Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Design challenge

mtnrdredux_gw
12 years ago

I need help finishing my LR. So far all that the elements have in common is that I bought them! I like the collected look, but I am not pulling it off here. ONE PROBLEM - I do not want to get rid of anything in the room.

The room itself, built by the PO, is a quirky octagon with a windowed cupola. Three walls are window seats. A fourth wall is the entry, with double French doors leading from a hallway, and a step down into the room. We have only one "normal wall".

{{gwi:1807088}}

{{gwi:1807089}}

This is our "formal" living room, in an informal house. It is not likely to get heavy use ... either when we have a couple over for dinner, or as one of several spaces flowing into each other for large parties. Also as a place to read (it's very quiet when you close the doors).

THE CHALLENGE : I am not willing to take anything away, but what can I add?

Here's where we are starting

The Elements that work together ok:

The Asian-inspired Amsterdam streetlamp chandelier, Turkish ottoman, Turkish silk rug, and Moroccan fpl tiles. The ticking on the window seats, a blue and off white ticking that looks kind of tobacco stained, matches the fpl tile colors exactly (the tile mfr used the fabric) The mirrored table - maybe not. It is one thing I could get rid of. DH wants to put a work bench w vise there, as a bar.

{{gwi:1807090}}

{{gwi:1807091}}

{{gwi:1807092}}

The elements that are less cohesive:

The rustic horse weathervane and the beehive fpl screen (a trick so that, when unlit, it is less noticeable that the fpl is gas)

The chairs are brand new, MGBW slightly distressed leather. I love them, perhaps because I was going through my Mad Men phase when I saw them. But I think it is both the color and style of these chairs that is throwing things off. The floors lamps, a must for reading, I think are fine with the chairs.

I need to figure out what to put over the fpl "mantle" (enormous, 3x8), but I am not terribly worried about that right now .. it's the kind of thing you can't force. But I do need help on:

1) Selecting at least 2 throws for the chairs. I think they should be light, like the ottoman

2) Something to put on the ottoman - dark like the chairs?

3) Pillows for the window seats

4) Someplace to put a drink in between each set of chairs

5) We need to decorate the shelves around the room at ceiling level.

6) I have some artwork that I want to hang on the molding between the windows, like some people hang on the wood frames of bookcases? Yeah or nay?

And of course if you have any ideas about a 3x8 platform over the fpl --- maybe a bunk bed!

Thanks in advance.

Comments (103)

• Arapaho-Rd
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Don't think I see any votes on hanging the artwork between the windows - would love to see the pieces you're considering.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, arapaho. I have some prints and paintings, smallish, probably none bigger than 8x10. They all have sentimental value. I don't have them here, but when i get them I will post.

It will be kind of interesting to see the "room that GW built" as I go along!

• InteriorStylist
    12 years ago

You ARE artful!!! I think you did a great job in your workbench tablescape - I like the clutter & arrangement.

If you're going to put creamware in the niches, I wouldn't add do a ceramic garden stool - you need texture there. Maybe rattan...(this looks better in person)

~Jeana

Here is a link that might be useful: Rattan table idea

• eandhl
    12 years ago

I just want to say the chandelier, FP tiles, horse, workbench and your chairs are my favorite things in your rm. I think it shows when someone fills a room with loved treasures!

• Arapaho-Rd
    12 years ago

Crate & Barrel has some interesting round accent tables.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crate & Barrel

• User
    12 years ago

Oh, wow, it is hard to believe that is the same room. Your version of this room is stunning. I have been thoroughly enjoying this post. I cannot get enough of your room. I think it's beautiful.

I like creamware in the niches. Also not crazy about the book idea. I wasn't crazy about it before, but then seeing the POs pictures verified that.

maire -- good catch on the dustbuster! Well, I hope that means he used it a lot to keep the dust out of all that stuff. Yikes.

• suero
    12 years ago

I keep visualizing a quilt in the niche above the fireplace. I don't mean one that you would put on a bed, but more of a fabric with dimension and texture and pattern that would fit in the area.

