Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_1288772

Pop of Color or Whiplash? - Pictures

User
12 years ago

I know I need to add a pop of color in my LR, which is currently, gold, green and chocolate. Could you see this chest painted in turquoise/teal/aqua

{{!gwi}}

In this corner next to the green chair?

{{!gwi}}

Or would it give you whiplash?

Comments (56)

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, dear...differing opinions...what to do, what to do? I usually take the "non-committal" way, too, but this past weekend I caught a Candice Olsen rerun where she painted an old, large buffet turquoise and repurposed for the LR. I really loved it but wondered whether I could live with it.

Vases etc are possible as well.

@Cooperbailey - the photos take a while to load, but they're showing on my screen.

Here are a couple other photos of the room

There is no color pop...others have suggested using a rug in the LR for pop and to define the room.

I do like the chest and was thinking the straight lines with brass fittings could channel a Chinoiserie effect to coordinate with the Quan Yin lamps. Maybe not? Hmmm...

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Where are my manners? I should have said I really do appreciate your opinions and ideas!

• ynnej
    12 years ago

I would stain the chest a deeper color and change the hardware. I second the turquoise vase/ lamp idea.

• User
    12 years ago

javachik-

I'd paint it a deep, rich turquoise in a heartbeat, and I'd keep the brass hardware, I think turq and brass are a great combo and would work nicely with the coffee table. The only I would make sure of is that the turquoise is strong and deep so that it works with the green upholstered chairs. On my monitor they look really minty (probably aren't IRL) and while I like the turq and green combo, I would want a strong, even smoky turq to ensure that the chairs and chest together didn't give off a Candyland vibe.

sandyponder

• User
    12 years ago

I am curious. Why do you feel your room needs a "pop" of anything, particularly a color that doesn't relate to anything else there? I have seen so many otherwise well-decorated rooms completely ruined because someone wanted a "pop" of something.

It's HGTV speak, IMO, and that channel has a lot to answer for. I think your room looks serene with the current colors. I would add turquoise ONLY if I loved the color.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

kswl - Friends who have actually seen my house usually comment on need for more vibrancy and my lack of "collections". I suppose I'm second guessing myself. I know my tolerance for objets de junk is very low.

• nostalgicfarm
    12 years ago

I would either stain it darker or paint it another color. I don't think turquoise goes well enough with the colors in the room to have it on a larger piece. I agree that using turquoise as an accent would be nice, but would pick a different color if you are wanting to paint, maybe plum (that is what color your couch appears on my screen) ?

• katrina_ellen
    12 years ago

I think if it would be in more of a focal point location like the credenza I would consider painting it, but not over in the corner, I think it would look unbalanced and draw too much attention to a corner. I agree with a lot of the other posters, use turquoise for some accessories. Very cool room, I think a few pops of color would be enough.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    12 years ago

Would totally paint it turquoise - a complex, dark color.

Then I'd distribute some more of that hue - lighter in value and/or darker in value around the room.

Can do it by adding a rug, new drapery, pillows, accessories, etc.

Think painting would take a relatively unremarkable piece and elevate the piece per se and the room to a more visually interesting level.

• fuzzywuzzer
    12 years ago

I vote against painting it turquoise. I think you need some interesting art pieces for the tables and a great centerpiece on the dining table.

To me, your room has a sophistication that would be ruined and unbalanced by putting a turquoise chest in the corner. I agree that turquoise in objects such as a bowl would suffice to perk things up.

• jterrilynn
    12 years ago

Like said above, a dark stain would look real nice. If you want some "pop" some muted coral accents would do it. However, what you have now looks very pretty.

• ynnej
    12 years ago

It is a very pretty room. I'm not crazy about the idea of rugs over carpet. I like your use of lavender, and how the drapes work with the couch and cushions. I think it would be nice to carry that over to the other half of the room. Maybe by putting throw pillows on those chairs, or even a lavender- colored centerpiece on the table.

• andee_gw
    12 years ago

Another vote for a darker stain and lamp/vase/objet d'art in a turquoise color. With a painted chest, next to a colored chair, it is no longer a "pop", almost by definition. The chair and the chest will compete with each other, or blend -- neither of which is desirable. If you don't want a lot of objects around, then "pop" the pillows on the sofa.

