Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homeagain_gw

Blog ettiquette ? - it's relevant - I promise

homeagain
12 years ago

Like many of you, I visit several blogs routinely to be inspired. Last month a local blog I visit frequently posted about misfit tables. She stated she often took in strays and refinished them and posted a photo of her latest. She also mentioned in the blog that she would most likely sell it on craigslist as she didn't have a space for it.

I commented that it was really pretty and that I was in the same town and asked if it was available. She replied immediately on her blog that it was, quoted a price and asked if I'd like it. I quickly said yes and asked when to meet.

Anyway, it's been a month now. We've made two "appointments" to meet and she hasn't shown. Our most recent correspondence was Sept 9th after the second no-show. She stated she was going out of town on business and would contact me upon her return. She has not, nor has she responded to the one inquiry I sent asking if she had time to meet now that she was back.

Selling this table is clearly not her priority right now but it's really cute and I WANT it. Other than the first two comments on her blog ....me - is it available? her - yes would you like it for this price? All of our conversations have been by email. So my etiquette question is should I return to her blog and call her out on this????

Comments (30)

• graywings123
    12 years ago

If you want the table, making her look bad on her own blog (which is what calling her out means to me) isn't likely to help your cause.

Personally, I wouldn't pursue a transaction with someone who stood me up twice. But I still wouldn't mention it on her blog.

• ttodd
    12 years ago

I second Graywings answer.

• peaches12345
    12 years ago

I agree. I wouldn't deal further with this person either by email or on her blog.

• lindac
    12 years ago

Very likely she stole the picture of the table and it wasn't hers to sell.....she wouldn't mention that on her blog, so just put you off in the emails....so you wouldn't call her out.
    Happens all the time....do a google image search for something like painted end table...or put in the color and see if you can find another picture.
    JMHO...Linda C

• forhgtv
    12 years ago

I think she has had second thoughts about selling the table and is using passive methods to let you know, like not showing up for an appointed meeting, telling you she is out of town, etc. I know this situation is frustrating for you and you would like to hold her accountable, but I probably would just let it go. Treat her blog like a store that didn't satisfy you and don't shop/visit there.

• forhgtv
    12 years ago

Oops! Sorry, Linda, I was posting simultaneously. Your theory sounds very possible, too.

• lucillle
    12 years ago

The whole art of etiquette was created to make people feel more at home and easier with each other. So this isn't really an etiquette question.

That's not to say I don't think it is appropriate to get the word out when transactions go wrong, I do. There are more and more sites devoted to giving posters an opportunity to recount their own transactions and experiences with sellers.

Money and time are precious, and I certainly would value information that would help me not waste either.

A fair critique is a thing of value for those who later want to do business with the same seller. Good sellers can have their reputations enhanced, and not-so-good sellers can see that if they don't make it right, prospective purchasers might dry up.

See if you can find such a site, say your piece, and then find another seller. I agree with graywings, I would not pursue a transaction with such a person.

• chickadee2_gw
    12 years ago

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'd love to see this chick's blog. How rude to stand you up twice! Even if there were no table to begin with, she could have told you she changed her mind and is going to keep it. I don't see why she's playing you along like this unless there is a table and she's going to try to sell it on Craig;'s list for a higher price.

• redbazel
    12 years ago

I wonder if you put your phone number in your email or if she gave you hers? If not---why not? Email is fine for asking questions and getting photos, but I would never arrange to meet someone without confirming by phone. And for what it's worth, I would probably go back to her blog and write a sweet little note something like...."Hey! Still want that table! I shot you an email with my phone number. Please call so we can meet! Looking forward to meeting you!"
    Follow with an email with your number and see what happens.
    If she ignores you, you have your answer.

I personally, spent one month (Sorry! I'm a fool.) of my life in August trying to make a plan to meet a flaky Brittanee to see two marble topped end tables just a few minutes away from my home. We exchanged texts...her husband had emergency surgery, we called and left msgs, and whenever I actually spoke to her, she had kids down for a nap or had to go to hospital. Those tables became my obsession. Finally got a solid plan two weeks ago. Just as I was walking out the door to drive to her (lovely, upscale home lakefront!!) I got an urgent call from my daughter's husband, asking me if I could drive out to their house and take her to urgent care? (She had hurt her arm.) I said yes, but would be a little while...(So obsessed with those stinkin' tables!) Well, Brittanee had never measured them for me as I had requested 3 or 4 times, and her photo was lousy too. They were worth the money but NOT what I wanted. Brittanee was wearing flip flops, a tank top, blonde pony tail and heart flannel pj bottoms. Her twin toddlers were riding their little trikes in the street. She was a good-humored, well-meaning flake. And I could see by the look of her home that she probably had no financial impetus to sell the tables, she was just distracted.
    By the time I got out to my daughter's, 45 minutes later, I felt so stupid.
    (and before you think me lost to all good sense, my other child was already on the way to her sisters so I knew she was ok, but still.....)

Red

• justgotabme
    12 years ago

Something similar happened to me minus the blog. I'd communicated through CL to purchase two swing arm wall sconces. Everything was set but where to meet. Nothing from the seller. Ad kept pupping back up to the top so I knew they were still available so I tried. Twice more same thing happened. I gave up trying. As much as I wanted the lamps it wasn't worth it.
    I happened to notice them again with an "need these gone" comment. Oh year? Then why didn't you tell me where to pick them up? I said I had cash. Decided to try once again using another email addy this time asking for directions right off. Got directions, drove and got them next afternoon. Perfectly nice woman in a beautiful area of the city. Have no clue what the deal was to begin with, but I got my lamps! LOL

• homeagain
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the responses. Red...your story is very similar and I'm glad your daughter is okay! And yes, she has my work number, home # and cell number but didn't provide a number of her own. I've always wondered about Craigslist etiquette. Whenever I've posted anything I always respond in the order that emails/phone calls are received and give the first person first chance and work my way down the list, even if it means days before that first person can view the item. I think when really nice stuff comes on craigslist that most poster's are just to busy too follow through or think there will be plenty of opportunity to sell the item.