• juliekcmo
    12 years ago

I DID mean to rotate the rug so nap would look darker... I think this might give more contrast vs. floor and ottoman.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Interior, Thank you! Cool table.

Eandhl, thanks!

Arapaho - great selection, i like the foundry one? Sort of like my lamps? I also like that is it sturdy ...i have visions of red wine spilled on my silk rug.

Jill, you are so nice. I have to look around and see what I have to put up there! I may use books until i find the right thing..

Suero, the only thing is the area is three feet deep by 8 feet wide. Anything on the wall will be lost, i fear. Odd space!

Julie, I used to have this rug in an entry hall, and then in a dressing room. I was always turning it around to see the "light side" I don't like the dark side, lol

Anyway ... i went shopping today. I got a bunch of throw pillows, a tray, and another demijohn. I have lowered the lamps and moved the chairs closer together. The pictures all look too yellow or green, but in real life I am happy with it. I actually just picked a whole bunch of pillows, and i thought I would see which ones i liked when I got home. I like them all, together.

Here's where we are:
    {{gwi:1577201}}

{{gwi:1564488}}

{{gwi:1807109}}

{{gwi:1807111}}

{{gwi:1807113}}

{{gwi:1807115}}

I chose some chocolate pillows to balance visual weight, and some blue and green to pick up on those shades in the rug.

{{gwi:1807116}}

btw, this shows the depth of the fpl shelf

{{gwi:1807119}}

Still - to do ... try painting above the fpl, throw (s) in a celery or light blue/aqua, pottery and small table(s). Note that now that I moved the chairs closer, the tables wont fit in between.

What do you think of this table?

Here is a link that might be useful: i know its a little out there, but i like it

• kristinekr
    12 years ago

I like the pillows. Despite the different colors and patterns, they all look good together. I especially like the brown and white ones.

I also like the table you linked.

I am not sure about the new placement of the chairs--I liked them better before--although its hard to tell from the photo--maybe in real life, the new arrangement is better.

I would also look for something larger for the fireplace--it looks a bit cluttered to me as is--I think it needs something more distinctive.

The ottoman still seems very stark to me in relation to the rest of the room.

I love the room! I think if I just walked into it--without being asked for my thoughts--I would just think what a great room it was and how much I loved the cupola, window seat, rug, work table, and horse. The only negative I would notice would be how white the ottoman is.

• bananafana
    12 years ago

Oh goodie, more pictures!

I'm loving the pillows you got. It's kind of a bohemian mix and not predictable at all. Really, really, really like them.

Something about the chairs though----I think they are too close to each other and the lamps aren't as much a part of it like they were before. I think the chairs were better angled. Or maybe the chairs need to be pushed away from each other a bit so the lamps can come forward? Those lamps are so great, they need some of the spotlight.

Love that table you linked to.

• Arapaho-Rd
    12 years ago

Just a thought to get opinions on - painting the wall above the fireplace the same color as the shelves?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kristine and Banana and Arapaho,

I love the pillows, too thanks. I like bohemian, well put. I do NOT like rooms that look like you used a decorator or shopped in one place in one day (although for the pillows, I did). I like a room that has some tension in it and that goes together without matching. Of course, this is the hardest thing to pull off, and it's very subjective.

The big white whale in the center is still challengin. Rest assured it wil be dirty soon and then re covered. For now, the contrast in the photos, is I think worse than real life. This is a very hard room to shoot, esp w my krappy camera. The only photos that come close to the right color are the pillow close ups. And its almost impossible to show the room without distortion.

The fpl shelf is by no means done. It's not actually my goal to accessorize it... that cant be forced. I will keep the demijohns, but the painting doesn't work there and i will probably move the metal tub.

I got a lot of votes for painting. I will try it with cardboard first ... i do worry it will look like two black holes between the fpl itself and the wall. On the other hand, I have a band of green gray that stops there...

