Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Okay so I bought a rug. At 1am last night.

mtnrdredux_gw
10 years ago

DH convinced me to, because it is one of a kind and, if it looks like I think it does, I just might make all of my other decisions around it (more on timing decor decisions later).

If it doesn't look like I think it does, or doesn't work in the space, I will return it and then traipse into NYC and go thru the rug dance. I hate sitting and watching those guys lift back a hundred rugs. You just wanna say, ok, yes, stop with the dust! But at least I will have a vision of what I want ...

I am embarrassed to say that I bought a "one of a kind vintage" rug from ... Restoration Hardware. Huh? One thing I can be sure of, I don't think it was any bargain!

Here's what I like about it: i love the colors, its faded quality, and I love the fact that it is a runner! It will be the first thing that you see when you walk in the room, and it will lead to the steps. It's like a painting on the floor. For the furniture grouping, I will do large seagrass or sisal or jute (not nearly as costly as finding a similar sized rug, easy to find and customize, and I won't wince when we run floor outlets through it). I can even have the cleaning people roll the pricey runner up and put it away if we were to rent it out.

At the same time, I ordered RH Drapery panels to test. I had dinner at a friend's on Saturday and I really liked her RH panels, and it reminded me to look at their stuff. I like the wide beachy stripes. It will probably be less than custom, as well. My only concern is that I wanted to use a lot of drapery material on all the windows and french doors, to help cover the dark panelling. Will it look like you have been saltwater-taffied?

Other moodboard elements --- I still have my duck egg fabric, which might go on the ottomans, throwpillows and DR window seat. The paint I had chosen, FnB Teresa's Green, appears to go very well with the drapes. Of course, I need to see all of this in real life ... but I like the direction for now. The armoire represents the panelling in the room. I'm also thinking vintage ginger jar lamps. The distressed pink rug is still in the photo because i do want to bring that color in to the room. Maybe I will go whacky and do something like paint the wooden arms of an armchair that color, and then slipcover in white linen.

So, here she is:
{{!gwi}}

PS
In re the order of decorating. Everyone says to choose paint last, but I chose it first. I remember why now; FnB has a very narrow palette! If you want their paints, you kind of have to start with that choice. I also trusted their "editing" such that I prefer to be constrained to colors they offer. I can decide to forego FnB, but I hope the color I like so far will end up working.

Comments (62)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pipdog, Thank you, I'm so glad people liked it. Although I always like to do my legwork on line first, I don't usually buy that much online, especially a rug! Dying for it to arrive now. (will reread Annie's patience post)

Tinam, Eandhl, HollyKay, KSWL, thank you for your votes!

SueB,
    Thank you! I love your beachhome. It has a great vibe and it just offbeat enough to be interesting.

Thanks, I will go look at Rejuvenation. I certainly don't like to spend money if I don't have to. Last time around I think I spent far more then necessary on lighting, and part of that is just where you let yourself shop!

As for the pink overdyed, RugsUSA and Overstock both have them, but they get very bad reviews. I saw some at Lillian August here in CT, but when I get my runner I will take it with me to ABC in NYC and make sure I get just the right pink (for other runners in the room .... the main area will have sisal or something ropey and golden).

PS SueB, Do you know any high end glass places near you? Trying to find someone who can make a glass shower enclosure with muntins. No luck in ME so far.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, forgot to ask about this light. Is it weird too mount this on a mirror?

{{!gwi}}

• jrueter
    10 years ago

I love how your room is coming together! Great job!!

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Oh I loved that last one on your other thread -- but thought you had found it, lol (now see Anele had posted it). I also think a patterned natural rug would look great. Some have varying tones to them, either subtle or not.

No doubt you know what you're doing but I'll note anyway to try not to have somewhat equal proportions of your colors. Vary how much of each.

Will look forward to seeing your room come together. It will be a great eclectic mix! So fun to see.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 15:03

• kam76
    10 years ago

Oh wow I am having rug envy! That runner is amazing and I was loving the over dyed pink so I am glad you are still going to use that color. What is FnB paint?

The milk glass sconces are beautiful. I don't think it would be weird to mount the candle sconce on a mirror, give you a double light effect.