I think in my case the price of the table was really low and someone probably emailed her privately and offered her more. Although I never considered the idea LindaC posted. Hmmm???

As much as I would have liked to comment something along the lines of ....I really wanted that table, thanks for giving me the run around...or....if you treat your clients like you treat your loyal blog followers....

I think I'll try once more and use the comment section of the blog and state... I hope your recent trip was a success and now that you are back in town we can arrange a time for me to pick up the table? You have my numbers, please give me a call?? Would that be okay???

I know it's crazy to continue but the table would be beautiful in my daughter's room...

Chickadee, I'll think about it...

• annkathryn
    12 years ago

You can easily do an image search by saving the image posted above to your hard drive. Go to images.google.com and click on the little camera icon in the search box, then upload this saved image to the search window.

It looks like the image is legitimate as it only appears on the original blog.

I've had recent experience doing image searches as there are an enormous amount of fraudulent vacation apartment listings on Craig's List, where it's obvious people are sealing images from sites like VRBO and representing themselves as the apartment owners.

Doing image searches of your own pictures is probably a good idea as well. It's a powerful tool to have in your arsenal.

• homeagain
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OMG! I never knew you could do that. I'll definitely have to play with it later as there are tons of rooms out there that I would love to know the paint color and this might help!!

Thanks annkathryn!!

• DLM2000-GW
    12 years ago

annkathryn that is the coolest search trick I've ever seen - what else do you know??!! Love learning this stuff!

• annkathryn
    12 years ago

What else do I know? Apparently not proof reading! I meant "stealing images", not "sealing images". Ooops!

Anyway, you all know how to use Google to search within Gardenweb, right? Gardenweb's search engine is terrible.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's an example

• graywings123
    12 years ago

annkathryn, thank you for teaching me something new today. I did not know you could search using a photo.

• User
    12 years ago

Well here's another direction you can go in. Home Goods has tons of those types of tables, as does lots of thrift stores and consignment shops. Buy one as is, lightly sand it and paint it a soft white. Change the knob and wha la! It can be done in a single afternoon. And believe me, they are so easy to do that no matter what she's charging you for it, it's not worth it; especially after what she's put you through. No matter how you look at it or whatever her reasons, that's just plain rude.

• haley_comet
    12 years ago

WOW COOL! I thought I was pretty internet savvy...apparently not...thanks Annkatheryn for the cool tip. :)

• natal
    12 years ago

Ann, thanks for the cool tip! I didn't save it to my hard drive. A simple copy and paste of "View Image Info" was enough.

• allison0704
    12 years ago

You can find another table almost as pretty (the legs on that one are extra special) and repaint it yourself.

annkathryn - that is so cool! I had no idea you could do that.

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

Annkathryn, thank you! I didn't know about that searching tool. I just searched some of my images and found a bench I made "for sale" on another site. Reported it!

• allison0704
    12 years ago

I've spent an hour googling images from Atticmag - some of my home and DD2's home. It's amazing the number of bloggers who "borrow" pictures and do not give credit back to the source. What's up with that?!

• graywings123
    12 years ago

Allison, you have the law on your side with these bloggers. Send them an e-mail telling them to remove your photos from their site or you will contact their internet provider and charge them with a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. Their internet provider will shut them down if they don't comply.

• sashasmommy
    12 years ago

That image search tool is so neat! I just searched for a photo that I uploaded to food.com and found it on someone's blog. She didn't claim to have taken the photo or anything, so that's good.

• allison0704
    12 years ago

Thanks, graywings. Already knew that. I'm surprised at the number of bloggers who don't credit a single photo - not one. A Hebrew website used my pictures of DD2s house from Random Picture Walls, but wrote their own descriptions. Had fun using freetranslation.com. DD2 got a kick out of it. But at least they credit AM.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hebrew post

• mellyc123
    12 years ago

That is a cute table, however it is pretty simple. You should be able to find something really close and could have it painted. Look on etsy and see if anyone in your area sells this type of item and send them the pic.

I would go back to the blog and post to inquire about it again : )

• itltrot
    12 years ago

It is adorable. I'd post one more comment like suggested by red and a followup email. Check your local craigslist to see if it was posted there. And if nothing at that point I'd walk away.

She's either keeping it, sold it for more money or is a fake. Even if you do post a negative comment on her blog she can delete it and few would probably ever see it.

ann, thanks for the tip! That rocks my socks. :-)

• always1stepbehind
    12 years ago

I would try again and maybe this time ask "jokingly" if she's getting cold feet and changed her mind...I understand when you see something you really want and it keeps nagging at you.

I went as far as...many months after deciding against going to look at a sofa table that I was very interested in listed on CL, emailing the seller back asking if they still had it...Guess where it is now? Yep, in my DR area :-)

But agree with the others, you could easily find something on CL or a thrift shop to repaint your self similar to what she has.

• annkathryn
    12 years ago

Hi everyone, glad to have posted something useful. But as natal said, it's even easier than what I originally posted to do an image search; just right click on any image, select "Copy Link Location", and paste that into the Google image search box.

• BeardyMan
    12 years ago

I would give up on her, personally

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!