Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dakota01

Sofa Table or Desk??

dakota01
12 years ago

Just to mix things up in my new FR - I was thinking about using a desk rather than sofa table behind my floating couch.

I saw this in a book that was for small room decorating. While my FR isnt' small, I would like to incorporate a place to use my laptop that would be comfortable for me.

I've looked at sofa tables,consoles, etc. but it is hard to find them with a drawer to stash the laptop.

Just wondering if anyone else has multi-purposed this way and if you have photos please share so I can get an idea of how it may look.

I would like the "desk" "table" to be 24 to 30 inches max.

Thanks

Comments (11)

• forhgtv
    12 years ago

I don't have any current pictures, but I linked some images below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Desk Behind Sofa

• justgotabme
    12 years ago

I think that's a great idea Jeannie. If there's a TV in your family room you'd most likely have view of that from your desk too. I often watch TV while online so that would be a plus for me.
    Here's a few pictures I found by Googling images for "desk behind sofa".

Here is a link that might be useful: More at Apartment Therapy

• jakabedy
    12 years ago

West Elm specializes in loft/apartment-sized furniture. I shopped there when hunting for a desk for a home office, but decided against them because they were too shallow for my needs (laptop docking station, double monitors). As I recall, they were pretty much all just 24" deep and about 48" wide.

I checked just now and there is a parsons-style desk (like justgotabme's last photo) with shallow drawers. It comes in various finishes. I think a parsons table works in just about any decor.

Here is a link that might be useful: West Elm

• tuesday_2008
    12 years ago

Love, love that idea...I'm jealous - my sofa has to sit against the wall.

• cliff_and_joann
    12 years ago

I sure like that idea of a small desk behind the sofa.
    I wanted something as well for my laptop, but wanted
    it to be by my comfy wing chair in our family room.
    So I drew up a laptop table and we set off to our workshop
    to make me a table. I was delighted with the results and
    often use this table to pay bills and everything else I need to do.
    I'll try and get you a new pic or two of my 'comfort zone.'

• dakota01
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the responses, photo's and links. Now, I just have to go about finding the right look, size, color, etc.

I am going to do metal and glass (tranistional) style tables and entertainment console, so I have to get all these pieces to blend, but not be too matchy, matchy...that will be a nightmare for me..

Since my sofa is a warm neutral yellow/beige and my 2 chairs flankng the fp are turquise, citrine, green and different shades of all these, another chair will be a solid turquise, I'm thinking maybe a painted piece might be nice. Even if it's wabasi, or a citron color, just for yet another pop of color. Or maybe make it a neutral color wood, but put turquise glass lamps on it...

I hate making decisions...but, you girls helped me decide that yes, I can put a small console/desk behind my sofa and it will look fine...if I pick the right one, it will be better than fine!

• always1stepbehind
    12 years ago

I love that idea. I am currently doing the opposite, looking for sofa table to use as a desk. It will go in my dining area on a wall behind the dining table so I need something slim like a sofa table.

• dakota01
    Original Author
    12 years ago

From what I'm seeing you can get a sofa table/console w/a drawer, so that if the drawer is large enough a laptop could go in there.. I also want something slim - not too "desky" looking..

• cliff_and_joann
    12 years ago

I have to fight everyone for my command station.

all kidding aside this is it...everything is at my fingertips including a backyard view and TV.
    The table is just right, and doesn't take up a heap up space.

this is the best I can do on a rainy day.

• mary_lu_gw
    12 years ago

Jeannie, I think it is a great idea. That way you are still a part of everything going on and won't feel isolated.

Joann, love your comfort zone. I do a set up very similar in our sitting room during the winter. Everything within view and/or reach, TV, fire, etc. Have to ask, is that an owl I see peeking out of the fireplace?

• cliff_and_joann
    12 years ago

Hi Mary lu...they are owl antique iron andirons with green
    glass eyes. They were my hubby's
    grandpa's andirons from his fireplace in his den.
    When we have a fire going -- the eyes sparkle.