Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellienoelle

Let's talk curtains

kellienoelle
10 years ago

I have typically been more of a bare windows gal, but I think I want to add some window treatments in my dining room. I think it will make it much more polished and finished. However, there are some challenges (of course). First, my MIL is quite a seamstress. I am thinking of asking her to make for me (haven't asked yet so she could say no), so would like to select something that isn't too complicated . Having never touched a sewing machine, I don't know what that means. I can assume a triple pinch pleat is a bit labor intensive, but don't know that for sure. Second, the windows on the side wall butt up right against the other walls, and a door on one side. Not a lot of space to work with. Here are some pictures.....and if you have suggestions that go outside of window treatments, I'm all ears. This is a new for us house (well, a few months back) so everything we have came from our old house (except for the Oushak rug, that is new and will be sticking around). I do like the paint color so would like it to stick around too.

First off, the side wall so you can see the placement of the windows (and your eyes aren't playing tricks on you, yes that IS an electric green house about an arms length away)

And one with the blinds (pre-rug) closed since my iphone doesn't like shooting into the light
{{!gwi}}

And the window that looks to the front

For fabric, I want a pattern, but here is where I get stumped. Nothing to formal, the house is old (1920 colonial) but my style is more casual, I guess transitional if you wanted to label it. But then again, I also love toile, so who knows. I browsed curtain fabrics a bit and I like something like this but have a hard time thinking of how they would look as curtains. I also worry that this is my chance to add something spectacular with an awesome print and am wimping out on something simple because I am overwhelmed with choice. As another option, I used to drool over KevinMP's silk striped drapes.

Still with me.....so, ideas for types of curtains for DIY,rods in an awkward space, and fabric please.

Comments (39)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

You already have the blinds, so I wouldn't do curtains, but I'd do a valance to cover up the hardware at top and to add softness to the room. If you do just a valance, it will minimize the issue of where to put the drape that's up against the wall. It will also block less light than a full blown drape will.

There are many easy to make valances, and they require a lot less fabric than drapes and are faster and easier to sew as there's just less to do.

This balloon valance is extremely easy to do.

As were the mock hobbled roman shade valance.

The valance in the bedroom was also easy

As was the pick-up valance in the guest room

For drapes, it couldn't get easier than what I did in the study, which is just a flat lined panel with clip rings. I made triangles of fabric with tassels hanging off and clipped those to the front.

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Annie - thanks for the response. I first accidentally posted this in kitchens and have gotten some good feedback there and have since decided that I will likely need something different on the side windows vs the front windows. I had just mentioned using a "topper" on the sides, now I will just need to find a valance that I like. I think I do want panels on that front window though to add some drama, texture, and pattern. I really like the simple flat panels on rings that you did, and that has got to be pretty simple to make! Do you have a long shot pic?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

You have nice large windows in a room with 8' ceilings and your selection of furniture so far is a mix of somewhat traditional,( the rug) and transitional (the dining set). I'm assuming that you want this room to be special, and not like a kitchen dining area.

Valances or window toppers will visually shorten the room & make it appear more casual. Drapes will make the room more formal and visually taller. The room seems too small to do different window solutions on each wall.

Fabricating drapes, regardless of your skill level, is an enormous, labor intensive job to do correctly. It's why drapery panels with elaborate pleating at the top are so very expensive.

I would suggest 96" panels mounted on rods for the windows. You could do rod pocket panels that appear to be pinch pleats that sell at places like IKEA. Or do panels with grommets at the top if you'd like a more contemporary appearance.

I found 96" tall grommet panels at HomeGoods, the other day, in a lovely natural linen flax texture at $29.95 for 2 panels. I can't purchase the material to make them (6yards) for that price. The trick with using any of the ready made, off the shelf drapery solutions is to double up the panels on each side of the window to give a more luxurious appearance.

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Beverly, I like the visual. Here is the thing....I really really had my heart set on panels. That door to the left of one of the side windows is our coat closet (yep in the DR, gotta love old homes) so is probably accessed at least twice per day. I am having trouble with imagining how a panel would work there logistically.Here is a closer pic so you can see the dilemma. Any thoughts?

I hear ya on the fact that perhaps the room is too cozy to do two different types of treatments. I have been searching the internet and can't find anything. Perhaps that is because it is a design DON'T.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

Is the red - orange? - paint on the walls something you envision having for a long time?

Stationary panels with back tabs or clip rings would be easier than other choices, but they are still quite a bit of work to do given that you need 6 panels.

