Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trinityklm

Glidden's new Ultra High Gloss Trim and Door Paint--NOT happy

trinityklm
12 years ago

I'll start by saying this is my first experience with alkyd paint, so maybe my expectations were too high, but I am not happy with the results of this paint.

I decided to paint my front door, inside and out, black and liked the idea of a high-gloss shine. The door is metal and has a large arched window in it, so there isn't even that much door. I prepped the surface as instructed and brushed it on. The brush marks were terrible! It says right on the can "no brush marks". If I applied too thickly, it sagged, so I tried to go thick, but not too thick. The guy at HD said it levels out really nice, so I gave it time, but after 24 hours I could see every brush mark.

So, I decided to roll the next coat with a foam roller. First I had to cut in around the window, then I rolled. Fist of all, it splattered. And when it dried I could see all the cut in marks, and if I missed even the tiniest spot, like near the edges, with the roller, it's very obvious.

So, now it's been 24 hours and my door looks awful. Luckily, I only painted the interior side so far. I don't think I want to double down on ugly, so I think I'm going to go back to a semi-gloss latex paint.

The purpose of this post is two-fold: 1) Warn anyone else about this paint (I admit it could be user-error, but you should know my experience before you try it anyway); and 2) Do I have to wait for the alkyd paint to cure (30 days?) before I hit it with a primer so I can switch over to latex?

Comments (18)

• trinityklm
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Graywings,

I didn't take the door off the hinges, but they gal in the commercial didn't either, so I figured I didn't have to. :-)

• Michael
    12 years ago

The door will need to be flat (horizontal) in order for you to brush out enough paint fast enough for it to level. Once it's brushed on, DO NOT BRUSH BACK INTO THE AREA or brush marks will appear.

Since you're unhappy with it, and I understand why, it's best to let it dry enough so that sanding will dust out. Once sanded, you can repaint it with acrylic enamel. (no primer needed)Just clean and dull.

WARNING: The brush marks will not disappear unless you physically remove them by a. sanding or b. stripping to bare substrate.

Read my reply to Jen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Glidden Paint

• trinityklm
    Original Author
    12 years ago

brushworks,

Thanks for the reply. What makes me mad is that all the instructional videos on YouTube (posted by Glidden), show people painting on horizontal surfaces. Are you saying one would have to remove all their trim, and paint it horizontally to get a smooth finish? Because if that's the case, then this is pretty misleading advertising.

Would you wait a few days or weeks to sand it? I don't want to make it worse. I would love to not have to prime, so I'm glad to hear I might not have to.

• Michael
    12 years ago

You have to wait until the paint is dry enough to dust when sanded. It may take weeks or a month, depending on the temp and humidity.

I can paint a door in the vertical position because I have experience, but I don't. It's much easier to work on a horizontal door, especially with heavy bodied alkyd or acrylic enamel paints.

Advertising is sales marketing hype. Most folks at paint counters and marketing offices have never spread paint. :(

• DLM2000-GW
    12 years ago

***Most folks at paint counters and marketing offices have never spread paint. :(***

Brushworks - Truer words were never written!! I am continually amazed that people will ask for advice at big box paint counters or even at independents. And not just for basic paint instruction but trying to solve moisture issues or blending issues!

• trinityklm
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Okay, I get that big box people aren't the most knowledgeable, but we should be able to follow the manufacturer's instructions and get somewhat decent results, IMHO.

dlm2000, I don't think it's "amazing" that people ask the people who SELL the paint for some advice. That's what they're supposed to do. And there are some good people out there. But it's luck of the draw. And if you can't trust the manufacturer, of all people, sheesh! I always google whatever advice I get to double/triple check it. In this case, the paint was so new it didn't help me much.

So, I'm spreading the word not to buy Glidden's Trim and Door Paint unless you want to lay everything horizontally or like brush marks. Not me!

• Michael
    12 years ago

All manufacturers stretch the claims of their products. Whether it's a car or furniture, hype sells products.

Did you know that there's a car wax that lasts forever? :)

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    12 years ago

Home Store or independent paint store - it is a crap-shoot.

And it's the reason why forums like this one and others, as well as blogs about paint and color, are so incredibly popular. But that information comes with risks too. The b.s. I see published on blogs about paint makes me shudder -- not to mention how they butcher core concepts of color.

There are literally THOUSANDS of people out there who have been burned by the marketing hype. "Color Stories" is a big buzz phrase right now in color world. When I saw that, first thing that came to mind was a lot of people have paint and color stories and it ain't always pretty.

I have some experience working with independents so I guess I'm not shocked at their lack of working knowledge when it comes to paint and ZERO expertise when it comes to color. What's shocking is they think they're at the top of their game. And they aren't.

In many ways, consumers are on their own.

• GliddenPaints
    12 years ago

Hey Trinityklm,

I am a representative of Glidden Paints and I would like to help you. I just read your post and the issues you are having. Our product is specifically designed to level after painting so there are no brush marks, but your situation sounds like that didn't happen. Please contact our customer service at 1-800-GLIDDEN (454-3336) and we can help you with this. Our phone lines are open from 8 AM to 5:30 PM during the week, or you can email us at gliddenpaint@akzonobel.com if that works better. Thank you Trinityklm

Here is a link that might be useful: Glidden.com

• aliensweetie
    12 years ago

what was the resolution on this issue? having same problem now it s been 24 hrs and don t know if I can sand etc..??

• trinityklm
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Aliensweetie,

I ended up sanding my door down with a little hand sander about 72 hours after it dried. I switched over to Benjamin Moore Aura and it looks great. I wish you the best of luck!

• patty_cakes
    12 years ago

I was going to suggest a self-leveling paint, but here's a product that will make any paint self leveling~~who knew? It might be worth a try and save you from further aggravation. ;o)

Here is a link that might be useful: not a paint...

• Dave Mills
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hello I live in Alpharetta Georgia. I fell in love with Glidden paint after it was recommended to me by a Home Depot employee because I always had problems using oil base paint and having brush stripes in the final finish. Using Glidden paint made it look like my paintwork was done by professionals. I started using your paint all over my house, on wood trimming, on windows, side boards, on everyplace I had wood in my house I was using Glidden paint. After a few months I started using Glidden paint I started noticing that the glossy look was fading and I wasn't seeing that beautiful finish as I was days after I use the Glidden paint. I started also noticing that the exterior areas on my house where I used Glidden paint it started to mildew. I also used Glidden paint on my rental property interior and exterior and was seeing the same result the interior part of the house where I used Glidden paint the paint glossy look was fading and the exterior was building up a mildew. I am very concerned with what I am seeing and hope there's no help issue with this paint. please see the attached pictures that I am sending with this post.

• lizmartinez35
    7 years ago

Glidden Trim door & furniture was a disaster. I am so upset with this product. I had no luck what so ever. I brought the right brush the white china brush that is recommended in the ad, Thank god I only did one side. The paint would not go on the door you can see thru the paint, brush streaks. When painting the door it was sticky and pasty. All my life I have used all different kind of paints, this has to be the worst paint ever. My door is ruined . Now I have to do double work, I am not in any condition health wise to sand this door or stripped it. I will put a primer than paint it over. I hope this works. By the way my door was prime before i used the Glidden trim a door. I did exactly what had to be done.

• lizmartinez35
    7 years ago

I WAIT 72 HR. THAN I PAINT MY DOOR OVER WITH THE BEHR PAINT AND PRIMER

I JUST WENT OVER THE GLIDDEN TRIM A DOOR GEL PAINT AND IT WORK. I DID NOT HAVE TO STRIP OR SAND IT DOWN, TG IT WORK I WAS SO HAPPY, I THOUGHT I HAD TO PAID SOMEONE TO COME AND STRIP OR SAND THE DOOR FOR ME. I AM SORRY TO SAY I WOULD NEVER USE THAT GLIDDEN TRIM A DOOR GEL PAINT AGAIN. FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT HAD THE SAME PROBLEM NOW YOU KNOW YOU CAN PAINT OVER IT WITH ANOTHER PAINT IT WORK FOR ME MY DOOR LOOKS GREAT.

LIZ MARTINEZ

• eastautumn
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

For what it's worth, we've had regular (not "High Gloss Trim & Door") Glidden paint on most of the interior and all of the exterior of our home for over 11 years and it's held up very nicely. We used the semi-gloss finish on our upstairs trim and doors. Most of it was sprayed on (not brushed) by our builder's contractors, though we've brushed the semi-gloss onto crown moulding and bead board we added about 8 years ago and painted walls/ceilings ourselves with eggshell/flat. I don't see a quality difference between the walls we've painted ourselves with Glidden vs. those we've painted with Sherwin Williams or Ben Moore's Aura and Regal paints.

I don't have an allegiance to one brand of paint and am VERY picky about color, so choose brand depending on which color I like best for a space. I happen to like a lot of Glidden's colors which is why I have a lot of experience with their paints.

I think all high-gloss paints are difficult to roll on and get a perfect finish, so wouldn't necessarily blame it on the brand... My husband stained and finished all of our downstairs wood work and doors and originally tried to use a high-gloss clear coat over the stain (I don't remember the brand-- not Glidden though), but decided to switch to a satin clear coat because it was so much easier to apply and get an even finish. The areas where he first applied the high-gloss clear coat (and then went over them later with the satin) don't look as nice as those with just the satin clear coat. He did remove all the doors to finish them horizontally (not the trim work and built-ins).

• bobjax
    7 years ago

I didn't want to ever strip again. But I had to. Used Citristrip. Now I want to strip versus sand everything. Sanding is a pain. Striping with this brand was fun and easy. Try an area and see if you like it. Follow the instructions, which are simple. I used Klean strip after wash. Beware of the wait time before stripper removal.

I will sand again if I only have to rough up a surface prior to painting so the paint (or primer) grabs.

#1 Rule I: PLEASE TEST ANY NEW PRODUCT YOU USE ON A TEST BOARD FIRST!!!!