Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amherst2012

Economical wood blind ideas

amherst2012
11 years ago

We are building a new home which is almost complete. We have been looking at blinds and are simply overwhelmed by the prices for simple wood blinds. At first I wanted to do motorzied for the formal, sitting and family rooms, but NextDay blinds is charging us $550 per shade. When we factor the amount of windows we need to cover, cica, 25, we are evaluting the motorzied option. I do nto want to pay more for blinds than my deck. The windows are on average 36x60 with some that are 37x70, and a few that are custom due to various size abnormalties. We are located in Northern Virginia, Loudon County. Any suggestions you can offer would be helpful. Thanks.

Comments (10)

• graywings123
    11 years ago

When I was buying blinds, including some motorized, I bought them on-line. I made a spreadsheet of the internet sellers and their prices for the sizes I wanted. At any given time, one internet seller may be offering discounts that others don't. Sometimes they all have sales on one item because the manufacturer is offering a discount. Comfortex had rebates all summer, but that ended 8/31.

A lot of people buy pricier window coverings for public rooms in the house and less expensive ones for, say, guest rooms. Take a trip down to Potomac Mills and look at Ikea's selection of inexpensive blinds.

And one moving day tip: take along a roll of waxed paper and some scotch tape. It will come in handy on the bathroom windows.

• mzdee
    11 years ago

I have wood blinds on my first floor, though not motorized. I got them from Overstock dot com. And they are gorgeous; still get many compliments on them. The front of my house gets very strong sun and they have not faded one bit in 4 years.

• amherst2012
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We found a great online vendor, http://www.blindster.com/

The online reviews and the quality of the products appear to be top notch. The prices are very reasonable. We just requested some samples to evaluate the differences between their quality and NextDay Blinds. Will send an update.

• graywings123
    11 years ago

Any on-line vendor is going to be cheaper than NextDay Blinds. The question is whether this company is cheaper than other online vendors, such as:

blinds.com
    blindschalet.com
    justblinds.com
    blindsaver.com
    americanblinds.com
    blindsgalore.com

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

We have JCPenney wood blinds on every room of our house. Great price & they have a variety of widths.

• EngineerChic
    11 years ago

We found similarly shocking pricing on cellular blinds, and I could not see paying nearly as much for blinds as I did for the dang window. My solution was good quality white roller shades. They look great from the outside and serve their purpose inside. I'll supplement with linen curtains someday, but I like these as a ~1 yr solution :)

• tuesday_2008
    11 years ago

I have JCP 1" basswood white blinds on all my bedroom windows. If I remember correctly, they are the same gsciencechick's. A 36" x 64" is currently $60. I know I paid less for them about 4 years ago back when they had "good sales". Love them.

Here is a link that might be useful: JCP blinds for comparison

• cakelly1226
    11 years ago

I agree with previous poster on blindster.com- they were very economical and had great customer service.

• Ilene Perl
    11 years ago

When I was looking for blinds for my kitchen I checked several sites wound up getting them from Budget Blinds. I get wood, they're not moterized because I wanted up down too, but are lined, their same price as if I measured them because of the sales. Also found discount coupon on their site I was able to use.

• cms_az
    11 years ago

I would recommend that you do not do what the previous owners of my home did. They went cheap and put in fake wood blinds. It always amazed me that they had such a beautiful home but put in such cheap window coverings. The blinds bend, stain and in general don't work well. You can tell just by looking at them how cheap they are. I am now having to spend money replacing and window coverings are expensive.