Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boys4me

Decorating a living room

boys4me
9 years ago

We built our house last year and have been slowly getting every thing put together. The room I am stuck on is our living room. We have a stone fireplace with windows flanking it on one wall, our TV console on one wall and the rest is open to the kitchen and entry way. I have creamy white burlap panels for the windows. Our rug is a karastan ashara in Agra ivory and the couch is a pale solid grey with a little bit of texture. I am trying to pick a fabric to cover 2 tub chairs and have a hard time combining patterns. Also, looking for suggestions for the blank wall behind the TV console. I have attached a picture of the rug with a swatch of fabric that I like. Does the geometric fabric go with the rug? Any suggestions on the fabric and/ or what to do on the wall (decorative, not paint) would be most appreciated!

This post was edited by boys4me on Sun, Sep 28, 14 at 8:52

Comments (16)

• boys4me
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a picture of the room as well

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

With the colors in the rug and the style of your room, I'd recommend you consider IKAT style fabrics.

I've pulled the 4 primary colors from your rug which you can use in searching for a fabric. I don't think you want to select any geometric that is too 'hard edged', nor one that contains pure white. It just won't work with the rug or your room.

• msrose
    9 years ago

Sorry, but I don't see that fabric going with that rug.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

The problem I have with your fabric swatch is the backgrounds in the rug are warm beige tones while the fabric is stark white...too much contrast.

Whether ikat or not, you'll notice the fabrics beverly is showing are with the warm beige tones to blend with the rug.

Rather than have the 3 long frames on the left, you can place them end to end together to make one long arrangement above the TV

• kswl2
    9 years ago

I think Beverly's Ikat suggestion is a good one, if you want the feel of a geometric but softer. I would pull out sage green for the primary color of the chairs. I am curious, though, as to why you selected a gray sofa for the off white / beige / red / sage rug and tan paint?

The gray sofa would look great with the swatch of fabric you chose, but not with all the other elements. To tie everything together, I would try to find pillows or a throw that incorporates gray with the other colors In your rug.

With respect to the wall behind the TV, most anything you put in he wall will be a distraction from the television, unless you do a whole gallery wall of paintings or photographs that uses the TV screen as another piece of that puzzle. Alternatively, you could simply put two prints on either side of the tv (higher than it, of course) or if you wanted to keep it very simple you could paint just that wall a more reddish or darker tan and call it a day. The three photo collages you have there currently are too small to stand on their own and are misplaced. I would put them elsewhere unless your idea is to incorporate them into a gallery wall-- and then nothing would be In straight lines as shown. Love the fireplace, wall color, and rug!

• boys4me
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beverly27- thank so you much for the ideas! I like a couple of the swatches you showed a lot. I will look for a warmer background- I don't think the lighting in the picture does my swatch much justice because it isn't as start white in person as it looks on the picture, however it isn't as warm as some of the other choices.

Kswl, as to your question about the couch- we actually had it prior to the rug. It has a hint of blue undertones, so it pulls out some of the blue in the detail. The walls are what the builder offered. They will come back in and repaint at the end of our first year when they fix the nail pops and such, however they would not have repainted the walls if we had gone with a custom color. Our house has a very open floor plan so we haven't decided what direction to go with if we decide to change the paint. Ironically I wasn't super excited about it when we chose it, but I have had a ton of compliments on the color :)
    I really like the idea of two larger prints on either side of the TV. Two questions for you- the ceiling is 12 feet and the crown molding comes down 1 foot from the ceiling. How high on the wall would you hang the pictures and would you put anything on the floor (plant, basket etc) or just leave the space open?
    I really appreciate everyone's input!

• Olychick
    9 years ago

Here are some ideas for art on tv walls:

I like this because it's asymmetrical, but not everyone likes that

I think the photo frames you have are too small to line up over the top of the tv, but this might work with bigger pieces:

Or you could use them in an arrangement like this:

this uses fewer but larger pieces:

Here is a link that might be useful: tv canvas art shown above

• nutsaboutplants
    9 years ago

I second the warmer tone suggestion. The white and grey is too clinical looking for that rug. I also like the ikat suggestion and some of the patterns Beverley has posted. If you don't like traditional patterns, you could try simple striped fabrics with warm tones.

• teacats
    9 years ago

Another idea for botanical artworks around the TV .....

Here is a link that might be useful: Pin showing botanical prints around TV

• teacats
    9 years ago

Or how about this idea?

Here is a link that might be useful: Pin of artworks around TV

• teacats
    9 years ago

Perhaps this fabric? Plain but textured?

Here is a link that might be useful: Fabricguru.com -- Robert Allen fabric

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

How about Robert Allen Raised Geo in Lacquer red. This is a close-up of the pattern, its got a small repeat:

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Thank you for that additional info boys4me, it is really helpful for me to know how a room has evolved before making too many suggestions! I also like the wall color, it is a nice neutral with just enough color, and it looks great with your rug.

Playing around with the picture it looks as though a set of three prints, one directly over the television screen and two on either side, lower than the center one creating a sort of arched line over the TV, would be a better use of the space than two prints. Before you buy anything I would cut out shapes from brown kraft paper (horizontal rather than vertical for your space) and tape them to the wall to see what sizes and spacings look best. I'd probably start with the center shape, about 8-10" above the TV, then arrange the two others to the side and down, but not much more than 2 or 3" from the top of the TV, iykwim.

• ellendi
    9 years ago

Do you know the wall color? I need a good neutral for my daughter's new apartment.

• rgps
    9 years ago

I love the fabric pal posted. You could use some bold color in the room and red looks stunning with oriental rugs.

• teacats
    9 years ago

this is an interesting Robert Allen fabric -- textured red with a touch of grey woven through it ......good price too!

Here is a link that might be useful: Fabricguru.com -- maybe a solid red?

Sponsored
Kohlmark Flach Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Kohlmark Flach Architects: Enriching Lives Through Purposeful Design