I ordered the funky moroccan table this morning. I found the coolest website that offers throw sin 1,290 colors! see link

Here is a link that might be useful: click on the word

• Arapaho-Rd
    12 years ago

I am fascinated with this room! Love the colors of the pillows. Think the chairs look better angled - gives the room a warmer look, if that makes sense. The table you linked to gives a little bling to the room - similar to the mirror table. It would fit between the chairs nicely. I do like the C&B table as well. Keep the photos coming if you can, it's a wonderful study!

• hoosiergirl
    12 years ago

I would try your chairs "skydiving" but closer together so they could easily share a table between each pair. I *love* how it's coming together! The pillows are great! I like the table you posted, but don't see it working in your room. My inclination would be to find something at an antique shop, but that could take patience to find that "just right" pair of tables. I like the idea of ironstone or creamware in the niches; books don't do it for me there. Just out of curiosity, what is in the middle niches (it looks like there is some type of screening on them)?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Hoosier! I do think there is some optimal positioning of my chairs and lamps but there are so many permutations I need some sort of prgoramming algorithm to figure it out. The table is ordered : ). I just got one, will have to see it in the space. It picks up on the tile and rug, but may look very odd next to the chairs. My second choice was one someone posted from c n b. (see below)

The shelves have speakers in the center.

Arapaho, I hope I am not wearing out my welcome with all my photos. I think it is sort of an interesting case study to see the room evolve.

Here is a link that might be useful: I liked the foundry or the brimfield tables

• User
    12 years ago

Love the pillows. All of them. And love them together. You do have an amazing eye! Can I ask where you got them? What single store had such an amazing array of pillows?

I also think the chairs looked better angled. Maybe just not as far apart as they were before? But, being in the actual room you are definitely the best judge of that.

I wouldn't paint above the fireplace yet. I think that area needs *something* really special. No idea what. Perhaps another (smaller) weathervane? But, I think that you should wait until you find something special for that area, and then decide if painting will enhance it or not.

I will shamelessly ask for a picture tour of your home? Perhaps a different thread. This room, the view out those windows, and the picture of your front door in the other front door thread are all just beautiful. I would love to see more:-)

• kitschykitch
    12 years ago

The pillows are very unusual. Where did you get them? I would like to see the embroidered ones close up.

It is a tough room. I understand you are trying to be eclectic, but if you just imagine for a moment you did not have the ottoman or the rug. Just think about what you might use instead. When you look at it that way, you may change your mind about what you want to keep or what you want to move out.

It is indeed a design challenge to work with an octagon, too. It looks like a pleasant room in all versions.

• InteriorStylist
    12 years ago

The pillows are great!!! I would also go back to angling the chairs, cause the room looks too uptight right now.

I STILL see chargers on iron stands on that mantle. :-) Or even large primitive wood bowls on stands.

And I love the ottoman - I wouldn't stress about that, & like those accent tables you chose.

~Jeana

• nancybee_2010
    12 years ago

I love the befores and the afters! They're done in different ways, but both done so well. You are wonderfully creative, and have a great eye for treasures.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Nancy, thank you. I am not creative, but I'm very aware of design and as they say, all art is derivative. A nice way of saying I steal ideas.

Interior, Will keep fiddling with those chairs! They are like unruly children. I agree on the chargers. As for the Great White Whale, as we begin to use the room, the kids love to read there but everyone is afraid to put their feet on the white ottoman. I might put a prayer rug on it ...

Kitch, You are right. But it is hard to resist the temptation to use things you have and like! My favorite pillows are the beaded ones. I have close up I took while shopping.

Jill, Thanks, they were fun. Pillows are from Lillian August? Sort of an ABC Carpet for the burbs. I chose anything I thought could POSSIBLY work and then could not bring myself to turn any of them away at all.

You dont have to ask me twice to post house photos. That's like asking to see someone's vacation slides! Be careful what you wish for. Funny though, the front door in the other thread isn't to this house. It's to the one we moved out of to move here; that front door is for sale.

I adore this pillow and its chair!

