Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
balego_gw

Please help me with this living space?(pic heavy)

balego_gw
15 years ago

A couple of years ago, I had posted this room asking what the first impression of this room was. I received an overwhelming response which was very positive. It is a difficult space, as it is long and very narrow and is both our living/dining room, having three windows in awkward places as well as two large doorways. The room has changed slightly since my first post, below is how it looked two years ago.

{{gwi:1624496}}

And now

{{gwi:1805713}}

Since that first post, we put in all new windows and trim, framed in the doorway and added the french doors. The blinds are cherry wood, and the floor is all new hardwood. As you can see, everything is in shades of brown now. I didn't plan it that way, it just happened to end up all browns.

The only colour is the drapery panels. I would really like to add accessories, but although I do see things that appeal to me, I really don't know what kind of things would suit the space, nor how to arrange things. I tend to buy little things that arent expensive, but then think they look sort of silly once I get them home, such as that plastic plant thing on the coffee table and the fake greens on the small console table. I need more lighting, but don't know what lamps would look good, nor where to put them. THe (fake) fireplace needs light over it, but even that small one looks too tall up there. And to me it would look strange to have a lamp on the table beside the sofa as it is not far from the one on the fireplace. But light is indeed needed there.

Can you give me some direction and maybe a suggestion for a different colour I can place in there for a bit of interest? Just fyi...the furniture placement is pretty much how it has to be unless I ditch the fireplace. It looks best where it is, believe me, I tried numerous arrangements and nothing else works. Also, the large TV there is going in the basement family room. The original TV (shown in before pic), will be put back on the console once we build the unit to hold the larger one in our basement. Okay, here is the rest of the space.

{{gwi:1805714}}

{{gwi:1805715}}

{{gwi:1805716}}

{{gwi:1805717}}

And the whole room looking from the kitchen

{{gwi:1805718}}

Comments (24)

• wodka
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Your home is exquisite! I can't think of anything I would do differently. In fact, I'm going to look closer and see if I can copy any of YOUR ideas!

• johnatemp
    15 years ago

I think you have a very lovely space. Love the paint color & it looks great with the terracotta drapes.

You already have your accent color - terracotta. I would also add some leopard print in for fun!!

A bigger rug with terracotta, browns, creams and a touch of blue or aqua would be great. I think a blue would be a great accent, too. Big enough that the front feet of your furniture goes on the rug.

Could you switch the side table by the chair with the table by the sofa? Maybe a unique and fun floor lamp by the chair in the corner.

The coffee table is a little big to me - it blocks the view to the fireplace. This may be drastic - cut the legs off some??!! Otherwise a nice upholstered ottoman would look great there - you could find a fabric that is yummy with all your colors. If you keep the coffee table - add books & basket on the shelf.

I am seeing great fall earthy colors so I would go with more natural accents. Think of things found in nature. cool piece of driftwood, basket of pinecones, ferns, etc.

What about a big mirror on your DR wall opposite of the window? You could then work your artwork around in the den part.

Just a quick glance at Ballards - maybe something like this rug?

Smiles:)
    Oh, and I love the doggies!! Mine waller all over my furniture, too:):)

Here is a link that might be useful: Ballard rug

• johnatemp
    15 years ago

Oh, and this is a blog that I LOVE!! She has used alot of terracotta accents in her home - this woman is so out of my league but it is great eye candy & even better ideas!!

And I like her music on her blog:)

Here is a link that might be useful: Designs by Gollum

• parma42
    15 years ago

Thanks a lot, johnatemp (not!). Now I have to figure out a way to win the lottery. I desperately need those red window treatments that are framing her red chest in the yellow room, near the top of her blog. It has a white coffee table with a marble top...

I bookmarked that site.

• les917
    15 years ago

I love the room, and loved it the last time you showed us the space! But I understand that things need to change sometimes, and with the color issues, etc. you are ready.

Thinking outside the box a bit here, hope you don't mind. I get the impression that the fireplace is okay with you, but not something about which you are passionate. And, as someone mentioned, the fireplace is really lost behind the coffeetable.

Suppose you move the fireplace off that wall. Place the couch centered there, coffeetable in front of it, long side of the rug running parallel to the couch. Place the large end table down at the right end of the couch, with a lamp. Use the other little table that is currently against the wall left of the fireplace as an end table at the left end of the couch.

Place the leather chair at a right angle to the couch, its back against the end wall of the room. It will share that large end table with the couch. Front legs of all furniture on the rug.

Keep the console/tv where it is. Consider adding a tall floor plant to the left of the console and use an uplight in the pot or on the floor behind it to bring some soft lighting to that side of the room, that won't interfere with the TV.

Now, turn the DR table the other direction, so it runs longways parallel to the length of the room. Take the fireplace and put on the wall to the right of the french doors, so that the fireplace is now in the dining room.

Wondering if the LR rug would fit under the dining table, and you could look for a more color saturated rug (corals, greens, etc) for the LR?

Gather up all the artwork, and create a large grouping over the couch. The mix of frames and sizes will be very sophisticated. Keep the four fruit pix that are on the DR wall to group over the fireplace there. Add buffet lamps on either end of the mantel for some nice ambient lighting when the DR is not in use, so you don't have to have the overhead glare of the chandy.

It is hard to tell from the pix, but your walls appear to have a cool taupe color on them. Tho I love it, I am thinking with the new floors and all the warmer browns in the leather, the walls seem kind of glum. Think about a bit warmer brown, or go to a bronze color. That should work well if you bring in more deep coral/rusty red as your drapery appears to be.

Keep the cute doggies, for sure!

• declansmom
    15 years ago

LOVE your room. It is warm, inviting and peaceful. I agree with johnatemp about switching the tables by the sofa and chair. I also agree about the coffee table. It seems too large for the space. Is it possible to put it in another room and get a circular ottoman to break up some of the square edges in the room.
    Other than that, maybe move some pictures around, and the room is perfect.

• balego_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much everyone for your great responses and ideas, and in such a short time after I posted, too!! Pardon me if my reply is disjointed.. I'm trying to address all suggestions and comments so keep going back and forth in the posting so as not to miss anything.

Gosh, the first time I posted this room I was blown away by the comments that the room was liked so much, and once again I am blown away. See... it is a room put together on a very small budget and I always have to choose items within that budget rather than being able to buy the things I absolutely fall in love with. So I do like our stuff, but it isn't the stuff I really wished I could have. lol. Cept the dogs, of course (although there are days I wish I had goldfish instead). ;)

Funny, just the other day I thought about taking a couple of inches off the legs of the coffee table. More because it is a little too high when I put my feet up, not because I thought it was blocking the view. But it is, isn't it?
    Those three tables were bought off of Craiglist for a total of $125 for the three of them, replacing the first coffee table that didn't seem to go with our replacement sofa. Trust me, they are a lot larger in real life than they looked in the CL photo. lol. But the price was right.

I can't put the larger end table beside the sofa, as the room is too narrow. There isnt enough room between the sofa and the doorway as it is. The sofa actually belongs on the long wall, but the fireplace placement has prevented that. I can try Les' suggestion to move the fireplace to the dining wall. As much as we love the ambience of the fp on winter days, it has been a problem trying to arrange the room around it. You are so right, Les. I like the fireplace, but don't love it. It was the solution to fill our desire for a real one that we couldn't afford. Now I realize that a real one would be a permanent fixture leaving NO options for rearranging! (maybe I should just use a lot of candles for that warm fuzzy feeling?) lol

I love the rug suggested! It is one like I wanted, but we bought a cheap Costco rug that I knew was too small and too muted but wanted something to protect the new floors from the dogs nails. Guess what... nothing protects the floors from the dogs nails! lol

I will try out the furniture placement suggestions offered, although I can't guarantee they will work as the space is smaller than the pictures show and I won't know if things will fit until I try. Turning the dining table longways might very well put the end of it into the kitchen doorway.

Jonatemp, the suggestion of aqua is something I did consider, but haven't found items yet to try with that colour. I did buy a silver sage toss pillow for my bedroom a couple of years ago, and when I put it against the brown walls I was amazed at how nicely it went. But I havent known how to go about adding that colour in with the screaming coral and tan curtains.

The art is certainly moveable, as well as changable. I have an unlimited supply I can use.
    Les, you do clearly notice the cool tones in the wall colour. Although deep brown, there is a slight purple tint in certain light. Matter of fact, when I repainted it after the new window trim was installed, my DH was shocked when I told him it was brown. He sees the room as grey and can't see the brown at all!
    I wanted to keep the colour but change the paint brand, so it used to be Behr Flowerwood, and is now BM Driftwood. Same colour but a nicer finish in BM.

Can anyone suggest lamp styles for this room? Low priced lamps? I picked up the ones I have at our Canadian equivalent of TJ Max, so I end up with a mish mash of stuff just because it was priced low, not because it was the best choice.

I will also check out the links, thanks so much!
    Hope you stick with me .. I have a DIY kitchen I'm going to need help with as we are at the stage of deciding on backsplash and because it is permanent, I don't trust myself enough to choose tile. You are all so great at being able envision spaces and give help!

:)

I'm going to go right downstairs and try moving things around and will report back. I so much appreciate all the great help and responses!

• balego_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay, I'm back with photos. I moved stuff around, as you can see. The first problem was that if the recliner was placed flat on the end wall, it would mean trying to see the TV with head turned sideways. DH would not like that, so I angled the chair.
    My first reaction to this new arrangement is space! Wow, I have a room under all this furniture? Okay, not huge space, but I don't have to detour around things just to get to the kitchen! Rug is too small to place furniture feet on it without cramping things up so I will wait until the day I can convince DH we need a new rug. (I still want to try it under the dining table, seeing it isnt doing a whole lot to protect the floors anyway.)
    I will need to rearrange the art, and maybe frame some to fit better.

Jonatemp, I agree with Parma re that blog. Darn you anyway. lol! What gorgeous decor!

Here is the new arrangement. Any thoughts on it this way?

{{gwi:1805719}}

{{gwi:1805720}}

{{gwi:1805721}}

And moving to the other end of the room...

{{gwi:1624495}}

{{gwi:1805723}}

{{gwi:1805725}}

• User
    15 years ago

WOW>...I was just looking at this thread as I have a couple rooms I want change. The arrangement looks wonderful now. Les was SO right. The fp looks great in the DR and the LR part now does look so much bigger. I love the colors in your home and the french doors really look nice. I think you are definitely on your way. Rearranging pics will now be the only thing left to do. It really does look super. c

• parma42
    15 years ago

I did a quick search of the table lamps on sale at Lampsplus.

This is a color I would recommend. You could actually do a bolder pattern, though, as you are missing that feature in your room.

Your kitchen looks lovely from what I can see. Love the different color island and the wall color. In keeping with that look, how would you (and anyone else reading this) feel about painting the fireplace? Instead of the normal black, I was thinking more along the lines of the trim color, keeping the inset black.

Here is a link that might be useful: Table lamp

• balego_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thankyou, Trailrunner and Parma. I am really liking the arrangement, and my DH came home to receive delievery of our new countertops, and loved it! He didn't even mind that the fireplace was in the dining room. He said it looks 'romantic' there.

uh oh. lol

He also said that we've been hiding our beautiful new floors, and he is right.

I like that I will be able to see the TV better from the sofa. DH has a great view from his chair, but I was always finding it a little uncomfortable from the sofa, but I put up with it.

The paintings will take some time to work out, but all in all I'm very happy. Can you imagine that we used to have a loveseat in that space as well? Ditching it was a good thing, and moving the fireplace to the dining room allowed the opportunity for so much more open space!

I love that lamp, parma! And in a quick check, it seems they do ship to Canada! Wonder of wonders! As for painting the fireplace, I would rather part with it altogether than paint it. It actually comes in white, but we chose the wood. Don't get me wrong.. white would work, but DH would kill me. lol

I am going to make another post about my kitchen. My countertops are in and now I need to make a decision on tile very quickly.

• parma42
    15 years ago

LOL about the fireplace. My DH would never do it, either.

Your spaces are becoming truly beautiful.

• donnawb
    15 years ago

I like the new arrangement as it opens the room so much. Great job!

I also like the idea of getting some terracotta pillows and maybe something with terracotta for the coffee table. Love the FP in the dining room.

• les917
    15 years ago

Glad you like the rearrangement. I think it works well.

If you need lamps, does JC Penney ship to you? They have a huge sale on lamps right now - lots of good things at good prices.

One other request. I would move the tv stand a bit closer to the french doors, to make viewing from the couch easier. You don't have to center the tv on that wall. If you add the tall plant and uplight as suggested, to the left side of the tv, that will fill some of the open wall space caused by moving the tv/stand to the right a bit.

Can't wait to see what you do with all the art.

Oh, yeah. The coffeetable. I really would be tempted to cut down the legs to maybe a couple of inches, so that it looks more like a block foot. I think the table feels top heavy on those small curved legs. Cutting it down will make the couch feel more accessible, too.

• balego_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi dd and Les. Yes, the new arrangement is really so much better! DH mentioned more than once in the last 14 hours or so that it is like a different house. He loves it!

Lol, Les. Last night when watching TV, I wondered if I should scootch the TV over toward the doors. I will do that today. I would really like to mount our smaller one on the wall there eventually, and change out the console (that is really a sofa table that was bought as a quick cheap replacement for a table I broke that used to house the media equipment. Me and water and fresh flowers do NOT make a good combination. Ask me how I know.)

Cutting down the coffee table makes sense. Not a big deal to do.

JC Penny doesn't ship to Canada, so I'll have to look around locally for lamps.

As for the art, when I get the chance later I'll switch out some paintings and see how they look. I have a couple more food themed ones, as well as other still life subjects, and some florals. Would you recommend a group of small paintings, or a couple of large ones? And should they stay within the boundary of the fireplace, or is it okay to go the length of that wall as they are now?

Thanks again! :)

• kimberlyrkb
    15 years ago

I loved your room when you first posted and think I love it even more now! I could move right in.

Weren't you a Magnaverde "winner" one year?? Or am I just remembering him making comments about your room?

• robynpa
    15 years ago

I think it looks fab before and after! The paint color is great also!

• balego_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thankyou, Kim and Robyn! Kimberly, yes, Magnaverde loved my room and said he could move right in. Of course,I'm sure it wouldn't take a week with my three rowdy dogs and he'd move right back out again, but yeah.. he quite liked the space. Told me not to change a thing.

Fast forward two years and I found myself in the position of having to make changes. See that furniture in the first photo? My sons' 9 month old pup ate most of it. lol. And what was left I accidently tried to drown. The furniture.. not the dog. (thats a whole other story!)
    But gosh, I couldn't even yell at her because I didn't actually catch her in the act. When I walked into the room and she grinned at me from the leather chair that had a nice new five inch hole in the arm, she was the only canine in the house with burgundy leather fluff on her teeth. In the course of two weeks, she munched on that chair, my coffee table leg, the back of the cream leather sofa, the woodwork up the stairs, and took a nice big bite out of the drawer front on my pot drawers. Then she went into heat.. which explained her unusually destructive behaviour. I miss the little darling. She has since been spayed, and is living in Australia with our son.
    Who could get angry at this face? ;)

{{gwi:1805727}}

• mpwdmom
    15 years ago

She looks guilty as sin, lol! :)

Your room is beautiful and I love the TV that is now NOT over the fireplace. It's lovely!

Susan

• loribee
    15 years ago

Your home is wonderful! It looks so warm and inviting!

• neesie
    15 years ago

As far as I can see, you need no help with your living space; as a matter of fact, I'd love it if you'd help me with mine. You've got great taste!

And LOL about your hubby not wanting to paint the fireplace. It's in the man-book. (Thou shalt not paint wood.)

• johnatemp
    15 years ago

Wow - you work fast!!

Looks fantastico & that Les is simply amazing with space planning - among her many talents.

Enjoy your space - it is gorgeous.

• catkin
    15 years ago

Simply gorgeous. Thanks for sharing!
    Did you mention the brand and color name of your walls? I missed it, if so, thanks again!

• caminnc
    15 years ago

I didn't think it could get any better than the original you posted a couple of years ago but you proved me wrong. It looks wonderful.