Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scrappykat48

Can I make this a beachy kitchen??????

Kati
9 years ago

Hi Again,

You guys have been so helpful with your ideas and suggestions, I'm wondering if you can help me with this.

I am in the process of buying a small, older home on a lake. This is the current kitchen. I would like to redecorate the whole house to have more of a cottage, beachy feel and this kitchen is SO the opposite of that :(

I don't like the dark cabinets or the countertops........what color appliances? I really don't like stainless steel (have had them before and they never look clean!).

I don't have a lot of money to spend unfortunately (have to buy all new appliances so thats a given), but I'm thinking i should paint the cabinets white (I really don't like white cabs either---so hard to keep clean---have had them before too :/ )

Don't think I can afford to replace the countertops but painting the cab's could help make them work better

What about wall color?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated! :)

This post was edited by scrappykat on Thu, Sep 11, 14 at 14:31

Comments (35)

• User
    9 years ago

The photo isn't showing up.

• nancyocean
    9 years ago

I can't see the picture either, but I wouldn't paint cabinets white unless I loved loved loved white. Are their other things you can do to give it more of a beachy feel? For example blue and white stripped curtains/wallpaper/towels. I don't think you have to have white cabinets to have a beachy feel. I love WD 40 for cleaning stainless steel, but I also think stainless is beautiful and I love the reflection and light it adds to the room. If you don't like SS, do you like white appliances or are they too hard to clean like cabinets?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Beachy Kitchen examples.

I would consider spending some money on a larger window.

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

Check out the replacement cost on the counters - you might find it's more affordable than you think and getting light colored counters in there will make a world of difference. I'd do that rather than paint the cabinet for sure. Paint the trim around the window white, put your beachy blue on the walls and put beadboard wallpaper on the side and under the overhang on the peninsula - paint it the same as the walls. As for appliances, I'm not a SS lover either but in this case I might bite the bullet and use it. White will stick out too much with the cabinets even with white or very light counters, and black will just look wrong. Get better light fixtures in there - a cute pendant over the sink or even a goose neck wall light. The central ceiling fixture is not going to give you the light you need and you'll always be in your own shadow. Hard to really see the floor but if you get a large striped rug in your beachy colors (something like Dash and Albert) that will brighten the space a lot, too. I think you can get there with what you have without painting the cabinets. It won't be a white beach kitchen but it can still look light and fun.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I'd paint the cabinets a gray/blue; white appliances; paint the trim around the window white;beadboard backsplash (white); create a plate rack out of that open area in your upper cab and put white dinner plates in it; sand-colored indoor/outdoor rug. See link.

Plate rack:

Here is a link that might be useful: Indoor/outdoor rug

• missymoo12
    9 years ago

Cabinet paint in a blue green. Even a rust oleum countertop paint job in the lightest one would help and still be cheap. Or new Formica. In white.
    The lighting - I would try a track light system one of those cool LED deals where the light hangs down from the track which hangs down from the ceiling. $ spent on lighting would be well spent. Get an electrician in to fish
    some wires to get you more lighting.
    Definitely get a different window. Biggest you can. Flooring looks workable.
    Get stainless appliances or at least the kind that look like stainless that wash up better. If you go with white unless it's very high end or European it will just look blah. Lots to do there but
    #1 bigger window
    #2. Lighting
    #3 paint cabinets then re-assess counters.
    Looks like fun!@

• Kati
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dim2000, u r a genius!! Love all your suggestions and agree that SS is the way to go---thank you so much for your advise!!

• Kati
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions! I really don't have a lot of money to spend on this kitchen (the bathroom is a total redo---ugh, plus i need to put in a deck or patio, C/A etc), so putting in a bigger window isn't going to happen :/

I REALLY don't want to paint the cabs either so will go with SS appliances, new counter top (laminate but a light, stone look), definitely new lighting, not sure about paint or wallpaper for the walls, possibly a back splash---a fun rug would help too :)

• MagdalenaLee
    9 years ago

This is what I would do: Paint the cabs blue, white appliances, white shiplap walls, new goose neck faucet, new light fixtures and a bright/colorful rug.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

So many of my clients have those gooseneck faucets with the pull-down sprayer, so I've used themâ¦I think they're awful (no offense, Magdalena).