• lazydaisynot
    10 years ago

The golden coral sconce is wonderful. I'm not crazy about the cream beaded lamp. I like the idea of it but maybe not the choice of materials. It looks almost plastic-y in the photo. I realize that it might look very different when viewed IRL, though.

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Like the runner! Still not sold on the pink rug, I'm not sure why (if it's nicely faded, entirely different matter). I do think both will look lovely with the dark wood.

I fell for these sconces a while ago on Houzz:

[Traditional Family Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-family-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_720~s_2107) by Bedford Architects & Designers LKM Design

They were quite reasonable. If you reach out to the designer, she will provide a quote.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jreuter, thanks!

Snookums, point well taken. I think the most dominant colors will be the wood and the white linen on no less then six armchairs about the room and on the sofa... I think the least prominent color will be the punches of raspberry (as Annie calls it, and I think is apt, as it is less blue then fuchsia and hot pink imho)

Kam, FnB is Farrow and Ball

Oldbat2Be,

I have two types of sconce needs:

1. adjustable downlights for reading (they cannot be as long as the ones you show because of the height of the panelling), and

2. sconces for ambient light. I am putting slightly aged mirror over the fireplace, inset into the molding. I want to mount two sconces on the mirror. Those are the pair that is harder to decide on. I was looking at the beaded styles or the coral one (until i saw $7600 for the pair, alas!) or the last one. I like the last ones a lot, and they are dirt cheap.

Here is a horrible mock up.

{{!gwi}}

• eandhl
    10 years ago

I forgot to mention, I agree with your husband on the last light in your first group of pictures, cream color cascading beads. I like the last sconces.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

I love your rug and hope it looks like the photo, your color choices are lovely and interesting. They remind me a little of Jonathan Adler"s beach house rooms. I'm attaching link. I always get little ideas from his photos. He knows how to keep a room fresh.

Here is a link that might be useful: J. Adler

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL, Eandhl, why would he mind a bordello? Better than being a Gardenweb widower.

Yayagal, Thank you, I take that as a high compliment. It was actually thoughts of Adler that had me toying with orange in previous moodboards!

• shanghaimom
    10 years ago

Here are two earring choices for your fireplace mirror....

All the sconces are VC E.F. Chapman--I didn't notice that your brass choice is, too, until I came back to post. Visual Comfort always wins!

I know you're not planning on blue and white chairs. Just threw it in because it was already in my library and it looked pretty with the rug and b&w porcelain.

• juddgirl2
    10 years ago

1am is a great time to buy a rug (says the woman surfing online at 2:30 am). It's beautiful - love the faded, subdued colors of the rug and all your other choices.

I'd like to see the Teresa Green in your space. Since it's my namesake, I've been wanting to try it somewhere in my house (maybe on a piece of furniture?).

This post was edited by juddgirl2 on Tue, Oct 1, 13 at 5:35

• lazydaisynot
    10 years ago

Shanghaimom, I've always loved your kitchen. Love your choices above, too.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

I'm wondering if the sconces would look better tying more traditionally to the house rather than modern or funky.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Mtnrd...is this your fabric??

DH and I went to the dentist together and while he was being worked on, I went fabric shopping and came across the above ...it's a duralee fabric, but I can't remember the name. It sure looked like your fabric, or very similar. If you are interested, he has a huge bolt of it and only wants $9.99 a yard...only thing is the scale is fairly large...wasn't sure of the scale of yours. But it has the same colors.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Mtn'dux, your taste is exquisite! I looked at the antique washed rugs while at the Round Top Antique Show last weekend, and they really are beautiful~i 'admired' a gold one, but had no pace for it. While I love your fabric choice, I think I like the one Annie posted even more since it's minus the large flowers. It doesn't have the cottage feel you might be wanting, but the price sure is right.

Can't wait to see the completed project. Do you have a tie frame?

• Jamie
    10 years ago

Hard to tell about duck egg blue, but I just got 10 panels of these jcp/cindy Crawford at big lots and they are practically free, flannel interlined, and washable (but only 84" at the store near me). I'd never suggest using a lesser quality than you really want to, but it's a good option if you're going to rent. (I didn't follow that thread all the way -- don't know what you decided)

I was afraid my favorite lamp, which is staying whether it works or not, did not look good with the duck egg.

close up of temporary hang to see if I can handle that much of that color.

This post was edited by jamies on Tue, Oct 1, 13 at 15:55

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Shanghai, I love the pillow in your moodboard! I picked out the same porthole-like sconces! But the ones I showed above, with the metal work, were on sale.... dirt cheap ... so I ordered them just to see.

Juddgirl, FnB has a new catalogue out, and in it it has this photo. This version is washed out I notice. But I think TG looks great on trim, so yes, why not a piece of furniture? I may do that too.

Snookums,
    That's the tricky part. I don't want everything to be from the same era or style or even to be a perfect color match. It's a lot harder to pull off! I find this (Maine) house from HB interesting, below. I always wonder, if you or I did that, instead of a name designer, would people still think it works? I mean ... two kinds of Chintz, a mix of Moroccan, Victorian and Saarinen? Oh and sherbet peach and lavender accents? Sometimes I think all it takes is confidence! (PS I don't love this room but don't hate it either)

Annie, that fabric is just beautiful! It's not the same but so close. I think my background is greener and lighter; very watercolory. This background looks a bit bluer. I know you think I am crazy impatient, but even I know it is too soon to buy the fabric. Only 9 days to closing and plus I need to see anything with the rug.

Thank you, Patty!

Jamies, nice buy! They look great. I think my windows need pattern though, since the furniture is all white linen and the largest area rug is sisal.

Latest moodboard and layout:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• shanghaimom
    10 years ago

lol mtn!

That pillow is on Layla Grace right now. (one-of-a-kind.) They had another one that would be just as pretty with your choices. The soft aqua is hard to find with pink!

Since you're into snapping up one-of-a-kinds lately.... (-:

• msrose
    10 years ago

Did you get the rug yet? Did I miss pictures?

• pugga
    10 years ago

First of all, I love that rug.

Next, while I know you're going in a different direction with your room, I just found these chairs (among other choices) and I thought of you. While not exactly chintz, I thought they give sort of the playful nod to chintz and could be an inspiration to what you might like for the chairs you plan to use.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• pugga
    10 years ago

here's another example:

Here is a link that might be useful:

• pugga
    10 years ago

and yet one more:

• pugga
    10 years ago

Okay, now that I've figured out how to post the image itself, here's the first chair:

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

I'm in a dead swoon! Pugga, those are TDF!
    Probably won't work for mtrdredux now, but they are fabulous.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

Yummy chairs...where are they from?

• alex9179
    10 years ago

Ooooh, that last one would work for me, pugga! Another idea for reupholstering that will frustrate me because I can't find similar fabrics on a shoestring budget :)

• pugga
    10 years ago

I'm with you, alex. I'd love to do something like these.

I found these at The Artful Home website:

Here is a link that might be useful: Artful Home

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I know The Artful Home (where the Kinzig lamps I posted for Holly-kay were) has had chairs like that. I loved those, too, but tend more toward plain (adore Mtn's white/neutral palette). There is a bohemian in there somewhere, though since I am always drawn to things like those chairs! Since she is branching out (it seems), perhaps she will sneak one of those in somewhere! ;)

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

I just lost about an hour and a half in Mary Lynn O'Shea's Home Dec site, Molly Rose Designs.
    She also is a weaver who's been making Art-to-Wear clothing for years. You can find that on Mary Lynn O'Shea.com
    Amazing stuff.
    I just love this site (GW). New directions to think about now. (yet still keeping with original vision - must write a vision statement for this house!)

Here is a link that might be useful: MollyRoseDesigns

• bananafana
    10 years ago

OH MY! Those chairs! Love.

I saw on the MollyRoseDesigns link from above, that the fabrics are available for $90/yd. Many colorways.

That's not what I usually pay for fabric, but I would bite the bullet for this gorgeous stuff. Amazing.

• lazydaisynot
    10 years ago

Wow. Those fabrics on Molly Rose are gorgeous. I think they could find a home at mtn's new oceanfront home, even with the new concept. In addition to the wonderful colorways and designs available, the texture they add would be a nice complement for the woodwork IMO.