• roarah
    12 years ago

i really like your room the lines of your furniture, I think, add a lot of pop!!! It is lovely. Start simple with accents if you are still not feeling it than revisit changing the finish maybe?

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    12 years ago

Java, The room is very nice. I wonder if you are opposed to patterns? I see stripes in the drapes and pillows, but no other pattern. You might be able to find a nice Asian theme fabric that contains the colors you want to bring in and add interest that way, via pillows, or in patterned glassware.

I am a pattern on pattern 'girl' and have many in every room, including the rugs. My upholstered and leather pieces are solid in the LR, but there is plenty of 'interest' in the room's pattern and accessories.

• blfenton
    12 years ago

Go and buy a meter of cheap turquoise fabric as close to the colour that your are thinking of and drape it over the piece of furniture. See how you like it.
    I like the idea of the idea (?) but you would, I think, have to have other points of turquoise in the room as well.

• User
    12 years ago

Javachik----"objets de junk"----LOL! I have a few of those and should start editing :)
    I know what you mean about second guessing yourself, too. But I do still think there is a place for a room furnished in quiet good taste...

• cindyloo123
    12 years ago

I love your chairs. As someone else suggested, go get a big piece of fabric in the color you want to add. Put it over the chest, try it out as a tablecloth in the dining room, etc. This will give you an idea of how such a large infusion of the color will affect the room.

• rmkitchen
    12 years ago

Thank you for posting more pics of your room -- it has a specific vibe to it, which is fun.

So I'm of the two-minds camp: I could see painting it turquoise ONLY IF you also pop some add'l turquoise in your room, through throw pillows / vases / artwork (as others have
    suggested).

My other mind says staining it a similar color to the other wood pieces in your room and then, **if you feel the room needs it**, adding color with art / objets.

I liked how my3dogs put it because I am a more is more (as in better) kind o' gal too, pattern on pattern equals fabulous. But that's ME, or that's US.

The chic unadorned aesthetic is lovely too, so don't lose sight of who you are and what makes your eye, your heart happy when you enter that room.

• InteriorStylist
    12 years ago

I think it all depends on your choice of area rug/no area rug. If you do an area rug, it should be the light aqua that you & I like. In that case, NO to a painted cabinet. It will be too much.

Restraint is good taste, & you only need a couple more elements for completion, so choose wisely. If it were ME, I'd choose the area rug with color over the cabinet being painted.

~Jeana

• rmkitchen
    12 years ago

InteriorStylist -- while I understand your point I do want to add that "good taste" and "restraint" are not exclusively mutual to one another ... we also see situations where abundance equals good taste and restrained equals dull.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm really feeling better with what to do. I was thinking while driving home about how to mock up that chest. I was thinking of painted foam board, but (duh!) the fabric is so much simpler! (I also have some dark fabric to simulate a darker stain.)

Cindyloo - That same pop-of-color fabric will definitely find its way to the DR table - great idea! I'm chomping at the bit to get started in there with a new china cabinet, chairs, mirror - oh, my!

Jeana - A rug/fabric mock-up is in the works, too!

Thanks to all for such kind comments about my "style" (or at least the way the LR looks now). I like the bones and really appreciate suggestions for how to finish up.

Java

• InteriorStylist
    12 years ago

rmkitchen - "Restraint" does also not mean "dull". Restraint means knowing when to stop, especially in regards to the style one is trying to achieve. In this case, Hollywood/Glam/Deco, less is more. Also the size of the room dictates how much one can possibly do.

Restraint & editing is the most difficult skill a designer can achieve. A home is not a magazine page or a catalog page, or an HGTV episode. Rooms translate differently for a camera or in a furniture store. Having been a Visual Merchandiser in my early days, I know that this is a hard habit to break - throwing things in until it's over-satiated. That is due to people not knowing how to use balance, scale, texture & color to achieve a look instead of "stuff".

Java - I was thinking that perhaps the area above the chest should have a mirror & perhaps THAT should be the aqua/turquoise if you go with the woodtone chest.

