Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nosoccermom

Split style: What do I do?

nosoccermom
9 years ago

I like wood and white, antique/contemporary, nothing ornate. So, for the longest time I've been looking for a farm table, kind of like these:

pine, oak, medium wood.

The issue is that it's either too short, too long, apron too low, etc. or 12K.

Every now and then, I've been checking at Arhaus, where the Taos table invariably attracts me. However, at over 3K, I didn't feel I needed to pull the trigger. Once at 1500.00 I ordered it but changed my mind.
Now it's 700.00 on sale.
Wood color is the one in the middle below.

[Traditional Dining Tables[(https://www.houzz.com/products/traditional-dining-room-tables-prbr1-br~t_452~s_2107) by Bedford Furniture & Accessories Arhaus"

In real life, the pedestal doesn't look as massive because it's more hidden under the top.

Sizewise it would work because no legs are in the way.

I want to combine it with white linen slip covered parsons chairs and an antique Heriz rug.

It's obviously more contemporary/Asian, so how does this jive with my farmhouse/country choices? Split personality styles? Or is there common denominator the rustic/straight lines?

Do I get it, or keep on looking for the elusive table?

Comments (19)

• mclarke
    9 years ago

Maybe the pedestals wouldn't LOOK massive, but they would certainly interfere with your legs and feet. In a massive kind of way.

My cynical guess is that the table is on sale because although it LOOKS beautiful, it isn't functional. They probably get a lot of returns on this table.

Try sitting at your dining room table with a cardboard box on the floor under the table, three inches in front of your toes.

Keep looking... it's out there...

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Love the top, don't care for the pedestals/legs, though. However, if you love them, $700 strikes me as a deal for that table. Would the two squares on the top, which clearly have something to do with attaching the pedestals, bother you?

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

It seems like a compromise on your style as you seem to long for farmhouse. I would keep looking,waiting.

However, you have been doing so for a LONG time so maybe get it, it's not that expensive and if the perfect table does show up you could sell it for probably 350.

I have the Pb sumner farmhouse table, it was 1500, the wood is not ancient and rubbed but for the price, the size is ideal and it is still a very nice table. It can seat ten with the aprons.
    It is not exactly what I long for, but I don't think I can afford that.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

Did you look at the annecy small extension table at arhaus? I like that a lot. It's on sale for 900.

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Actually, the pedestals are far enough back so that they don't interfere with legs. I tried. And, no, that insert on top wouldn't bother me.
    Yes, I looked at the Annecy and whatever else they have. The issue with the Annecy table is that the legs are too close together when unextended.

Maybe I'll have yet another look at it.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I think it's a nice table and would fit in....but I would take another look and actually sit in front of the pedestals...or better yet take the tallest person you know with you and have him/her sit there. If you're ok with the leg room then go for it. The price is right and you may not find your dream table for 5 years. Even if you only hang onto it for a few years, you won't have sunk a small fortune into it so selling it for a few hundred would be ok.

• rgps
    9 years ago

I really think those honkin big clunky legs are very trendy and in a few years you will be posting on the woodworking site asking how to cut them down to a more classic size.

• julieboulangerie
    9 years ago

I don't think it's farmhouse enough.

I bought a dining room table from these guys and couldn't be happier. The price was under $1,000, probably closer to $800.

Here is a link that might be useful: Antico Furniture

• mclarke
    9 years ago

You say you like "wood and white" and an antique look.

Sorry if this is too pedestrian, but PotteryBarn has this one:

There are a lot of farmhouse -style tables out there with plank tops and white legs. Does this style appeal to you?

• peony4
    9 years ago

NSM, if the Taos table works ergonomically, then I believe you can make it fit with a farmhouse style. If it were a darker shade, it may look more Asian, but the color of the wood is more mid-tone rustic-y. Also, the base would be less noticeable, as you note, esp. with slipcovered chairs (which are decidedly more country in style, as well).

Seems like you've been looking long enough. $700 is a good deal. Get it, set it up with the chairs and rug, place an arrangement of fall wildflowers on top, and enjoy.

• deegw
    9 years ago

That table is a good price but it is pretty far away in style from the ones you posted. We looked for an antique farm table for a long time and ended up having one made from reclaimed wood. It was less than $1500.

You can order tops, aprons and legs from someplace like the link below and have someone put it together for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Matthew Burak

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

I personally just have never liked the look of that table and I agree it's far from farmhouse.
    Have you considered having a local woodcrafter make one for you, they can use reclaimed old lumber, very beautiful and spot on farmhouse. I would try that instead of getting a table that you are not in love with.

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

I agree on finding someone local. Even at our local antique mall, there are vendors who do this. Last time we were there, a family was buying a huge farmhouse table.

• akl_vdb
    9 years ago

I would try to find someone local as well. We were looking high and low for a wood headboard. We had one made for us (and now he's doing a bit of a skirt for us) and it was about 1/2 the price of one we could find in a store. And custom.

• theclose
    9 years ago

You don't love it. Don't buy it.

• edie_thiel
    9 years ago

If you continue to look at the high-price tables, maybe you should consider having one made for you. That way, you can have exactly what you want with the dimensions that you want. Won't have to worry about veneers over hardwood; you would have the wood type and stain that you want.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

NSM, give Levi a call at this Web site. He's a really good guy. His prices have gone way up since I dealt with him, so he must be doing well. But he's the sweetest guy. He can make you a table with your design. You can brainstorm with him about what you want. And his prices are very reasonable. He's in Montana. I'm going to order a headboard for my bed from him. Tell him the woman from Cape Cod referred you, the one he dealt with about three years ago. He should remember.

Here is a link that might be useful: Levi at lonepinelodgepole

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

DH, who usually has no opinion, thinks it's ugly and reminds him of a 1970s conference table.

I guess I'll keep on looking :) Thanks for all the leads.

• lyfia
    9 years ago

Look at unfinished furniture places. I have a butcher block table that came with a choice of legs. I had space issues and needed a narrow table compared to standard. They had different sizes and I also have two expansion leaves.