If I were you, I would look at all the ready mades that I could find - JCPenney, Country Curtains, Bed Bath and Beyond. With a seamstress in the family, you could get her to do the alterations without starting from scratch. This way is likely to be less expensive as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: JCPenny ready mades

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The walls are sort of an orange based red, while it probably wouldn't have been a color that I would have selected, I actually really like it in the room and currently have no plans to change it. If I am breaking out the brush, there are colorless rooms that I will focus attention on first. However, I would probably prefer not to use it as the primary color to match for drapes just in case I do decide to change it down the road.

Any thoughts on that door? I don't want to get my heart set on panels if they just aren't going to work. Then I would have to decide if I want to go the valence route, even though it wasn't my "vision". or just scrap the idea entirely and move on to one of the many other rooms that need decorating.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

kellienoelle,

Okay, about the closet. If you have the swing on the door reversed your problem is solved.

You have the closet door and then perhaps 2" of trim and 2" of wall before you hit the other wall, so a total of maybe 4-5". Unless you change the swing of the door, the panels will have to be carefully held away from the door to allow it to clear. I would call in a carpenter and have the door reversed.

Some drapery hardware have wall brackets that allow you to adjust the position of how far the rods & the panels extend out from the walls. Or since these panels will not be operational, the rods can be mounted with alternate generic hardware to keep them very close to the wall and away from the swing of the closet door.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

That corner is a bit of a problem, but you can work it out. You need to make sure that the door does not hit the rod when opened. But my guess is that with the door frame and the bit of wall, you have at least 6 inches there. As long as you don't get overly-heavy fabric with heavy lining and interlining and thick pleats, your fabric should stack into the corner OK. It's not ideal, but you can make it work. You are going to lose some light in the process.

It is going to be hard to find a fabric with that red/orange shade in it. You could go with a neutral and then have your MIL add some embellishments, such as piping down the sides.

I like what you posted a photo of and I think they would make nice panels. I'm not sure they go with anything in the room, though. It would look great with beige or tan or brown walls, but I don't see it with the red so much.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Not really good pics as the room is fairly tight, but you get the idea...really large window.

• southernstitcher
    10 years ago

I don't have any design input, but, I would like to give you some info on asking your MIL to undertake this. I hope I don't offend, but you did say that you have no idea of what it takes. I do sew - it's difficult and very labor intensive to do curtains. With custom curtains that will have piping, you usually have to make the piping as the store bought kind would not work - its too skinny and cheap looking. Without the right tools, even binding is very labor intensive.

Another thing to consider is the space needed to cut panels on square. The fabric has to be laundered first, pressed, then put on grain, and then cut on square. If you don't have a huge (and I mean huge) table, it's on the floor you go. That's if it's cotton or linen. If it's sheers or poly - then you have all the above, and difficulty in handling yards and yards of slippery difficult fabric.

I sew a LOT, and I did 108" long window treatments once in my life, and will never do that again!

Best of luck - I hope you find something you like. We are in the midst of a re-do right now. I eventually will make a quilt, but I found a gorgeous one on sale at JCP - which I highly recommend for curtains - including custom. They are VERY good at getting you the look you want for less. The only problem with my on sale quilt? The valence and curtains were NOT on sale, and are ridiculously expensive. Sigh. I guess I'll be making those after all.

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for the responses and ideas to remedy my corner problem. I'm excited to think that there is a fix so I don't have to bag the idea completely. Every problem has a solution, right?

Southernsticher - thanks for the feedback. Good to know as I certainly don't want to ask for an enormous undertaking! Based on your expertise, how difficult is it to do as Annie's pic with just clip rings. In my completely uneducated mind is it different than sewing a duvet maybe? I know that I could get pre-fabricated but was kind of excited about going through the process of fabric selection.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

All of the window treatments I posted, I made myself, so I can give you a sense of how difficult they are to do.

Making drapes vs. valances is more difficult only because they are bulkier to work with and because there are twice as many per window. But the sewing is not hard. I used no homemade piping on any of my window treatments. It's all straight stitching. The hardest part is probably calculating how much fabric you need, how many folds or pleats you need to cover the window properly.

As far as straightening the fabric, I have done it 2 ways...one by just ripping it as it will rip along the straight...I usually do that with the lining fabric, or by pulling a thread which will pull along the straight and then I cut along the pull. So that part is relatively easy.

The other consideration is, I used a rod with finials, but it doesn't look like you will have space for that style rod on the window against the wall, so you will have to investigate what rod may work for your situation.