{{gwi:1807121}}

Odd detail - this one has patches.

{{gwi:1807123}}

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jill,
    Though we have spent two years and too much, by far the best parts of our new home are those we haven't touched. The house was lovely, but smaller then we wanted for our family and less open than we wanted. Unfortunately, and probably unwisely, we gutted most of it and added on a lot of new space and rooms. But the character is little changed, thank goodness. Like many GW'ers, it has been an time consuming love, down to every detail.

Here is the front, seen from the driveway

{{gwi:1807125}}

Here is the back of the house, seen from the path on the far side of our pond
    {{gwi:1807127}}

Our pond. My kids fish, kayak and swim in it, and bike around it. Hopefully skate on too!
    {{gwi:1807129}}

My favorite - the path that goes all around the pond, with flower beds, benches, lights and speakers (if only we could figure them all out). DH in the distance.
    {{gwi:1807131}}

The stone work we love and have not touched{{gwi:1807133}}

{{gwi:1807135}}

• User
    12 years ago

Wow, wow, wow! Stunning! Your house and grounds are just gorgeous! Can I beg some more for more inside pictures :-)

• sas95
    12 years ago

Absolutely beautiful!

• hoosiergirl
    12 years ago

That is a slice of heaven, Mtnrdredux! I'm begging for more, too! Do you pinch yourself?!

• ctlane
    12 years ago

Beautiful. In one of your earlier photos,of your beautiful room we could see what I thought was your neighbors house. Turns out it is all your house. Just beautiful.

• nancybee_2010
    12 years ago

Wow! How wonderful. I'm another who'd love to see more pics! Would you mind saying which state you live in? The trees and everything are so beautiful.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    12 years ago

mtnrdredux every time I see pictures of your house it just takes my breath away. Gorgeous house, gorgeous grounds! Every little detail, down to the outswing casement windows, just combines to make it so perfect!

• InteriorStylist
    12 years ago

3 words for you...FAB-U-LOUS!!!

That's my dream house!!! You have your own private park!!!

~Jeana

• kitschykitch
    12 years ago

Serene. Does it have a name?

I am confused. Which room is your living room? WHat are we looking at, left to right? It is hard to tell where it begins and ends. Is that a barn with a greenhouse?

It looks like a bed and breakfast!

• teacats
    12 years ago

Just GORGEOUS!!! :)

And yes! such a wonderful home should have a name! :)

Really beautiful -- and should be in a magazine! :)

Yes -- please post more pics! :)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jill, Thanks, I feel the same way!

SAS, thanks!

Hoosier, We only moved in a few months ago, but I hope I never get blase about it.

CTLane, Thank you. That is one of the things we love most about our property ... the illusion of having a thousand acres because we cannot see anything but green

Nancy, Thank you. We are in CT. I have tons of photos, mostly before (which was lovely), and landscape photos. I am not sure about the etiquette of producing my own house tour, or privacy issues. We are at the punchlist stage, so not totally done anyway. I will certainly post more and ive already posted a lot on the kitchen forum.

Beagles, Thank you. And i know from your project that you appreciate details! I know you will really enjoy your home.

Interior, that is exactly what I said. The realtor, no dummy, walked us right into the backyard, first, and took us for a stroll around the pond. As we did so, a blue heron flew over the pond. I was done. We saw it on a Wednesday, as a lark. By Monday we were under contract to by a home in a place we'd never before seen and knew no one and had no connection to! Oh, and we had no prior plans to move and had just finished every inch of our old home!

Kitch, My friends would surely snort derisively if I were to "name" a house. What for? To order snazzy return address labels? Don't think so.

Re your Q: Looking at the backyard photo, the LR octagon is almost all the way to the right. (Furthest right is a room with stone walls and clerestory, then comes the octagon.) The thing to the far left that looks like a barn is an indoor pool (PO) and, yes, that is a green house. It does look like a BnB. It is a bit goofy.

Tea,
    I have and will post photos, but we aren't done! Plus I think my camera stinks, or I need to read the directions to it. It took great family and vaca shots, but all my interior shots look greenish and blurry.