However, I just had a new faucet put in which I absolutely LOVE. It's the Wolverine Brass Finale Single Handle w/spray. It is a perfect faucet. Perfect height, heavy, high quality, but much more inexpensive than the gooseneck stuff. You can get the chrome for $165, including the sprayer. I did buy a Moen weight to attach to the sprayer hose under the sink, which works great.

Agree w/Magdalena about white appliances, though. IMO, smartest and best way to go. And I love the shiplap walls. Beadboard is another good choice if you want beachy.

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

scrappykat - glad to help! I just look at it as if it were my kitchen and the LAST thing you'd find me doing is painting all the cabinets - it's a boatload of work, long process and little chance for the average person to get a finish they're really happy with or that lasts like a factory finish. Most of us love that chippy paint look - as long is it's not kitchen cabinet paint that's chipping because it can't stand up to everyday use!!! Replacing the window with a larger one is not always possible but even if it is, it's a big expense. I'd go for the quicker, easier changes first and see how much change you can make for the least $$. I found this picture and think it's great inspiration. If you like the back splash, that's a change you can save for and do down the road when you can afford it and it's another way to bounce some light around. Put some knobs or handles on your cabinets, something to pick up the stainless or even something to pick up the blue. I've seen some knobs that looks like beach glass if that appeals to you.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

This is actually the faucet I got, in brushed nickel. You have to buy Wolverine Brass, though, through your plumber or from a plumbing place that sells them. WB does not sell to the general public. I got mine from Matson's Plumbing online. I cannot rave about this faucet enough, and I know how ridiculous that sounds. But it was one of my smarter moves/

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Changing the boob light might not be a bad idea either.

• loribee
    9 years ago

Deb is brilliant, love her simple ideas. Excited to see the after pix!

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

Do it yourself painted cabinets is the last think I would do. Stripping and staining lighter would be way before painted that will chip and look tacky way too fast. Stick to white appliances--they are classic and will always be appreciated. Bead board around the peninsula and wall paint will do wonders. Is this a lake cabin or full time home? Remember at the lake you don't want to spend it working. Be sure everything is maintenance FREE. Lucky for you that often adds up to the least expensive!!

• Kati
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dim, we obviously have the same style aesthetic because I love the inspiration photo you posted-----that back splash is gorgeous---everything just goes together so nicely. i also like that it isn't a stereotypically *beachy* look....

Re: painting the cabs, yes, I really worried about my ability to do it well and since money is an issue, I can't pay a professional to do it.

Thank you again for your wonderful ideas! :)

• Kati
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just saw this (Instant Granite--its like a thick contact paper) on a different thread and it looks intriguing---the main hard part of the install would be the back splash areas I'm thinking......

Otherwise, people talk about painting their counter tops---do you guys have any input on that? Is it hard to get a good finish?

Here is a link that might be useful: Instant Granite

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Wow, cool. I think it looks like it's worth a try for the backsplash. I'd be nervous to use it on counters, though. So many sharp things in kitchens. wouldn't it get sliced up?

Counters take such a beating. I think you need a surface that is very toughâ¦OR one that you don't mind looking worn, i.e.: rustic, which would go with your beach theme.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

If you are considering changing out your countertops, Formica makes a laminate called "Calacatta Marble." I have never seen it, but in the blogosphere, it gets high marks. Apparently it is carried by Lowe's and HD and they can make edges that look less like Formica and more like real marble. Below is a previous thread discussing marble-look Formica. Be sure to look at the blog link in the thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread on Formica 180fx Calacatta

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

scrappykat have you googled for painted counter top reviews? I linked one review, not really favorable and to me the look is pretty lame. That could just be the color she chose, but the color choices from that specific product are not great. Honestly, if you want to try and go that route as a really temporary fix - why not - as long as you're prepared to replace it with something in case it's not something you can live with. I agree with Tibbrix about the other product - seems you'd have to be super careful not to nick it. I don't know..... I never cut directly on my counters and they're stone, but I never cut on formica when I had it and can't imagine I'd do that on any material so maybe it would hold up ok.

