This room never photos well for some reason, but in real life it appears very different from before.
    Much cozier I think? In looking at it again, I'd say yes, it needs more pillows.

To answer some questions-
    "Are there candles in your sconces (above the mantel)?"
    Yes, cream candles...

"It must be my monitor because I can't see any Watermelon either."
    The rug is watermelon colored. I reallllly would like to add some more pillows in that color and will have to hunt for some or for some fabric. Hubby's ottoman & floral painting in the corner also contain that color.

"Have you thought of leaving the wicker chair year round?"
    I certainly will now....thanks!

"I do however LOVE that ottoman. You can always put a medium size tray on it with Fall decorations on the tray."
    Oooopsss...the wicker tray under my coffee table actually goes there but hubby keeps taking it off to prop his feet up- the nerve! :)

Thanks again...

• ttodd
    13 years ago

I love looking at pictures of your home!

• kitchenkelly
    13 years ago

Me, too. When are the House Beautiful photographers showing up?

• alex9179
    13 years ago

I have to say, I gasped when I clicked on this thread! What a wonderful and welcoming room you've created! I think your changes are beautiful and the only other thing I might do is switch out/around the pieces on your mantle. Bring in the fall colors you are using elswhere, up there.

Thank you so much for posting your pictures!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

Your room is so lovely in every way but there was one element that to me didn't seem to fit in with the decor. Forgive me for mentioning this, since it's not really what your question was about, but for me the painting over the fireplace doesn't really work and is somehow incongruent with the overall look of the room. I'm not usually a fan of mirrors over the fireplace but in this case wonder if the right mirror might not be more in keeping with the remainder of the room. Otherwise perhaps a landscape with more of a classical 19th century feel which had a good deal of sky and clouds in it, something with softer colors and a less congested feel, might be very nice. Again, everything else is so beautiful and well done, and of a caliber that's definitely above the norm.

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

I always love looking at that room...it looks so comfortable and inviting. Your accents are wonderful and I like how you change things out for the season. Looks great and I love that ottoman!!!

• bonnieann925
    13 years ago

The rug is a wonderful addition to an already beautiful room. I'd switch out some of the blue for colors that compliment the rug. Lovely room....get out the book, the tea and get that fireplace going! It feel like fall here today, doesn't it?

• loribee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Bannie...fall indeed! :(

Sincere thanks girls- your kind comments are greatly appreciated!

Ingrid...the mantle painting, yes, you are correct but we loved it. We just pretend that it's perhaps Corwall, on the English Coast and then it works.

thanks again~~~~

• tuesday_2008
    13 years ago

This has always been one of my favorite inspiration rooms on here - spring, summer, fall or winter! I love the fact that your changes are subtle (other than the rug, which I like by the way). And the picture over the FP is perfect!

Tuesday

• User
    13 years ago

So pretty. Picture perfect really. I hope once our living room is done it has the sense of calm and warmth your does. It's very homey and I love that. Thanks for sharing and the inspiration!

• loribee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much, Tuesday & Lukkiirish!!
    I just shopped the basement and found a few more pillows, so I feel better~~
    thanks again...

• susie100
    13 years ago

Hi, Lori, love your room and everything in it, but I'm reeeallyy interested in the draperies and where you got them, if I may be so bold as to ask. I've been looking at new drapes for my living room for ages and can't seem to find anything I like well enough to buy.

• karoloke
    13 years ago

Love, love, love your room! I've been wanting to find some brown leather recliners that don't look like recliners for some time now. Do yours recline, and if so, I'd love to know who makes them? I love the different textures of the leather, wicker chairs, and the couches. Very charming, cozy room, and I like all the seasonal changes you make! I will be saving it to my inspiration file.

• loribee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Susie100, thank you~
    The drapes were a collaborative effort from some decorating friends when we lived at my old house. They are old now but I do love them and what they represent.
    They came from Tuesday Morning and Christmas Tree Shop, from different parts of the East Coast, as we couldn't find enough here. Kind friends pitched in and helped me shop! :)
    These JCP drapes in ivory look a bit similar, if that helps-

Karoloke...so kind, thank you!
    The recliners are made by Lane- Chloe recliners, well used and very comfy. Very reasonably priced as well. Thanks again~

Here is a link that might be useful: Parkwood Thermal 50Wx84

• susie100
    13 years ago

Thanks for the JCP link, Lori. They are very nice curtains, and what a great price and free shipping as well!

• anjismith
    13 years ago

I almost reached into my monitor and tried to grab that throw...may I ask where you found it?

Such a beautiful cozy setup. Thanks for sharing.

• loribee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Anjismith...very exclusive - Sam's! Oversized, soft and comfy!! Thanks~~

• craftmomnancy
    13 years ago

Beautiful room. Could you tell me the paint color on the walls?
    Nancy

• loribee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Nancy...it's BM standish white.

• hoosiergirl
    13 years ago

Loribee, you have a gorgeous room there! I just saw this online article from Traditional Home and this room reminds me so much of your room. It inspired me to suggest possibly trying the leather chairs across from each other (as the red ones are in the photo) and replace one with the wicker chair. Enjoy your beautiful space!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Traditional Home photo

• User
    13 years ago

Lori, I just love your house. So pretty. I like both the before and after. I love how the red rug is layered (it is layered right?) over the sisal.

• loribee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

hoosiergirl...what a lovely comparison, thank you!!!
    Can't move the recliners like that because of the darn tv in the corner but I can play with arrangements this weekend. Thanks!

shee....thanks so much! Yes, the persian is layered over the sisal. :)

• susanwrites
    13 years ago

Oh lori, what a wonderfully warm and comfy room. Thanks so much for sharing where those recliners came from as they look like the perfect size for my new space.

Love all the ideas people have tossed around but truly love the room just as you have it too! (I know, I'm no help at all.)

• work_in_progress_08
    13 years ago

Lori - love your room and style! I want your drapes as they would look great in my LR and DR areas. Thanks for posting the link to the JCP panels. How close are the JCP to what you have? Your color choices are wonderful for the season. Score on the throw!

I've gotten to this thread too late. Any event, the JCP drapes are still available and I have started another thread on the Discussions to see if anyone's purchased them. Wanted to get feedback, if any.

My LR is SW Blonde so my first choice would be the New Orleans Red, but considering my DH is a nut about being more monochromatic, I also ordered the Ivory. I need 10 panels and for the price...

Has anyone seen or bought the drapes from JCP that Lori linked? Quality? Comments?

TIA