This makes me realize that I think the woodwork calls for some fabrics with...patina. That's the wrong word, but I feel that textured fabrics that suggest richness and age need to be incorporated in the plan. Surely the one-of-a-kind pink-leaning rug does that. I had thought previously of a velvet mohair somewhere, not on a fussy piece but more clean-lined. I wonder what room from my past compels me to envision these types of fabrics for mtn's home!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

MsRose,
    No, I haven't gotten it. Originally it said shipping Oct 13 but they keep pushing it back! Now they say it will ship Nov 3.

Pugga, Those are soooo cool, love them. But I am afraid they would reinforce the house's fuddy duddy tendencies, rather than temper them. They would probably work better someplace modern!

Mlweaving, No, i don't think these will work. I've been committed to my new color scheme for about a week now so we will see how it goes, LOL!

Cyn, thanks.

Lazydasiynot, I get what you are saying. The problem is that I am really relying on fabric to brighten and lighten. Patina will have to come from other things ... eg the wooden legs on the chairs, and aged mirror ... old lamps, antique delft tile.

• lazydaisynot
    10 years ago

Mtn, yes, I know what you mean. These floral chairs are out of my typical range of interest but if you have any inclination to take a look, there are styles on the website that are more straightforward and non-fuddy. The Margaret's vine fabric is beautiful and might work with your new look, perhaps in a pair of chairs in one of the alcoves. But I understand you may have moved past this point, which is good because it means progress and a more certain vision!

• funkyart
    10 years ago

I haven't been following your journey all that closely the past few weeks but wow, I am so glad I checked in! I love the new direction and it has me even more excited for my own project. While my space couldn't be more different from yours, I am also battling the weight of heavy browns (wood case goods and dark leather in my case)-- and just last weekend, I'd decided to toss out my design boards and bring in raspberry and pinks to soften the dark browns. Your design board is inspiring-- what a fun and beautiful way to lighten the seriousness of your wood paneling. And I feel a little silly and presumptuous saying this, but it also seems a perfect fit for your personality.

LOVE the runner.. but i am confused. Did you say that you are dropping the overdyed pink rug? It IS fun but I could more easily see the sisal (love the patterned sisals) with pinks in other, unexpected places. I forget who suggested it, but I love the idea of a bit of pink mohair and/or a chair frame ala Bee as you mentioned.

I have to say that I love the gold coral lamps-- yes, the price is grand but so would be the impact. You need that, I think, to stand up to the fireplace/paneling.I am not suggesting you spend $7000 for sconces.. but I think you need something with similar impact. I am not getting that from the other gold sconces.

You're definitely on a roll.. thanks for taking us along for the ride! More personally, thanks for spurring on my own plans for pink!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

For those of you playing along at home, you will recall that I have changed my plan for the LR. But I still love the rug and thought it could still work, or worst case go in my MBR. I have eagerly awaited it.

Except, it does not exist and I am really pissed.

You may recall that the rug is from Restoration Hardware's "one of a kind" rug collection. I ordered it as soon as I saw it, since it was "one of a kind".

Initially it was supposed to arrive in 2-3 weeks. I kept getting emails pushing out the date. Then I got an email giving me a tracking number and saying it had been shipped. I waited and waited, then emailed them yesterday.

They replied "I appreciate you taking the time to write and sincerely apologize for any confusion with your order. I can confirm that we were unable to fulfill your order, as these rugs had sold out prior to your order being completed. ...Also, the refund of your order has been initiated, which you will be able to view on your American Express card ending in ....."

First of all, "these rugs"? Second of all, it took you TWO months to figure this out? Third of all, you charged my card before you shipped it?

I should never have believed it. And their letter should have read:

"Oh, man? Did you order this thing? We have no idea where it is. I hate to break the news. I'm not sure we ever even had it. Do you know how big our warehouses are? I told them this was a bad idea, but no, they wanted to do the vintage thing and act all boutique-y. I have no idea what this shipping stuff was all about, but there's nothin' to track. We got nothing. Happy Thanksgiving, though, and we won't charge you for this."

• deeinohio
    10 years ago

Thanks, mtn. That's the funniest thing I've read in a long time, and I needed a laugh as I'm a bit down as I face my first Thanksgiving without my dad.

All of us here understand the long process of deciding something as major as a rug purchase, and what a disappointment for you!

