Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
twg7590

Anyone paint a gold mirror frame oil rubbed bronze color?

twg7590
15 years ago

Hi. As talented as this group is, I am hoping that some of you have transformed gold framed mirrors into an oil rubbed bronze finish.

I am working on updating our powder room and I have a beautiful mirror that has a gold frame around it. It fits perfectly in the space, but it looks horrible with the new Oil rubbed bronze light fixtures, faucets, etc.

Any advice on the best technique to use to create a bronze finish on the frame?

Thanks!

Comments (7)

• jynxed23
    15 years ago

This isn't exactly ORB but I couldn't stand my gold frame so I used black acrylic paint and an antiquing medium (from Michael's). I think the materials came out to $3.

Before

After

• moremoremore
    15 years ago

I've done mirrors and fixtures....I love spray paint...bc it goes on evenly if you're careful...I found really cute lights from Lowes for cheap and got a great oil rubbed bronze spray paint from Lowes! good luck!

p.s. I don't notice the mirror with that ADORABLE baby in the backround :)

• abundantblessings
    15 years ago

I've used jinxed's method with Michael's supplies and added leafing. Take a look at expensive framing before deciding what will look best in your room and then duplicate.

• redbazel
    15 years ago

I used a couple of small 99cent bottles of Michael's craft paint in bronze & copper, and applied them with a small sea sponge to a 1950's mirror that I bought for $35 at an estate sale a couple of years ago. For a while I tried to use the mirror with it's gilded looking finish, but it was just too kitschy. I had no rhyme or reason. I am not crafty. But GeorgiaGal had turned me on to how easy it can be to use cheap craft paint to turn a Miss into a Hit. (I may have also used part of a bottle of Sophisticated Finishes Blonde Bronze from Home Depot on this mirror/don't remember....The SF is more money, maybe about $8 a bottle.)

Here is my mirror on my sage walls now. I don't have a Before pic.

{{!gwi}}

Red

• orie
    15 years ago

I'll tell you what I did. I took the lazy way out with my mirrors. I had 2 that were also gold and I took a stencil brush and some umber colored paint. I dry-brushed them until I got the coverage I wanted. My mirrors have some detail so I had to use the stencil brush so I could tap the paint into crevices. You can do the same with black paint or whatever color you choose to use. I actually bought the small containers of paint from the craft store for this project. Cheap paint and cheap labor and you can't even tell it was done. Looks awesome.

• twg7590
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone! You have given me great ideas. I will be sure and post pictures when I get it done. I really appreciate your helpful advice.