In the case of the window treatment with clip rings, it is truly a lined rectangle with buckram at the top for stiffening. The folds come with the spacing of the clips along the rectangle. Easy peasy.

But it is a commitment on the part of the sewist, so only go there if she's enthusiastic about making them. If she isn't, then you can buy plenty of ready made that will meet your needs...jcpenney, smith and noble, country curtains....

• southernstitcher
    10 years ago

kellienoelle,

My intention was not to discourage you at all, but just to keep some things in mind. I have no idea of what sort of sewing your MIL has done in the past. Some of us do all types of sewing, and some have never ventured into home dec, and would be reluctant to do so for someone else's home. I agree with Annie - proceed only if she really seems enthusiastic. Otherwise, if you want to choose your fabrics, JCP has a great custom drapery dept with many, many fabric choices, and they can guide you.

Annie has already answered you on the clip rings, and the difficulty of doing the ones she posted. I do think that it's the length of the curtains and the hand of the fabric that can present difficulties. You may not be choosing sheer slipery fabrics, so not an issue for you.

Annie is right in that if the fabric is something like quilting cotton or lighter, you can rip it to get it on grain. If you are going to use home dec fabric, make sure that it is a good quality so that it is already on grain.

The pre-treatment of your fabric is going to depend on the fabric itself. It's just you need to watch for potential shrinkage, and to remove the finish that is typically applied to fabric. The finish makes the fabric easier to work with and makes it look good on the bolt, but it will come out when you wash, and sometimes changes the hand, so that may affect the outcome of your final project. In other words, if you choose a cotton and don't pre wash -- then when it's time to wash the project you could have shrinkage, bleeding, or a totally different hand afterwards. However, a good press with starch basically puts that finish back in.
    Bleeding can be taken care of with those Color Saver sheets found where you shop for groceries, typically by the fabric softener sheets. Just some precautions there!
    When I think drapes, I think LONG - so she may or may not have to get on the floor. Totally depends on the length. Sometimes a local quilt store will allow customers to use their long tables for cutting - so that may be a solution. Mine lets you do so for free if you purchased the fabric from them, or are a long time customer, or pay a small fee. Totally worth it!

I hear you on choosing your own fabric - lots of fun! Just be sure to take her with you to choose, and have an idea of what style or look you are going for. Sometimes a certain look is going to call for that fabric to have a certain "hand". You MIL will know. Have fun!!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I've not read everything, but I vote for panels, especially in a Dining room. I think having a long expense of fabric is prettier and more formal.

PS I mean "expanse". And "expense". : )

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 10:25

• tinam61
    10 years ago

Hi Kellie!

Just add my vote with Mountain's. I am not much a fan of valances, other than in kitchens/bathrooms. I much prefer long panels in other rooms. Just panels. I'm also not a fan of valances over panels.

I think panels would look great in your dining room. If you are just wanting them for looks - you could do stationary panels.

tina

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

A long "expense" of fabric is right!
    ;)

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Kellie---I have sewn quite a few drapes/curtains. I consider my ability to be above average. Sewing straight, lined panels used with clip rings is not difficult in and of itself; however, in my experience,no matter how much care I take, they just do NOT come out looking like decent store-bought drapes or professional grade. I splurged and bought panels from RH for my living and dining room. They look so much nicer than the ones I made for our bedroom.

• tuesday_2008
    10 years ago

I love these drapes and I can't use them without making a lot of changes in my home and they look nothing like your inspiration :). When I saw your paint color, I immediately thought of them - plus there are flexible colors in there if the paint color should change.

Bummer - the neutral color has an AWSOME sale price, but the multi-color one is regular price.

Also note how they are hung - the end of the rod does not have a long, protruding finial which would help in your corner and with the rings they don't extend out too far from the window.

Here is a link that might be useful: PB Margaritte drape

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So it looks like we are all in agreement with the panels! And the expense!

On reading the cautions, I think I will try to find ready made panels, then if they need some embellishment will approach the MIL. She is always looking for a project and enjoys sewing, but I don't want to have her overcommitt. And I am not certain that she will say no even if she really really wants to say no.

So I have been perusing some different patterns, I started at Smith and Noble and am having trouble selecting a pattern that looks like it "belongs" that doesn't specifically incorporate the wall color. I want something somewhat graphic, but not necessarily floral, something more transitional than traditional that doesn't look completely schizophreic. Some of you all are real fabric gurus....can anybody point me in the right direction? Or any direction?