I haven't been in an RH store in years. The salespeople in my nearest RH are snooty, and disinclined to help. Among other things, the last time I was in there, a cluster of salespeople continued their private conversation after just glancing my way. I called to complain, and was told someone would get back to me; no one did so my money will not get back to them. I'm surprised they are still in business.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

lol, that's weird. Maybe they needed some quick cash flow and decided to sell some virtual one of a kind, buy it now, "hit" products. Creative accounting.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Mtn, I am so sorry for your disappointment! I would be tempted to shoot an email back saying, "liar, liar, pants on fire". What in the world is wrong with that place? You cannot generate a tracking number without a shipment as there has to be a package or something that was being sent.

I ordered a rug two weekends ago and it was to ship in a day or two. Well, here we are and no rug though my cc was conveniently charged on the 20th. I shot them an email yesterday but haven't checked my email yet today to see if they responded.

Hopefully you will find something you love even more. I have noticed that quite often that can be the case!

• eandhl
    10 years ago

Wow, just wow, I don't blame you for being very angry. This is unprofessional and just plain terrible business practice.

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

Ugh! Well, I can sort of relate. I ordered Arched Mission Pulls from Rejuvenation HW about 3 weeks ago, thinking they should be here by now since I ordered the knobs a couple of days later and they arrived today. I called this afternoon.
    Them: They are back-ordered. Me: Really? When were you going to inform me? Them: Ummmm....well we have to make them. Me: When were you going to tell me? Them: Ummmm....we don't have them in stock, we have to make them? (repeated a couple of times). Me: Can I talk to someone else?

'We' finally figured out it is going to be Dec 24 (yeah, right!) when they will be ready.

My bathroom cabinets are ready next week and the guy will be installing them in a couple of weeks...without pulls but with knobs. Grrrrrr!!!!

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Heads up, Outside Playing. Make sure it is 500% clear that all hardware has not arrived yet and that pulls will be going on which specific cabinets -- for which he should not pre-drill. Or just wait until everything arrives.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Thu, Nov 28, 13 at 0:01

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dee, I'm glad it gave you a smile.

Outside Playing, This whole reno and decor business is so frustrating!

Thanks, Snookums, Eandhl.

Holly-kay, I love it .... Liar, Liar pants on fire! tee hee

• romy718
    10 years ago

I missed this in Sept (fully absorbed in the kitchen forum). Reading along tonight & so disappointed for you about the rug. Glad you had moved on to something else, rug wise. Wouldn't be at all surprised if Snookums quick cash flow theory is correct.

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

Don't mean to completely hijack this thread, but thank you Snookums. I will make sure they don't. Pulls are supposed to go on drawers and handles on doors, but I will make sure they don't pre-drill anything or wait.

Mtn, I do hate you didn't get your rug. These on-line orders can be so frustrating!!

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I seriously would send the email you composed to their CEO.

• User
    10 years ago

Sorry to say I am not at all surprised by RH's duplicity in pretending they are selling one of a kind rugs (or one of a kind anything, for that matter), or their incompetence in tracking their stock, their fake shipping dates and timely charging of your credit card. The company is a complete fraud, from the ground up, IMO. Honest catalog retailers state their wares are "unique" because the item being described is hand made and therefore the one that arrives may not look like the picture. RH seems to play fast and loose with that concept as their ad copy makes you believe that a featured item is truly the ONLY one like it. I always wondered how they could spend so much money showcasing single run new items or one of a kind vintage or antique things. Now it appears they have revealed their true business model to you.

I always thought their brand appealed to the yuppie worst in us all. I include myself in that, I'm sorry to say. I have purchased a curtain rod from RH about seven years ago and probably would have bought other things as well, but after receiving their massive catalog missives decided not to do business with them any more.

• MarinaGal
    10 years ago

Those RH people are on crack. Seriously. They lost me a long time ago. Sorry for your frustration..... In my opinion they owe you more than an apology (not that you will get any more from them....)

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

I'm still trying to figure out how they stay in business with their reputation slowly going down the tubes. I'll give them a couple more years then it's
    b'bye. Sorry about the rug, mtd'dux, the picture *was* beautiful, and maybe that's all that ever existed, just a picture. ;o)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm