Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Curtains for boys bedroom - help please!

Posted by riff3 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 11, 12 at 10:17

I am updating DS2's bedroom from his old PBkids space themed room. He didn't want me to change his blue and green striped walls. Also, he only likes quilts, not duvets. I bought a basic navy PBkids quilt. Am recovering his padded headboard with striped navy/white fabric - picture shows it draped over but not stapled on yet.

What should I do for his curtains? He has only 1 window. Have brought home plain navy panels from target and JCP - they are so thin and skimpy. Attached picture shows 2 target panels on 1 side of window, that is how skimpy they are. Plus the navy with the plain navy quilt looks so blah. I know his room already has a lot going on, but he is 12 and likes color/pattern. I tried white cotton drapes from PB, but they just looked out of place - too much white without anything tying them to the rest of the room. He likes curtains to pull over the blinds at night as his room gets much morning sun.

Ideas I've thought of include making a box cornice out of striped fabric and putting it over the skimpy navy drapes, or adding a white ribbon to the edge of the navy drapes. Any other ideas are welcome. Maybe a pattern or herringbone or something? Do I go with navy or something else? A 63" that hits at the end of the window molding or 84"?
Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Curtains for boys bedroom - help please!

Here is the picture of his window. The room is enormous, but only 1 small window. However, he has a LOT of stuff in there too.

o

I would return the skimpy navy draperies and buy another yard of navy and make a boxed cornice. Then find some space themed fabric and make some draperies for that window that are not skimpy.
You say he wants a space theme....and so far I see none...nor any pattern. So for a few dollars of fabric he could have his space theme room and still have a basic blue comforter and striped headboard.

o

I think it looks good with just the blinds - no curtains.

o

Sorry if my post was confusing - he does NOT want a space themed room. His old room was space theme, and I kept the green/blue walls.

We don't want any themes now. He wants curtains, the white blinds don't block enough sun. Comment was don't see any pattern - what pattern should I add with the navy stripe and checked toybox and striped walls? I am very open to suggestions.

o

How about something like this?

o

Horizontal stripes like the headboard?

o

How about Pottery Barn Kids navy blackout curtains? They are lined and heavy and I think they would look more generous on the window than the JCP ones you bought. They also have some new patterns out that your son might like. There is a navy pattern with thin pinstripes. There is also a navy gingham but your son might find that too babyish. Country Curtains has a navy check curtain as well but I would make sure they are lined so they aren't too skimpy.

o

FYI, same problem here and I bought draperies and there was still too much morning light. I needed lined panels. Like your idea of navy panels with with white. Penney's in my go to for draperies these days.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here