~Jeana

• rmkitchen
    12 years ago

With apologies to java for borrowing your thread once again:

Thank you, InteriorStylist for clarifying and expanding upon your previous comment. The way your penultimate read was off-putting, as if you were making a declaration that some things are black and others white, when in fact this is a grey forum in a grey field in a grey world.

I also stand by my comment that Yes, sometimes restraint is too restrained and results in a boring, dull, flat, dead space. Yes, sometimes abundance results in an alive, exciting, invigorating space (think Tony Duquette, Iris Apfel, Sherri Donghia, etc.).

Sometimes restraint can be elegant, beautiful, serene. Sometimes abundance can be cacophonous, migraine-inducing.

I think making sweeping declarations can be dangerous, as well as making assumptions about your anonymous interlocutors here ....

But I do appreciate your further explaining your POV.

Thx, java!

• graywings123
    12 years ago

I'm going to step into the kitchen and get the popcorn ready.

• jterrilynn
    12 years ago

graywings, I'll open the wine if you get the popcorn. I'll eat popcorn while dinking wine, even red wine that I love. The question is...should you drink red or white with popcorn? Or should you not?

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

javachik, just saw this posting. I've been having GW withdraw--was in Alaska and now back frantically getting the house ready to sell, and oh yeah, getting ready for that photo shoot on Thursday!!! OMG, I think I have slept for about 4 hours over the last 6 days.

Anyhoo, I vote to paint it. Did you see this on centsational girl's blog?

take a look.

Bee

Here is a link that might be useful: Centsational Girl's Peacock blue chest

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Whaaattt? I missed popcorn? and wine?

bkw - Thanks for the link - good refinishing techniques. The color combination in the drapery material is what I was thinking of. The pattern isn't appropriate for the look I'm going for (Hollywood Regency/Jonathan Adler-inspired pattern), but was thinking a blue leaning toward green *might* work. Sandyponder's caution about the two colors on large pieces next to each other is well taken. Fabric store, here I come.

• dakota01
    12 years ago

First I love your coffee/cocktail table ! Is it new? If so what brand?

My monitor wsn't showing purple in your drapes, but another poster mentioned it - so why not purple rather than turquise? Purple and Green work very well together. My last house was almost all purples and greens and I loved it..I never got tired of it...

• deeinohio
    12 years ago

Your room is looking great. I love the idea of a turquoise mirror over your stained chest. I googled it and there's tons of options. Here's an inexpensive one, where you can make your own. I think the design in this one would also work well in your room.
    Dee

Here is a link that might be useful: DIY Turquoise Mirror

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@Jeannie01 - Thank you! The cocktail table is new. It's Annie Selke Collection. I found it at Good's Home Furnishings, Hickory Furniture Mart (NC).

Purple? I guess because my last LR scheme was dark green and aubergine/dark plum...

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@deeinohio - I LOVE the idea of a turquoise mirror. Here is your linked mirror (on the left) over the buffet along with other Hollywood Regency style mirrors I like. This would only be a diy paint project. I have a jig saw, but cutting straight lines is not my forte. WDYT?

{{!gwi}}

• InteriorStylist
    12 years ago

(Apologies to java)

rmkitchen - LOL. Yeah I apologize if sometimes my blunt posts come off wrong. I am a very "gray" person in general, but sometimes I'm very strong in my opinion & after years of design, I sometimes feel I have to "put my foot down" with certain clients. Not trying to do that here, but I'm not a very word-y person (I still have that corporate bullet point habit). Please take no offense...take it with a grain of salt & add it to the popcorn. LOL.

You also seem to be opinionated, & I appreciate that. As I said in another thread, 5 designers will do the same room 5 different ways, & the only one that will be "correct" is the one that pleases the homeowner's needs & wants the most.

I'm actually a very laid back person - if you want to know my background, I talked about it in the thread Decorating Out Of Fear on pg 7.

rmkitchen, I'm looking forward to a fun & rewarding & spirited conversation on this site. Hopefully our end game is to help people, which is why I'm here in my passion!!! I'm sure it's why you're here too...so let's get back to helping java & others!!!

Regards & respect to all,

~Jeana

• itltrot
    12 years ago

I've been flip flopping on this for a couple of days. After seeing the rest of your room, I think I'm against painting the chest. I do however like dee's suggestion on a turquoise mirror.

While looking on houzz.com for turquoise mirrors I did run across this picture. Loved the accents of the turquoise around the room.

[contemporary living room design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2103) by los angeles interior designer Zuniga Interiors

• live_wire_oak
    12 years ago

Please please don't paint that chest. It's such a beautiful piece as is. I'd pay to have it shipped to me rather than have it painted. Really. If you're going to paint something, please do a thrift store find that isn't so lovely as is. I really covet it as is.

• blfenton
    12 years ago

Javachik: The current issue of Better Homes and Gardens Special Interest Publication is "Renovation Style" and they have posted a couple of homes that have used turquoise as an accent colour. Might Give you some ideas and inspiration.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@itltrot - Not only do I love the look of the room with turquoise accents, I love that credenza. Earlier this year I suggested the smaller chest just like it for my LR but there was concern that it would clash with or take away from my existing credenza. I think current concern (well expressed) is that the turquoise may be discordant with the existing green elements. Turquoise in the room you show seems to be the only non-neutral color, which may be why it looks so wonderful.

@live_wire_oak - This was a thrift store find...and it has quite a bit of wear. Let's see where this whole adventure takes me, though.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@blfenton - Thank you for the suggestion. I picked it up on my grocery store stop and am looking forward to an after-dinner browse!

• pudgybaby
    12 years ago

I am so sorry to hijack, but can I ask about your dining table and chairs. They are just what I am looking for.

As far as painting the chest: I am with those who hate to see the beautiful graining of that wood covered. I have to admit that it would look lovely in turquoise, too. I think you can't go wrong either way.

When I look at the pics of your room, I see the carpet blending in with the walls. Not enough distinction between the two, IMHO. So although I am not an area rug over carpet type, I think it might provide floor/wall delineation and also serve to define the living area from the dining.

My living room has similar wall and carpet colors so I suffer from the same blending problem. I kick myself every day for picking taupe carpet with my warm color scheme. What was I thinking? Anyhoo, I like black and wood against the gold walls. The black is so crisp and eye catching and the wood so warm with gold. But your room is truly beautiful as-is!

• jockewing
    12 years ago

Ewww, love your blanc de chine figural lamps and the regency coffee and nesting tables! I think it would look fabulous lacquered white with the brass still showing with turquoise pieces on top and a starburst or pagoda mirror above!

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@Pudgybaby - I love my DR table, too. Thank you! The chairs - not as much because they are too country. Like many, my tastes have changed -- my DR furniture is >20 y/o. Even if I upholster the back and seat, the angle of the chair legs still leave me wanting a better match with the table. I have my eye on replacement chairs that are more MCM-looking as well as a china cabinet. Budget, baby, budget... The link to Vermont Woods Studio is below. (The china cabinet is not from the same line; it's Ethan Allen.)

I wanted dark, sleek hardwood floors. My house is on a slab within a couple hundred yards of the wetlands that border a tidal river. During those nor'easters and hurricanes I tremble waiting to float away. Carpet is more easily replaced! So carpet it was. Then it had to withstand kitty messes. The light caramel color is forgiving. The walls -- they glow in the sunlight or by lamp light. So, I'm pleased with the functionality of the carpet and the form of the wall color. Together, as you said, they appear to blend. With help from GW'ers, I'll get the room to where the carpet doesn't matter and the walls are complemented by the furnishings. I just know it!

@jockewing - Thank you. Those lamps are from my childhood. When I was about 15, my mother asked my sister, brother and me what we each wanted of hers. I picked these lamps and her silver.

Here is a link that might be useful: DR Furniture

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@Pudgybaby - I love my DR table, too. Thank you! The chairs - not as much because they are too country. Like many, my tastes have changed -- my DR furniture is >20 y/o. Even if I upholster the back and seat, the angle of the chair legs still leave me wanting a better match with the table. I have my eye on replacement chairs that are more MCM-looking as well as a china cabinet. Budget, baby, budget... The link to Vermont Woods Studio is below. (The china cabinet is not from the same line; it's Ethan Allen.)