Here's another shot I love:

I adore this little house near the pond and have to figure out how to turn it into something!
    {{gwi:1807137}}

• kiki_thinking
    12 years ago

I have really enjoyed seeing your photos and watching the room evolve.

Two of my favorite designers are rose tarlow and mimi o'connell, i think your style fits in with what i like about them.

I was thinking though, that maybe your seating area needs something to draw people to it? If i found myself there, i'd first notice the ceiling architecture, and then probably whatever you have in the upper shelving, and then of course id be caught by the view in the windows and there's lots to see in your photos and the interesting table.

I was thinking, what draws people to the seating area and invites them to settle? I was just thinking to myself, what would make me want to stay in the middle of the room. I'm not a designer, and i know tjis is kind of a hackneyed solution, but what about a stack of books near one chair, high enough that you could set your glass there? Or perhaps an ipad, artfully tossed on the corner of the ottoman? Just kidding.

It is a really interesting room to think about though. Just lovely.

• jterrilynn
    12 years ago

Your house and grounds is about the nicest little homestead I have ever seen in my life! The room you are decorating looks real nice...me, I would keep the walls the same color part way up and have a mural drifting into fog with the tops of all the tree's around you peeking out and up into a sky. All my furniture would be ultra soft and white so I could feel like I was floating on a cloud. I would have a pale blue carpet on the floor.I might even have a Huge birds mobile hanging way down the center of the ceiling (saw one of these in a large gallery in N.W Michigan once). Ok, my imagination sometimes gets the best of me but that is how the room "feels" to me. So beautiful!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks kiki, I will have to look up those names!

But your question is a very apt one, and the very question I had in trying to decide what to do with the space. As you can tell from the photo of the back of the house, this room is far away from most everything! It is off a little hallway. Having french doors and a step down make it seem even more removed.

Before I saw the house in person, I thought the room should be the MBR. In person that made no sense for a host of reasons. The PO used it as an office, but they also had a second office elsewhere that I preferred for that purpose.

It's best use, esp since it is close to the DR, then is a "formal" LR. But I don't like rooms you use a few times year, I wanted a casual house you use all the time. So I tried to figure out what would be a draw. For me, that means cozy and warm and convivial (hence the chairs and fpl). I read a lot, so that meant real lighting. And the last draw ... off of this room is a small rectangular room I think of as a study. We have placed "The Shrine" there. Of course I mean the MAC desktop. Our kids can only use it for school and 1hr per day on weekends. The Shrine means there will always be pilgrimages to that part of our home. : )

• rmkitchen
    12 years ago

I am just now peeking in again -- you are one speedy person! So exciting. I'm so happy someone like you lives there, someone who really loves the garden. It looks magical ....

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jterrilynn, What a lovely thing to say! I am with you on your color scheme. That is why all of my walls are shades of white, and really the whole house palette is soft, muted, neutral, natural. This is my most adventuresome room!

Your bird mobile reminded me of the light fixture I put in my 8yo daughter's room. She loves it but so do adults. I also love this website so always looking for an excuse to post it, LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: bird mobile/light

• nancybee_2010
    12 years ago

mtnrdredux,

I misunderstood- I thought the "befores" were your "befores"-- before you redecorated or remodeled. Well, I still like what the PO did and LOVE what you have done!

I agree with rmkitchen, the garden is magical! The whole house and grounds are magical.

• kiki_thinking
    12 years ago

Ooo, it's mimmi oconnell, the other one is a female wrestler! She does light/white walls, ticking, a little moroccan influence, symmetry, ironwork, the feel is kind of spare, but not cold.

Rose tarlow .. Ineffable.

Even though she is the soul of taste, she's a little quirky and that's what i like most about her.

Cote de texas' blog has nice articles about both of them, it's where i first saw them : )

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Nancy!