Tuesday - Those PB drapes are pretty! And I like the price of the ones that won't match of course. And I am not sure how "floral" I can get with my husband who will feel like he deserves a vote too. Not as heavily weighted as my vote of course, but a vote none the less!

• francoise47
    10 years ago

Hi Kellienoelle,

I'm chiming in to agree with others that I think that panels on the front double windows and roman shades in the same fabric on the side windows may look great.

I love the Laura and Kiran fabric you originally posted. I'm posting a picture (in a different color) so that GW members can see a fuller view of the pattern. Although it is contemporary, the overall florally scroll could work with your rug and the vibe in your living room. Looks like great drapery fabric. And, it would work well as a roman shade. (Also works well with the simple geometric runner you are considering for your stairs.)

Here is the description from the Tonic website:

"From Laura & Kiran comes this Madhubani painting inspired print in a gorgeous spiral branch drawing. The painted lines are a chambray blue on an ivory cream background.
    Vertical repeat is 26" by 29" horizontal.
    Made of 100% cotton canvas and weighs 17.5 oz or 500 grams (a little over 1 pound) per linear yard (36"x60" area).
    Perfect for drapery, roman blinds, curtains, pillows, foam bench cushions or any other upholstery project.
    Made in India. Manufacturer recommends dry cleaning."

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Tonic living

• francoise47
    10 years ago

Hi All,

Better picture of Kellienoelle's proposed drape fabric:

{{!gwi}}

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

I suggest using 96" panels that would only use rings if they are hidden behind the panels with hooks, or use grommet top, or pinched pleat panels.

This room needs long flowing lines and having the ceiling line, then the rod, then rings with panels below complicates things & makes them a bit sloppy for this size room.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

These are the drapery panels I picked up at HomeGoods last week. Two different colors hung on this one rod. These are great as a temporary fix until custom drapes can be made up.

Maybe this information will help someone else looking for drapery panels, who is on a limited budget. I always love a buy when the value is there. This works out to $15 per panel. You can't buy the 3 yards of fabric needed to make the panel for $5 per yard anywhere not including the cost of the grommets.

• tuesday_2008
    10 years ago

Beverly those are nice looking neutral drapes for $29.95 for two panels! One could afford two pairs per window for extra fullness at that price.

• juliekcmo
    10 years ago

But you can always use clip rings, and clip them down about 1 1/2 to 2 inches down from the top. Clip on the back side of the curtain panel. Measure off equal spacing for the number of rings used. Create a pinched pleat, and even tack with a needle and thread. Clip each pleat in a ring.

I made window treatments for my friend's craftsman house and that is what we did.

This allows for the panels to be simple rectangles, and for the rods to be stationary rods.

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Now I am even more confused, I am more casual, so a simple rectangular panel hung with clips sounds just fine for me. And I hate to say this given my complete lack of sewing skills, but it doesn't seem too difficult, which wouldn't put out my MIL much. And there is something I love about that simple spiral branch fabric, it's a pattern, but nice and organic.If the colors are similar to that chair that francoise was so kind to post, then would it coordinate with the room (namely the rug since everything else is pretty neutral)? Or am I totally barking up the wrong tree here. Maybe something like this would work better? Although I am more in like than love with it

Beverly - I love your panels that you got from Homegoods, the texture is pretty. If I can't work out a pattern, I'll have to take a look and see what we have at my local.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

Kellie, can you order a swatch of that pattern that you like and put it in the room to see how it goes with what's currently there?
    I love the Oushak rug! But you may find in the event that it doesn't play well with the print. It doesn't seem like there is much pattern in the Oushak, but it does have an "attitude" that demands to be respected. The only way you're going to know is by putting the print in the room and looking at it together.

Long ago I owned a drapery workroom. As others here have said, if your MIL is set up with large work tables and if she has a blind hemmer and a good pressing system, then making straight panels is a snap. If she's never done it, if she is cramped for space and has to sew on a dining room table or in a small cabinet, making long panels can be a real challenge.

If you can't find anything else, consider what this designer on Houzz is doing. She says she buys panels at places like Pottery Barn or Wayfair, and then customizes them by adding deep contrast hems or trims along the leading edge.

[Modern Spaces[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/modern-home-design-ideas-phbr1-bp~s_2105) by Marshfield Interior Designers & Decorators Stacy Curran

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

kellienoelle, Please take a closer look at the last picture you posted. Those are not just panels with rings. The headings on the panels are very structured, probably reinforced with buckram to form those lovely pleats, and certainly lined or maybe even interlined. The rings are probably attached to drapery pins that have been inserted in the panel headings.

I think those would look very good if you have someone make that style of drape for you, but it's not simply hemming the fabric and adding rings with clips at the top.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

I agree that the mockups Beverly did show what a dramatic difference panels would make rather than toppers/valances. It seems that no matter how beautiful the fabric they look a little "old ladyish" to me, except maybe in a bathroom. I was looking for something else and remembered your post when these popped up - not sure if they'd suit you or if any of the colors would work....

Here is a link that might be useful:

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Beverly - I posted the one above more for color and pattern then style since I am still trying to figure that out. I haven't yet approached the MIL (she is out of town), but expect once I do I will know if I need to find ready made, can search for a fabric, or look into doing something more custom (which I fully expect I can't afford). Just spending the time looking at fabric options. Since a few people have brought this up, she doesnt have a workshop or set up for very large fabric, so it would be the case of where she would be working on a dining room table.

Marji - I will definitely order swatches once I know which direction I must go! The pattern of the Oushak rug is really pretty quiet, so I think it could play nicely with some sort of pattern. The difficulty will be to find a pattern that I like (which will probably read contemporary) that fits its more traditional style. The colors are also proving to be a bit difficult as it is more "gold" than "beige".

Olychick - I really like the leaf pattern, but the colors (on my monitor at least) don't seem right. As I mentioned above, the overall tone of the rug reads more gold than beige. I'll keep looking!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

kellienoelle, Here's a Pleat Guide that might provide some info when selecting a heading for the drapes. It comes from a site I've used to purchase drapery for clients. I think they do fine work, were easy to work with, and their prices are very good for semi custom drapery panels. Lots of choices.

I just looked at what they're currently offering, and wondered if you might want to consider any of these options below? Always classic and 'puddled' drapery is not manditory. You can order the ready-made panel to see if the fabric works in your room, and then if necessary, send them back once you determine what works and what doesn't. You can also purchase samples of the fabric.

Here is a link that might be useful: Half Price Drapes

• francoise47
    10 years ago

Hi Beverly27,

Thanks for posting the link to the Half Price Drapes website. I didn't know about this company -- looks like some great products and prices.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Beverly, thank you so much for posting the drapery pleat guide and the web site. What is the guideline for how wide each panel should be? Our drapes will be for looks only as we have a very private lot and our French doors have blinds built in. TIA for your help!

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What a great resource Beverly, thanks for sharing! I can glance through and know that i am drawn to the pole pocket header on rings with trouser length drapes. Have spent the past hour looking through their fabric options. I know I don't want silk or velvet (maintenance reasons), but want are the thoughts on faux silk?

Like holly - I am also interested in learning how wide each panel should be.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

You might consider having MIL customize ready made drapes which would be a lot easier than making them from scratch....add a leading border, add trim or braid, add a bottom border....

Typically you buy drapes at least 2x the width of the window.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

kellienoelle, I'm a big believer in faux silk. Sometimes it's impossible to tell it from the real stuff. See second picture below of a window I designed and had fabricated in the early 90's. It's not washable, most elaborate drapes are not even dry cleanable, (they get vacuumed only) but it can be effective and less expensive when you're talking about yards and yards of material.

The panels in the first pic below are each 50" Wide for a total of 100" on the rod,and when stacked like you see them, the stacked width is 24". Each pleat is about 6" deep. Each pleat requires 6" going out and 6" going back, and that's why it takes 100" So the formula I use for this stack set is the width you have to stack the drapes times four. You can use fewer widths, but they can sometimes look like rags on the rods.

Pleats do not have to be 6" deep. As a rule of thumb for drapery panels, I usually figure 300% or 3 times the width of the window & wall I want to cover. So if you want to cover 2 French Doors and overall the doors, plus trim, and some wall on the side for stacking is 104", then you'd need 312' of fabric width for drape panels. Using 60" width fabric, that would work out to be about 5 1/4 panels overall divided in two for center draw panels.

holly-kay, Drapery is all about proportion. If you view the third picture you'll see why 1 non-operating drapery panel on each side of.of a sliding door is not enough in this case. The doors are 120" tall and the 50" stacked panel should be double the width to look right. The rod would be the same length, but the drapery should be fuller.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Thanks Annie and Beverly.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I would also check out:
    West Elm

IKEA (esp. for linen or maybe velvet)

Urban Outfitters

Z Gallery

Also, as suggested, get plain drapes and add some details (link below)

Here is a link that might be useful: [customizing curtains[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/embellishing-tricks-for-cost-effective-custom-curtains-stsetivw-vs~8214970)