I wanted dark, sleek hardwood floors. My house is on a slab within a couple hundred yards of the wetlands that border a tidal river. During those nor'easters and hurricanes I tremble waiting to float away. Carpet is more easily replaced! So carpet it was. Then it had to withstand kitty messes. The light caramel color is forgiving. The walls -- they glow in the sunlight or by lamp light. So, I'm pleased with the functionality of the carpet and the form of the wall color. Together, as you said, they appear to blend. With help from GW'ers, I'll get the room to where the carpet doesn't matter and the walls are complemented by the furnishings. I just know it!

@jockewing - Thank you. Those lamps are from my childhood. When I was about 15, my mother asked my sister, brother and me what we each wanted of hers. I picked these lamps and her silver.

Here is a link that might be useful: DR Furniture

• Oakley
    12 years ago

To me, your room has a sophistication that would be ruined and unbalanced by putting a turquoise chest in the corner.

Those are my thoughts exactly. The chest painted turquoise would stick out like a sore thumb. Also, you have some "pop" in the room with your bright green chairs ,which look different in the second set of pictures.

As far as painting the chest, I would do it because it's not an antique or anything. My apologies if it is. lol.

If you painted though, I just don't know what color you could use that wouldn't draw attention to it in a bad way? I kind of like the plum idea. It's a beautiful color & doesn't scream "look at me!."

I'd replace the hardware too. I hate the following word I'm going to use, but the hardware does look "dated."

• Oakley
    12 years ago

I need a LOT of wine and popcorn just so I can figure out how the next to the last syllable in a word, "penultimate" or a person in a conversation or hosting a conversation "interlocutors" have anything to do with the topic?

Sorry Rm, but it cracked me up! I think we have a bit of "abundance" going on her. lol

Carry on, I'm learning quite a bit from you two!

• InteriorStylist
    12 years ago

LOL oakleyok!!!

Anyway...let me go on record as saying that I prefer the aqua to turquoise, as I believe turquoise is too harsh. But aqua could be interesting without being overbearing...as you say, java, & rightly so, the turquoise looks great with mostly neutrals, plus, it also reads better in a little larger room. But with the green & purple, I think the aqua could be daring while soft. Enough color to create interest on the floor without too much contrast. Then the aqua mirror & wood cabinet that you found. IDK...I just "SEE" that. Yes it WILL work with the Hollywood look & with the green if it's the right value.

Not trying to impose my will here, but we got a little off track with the turquoise (among other things lol - don't be scared - rmkitchen & I are just 2 talented people with strong wills & we're gonna be great friends), so I'd like you to still consider aqua.

~Jeana

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    12 years ago

Penultimate. Interlocutors.

Dear God do I LOVE me a meaty design topic explored via a thoughtful, well-wordsmithed, long Garden Web thread.

There's no place else on the interwebs like the GW forums.

;)

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

A very sad thing happened - the thrift store sold my chest (already paid for!) to someone else. Not sure how it *really* happened (he said/she said), but I had my receipt and got my money back. So I'm starting over to find a chest of the right fit, form and function. I did, however, pick up some new pillows in various shades of dark turquoise, aqua, brown, and green to try out. Patterns, too! A big move for me. Pictures will have to wait until I return home and try them out.

• InteriorStylist
    12 years ago

OOOOOOhhhh...that IS sad, Java!!! But you know, I've always found that these things are a blessing in disguise. Just means that you get to still shop!!! :-)

~Jeana

• gr8daygw
    12 years ago

so sorry, but you need more of a POJ to paint. That piece didn't look like a POJ (piece of junk) it still looked pretty nice. So maybe it escaped when it got wind of the paint rumor!!! I think you can find something more in line with Centsational Girl's $25 peacock blue chest that you would be guilt free stripping the veneer off of. All the best to you and can't wait to see what you come up with : )

• gr8daygw
    12 years ago

so sorry, but you need more of a POJ to paint. That piece didn't look like a POJ (piece of junk) it still looked pretty nice. So maybe it escaped when it got wind of the paint rumor!!! I think you can find something more in line with Centsational Girl's $25 peacock blue chest that you would be guilt free stripping the veneer off of. All the best to you and can't wait to see what you come up with : )