Kiki, I have Cote de Texas bookmarked and love that site. I didn't know either name you mentioned. But wow, thank you! Love the Tarlow rooms. I can't help it, texture and patina and light and nature always draw me in and make me want to spend time in a place. Overt color, not so much.

I looked at Mimmi's rooms, too. I love the handcrafted and native elements, the sense of travel in her rooms. And can't believe she cited the Amman resorts in Bali. Those are wonderful wonderful. The shots they showed don't do full justice. The pools cascading down to the beach and Amankila, omg. Paradise, literally.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mimmi's inspirations - take the picture tour

• User
    12 years ago

I haven't followed the entire evolution of the room--- no great ideas except books in the shelves--he books being the highest and best use for shelves, always--- but wanted to chime in the general delight and awe of your property. The stone building....I want it! How lucky you are to be able to walk all the way around your pond and have one beautiful vista after another! Our pond (not nearly as big, with an area of only about a third of an acre) has a creek behind it and we have barely enough room to walk over the spillway on the far side. It is such a pleasure to see a place like yours that has the beautiful serenity that comes from having been there a ling time.

Please post pictures as you complete other areas.... Your house reminds me of Bunny Williams' Connecticut home that was chronicled in her book Affair With a House, similar sensibility and fabulous location. Thanks for the photos and keep them coming!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks kwsl. You have a pond too! I love creeks and ponds and the lush green woodlands around them. Nothing like it, don't you think? I especially love my kids being able to spend their time exploring and getting muddy...

I think I will post the stone building separately and get ideas. It is a bit of a puzzle due to wetland restrictions.

Bunny Williams! I would love her parterre gardens, sigh.

• roarah
    12 years ago

Wow! Your home is dreamy! I think you should turn the little house into a bunky for me:)! I have no suggestions cause your home has left me speechless

• teacats
    12 years ago

That little garden house -- Wow! I would just LOVE to have a true garden "shed" of my very own .... reminds me of the ones in English country estates .... tiny wee Witches cottage .... sigh .....

Yes -- your home DOES remind me of Bunny Williams home ....

... and here's another interior designer's website that you might enjoy ....click on the word "Residential" to see more photos ....

Here is a link that might be useful: jackye lanham designer website

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, Teacats. And thanks for the link. Her work is exactly my "cup of tea". I will linger long over those pages for ideas to steal!

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    12 years ago

Lovely pictures, mtnrd, and beautiful house and garden. I remember some of the pics from the kitchen board. You'll have to post more pics when the leaves change (they have here already in western Canada).

Just browsing around online, it occurred to me that a good "placeholder" for the large niche over the fireplace might be some of the large and chunky pillar candle holders you see at Pottery Barn, Pier One, Cost Plus World Market, etc. They'd fit seasonally too for the next while, and would look good with the demijohn,

World Market satara holders,
    www.worldmarket.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3596062

Pottery Barn wood,
    www.potterybarn.com/products/ryland-wood-pillar-holders/?pkey=ccandleholders

Pier One wood,
    www.pier1.com/Catalog/CandlesFragrance/tabid/976/CategoryId/853/ProductId/5852/ProductName/Black-Wooden-Pillar-Holders/Default.aspx

I would think metal or mercury glass would look nice too, if you can find them big and chunky.

Becky

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

i swear, Becky, I was just on another screen looking for pillar candles! I did a search on Apartment Therapy too. I love diptique but none of htem are right. Thanks for the links!

• hoosiergirl
    12 years ago

What a perfect little garden shed! Or a darling playhouse for your kids! I can't wait to see more of your paradise!

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    12 years ago

mtnrd, I would use the pillar candle holders with plain pillars for display in the niche/mantel, and then keep a Diptyque candle, to use, on the work bench or hearth. I'm picky about how candles look and how they smell, and I can rarely find both together, so I just divide and conquer!

Becky

• DLM2000-GW
    12 years ago

How on earth did I miss this whole thread till now? Must have been unconscious or something............. Note to self; must go back and read, not just drool on pictures. I am awed by your grounds and setting - truly storybook.

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH