Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rgps

Hardwood scraps need purpose in life.

rgps
9 years ago

Jezbo and Jethro put the last nail in the hardwood floor so it's all ready for mr.sanding/finishing to start in the a.m. Geeze, he says the whole process will take 6 days so stink and dust.

So my question is: any hip and cool ideas of what to do with the leftover scraps. It is 3/4" quarter sawn white oak and oh so lovely. I googled "fab ideas for leftover hardwood flooring" and if you can imagine that was a not a well covered topic. So what are your fab ideas of what to do with it. This is half of the scrap pile. No more tables needed. Zircon abounds in furniture of the dubious variety.

Comments (18)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Do you need wood boards in your kitchen?

Flooring in the dog house?

Framing for pictures?

Table top?

Burn it for heat.

Save some for patching the floor when it gets damaged

Door stops

Book ends

Lamp base

• finallyhome
    9 years ago

Type in "scrap wood floor ideas" on Pinterest and you'll get lots of ideas.

• mclarke
    9 years ago

A very small deck.

An elegant birdhouse.

Many many toothpicks.

• graywings123
    9 years ago

A neighbor has a lovely 1 foot high picket fence around a front flower bed that I covet. I will snap a photo later today and post.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I was thinking like mclarke, i.e.: birdhouse, doghouse, squirrel house, flower boxes...

• 1929Spanish
    9 years ago

This won't help you, but it reminded me of the night my husband and I had too much to wine near the end of our remodel. We had all these scraps in the yard and were SURE there was a good use for them. Took a bunch and put it in the garage. A few weeks later when we were getting moved back in and cleaning up, we looked at all the cr@p in the garage and wondered what we were thinking. Needless to say, we kept a few pieces in case of repairs and dumped the rest.

• mclarke
    9 years ago

Offer it free on Craigslist.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Save them for the inevitable floor repairs!

Lay them flat, supported on blocks, in a dry place.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

On one of the Sarah Richardson's she faced the back side of the kitchen island with reclaimed lumber...I suppose you could do that with hardwood too.

Or you can use it as a backsplash...maybe not in a kitchen but in a laundry room or bar area...you can lay the boards on a diagonal or do a herringbone pattern.

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

Make wooden trivets.

Frame small pictures.

Offer some to a woodworking class.

• eaga
    9 years ago

You could build a xylophone.

Here is a link that might be useful: Xylophone plans

• rgps
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh I love the xylophone idea.

1. We have that collecting unused supplies in spades. And we don't even drink.

Missing and Annie,
    I think the picture frames is a winner too. I have black and white art photos that want to be displayed but the framing needs to be consistent and simple.
    This wood would fit the bill perfectly.

Will for sure save some for repairs.

Thanks all.

• Adella Bedella
    9 years ago

I'd make some cool signs for your house or garden.

You could also make shadow boxes.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

more art

Here is a link that might be useful: string art

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I built a platform bed, basically one big box with tongue and groove floor boards (top one needs to have the tongue sawed off). Then you add an inside frame for slats. I could imagine that you can also build a window seat, bookshelves, table top, or a headboard. Or maybe back of a kitchen island.

It kind of looked like this.

• rgps
    Original Author
    9 years ago

How'd they get that big old plant to grow in that ittybitty pot?

Good ideas all. Nosoccermom, that platform bed makes me think maybe a box for firewood would be good since we nixed the window seat idea we were going to make for the wood box. Oh goody, something more to,design.

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company