In a previous life I was a decorative painter and we did some counter top work before there were specific products made for that. It was always meant to be a temporary fix and we never did a kitchen, only powder room or secondary bathrooms but it served a purpose and worked well enough. It's all about the prep. You have to create a scuffed surface, then use a good quality bonding primer before painting. And you'll have to remove your sink to get the paint under it and not have it look like an amateur job. Then you have to decide if you want a single color or want to try and mimic a stone - and of course that requires some practice and more than one color. Then..... you have to let all that cure before you put on the finish coat(s), then let that cure...... do you need to be using this kitchen during this process?

Here is a link that might be useful: Ugly Duckling House review

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I'm embarrassed to say but I did the "instant granite" in a tiny rental studio kitchen, and almost two years later, it still looks amazingly good.

It's very thick vinyl-like. And you glue it down, so even little cuts are all glued and disappear. Kind of like modpodge.

Even my contractor thought I got new counters :)

Shop around. I think I bought it on overstock at the time.

• Kati
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nosoccermom, thank you for the info----was it hard to put on? Like by the curved backsplash area for example? I'm intrigued!! :)

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

No, it was super easy. It would have been perfect if I could have lifted up the drop-in sink. However, I kind of pushed it under the edge and caulked around it. I didn't have straight edges in the front but kind of like an ogee edge, and even that worked very well.

I swear it's not pink whatsoever but the color posted above.

• Kati
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow! It looks great! Off to check out what colors it comes in ;)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

That is amazing.

• amykath
    9 years ago

I would paint the cabs a nice green blue and paint the trim around the window white. You can use beadboard as your bs.. Or paint the uppers cream or white and the bottoms a nice blue/green. I cannot tell from the photo the colors in the countertop. You could go with inexpensive butcher block from Ikea. That is what I did. Then your kitchen would be super beachy! Here is a link to a ton of affordable choices from Ikea. Or you can spray the counters as someone else suggested.

Keep us posted!
    Amy

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikea Countertops

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Of course, that's about the whole counter top I have, plus a small sliver on the other side.
    But I have to admit that I was surprised how well it turned out. I just bought a small piece for something like 40.00, instead of 600.00+ for the laminate I was quoted. Not sure, however, if you do a lot of cooking/prepping, etc.

There are videos on how to install it, including using a hair dryer to heat it up.

Now, for a long run, it may not be much cheaper than IKEA. I do like their counters with the aluminum edging or the butcher block.

• dilly_ny
    9 years ago

Add some rattan

Here is a link that might be useful: Rattan stools

• dilly_ny
    9 years ago

I agree that painting cabs is harder than it looks.

I suggest you leave you cabinets bc they seem to be in good shape and it's pricey to replace. Instead, maybe get a few glass door uppers. Maybe then buy a yard of rattan look upholstery and put inside the glass.

Tommy Bahamas has a lot of dark wood furniture with beach look. Also, British West Indies decor.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rattan elements in dark wood kitchen

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

What about removing the doors from the uppers and putting wallpaper on the back?

Or a cool wallpaper as backsplash? (Nautical) maps?

and/Or turquoise/aqua wall paint

or any kind of blue, even a darker blue.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

oooohhhh....Ralph Lauren Nautical Chart wallpaper!

[Traditional Wallpaper[(https://www.houzz.com/products/traditional-wallpaper-prbr1-br~t_500~s_2107)

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

That's so cool!

Scrappycat, if you go ahead with the instant granite (marble), can you post about your experience?

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Hi scrappykat: Any updates?