Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lizzieplace

Kitchen island light. Please take a look!

lizzieplace
9 years ago

Kitchen light fixture was just installed. Not really loving it with the cabinets I didn't realize it will blend in (early selections at the start of the building process). My husband says we need spotlights to shine on the light (haha!). I love the light fixture on its own, not sure I love the overall look with the cabinets. Was also expecting something more substantial, but the pipes are a little narrow Should I change this? We are closing in less than 2 weeks! Thanks for any advice. I will post pictures of furniture inthe next posts.

Comments (21)

• lizzieplace
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Counter stools we have

• lizzieplace
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dining room furniture and light. This is on the other side of the refrigerator.

• lizzieplace
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Also open to the living room, with these elements (wallpaper on either side of fireplace with white stone). Table will be changed to something wood sometime.

Thank you for any advice on the light fixture!

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I think that light looks terrific and I suspect it will be more prominent once it is lit and the rest of the lights in your home are lit, too.

Since your other fixture is so fancy, I think having this one not overly prominent will let the chandelier be the star.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Love everything. It is really difficult to see the island light clearly. From what I can see, it looks more industrial? than the other features and fixtures in furniture in your space.

Maybe something similar to this?

Here is a link that might be useful: LightFixture

• lizzieplace
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Better view of light. Thanks for all the comments!

• pricklypearcactus
    9 years ago

That light fixture is gorgeous! I do see what you mean about it being lost a little with the dark cabinets, but I also notice you have daylight streaming in the window and overhead lights are not on at all. I think once your recessed lights are on, it will help illuminate the fixture and show off its sexy lines. (Is that weird that I just called a light fixture sexy?) I think you should keep it. Or send it to me...

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

It does sort of disappear into the cabinets. And as aktillery said, I think it looks a little too industrial for your space. Maybe something with shades to help soften the look and give it some separation from the dark cabinets?

• amykath
    9 years ago

I really do love the fixture, its just SO different from the entire rest of your home (furniture, cabs, tables, other lighting). But, if you love it that is all that matters.

• teacats
    9 years ago

When your fridge (I am thinking that it will be stainless?) is installed -- that gorgeous light fixture will show up SO well against the shiny fixture! :)

A great touch of Industrial Chic! :)

Just a magazine-worthy kitchen -- sooooo cool and elegant -- you have made wonderful choices! :)

Hope you'll post some pics of the finished space!

• blfenton
    9 years ago

How high is it hung from the counter? Probably just the angle of the pic but it looks a little high.

And the argument will begin as to how high is too high...:)

I personally don't like the light, for me there is a real disconnect between it and the legs of your island.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I like the light, but not the finish....it does blend in with your cabs too much. I think you need something maybe in a nickel (SS appliances?) or just something a little brighter so it stands out more. Pretty kitchen!

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

Absolutely love that light fixture, please leave it and love it. I agree it's because the room is dark right now. When it's all done with the lights on and the appliances sparkling it will be a fantastic feature and conversion piece.
    I would love to have that fixture. Thanks for posting the source!
    Everything does not have to matchy match, boring! That light = not boring.

• lizzieplace
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you very much for the comments! I went to the house again and took some pictures. I thought we could hang lower, but it looks like it might be too low if we do. There is one 6 inch stem that came with it, I am not sure that has been used. The rest are 12 inches and 18 inches, so those might really be too low.

I do love the fixture when we picked it out. I still do. I am just second guessing it with the rest of the elements. It seems like the comments are mixed as well, some like it, and some don't. If everybody hated it, then I would be more inclined to change it, if you know what I mean. I appreciate all the comments, it is nice to see it from someone else's eyes :)

• lizzieplace
    Original Author
    9 years ago

On another note, the hood looks low to me in the previous picture. I just noticed now :/

Here is another shot of the light:

• madeyna
    9 years ago

If your not loving it now is the time to let it go. I think with those dark cabs behind it gets lost. Those same dark cabs could really work for you to frame a lighter fixture

• erinsean
    9 years ago

I like it. Is the middle light on the bottom lit or maybe can't see it. I would say wait, if you can, until you have moved in, have the stools in place, counters cleaned off and etc. It is different and that is what I like

• lizzieplace
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Grandmaof3, yes all are lit. The canopy on the middle one is larger so the bulb is not showing as much. Thank you for your advise. I will take it to heart.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

Hood looks low to me as well. Look at where it is hitting the man standing beside it. I would have that checked.
    I know the light fixture seems to disappear in the cabinet color but I think once everything else is in place it will be OK. It's not that big a deal to change out a light fixture.
    I don't really care for the bling chandelier myself, just not my thing. I checked out the rest of the Conduit light collection at Troy, I love them all, now those chandeliers I could live with lol. I really thank you for posting this because I think I have a spot for some of these, especially the outside one that is on clearance.

Definitely want to see your finished house. So Are you really at the north pole? :-)

• sixkeys
    9 years ago

Your plans are beautiful! Where are the counter stools from?

• patricianat
    9 years ago

I have that light fixture (probably not the same one) but just like it, only in nickel. I have had it for about 8 years. I love mine.