Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tons of Pics of my empty new home!!! BM colors needed!!!

Posted by misstifyftl (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 17, 10 at 8:26

Yes, it's me, "camo girl". I am the one with the thread agonizing over what goes with camo. I finally got some pics of my house, which closes Oct 17. Help!

My other thread was helping me with the decision to paint the main area camouflage BM, and what would coordinate with it as far as paint in other rooms.

Now that I have these pics, I am open to ANY color suggestions except tan, gold, or any shade of beige. I mentioned before that I am extremely color blind, and I think hiring an interior decorator is out of the question at this moment, so I am counting on you guys for some great color suggestions.

Here's a great inspiration pic I got on the other thread. I was thinking of doing something similar with the white boxes unpainted above the fireplace, the pic link below shows my great room from several angles and there are a lot of those boxes above the fireplace...maybe too many to leave unpainted?

Here's my house's main area:

Here are the formal living and dining, straddling the foyer. The only ideas I had was to go dramatic in the dining color and bright (as bright as can be expected that could go with camo) in the living. A few people have said those front two rooms need to be the same color, which I do not like but would consider.

One common thing I keep finding about the Camouflage paint color, is that a lot of people pick it, say they loved the sample, then use it and say they do not like it, but then it grows on them. This sounds like an emotional paint roller coaster to me. I want to just love a color but have yet to find a clean, crisp neutral that is not a gold or tan. UGH.

If this is not enough pics, I included the whole house link below, hope it works!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: MY NEW HOME!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
ignore all window treatments!

don't consider the window treatments for colors. as soon as we close, they are gone!

o
RE: Tons of Pics of my empty new home!!! BM colors needed!!!

I still say if you don't love the camo don't use it. How about a very neutral gray leaning on the warm side? It's also very "in" right now and then the blues you love would work beautifully with it. As for the fireplace wall, I'd pick a soft white for all the woodwork, and keep the inside of the boxes a lighter shade of whatever you pick for the walls. I'd then use that lighter color in the dr. I would also paint the ceilings a color since you have such high ceilings. Maybe that's where you pick up a green?

Of all the colors you've picked and we've suggested which ones speak to you so far? I think the best thing would be to try and work from those. BTW: the house looks spectacular and I know when you're finished it will look great.

o
cpartist

cpartist....thanks for jumping threads with me!

so far i have a list of every color suggested, with big hearts around all of them. it's rediculous. i am not good at narrowing down. lol. ask me an important question and i can make a decision quickly and confidently.... ask me about paint colors or what outfit to buy and i go to pieces. it's a flaw. i tend to be one of those that wear clothes that are 10 years old just to avoid shopping decisions, as you might be able to tell from my pink tank top in the slideshow. :)

i like your suggestion about a lighter color in the b
oxes and then in the DR. what about inside the bookshelves, on the back wall between each shelf? one shade darker than walls?

do you have any suggestions for the gray color you are talking about? i would love to check some out. i have only found slate type greys within the suggestions so far...or maybe i am blinder than i thought!

o
speaking of greys

assuming i did go with camo, i really truly like the color in the adjoining room of the candace pic. i would love to find out what it is. i have been all over her websites looking for a tag with no luck. any guesses? i would love to use that as my DR. i am also really loving bm gray wisp/rh silversage, but wonder if it is ok with camo.

o

What are the colors of your sofa's and chairs and rug?

o

Candice Olson's dining room paint colors are Benjamin moore
1.Walls-scc720 night train
2.dining room ceiling medalion-camouflage
3.dining room ceiling and trim-cc-40 cloud white
If you go to Devine Design's website you would go to the bottom left hand corner of the box and put the curser on view episode. From this you can switch episode. This particular episode is 1109 so you would go to the 1100 series. Again, once you find 1109, put the curser on "where does Candice shop". It lists the paint colors along with many other decorative details and resources.

Now that I see that you have a large open space I would almost be tempted to do something with a little more color. I chose camo because of the small space of my home. Your's is quite open and looks like you get plenty of light. You also have built-ins which breaks up the wall color whereas I have just solid walls with no millwork or built-ins.

o
thanks!!!!!!!!!

meg, thank you. i am so appreciative. i like night train!
what kind of color would you be tempted to do? ;)

newdawn, my sofas are icky ick. they are brown and beige and covered with kid dirt. i have 2 under 2, so the couches are really just a place where sippy cups like to leak. they will be replaced once the kids are out of this stage pretty soon, so i can do any colors really. i like the idea of light sofas with dark accents. the reality would be i would need some sofas that were scrubbable or kida dark i suppose.

o

Here's my new short list. not sure if these clash.

Camo
Night Train
Flora (will this go?)
kendall charcoal
jojoba
coastline
gray wisp

o

Ok, so I don't have any color recommendations but I will advocate for you to hire a designer for a color consultation. I think you will be very happy-I too, was overwhelmed when we moved in to our new home and it was the best $125 I ever spent. Little $$ for great satisfaction and piece of mind.

Your home is beautiful! Congratulations-

o

You seem to have an affinity for the grays which happens to be very in style now. I don't have a SW book so don't know what Flora, jojoba and coastline are. they are not in my BM book.

Why not use the kendall charcoal in the LR and the gray wisp in the halls. How dramatic with a soft white for woodwork would that be? Put the camo on the ceilings! It would be fabulous. Think white or off white leather, and then you can pick up just about any color for accents. Think lots of texture and how about using some metal and glass? How about red accents? Peach? all in very small doses of course. As for the DR, use the kendall charcoal. Then how about adding a pearl finish on top? That will lighten is slightly and give it a shimmer! As for the bookcases, either paint the same color, or how about finding a textural wallpaper in the same color?

btw: how do you feel about the chair rail in the LR? Since the house is now yours, go get small samples of the colors you love and paint on the wall in several places in the LR/DR/Hall. Look at it in all different light. The answer will come to you that way. Trust your instincts once you do.

o

You seem to have an affinity for the grays which happens to be very in style now. I don't have a SW book so don't know what Flora, jojoba and coastline are. they are not in my BM book.

Why not use the kendall charcoal in the LR and the gray wisp in the halls. How dramatic with a soft white for woodwork would that be? Put the camo on the ceilings! It would be fabulous. Think white or off white leather, and then you can pick up just about any color for accents. Think lots of texture and how about using some metal and glass? How about red accents? Peach? all in very small doses of course. As for the DR, use the kendall charcoal. Then how about adding a pearl finish on top? That will lighten is slightly and give it a shimmer! As for the bookcases, either paint the same color, or how about finding a textural wallpaper in the same color?

btw: how do you feel about the chair rail in the LR? Since the house is now yours, go get small samples of the colors you love and paint on the wall in several places in the LR/DR/Hall. Look at it in all different light. The answer will come to you that way. Trust your instincts once you do.

o
another idea

I just saw this and thought of your house.

Here is a link that might be useful: another idea

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here