Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
window covering for family room help

Posted by massagerocks (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 26, 12 at 10:00

Hi everyone,
When we moved into our house 15 years ago, i had Hunter Douglas Silhouettes installed on our windows and planned on doing the drapes as I got a feel for the house. Well, I still have no drapes! Here is my family room, which i'd like to try first. Any ideas? We get too much sunlight through this window and I'm thinking of putting window film on the top smaller windows. Would it be weird to mix window coverings? I like the texture of woven blinds and wonder how those might look on the top windows and then drapes on the bottom part? Where should I hang the rod? I like muted,subtle patterns but should I match the wall color or do a different color. The colors aren't photographing quite true. The walls are SW Blonde and the rug is more gold than it looks in the pic. I'm open to all ideas, I have no clue!
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: window covering for family room help

What a lovely room with nice, natural light.

I think I would probably get the top windows tinted as well. Maybe plantation shutters on the lower windows?

Or else a high rod over all of the windows with curtains on either side that you could pull closed if you needed?

Not sure on color, the carpet reads a light cream on my screen, so I don't know what to suggest, since the coloring is off for me.

o

Here are a few more pics I took this morning with the shades down. If I put a rod above all the windows, would it look weird if I put woven blinds (which I'd keep pulled down) on the top windows? Or should I leave them bare? Any ideas on types of drapes...I don't know what color or pattern would look best. My couch and another chair in the room are burgundy leather (getting old so may be changed someday maybe grays/browns?)
Photobucket

Photobucket
rug
Photobucket

o

I think the two different types of shades wouldn't look right. If you use shades on the top windows that block the light a lot, would you miss some of that light?

RE: drapes, I would hang them just below the ceiling line and have them wider than the entire group of windows by quite a bit. (Wide enough that when the curtains are open, they can be pushed back out of the way and barely cover the edges of the windows.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here