Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mirandajae

Can I get floor plan help here?

mirandajae
9 years ago

We are finally finishing our basement! We aren't sure how to do the layout though. When we built the house a few years ago we had to try to plan ahead since we have geothermal heating. So I have a general idea of where the bathroom would go, and obviously we have a whole spot for the utilities. There's a support wall and that's about it! I'd love to have a few creative people take a look at the blank plan and see if they have any ideas of how to utilize the space. I have posted this in basements (no reply) and in building a home, but I'm not exactly getting the right answers there (more concerned with whether it's insulated, etc).

Comments (3)

• madeyna
    9 years ago

Can you post a picture of the area. The people here are great at this sort of thing and seem to enjoy helping

• mirandajae
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sure can! I didn't want to plug up the forum with my nonsense if it wasn't the appropriate place. :)

This is a rough draft of what is already existing in the basement. We have 2 egress windows already in place and a sliding glass door that goes out to a patio. The wall in the middle is just framed in (support wall). The toilet is just symbolic of where our bathroom plumbing is (it's just a hole in the ground with insulation stuffed in it right now). We had to plan ahead because of our geothermal heating. So hubby basically picked a spot right below the bathroom upstairs and had them put it there because we had no idea what to do at that point 4 years ago!

All of the circles/squares are our utilities, freezer, geothermal pump, etc. We'd obviously put a wall on the other side of it to close it in. I wish it was in the corner of the house, but we kind of didn't have a choice due to our well water pressure and other things. It throws off the flow but it is what it is!

These are our "must haves":
    - Full Bathroom
    - Lounge area/Fireplace/Room for Big TV (above the fireplace maybe?)
    - Wet Bar
    - 2 Bedrooms
    - Creative storage utilizing the stairs
    - Storage room (for xmas tree, etc)
    - Crafting Area

We already have 2 egress windows in. Im up for putting another one in somewhere else if it's necessary though.

• madeyna
    9 years ago

I can,t find my glasses at the moment so I am cann,t see the footage . That give though I think I would start by putting the two bedrooms in the larger boxed off area the craft room in the corner by the bedrooms and the bathroom where it is ruffed in with a hallway leading past it to the bedrooms and the craftroom. I would also add in a washer and dryer space near the bathroom with a wet bar facing out towards the stairway. If your water heater is located in the utility area then walling it off and adding a small laundry room there with a wet bar on the outside of it would be ideal instead of on the other side. That would give anyone going in and out the sliding door easy access to water drinks ect. The rest of the space could be used as a family room